Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 04, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Game picks up where the recent film, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, left off, although it takes liberties with the film's plot and incorporates elements of the comics and television series.

EA Knows That Knowing Is Half The Battle

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    I'm not even sure what this is supposed to be, but it was in with the press release. If it's the new GI Joe logo for the movie, I like the idea of the movie even less now. Wow, this caption's getting pretty long I should probably stop typing now. Anyway, hey, hi! How's it going tonight? Cool, cool. OK, gotta go. Laters!
    I'm not even sure what this is supposed to be, but it was in with the press release. If it's the new GI Joe logo for the movie, I like the idea of the movie even less now. Wow, this caption's getting pretty long I should probably stop typing now. Anyway, hey, hi! How's it going tonight? Cool, cool. OK, gotta go. Laters!
    Yep, Electronic Arts is working on a game featuring the G.I. Joe license. It announced that fact this morning, along with a long list of platforms and a loose "summer 2009" release window. The game will coincide with the theatrical release of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, which opens on August 7. So it's probably pretty safe to assume some sort of August release.

There aren't a ton of details available on what, exactly, the game is, though we do know it'll contain 12 playable characters, each with unique abilities. The game will also feature single-screen co-op play, which makes me guess that it won't be a standard first- or third-person shooter. So your "Gears of War, but with Dusty, Roadblock, Flint, and Snowjob" dreams are right out the window.

While it'll hit alongside the movie, the press release claims that it won't be directly based on the movie. Additionally, the game is being referred to as "G.I. Joe: The Game" rather than just piggybacking on the name of the movie. Here's the relevant portion of the press release:
    The G.I. JOE® video game will feature an exclusive storyline that picks up where the live-action movie leaves off, allowing players to re-create and re-live the greatest moments from the film, cartoon series and action figure toy line.
    Reliving moments from the movie, the cartoon, and the toy line (did the toys have "moments?") gives them a pretty wide berth in terms of story stuff. Hope they do some justice to the classics. In fact, here are the bits I'd like to see in the game. If you've been reading the site for any length of time, you probably already know the first one.

• The two-parter where Shipwreck gets put into a fake city full of synthoids because he has secret weapon plans embedded in his brain.
    • The rise of Serpentor.
    • The first miniseries where Cobra builds the teleporter and they fight underwater with all those big, white worms because they need different elements to power it.
    • The animated G.I. Joe movie, where Cobra Commander just sort of wanders around shouting "once a maaaaaaan!"
    • The Fred VII storyline from the comics.
    • The PSA where Roadblock wants to give out a body massage.
    • "The Viper" episode, where the window wiper with an accent leads Barbecue to uncover a ton of secret Cobra installations.
    • The two-parter where Dusty goes undercover and only Duke knows he's not a traitor... but DUKE IS IN A COMA DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN
    • The set where the Joes end up in an alternate dimension where The Baroness is a good guy and Steeler gets stung by a weird bug. Oh, and some of them stay behind to "fight the good fight."
    • The Eau de Cobra episode.
    • The episode where Cobra starts a fake rock band called Cold Slither and uses subliminal messages to mesmerize the world. This level would obviously use the Rock Band instruments.

OK, that's enough for a first game and like four sequels, so... uh... yeah. Anyway, G.I. Joe was awesome. I am fearful of my childhood being mined like this and think the movie looks like it could be decent, but not in the same way the show was. So I have my doubts about any game trying to ship in the wake of that. Especially now that I'm thinking about the existence of Cold Slither. You know the movie isn't going to have anything that amazing in it.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    Yep, Electronic Arts is working on a game featuring the G.I. Joe license. It announced that fact this morning, along with a long list of platforms and a loose "summer 2009" release window. The game will coincide with the theatrical release of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, which opens on August 7. So it's probably pretty safe to assume some sort of August release.

There aren't a ton of details available on what, exactly, the game is, though we do know it'll contain 12 playable characters, each with unique abilities. The game will also feature single-screen co-op play, which makes me guess that it won't be a standard first- or third-person shooter. So your "Gears of War, but with Dusty, Roadblock, Flint, and Snowjob" dreams are right out the window.

