Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grief Beard

Concept »

A grief beard is facial hair that appears on a character after something tragic happens to them in a storyline. The amount of tragedy and how the character is handling it can often be seen in the beard itself.

The forums are getting a little depressing...

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sweep said:

Also I moved this to the Grief Beard forum.

This is why you're my favorite moderator.

That is pretty great.

@meatball said:

Honestly, the boards don't seem any different to how they've always been beyond the fact there's less activity?

Kind of this. I just use the top bar to browse the site so I never get confused or lost, and I just refresh the "forums" page to see what new threads pop up. Granted there are some things I miss from the old site which people here have covered quite a bit, but overall it seems fine.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A grief beard is facial hair that appears on a character after something tragic happens to him in a storyline. The amount of tragedy and how the man is handling it can often be seen in the beard itself.

Misogyny.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

In not as active on the forums as I used to be. The forums are are just a chore to navigate. Hope it gets better soon.

Littleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every single forum in the history of the internet has, on a six monthly basis, someone pop up and say 'I miss the good old days'. Not saying they're always wrong, but I've seen it on every single forum I've hung out on in the last 10-15 years, so it's kind of funny to me to see one within a few weeks of deciding to become more active on the GB forum.

Of course, that means I wasn't around for the particular good old days in question, so what do I know? I hear this place used to be great.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@rorie I'm thankful you are paying attention to the users concerns and taking the time to shift through them. Sometimes it feels like we don't have much of a voice. Our concerns and issues comes from a place of love for the website and we just want to see the forums be the best they can be. As good if not better than before. It's great to know you care about this as much as we do.

Yeah, I try my best to take in as many opinions on the sites as I can, but there's just so many avenues for feedback to come in that it's pretty tough to deal with all of it sometimes. Threads like this are pretty handy in that sense.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@castiel: Notifications should be working. Can you check your settings to see if they're flipped on?

I'm guessing everyone's notifications were turned off at one point somewhat recently, and--ironically--no one was notified that would be happening, so a great deal of people just assumed that the feature was broken. I know that is true for me.

Yeah, we had an issue with people getting email notifications without having them turned on, and I think when the fix for that went out a lot of site notifications were turned off for users as well by accident. Tough to get in touch with everyone on the forums to make that clear, unfortunately.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, feel free to ping me or reply to me in this thread with suggestions as to how the forums could be constructed better to foster discussion. I'd like to hear your ideas, especially w/r/t features that you feel the site redesign might have made the forums more difficult to use for you.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@punkxblaze said:

@sweep said:

Also I moved this to the Grief Beard forum.

This is why you're my favorite moderator.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@rorie said:

@castiel: Notifications should be working. Can you check your settings to see if they're flipped on?

I'm guessing everyone's notifications were turned off at one point somewhat recently, and--ironically--no one was notified that would be happening, so a great deal of people just assumed that the feature was broken. I know that is true for me.

Wow... well you helped one person here today. Just flipped that on.

Is there any chance that we could bring back mini bios and different colored user names? Those were great to help you get a little bit of perspective on people.

I would like this, not from a platform preference perspective as much as just a customization one. It did help users stick out to me in my mind. I always had a green name just because I liked my green name!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The website is more well known these days and there's new consoles coming out. Gotta pick sides, right?

Or ignore all of that and just treat anyone who attempts to discuss which console is "best" as the retarded children/man babies they are.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it could be better. I am not much into forums, but I was for a few days on IGN and GameSpot and they don't even have professional moderators. Lots of trolling, hideous sense of humor, bad quality posts, a scary majority of people with huge gaps of common knowledge. I find this forum very clean, simple, peaceful and it has some good threads from where you could learn something, or have a decent conversation. It is also balanced between maturity and playfulness.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm said:

@hailinel: MB has been busy for a while with personal things. I'm not sure how much he'd want to share with the larger community, so I'll just say it was a big deal and leave it at that. He should be back in full(ish) swing now.

He also kind of recently survived a helicopter crash.

MB walking away from helicopter crash without looking back PHOTOSHOP NOW.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@rorie: Thanks for responding to the concerns in this thread. We all just want this to be a better place, and it's good to know people are listening.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#164 Mento  Moderator

@rorie: Sup Rorie. I fear (valid) criticisms like these will continue to be a thing as long as the site is still half-broken. We lost so many bloggers after the redesign because the tools are so limited now, and it's difficult beyond ZP's sterling work with the Spotlight to get anything out there or to be reliably alerted to feedback or any number of problems that are still present.

