Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

The Grand Theft Auto IV Hype Backlash

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jagt707
    At first it seemed like fringe malcontents groaning about this or that GTA IV had (or didn't have). I've noticed it becoming widespread, though, almost to the point where it's a common thing. It's quite noticeable here:
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Saints Row 2 is inferior to GTA IV. GTA IV is a masterpiece. Case closed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

GTA IV is my favorite of the series, but I haven't played Saints Row 2.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's a good game, but the moment it started winning every award was when people started getting a little annoyed. It's good, but I think most people don't think it's game of the year good. That's when the backlash began.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Rayfield

I played the first Saints Row to completion and was pissed off when *SPOILER* your character gets blown up at the end. No warning, no nothing. Just BOOM EXPLOSION YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD HERE NOW LOOK AT THESE CREDITS YOU CHUMP. Still slightly pissed off so probably won't get Saints Row 2.

Bought GTA4 when it was released. Was awesome.

Played it recently. Still awesome.

Don't really understand the backlash.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The game made a step forward, two steps back over and over for me.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jagt707

Jeff Gerstman score it a 5 out of 5, that means it's good right?

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jagt707

Jeff Gerstman score it a 5 out of 5, that means it's good right?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I still think it's a phenomenal game. It's my pick for 2008 GOTY and also one of the best games of this gen, without question. It is rather ridiculous that all of the hype has had such a severe backlash. I think people were just too disappointed that it wasn't quite like the old GTA games. With GTAIV, GTA has grown up, and I think that's for the best.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jagt707

A lot of gamers love it here, they hate the game at the Escapistmagazine.com forums.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i happen to light Saints row 2 more

saints row 2 is like GTA: san andreas but more ridiculous
    musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By musdy

I thought that most of the reviews just ignored a lot of the games issues.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "I still think it's a phenomenal game. It's my pick for 2008 GOTY and also one of the best games of this gen, without question. It is rather ridiculous that all of the hype has had such a severe backlash. I think people were just too disappointed that it wasn't quite like the old GTA games. With GTAIV, GTA has grown up, and I think that's for the best."
    That is the best way to put it. +1 for neutral viewpoints I guess.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jagt707
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "I still think it's a phenomenal game. It's my pick for 2008 GOTY and also one of the best games of this gen, without question. It is rather ridiculous that all of the hype has had such a severe backlash. I think people were just too disappointed that it wasn't quite like the old GTA games. With GTAIV, GTA has grown up, and I think that's for the best."
    So many people don't realize that it's a more mature Grand Theft Auto? I haven't played it yet. I know a lot of gamers say that the storyline takes it self too seriously. Than again a lot of gamers take the MGS franchise stories seriously which is sad.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kratos81

I thought it was a great game up until I got about 32% done with the game. For some reason it got real boring and I never finished the game and traded it in. I have never felt the desire to ever play the game again.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I have been poo poooing on GTA 4 since day one i never liked GTA to begin with but GTA san andreas was just fun cause it was truely a sandbox game i could go any where and do any thing GTA 4 gave up the sandbox for story and cinematics and good graphics.

Silverevilchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silverevilchao

My problem with GTAIV is that it's not particularly revolutionary or innovative in any way, shape, or form, that and the fact that it sure as hell is not flawless like some publications pass it off to be. It didn't "wow" me.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By atejas

Controls suck.
    It's too brown, I can't even see my enemies indoors sometimes.
    Then again, I didn't like SA either.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I got 2/3 of the way done, then while doing some mission for the Italians, I think,  I got so bored with that mission because it was the same thing they've asked me to do again, and again. There really is only 3-4 types of missions, except for the bank one, that one was phenomenal. I only started playing it again recently, and then Saints Row arrived, and I haven't gone back since.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    ZombieHunter said:
    "i happen to light Saints row 2 more
    saints row 2 is like GTA: san andreas but more ridiculous
    "
    Haven't played either of the games, however, I have a friend who has played both SR2 and GTA IV. He thought that GTA IV was the worst in the series, saying that the mission variety was bad, the story and characters were boring, the combat was boring, and the game world was bland and not life-like. Says it's by far the most overrated game this year. He liked SR2 much more, saying it is very well written and very funny, and that it doesn't take itself seriosly and has better mission design and variety. From what I've seen, SR2 looks a hell of a lot more fun that GTA IV.
    DiCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DiCo

everyone has being playing gta for awhile now

it started out ahead ("untouchable")

now other games have caught up, so people talk shit about it now.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jagt707