While it'll hit alongside the movie, the press release claims that it won't be directly based on the movie. Additionally, the game is being referred to as "G.I. Joe: The Game" rather than just piggybacking on the name of the movie. Here's the relevant portion of the press release:
    The G.I. JOE® video game will feature an exclusive storyline that picks up where the live-action movie leaves off, allowing players to re-create and re-live the greatest moments from the film, cartoon series and action figure toy line.
    Reliving moments from the movie, the cartoon, and the toy line (did the toys have "moments?") gives them a pretty wide berth in terms of story stuff. Hope they do some justice to the classics. In fact, here are the bits I'd like to see in the game. If you've been reading the site for any length of time, you probably already know the first one.

• The two-parter where Shipwreck gets put into a fake city full of synthoids because he has secret weapon plans embedded in his brain.
    • The rise of Serpentor.
    • The first miniseries where Cobra builds the teleporter and they fight underwater with all those big, white worms because they need different elements to power it.
    • The animated G.I. Joe movie, where Cobra Commander just sort of wanders around shouting "once a maaaaaaan!"
    • The Fred VII storyline from the comics.
    • The PSA where Roadblock wants to give out a body massage.
    • "The Viper" episode, where the window wiper with an accent leads Barbecue to uncover a ton of secret Cobra installations.
    • The two-parter where Dusty goes undercover and only Duke knows he's not a traitor... but DUKE IS IN A COMA DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN
    • The set where the Joes end up in an alternate dimension where The Baroness is a good guy and Steeler gets stung by a weird bug. Oh, and some of them stay behind to "fight the good fight."
    • The Eau de Cobra episode.
    • The episode where Cobra starts a fake rock band called Cold Slither and uses subliminal messages to mesmerize the world. This level would obviously use the Rock Band instruments.

OK, that's enough for a first game and like four sequels, so... uh... yeah. Anyway, G.I. Joe was awesome. I am fearful of my childhood being mined like this and think the movie looks like it could be decent, but not in the same way the show was. So I have my doubts about any game trying to ship in the wake of that. Especially now that I'm thinking about the existence of Cold Slither. You know the movie isn't going to have anything that amazing in it.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

But do they really know what they think they know, in a world where knowing is knowledge?

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By joshy9411

i guess it could be uh.... interesting

by the  way jeff, that is possibly the best use of the image captions that i have ever seen on the site. nice

McPlated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McPlated

Body massage machine GO!

Shane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Shane

I think I'm the only person on Earth who thought the trailer looked cool, seems a lot like x-men.

But then again I have no clue about the G.I. Joe series so It had no preconceptions to live up to.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Shane said:
    "I think I'm the only person on Earth who thought the trailer looked cool, seems a lot like x-men.

But then again I have no clue about the G.I. Joe series so It had no preconceptions to live up to."
    I actually thought it looked cool as well, and I'm in the same boat as you.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NinjaHunter
    LiquidPrince said:
    "But do they really know what they think they know, in a world where knowing is knowledge?"
    Dude, that is deep.
    Karumordu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karumordu

Knowing is half the hassle? No comments on the Mc Chris tat eh?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By maxszy

Well at least they are not basing it off the movie directly. That is one step in the right direction at any rate.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AllanIceman

This move can go either way....right now it's not looking good.

Jacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Jacy

Jeff broke my screen with that caption. How could you? I thought we had something special and stuff.

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't really know what to think of this right now. I immediately want to dismiss it but not having seen any gameplay, I cannot base that dismissal off of anything other than the fact that its a movie based (related) game

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive

i only read the picture caption. maybe ill read the article later. 

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jeff
    Karumordu said:
    "Knowing is half the hassle? No comments on the Mc Chris tat eh?"

If you think that mc chris came up with "knowing is half the battle" or the design of that tattoo then you need to get your learn on.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeff

this is a test message. hello hi howdy!

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coaxmetal

alright, give him the stick. DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!

Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By strangeling
    G.I. Joe: the Game? THE GAME? What's the point of that? They think we can't figure that out? I guess really stupid people may not be able to figure it out, but if the game's made with them in mind... I don't want to play it.
    Jeff kicked my nostalgia into gear with those moment suggestions though.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coaxmetal

in related news:

mom, dad, c'mere, you gotta see this...
    [crumbling rocks]

Shiii-

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By ahoodedfigure

My toy had moments.  I had Stalker, the Green Beret.  Brown skin, creepy mustache, decked out in camouflage.