Once the engineering team comes back from the GameSpot redesign and starts addressing the huge stack of reports you've probably been leaving in their inbox after listening to us whine for months, these sorts of thread will hopefully be less commonplace. I don't imagine the audience has gone away - I'm sure it can be verified that an equivalent number of visitors still tune in for all the video features each week - so it's simply a matter of fixing this place up a little to get the throngs back on the forums complaining about something besides the site.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would like to say that I am new to these forums and am disappointed with the content within them considering how thoughtful and well articulated the sites main content is... I thought it'd attract a more appealing audience of gamers as opposed to the likes of IGN and to a lesser extent Gametrailers.... but I can't say I'm not somewhat disappointed. I have no previous point of reference but no matter what gaming community I join I can't seem to escape the 'entitled brigade','fanboys' and 'trolls' and it's such a shame. I don't consider myself overly intelligent but I would like somewhat intelligent discussions about my hobby without a tidal wave of rage and ignorance.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's like, the site got more popular? Madness. The slobbering masses came, and they brought the internet with them.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#168  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@ said:

I don't think it could be better. I am not much into forums, but I was for a few days on IGN and GameSpot and they don't even have professional moderators.

GB doesn't have "professional moderators" either. We all do this in our spare time, and honestly, have you seen Sweep? There isn't a professional bone in his body.

@the_laughing_man said:

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Face it, the community died when Levio91 was banned.

Nah I kid. But the golden days of this website this happened when it was still small enough for them. It was the online Cheers bar of video-games!

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my biggest problems is knowing when someone responded to a post. The notifications used to help a lot, but now I usually never go back and check for replies.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By squiDc00kiE

@littleg: You know...You're right. Every site goes through changes in audience. I just had hoped Giant Bomb's users would stay grown up a little longer. Maybe that's just me and I've happened upon more bad than good. As long as the cool people keep being cool then everything's awesome.

And yeah to all the people saying their notifications stopped popping... go into your settings. You need to recheck the boxes.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By 34f3ecwdc3
    @chaser324 said:

@ said:

I don't think it could be better. I am not much into forums, but I was for a few days on IGN and GameSpot and they don't even have professional moderators.

GB doesn't have "professional moderators" either. We all do this in our spare time, and honestly, have you seen Sweep? There isn't a professional bone in his body.

I didn't meant moderators with a degree in IT. I saw some moderators taking everything too personally, they are not fully impartial in their actions.

If there's an interesting thread, people will come. People don't stop coming into other threads, because of other less interesting and immature threads. It's called variety anyways.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 said:

@the_laughing_man said:

DONE

THREAD CLOSED

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By EuanDewar

@snail said:

Face it, the community died when Levio91 was banned.

Nah I kid. But the golden days of this website this happened when it was still small enough for them. It was the online Cheers bar of video-games!

im not even joking when i say the community died when HitmanAgent47 was banned.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks so much for even listening! I'd say priority #1 is to just get the recent feed on the home page stable so it's always there. For users new and old alike, its disappearance makes it easy to forget the forums even exist. Let alone the nature of new (potentially interesting) threads just getting buried because no one saw it in time to comment before it got scrolled down and out of view.

(also, don't worry about writing new content. I know a pretty good blog that you could just crib some shit from.)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Can someone answer me this, is the site being worked on for an update to fix the broken aspects of it like the awful video player and add back old features like achievements and quests? I mean this feels like a beta that has lasted too long at this point, and it plays a large part in why I have not yet resubscribed, instead showing my support by buying shirts.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#178  Edited By mike

@chaser324 said:

@

@the_laughing_man said:

classic

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

Can someone answer me this, is the site being worked on for an update to fix the broken aspects of it like the awful video player and add back old features like achievements and quests? I mean this feels like a beta that has lasted too long at this point, and it plays a large part in why I have not yet resubscribed, instead showing my support by buying shirts.

The development staff is currently focused on the GameSpot redesign. Fixing Giant Bomb's bugs is their next task, but the vast majority of the bugs are on hold until the new GameSpot is launched in a few weeks.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@chaser324 said:

@the_laughing_man said:

classic

O SHIT HES HERE! QUE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE MUSIC!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moving legitimate criticism to a dead concept page board is a bitch move mods. Seriously...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Moving legitimate criticism to a dead concept page board is a bitch move mods. Seriously...

.... wow. Yeah no mods and Rorie himself didn't jump in. And it hasn't been getting solid posts all day.

Relax and get a grip dude.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Indeed. I loved visiting the forums here pre-redesign (as my post count indicates), but I don't feel compelled to much anymore. Activity has dropped down significantly and it seems like a lot of the interesting discussion that took place here previously has been replaced by... other stuff. Not to mention that things are busted.

