Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Van Halen

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 22, 2009

The third band-specific Guitar Hero offering from Activision, Guitar Hero: Van Halen allows you to play as America's greatest hard rock band.

No Hagar, Anthony in Guitar Hero: Van Halen

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    They don't seem thrilled about it, either.
    When it comes to Van Halen, I, like all people of decent character and sound genetic makeup, prefer the Diamond Dave era over Van Hagar by leaps and bounds, but there's no denying that Sammy Hagar is an important and significant part of Van Halen's history. So, yeah, it's kind of a bummer that Activision has confirmed that you won't be seeing the Red Rocker in Guitar Hero: Van Halen. But leaving out long-time bassist Michael Anthony in favor of Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, seems a little more insulting to fans.

MusicRadar, the site that originally reported on this, posits that Eddie Van Halen's rocky relationships with Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar--who are currently working together in a band called Chickenfoot alongside Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith and Joe Satriani--could be the reason for their omission from the game. If it's true, it's unfortunate, but either way, ignoring the existence of key band members when the whole point of the game is to celebrate the band just seems like a bad idea. But, to be fair, I'm still more interested in Guitar Hero: Van Halen than, say, Guitar Hero: Chickenfoot.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    When it comes to Van Halen, I, like all people of decent character and sound genetic makeup, prefer the Diamond Dave era over Van Hagar by leaps and bounds, but there's no denying that Sammy Hagar is an important and significant part of Van Halen's history. So, yeah, it's kind of a bummer that Activision has confirmed that you won't be seeing the Red Rocker in Guitar Hero: Van Halen. But leaving out long-time bassist Michael Anthony in favor of Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, seems a little more insulting to fans.

MusicRadar, the site that originally reported on this, posits that Eddie Van Halen's rocky relationships with Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar--who are currently working together in a band called Chickenfoot alongside Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith and Joe Satriani--could be the reason for their omission from the game. If it's true, it's unfortunate, but either way, ignoring the existence of key band members when the whole point of the game is to celebrate the band just seems like a bad idea. But, to be fair, I'm still more interested in Guitar Hero: Van Halen than, say, Guitar Hero: Chickenfoot.
    PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By PLWolf

Remember, Jason Newstead isn't in GH: Metallica either. So yeah, I expected this.

shinyd3mon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shinyd3mon

I would totally play Guitar Hero: Chickenfoot.

I'd even try my hand at Guitar Hero: Turkeybeak, and I'm especially psyched for Guitar Hero: Cockwattle.

tjdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By tjdoom

Cliff Burton isn't in GH: Metallica either. Not even unlockable.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

Who?

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JokerClown88

Agreed 100%

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

I expected Hagar to not be in this game, but Anthony? Seriously? Wolfgang has only been here for about 2 or so years and he can't replace Michael Anthony at all. Well, maybe this is a better reason for me to not buy this game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm definitely glad Hagar is out. As for Anthony, I won't pretend that I knew who he was, but yeah, it's a bummer he won't be in the game if he was their original bassist. Whatever, though. All I really need is David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, and their awesome music.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By TomA

I would play a Guitar Hero:Joe Satriani anyday!

wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By wafflestomp

Total dick move, Edward.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayzilla

it's all about royalties to those guys. van halen hasn't been cool in twenty years anyways. so w/e.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phished0ne
    @tjdoom: Thats different, Cliff is dead, it would be impossible for the them to make a Cliff model of the same quality as the rest of the band, so that makes sence.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Out_On_Bail

This knocks my interest in the game way more than just a notch.  A Van Halen game without Hagar is blasphemous.

master_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By master_prophet

Activision needs to just stop.  Sreiously, they destroyed Tony Hawk by having installments every year, and now we get six guitar hero titles in one year (well I should rephrase that "Hero" titles, but still).  Do we need a full game devoted to Van Halen?  No.  We didn't need a full game devoted to Aerosmith or Metallica either.  I'm just Guitar Hero'd out though.  Bring on The Beatles Rock Band and that's pretty much it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

And......fail

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PuppyKisses

Guitar Hero: Revisionist History

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spike94
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    "This knocks my interest in the game way more than just a notch.  A Van Halen game without Hagar is blasphemous. "

Yes, thank you, I wholeheartedly agree.

Dudes, Hagar rocked as the frontman. Yeah, of course I loved them when they had David too, but I also love the Hagar period.
    kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By kratos

Good! Well Hegar sad Anthony isn't in but it's cool DLR will heal all our pains, I'm guessing the guy from Extreme isn't in it either lol haha. Van Hagar can suck my dick!

GeekyrBossMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GeekyrBossMan

Thing is Diamond Dave was a way better showman, but the music definitely was better under Hagar, not that the DLR days were bad.  I am not surprised at Sammy not being in the game, but Mike Anthony not being in?  Man Eddie needs to get off the ego trip.

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By count_zero

I must admit I'm a little disappointed to not see Hagar's license in the game. This could also lead to some awkwardness with the songs that were done with Sammy Hagar, unless they re-record the songs for the game, which is fine.