I lost him in the grass at a friend's house, and it took my family 30 minutes to find the little bastard.

I don't think the game can help me relive that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

Intensive Snare!

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OmegaPirate

DONT GIVE HIME THE STICK!!!!

OOHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
    astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By astonish

The movie trailer showed no blue or red lasers and for that reason alone the movie will be a disappointment. They really should have done it with silly muscle suits, blue/red lasers, and kept up the over the top use of stereotyping of different races/lifestyles/cultures/etc.

Hopefully the game won't make the same mistake.
    oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldenglishc

"The Viper is coming". Awesome, Netflix time.

My childhood is still sore from when it was raped by the Transformers movie. I can't see this one being any better.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Media_Master

I thought the trailer looked cool too

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By erinfizz

God willing, this game does not let me relive and recreate stories about GI Joe's and Dazzle dolls dating and making out. <shudder>

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#27  Edited By Spiritof

This is totally the right place to post this:

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#28  Edited By Spiritof
    "The G.I. JOE® video game will feature an exclusive storyline that picks up where the live-action movie leaves off, allowing players to re-create and re-live the greatest moments from the film, cartoon series and action figure toy line."

Reading that again it strikes me as strange. If the game takes place right after the ending of the film, how can you re-live the greatest moments of film if the greatest moments have already happened? Does this mean that the Joes end up on Lost island at the end of the film or something?
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By skrutop

So if the game is based on the cartoon, does that mean that your squad of Joes will fire lasers that NEVER HIT ANYTHING?

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By creamclouds

you know what?!
    G.I Joe? .......... .... .... *sigh*

Watever man

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By super_machine

Re-live moments from the action figure toy line? So in the game there will be guys melted with burning gasoline and dudes impaled with sticks of dynamite, then blown to bits?

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gunswordfist

man that sounds beyond awesome and Jeff you just made me want to get the cartoon series, the cartoon movie and ALL the comics.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By End_Boss
    super_machine said:
    "Re-live moments from the action figure toy line? So in the game there will be guys melted with burning gasoline and dudes impaled with sticks of dynamite, then blown to bits?"
    You sick bastard.
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MichaelBach

I hope they don't mess this one up. The franchise have enough stuff in it for some great gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, they know knowing is half the battle. That's half the battle.

Sorry.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Man, every game that comes out based on a movie always seems to suck really, really bad. I can't wait to pass on this piece of shit.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By DukeTogo

Remake the C64 game for VC, and dig up the Konami Devastators version.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kohe321

Can't say I'm looking forward to this at all XD

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FlipperDesert

Is it bad that I've watched all those PSA spoofs twice in a row over the space of a day once? Body massage!

The film doesn't look bad exactly, but I dunno how close it is to the source material as I'm English.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmegaPirate

seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By seram

I'd only look forward to this if it was a long string of PSA's.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Snail

Laters!

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hitchenson

@ SpiritOf. That video you posted, that last bit. I actually laughed out loud, so funny... "Awww, hell no. Hey dog" xD

CallMeRotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CallMeRotten
    spartan1017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By spartan1017

got to get tough... go joe!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#46  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

The limited edition should have a separate DVD that has every single GI Joe PSA, or maybe I could unlock them as I play the game.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Dryker

Ahhh, the EA everyone knows... and loves?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By jakob187

Soooooo....EA is making a Gears of War clone with the G.I. Joe name that will more than likely be somewhere in-between Gears of War and 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand?  Eh, I guess you've gotta balance out both ends of the spectrum somehow.  Just sucks that they are doing it with our childhood.  =  /

As long as I can have a massively epic fight between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes...without any form of context sensitive button mashing...then I'll play it more than once.  = D
    Giant_Squid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Giant_Squid

Re-Creating my favorite moments from the toy line would involve hurling your character off the top of the basement steps. Then flying around in the air while contorting yourself into all sorts of impossible position for no real reason other than to dodge imaginary missles...this games sounds bitchin!
    ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ToRo

Who's the chick in the background? It's the thumbnail of this story. The pic you see before you click on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.