Now the game is getting a lot of negative reactions.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Hexpane
    jagt707 said:
    "At first it seemed like fringe malcontents groaning about this or that GTA IV had (or didn't have). I've noticed it becoming widespread, though, almost to the point where it's a common thing. It's quite noticeable here: http://digg.com/gaming_news/Zero_Punctuation_Saint_s_Row_2 not to mention in the SR2 Yahtzee review.

When GTA IV came out, it was untouchable. Now poo-pooing the game is acceptable if not encouraged, like the phenomenon of it being cool to dislike whoever's on top. What do you think of this backlash in the gaming culture against GTA IV? Do you think any of the complaints have validity? Do you think Saints Row 2 is a superior game than GTA IV?
    "
    Wait a second

Are you calling Zero Punch "Fringe malcontents"? uhhh no

The problems w/ GTA4 have nothing to do w/ "whoever is on top"   The problems are very real.  Name one mini game/activity from GTA4 that is fun and has good gameplay?  Bowling? Darts?  Going out to eat?

Was cousin balky calling you every 30 minutes not the most annoying thing going?  (But you can turn it off!) yes you can disable core gameplay design features because they are so damn annoying.. yipee?

GTA:SA is clearly a much better game.   GTA4 is not bad by any stretch but this isnt just "haters" I friggin LOVE the GTA series, but GTA4 has too many "I can't wait til this part ends so I can get to the fun stuff" moments.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jagt707
    Hexpane said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "At first it seemed like fringe malcontents groaning about this or that GTA IV had (or didn't have). I've noticed it becoming widespread, though, almost to the point where it's a common thing. It's quite noticeable here: http://digg.com/gaming_news/Zero_Punctuation_Saint_s_Row_2 not to mention in the SR2 Yahtzee review.

When GTA IV came out, it was untouchable. Now poo-pooing the game is acceptable if not encouraged, like the phenomenon of it being cool to dislike whoever's on top. What do you think of this backlash in the gaming culture against GTA IV? Do you think any of the complaints have validity? Do you think Saints Row 2 is a superior game than GTA IV?
    "
    Wait a second

Are you calling Zero Punch "Fringe malcontents"? uhhh no

The problems w/ GTA4 have nothing to do w/ "whoever is on top"   The problems are very real.  Name one mini game/activity from GTA4 that is fun and has good gameplay?  Bowling? Darts?  Going out to eat?

Was cousin balky calling you every 30 minutes not the most annoying thing going?  (But you can turn it off!) yes you can disable core gameplay design features because they are so damn annoying.. yipee?

GTA:SA is clearly a much better game.   GTA4 is not bad by any stretch but this isnt just "haters" I friggin LOVE the GTA series, but GTA4 has too many "I can't wait til this part ends so I can get to the fun stuff" moments."
    I haven't played the game yet so I'm not one to judge.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By shadows_kill
    DiCo said:
    "

everyone has being playing gta for awhile now

it started out ahead ("untouchable")

now other games have caught up, so people talk shit about it now.

"
    i have been saying it sucks pretty much since release..
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jagt707

But Jeff Gerstmann gave GTA IV a 5. :(

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Win

I thought it was a good game, but it kinda unwinded in the last 20% of the story and became uninteresting. I probably am not the first person to notice these things but

************* SPOILERS *****************
    They left a lot of loose ends, with Bulgarin getting away and with the oldest McReary brother still in jail. I mean they made it clear that they cut out a jail heist mission from the end of game.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jagt707

GTA IV is getting a lot of backlash than I've ever thought it could get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.