That said, if none of the songs that Van Halen recorded with Sammy Hagar (Right Now, Poundcake, Why Can't This Be Love, etc.) aren't in the game at all, and that era of the band is quietly brushed under the carpet (particularly if there aren't any plans for DLC), then I won't buy this game. Period.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Nasar7
    @PuppyKisses said:
    "

Guitar Hero: Revisionist History

"
    Sounds about right.
    Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blitzer

The only band specific game I've bought and will ever buy was/is Metallica.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese
    @ShinyD3mon said:
    " I would totally play Guitar Hero: Chickenfoot.I'd even try my hand at Guitar Hero: Turkeybeak, and I'm especially psyched for Guitar Hero: Cockwattle. "

Haha..."Cockwattle." Alright, I'm done being five now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm all Guitar Hero'd out. Neversoft and Activision have a wonderful habit of ruining their IP's with yearly releases (read: Tony Hawk)

Haimster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Haimster

No offense to Wolfgang but his inclusion in the game is a joke.  No doubt, this has everything to do with money and bitterness, great themes for a rock and roll song  but not a rock and roll video game.

Damotello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Damotello

Being in a band with your son isn't very rock and roll. Especially if he's a fat tub of shit like Wolfgang is. Fuck this game.

tjdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tjdoom
    @Phished0ne:

Well the fact that if you look through all the extra photos they included in the game, particularly the ones before 1986, a ton of them have just James, Kirk, and Lars.
    broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By broqz

i wonder if eddie's son anthony even plays the guitar.  you would think that being the son of one of the best guitar players ever would sorta influence you to try it also.  not that he can't kick ass on the bass or anything, i really don't know.  i sorta stopped carring about van hallen when they stopped making aqua net.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By agentboolen

Yea I don't get that.  I understood the reason to leave Jason Newstead or Cliff Burton out of GH Metallica, even though I thought it would have been nice to see them in the game.  But yea this seems even more dumb since its one of the lead singers.  Does that basically mean no Hagar Van Hallen songs in the game at all or our we just going to pretend Dave sung Hagars songs like we pretend Rob played all the bass parts for Metallica??? I guess since its a video game the older members of the band just don't matter from there point of view.

Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Log
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " This knocks my interest in the game way more than just a notch.  A Van Halen game without Hagar is blasphemous. "
    I can understand disappointment but seriously... a Van Halen Game WITH Hagar is much worse than without. About half the songs they could put on with Hagar would have synth instead of guitar parts and nothing pisses me off more than when Activision makes people play keyboard parts on the guitar just to keep people entertained.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By PercyChuggs

Who cares about any aspect of this game other than the tracklist? When you're blasting through Yankee Rose on Expert, are you going to even notice it's not Michael Anthony on base? No.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive

I dont give a shit about Hagar, but anthony should be in there. 

thats a big fat dick move right there. 

CRiTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CRiTE

i could care less about hagat but no anthony thats weak........just weak.

runnin with the devil with no anthony = thin guitar sound only.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ht101
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " This knocks my interest in the game way more than just a notch.  A Van Halen game without Hagar is blasphemous. "
    I totally agree.  He is a huge part of their history and not having him in it means that I most likely won't be buying or even playing this game.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Branthog

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By PureRok

I don't care who's in it as long as the songs aren't covers.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Media_Master

yeah...

Deaditelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Deaditelord

Wow what a bummer :(  This post sure makes it sound like nothing from Hagar is in the game which, IMO, moves this from a must buy to a rental.  As much as I love Diamond Dave, to not include any of Hagar's songs in the game is a travesty.  Van Halen was David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.  Neversoft might as well change the game's name to Van Halen: The Early Years.  Hell, next thing we'll hear is that  Roth gave permission to Neversoft to release Gary Cherone's Van Halen album (whatever it was called) as the game's"bonus tracks" just to rub it in Hagar's and his fan's faces.  

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By jakob187

Dood, no Hagar or Anthony?  Sorry, but both are key members of the Van Halen legacy...whether people like it or not.

Fuck Eddie anyways.  He's a cocksucker as is.
    Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spike94
    @jakob187 said:
    "Dood, no Hagar or Anthony?  Sorry, but both are key members of the Van Halen legacy...whether people like it or not.

Fuck Eddie anyways.  He's a cocksucker as is.
    "

Yeah, I agree, except the part about Eddie, that's going a bit far. Anyways, a friend of mine brought up a good question: does this mean Hagar's songs will still be there, and there just won't be a Hagar model? I am leaning more toward the thought of "yes" because I highly doubt they wouldn't have any songs that Anthony did bass for, you know?
    SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

If you are not buying this game because there is a different character model on the stage, then you play GH for the wrong reasons. The tracks are all going to sound the same anyway.

caveman667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By caveman667
    @Phished0ne: yeah but so is Kurt Cobain and guess what he was in guitar hero 5
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ch13696
    @caveman667 said:
    " @Phished0ne: yeah but so is Kurt Cobain and guess what he was in guitar hero 5 "
    Great way to revive a thread that doesn't matter.
    caveman667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By caveman667
    @Master_Prophet: dude the beatles are alright but the beatles rock band blew chunks aerosmith guitar hero sucked yes, Van Halen needs more than a game i would have bought a whole band kit for Van Halen, Metallica also needs more than just a guitar hero metallica and van halen are awesome so dont knock them oh and the only good rock band based upon a band was the green day rock band 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.