I also am starting to question the moderation more than I did before, but I might just be remembering some previous, specific instances that occurred a while back and not recently.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#185  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@fluxwavez: You don't need to go into specifics about past things you feel we may have messed up, but if there's anything you think us mods could be doing better, please let us know.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well now I'm super depressed and miss the good ol' days.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about anyone else, but all the social justice crusaders killed any interest I have in posting here. Enjoy the content and go about your day, OP.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about anyone else, but all the social justice crusaders killed any interest I have in posting here. Enjoy the content and go about your day, OP.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to identify and avoid those threads.

@fluxwavez: You don't need to go into specifics about past things you feel we may have messed up, but if there's anything you think us mods could be doing better, please let us know.

I think you guys do a good job, for the most part, but there are areas where I think you could do better. If I can find the words to really express my concerns, I'll send the lot of you and Rorie a message.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The forums are constantly broken, and this is the first new gen in a long time. In fact, this may be the first new console cycle for a lot of people on this site, so they are getting even more into the hype and controversy than they probably would otherwise.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

It's hard to say why exactly this has happened, probably a lot of factors contributed.

I really do think it's a bit sad that blogging community here has really been decimated. That's where the best gaming discussions happened for me anyway. We've got some great prolific bloggers who are still active like@mento, @arbitrarywater, @majormitch, @grantheaslip and some guy who call himself @video_game_king all who don't get the readership they deserve.

I think mainly comes down to the forum discussions being less about actual games and gaming and more about off-topic/business/News or social issues however/why-ever that happened. All of us here like games, we all probably have really different polarizing views on things like social issues.

@jasonr86 said:

Drawing attention to these particular issues won't make them go away. It'll just feed it. Rather be a part of the good threads and ignore the shit threads so that good threads become popular and the shit threads die out.

This is the best answer I've seen so far and something I personally ought to redouble my own personal efforts to do.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The forums are constantly broken, and this is the first new gen in a long time. In fact, this may be the first new console cycle for a lot of people on this site, so they are getting even more into the hype and controversy than they probably would otherwise.

Yeah, it's kind of funny when you look at it that way. For a lot of us, the hype of a new console cycle is old news. I mean, I'm looking forward to the PS4, but I'm not so anxious to play it that I'll throw my PS3 out the door the moment it arrives. I probably won't even hook it up until after I play Lightning Returns next year. But for those that are so young that the PS4 or Xbox One will be perhaps their second console ever, this is a mind-blowing transition.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which is why I think a debate forum that people could filter out would be the solution to this problem. It's easy enough to avoid those threads, but I'm sure that some people don't even want to see the titles.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Monkeyman04

@spaceinsomniac: I think if there was a separate place for debates it will just turn into nothing but flame bait threads, but I guess that all debate threads are to being with.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Hailinel

@spaceinsomniac: I think if there was a separate place for debates it will just turn into nothing but flame bait threads, but I guess that all debate threads are to being with.

GameSpot has a forum called System Wars where they allow all of their worst fanboys to just have at it. (Or at least, that was the case when I last visited the site years ago.) It's as bad as you think, and I can't imagine a forum dedicated to debate topics being any better.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@monkeyman04 said:

GameSpot has a forum called System Wars where they allow all of their worst fanboys to just have at it. (Or at least, that was the case when I last visited the site years ago.) It's as bad as you think, and I can't imagine a forum dedicated to debate topics being any better.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Or the off-topic section of GS is just the WORST!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with that solution is that tons of people visit the forums by simply hitting that Forums tab up on the upper right. With a dedicated flame bait board, these people will still be seeing the most recent topics made regardless of where its from.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@hailinel said:

@monkeyman04 said:

It's not supposed to actually make anything better. Everything will be the same, but you could filter it out if you wanted to, and the standard forums link wouldn't show any posts that have anything to do with these "social justice crusaders," as someone else put it.

The problem with that solution is that tons of people visit the forums by simply hitting that Forums tab up on the upper right. With a dedicated flame bait board, these people will still be seeing the most recent topics made regardless of where its from.

Not if the forum filters actually were fixed and worked the way that they're supposed to. That's the point. If you don't want to see topics like that, you shouldn't have to.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

I found this place nearly impossible to visit after the reveal of the X1 and PS4. It has gotten better in the past few weeks, but it was just ridiculous at one point and totally drove me away from responding and replying.

Hi Friend,

My name is AlexGlass and I'd like to talk with you about the virtues of the Xbox One.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.