Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Valve Are Really Starting To Piss Me Off

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

In with the New News, same as the Old News...

No Caption Provided
    When they told us at PAX that new content was coming for Left 4 Dead 1 I was hoping for more than 2 new chapters, at 560MS points no less. Does anyone else find this straight up fucking arrogant? Do Valve believe they can charge whatever they want for content that does clearly not justify it's pricetag. I bought Left 4 Dead with the understanding it would receive ongoing developer support, because as a freestanding title it was woefully short. It was an understanding that Valve proffered upon the launch of the game, that it would receive new content and updates - instead of which we are being told that all the real new content is being packaged as a new title. These minor updates we have waited so long to get are now too little too late, not to mention too fucking expensive. If they can make 5 new campaigns for L4D2 in just over a year, is it really acceptable for them to push out a pathetic 2 chapters (a regular campaign consisting of 5) right at the end of the title's life cycle and expect people to blindly cough up the dosh?? And lets not kid ourselves - Valve are just fucking naive if they think people are going to play Left 4 Dead 1 when 2 finally hits the shelves. I actually had to draw up a budget, for the first time in my life, so I can afford to buy all the great games that are being released between now and 2010. The new L4D1 content has no place on that list. 

I'm not joining a boycott or anything dramatic like that. I'm just disappointed with Valve. 

Again

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

In with the New News, same as the Old News...

No Caption Provided
    When they told us at PAX that new content was coming for Left 4 Dead 1 I was hoping for more than 2 new chapters, at 560MS points no less. Does anyone else find this straight up fucking arrogant? Do Valve believe they can charge whatever they want for content that does clearly not justify it's pricetag. I bought Left 4 Dead with the understanding it would receive ongoing developer support, because as a freestanding title it was woefully short. It was an understanding that Valve proffered upon the launch of the game, that it would receive new content and updates - instead of which we are being told that all the real new content is being packaged as a new title. These minor updates we have waited so long to get are now too little too late, not to mention too fucking expensive. If they can make 5 new campaigns for L4D2 in just over a year, is it really acceptable for them to push out a pathetic 2 chapters (a regular campaign consisting of 5) right at the end of the title's life cycle and expect people to blindly cough up the dosh?? And lets not kid ourselves - Valve are just fucking naive if they think people are going to play Left 4 Dead 1 when 2 finally hits the shelves. I actually had to draw up a budget, for the first time in my life, so I can afford to buy all the great games that are being released between now and 2010. The new L4D1 content has no place on that list. 

I'm not joining a boycott or anything dramatic like that. I'm just disappointed with Valve. 

Again

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

I think they have not yet found a good way to charge for the content, since they are used to it being free on the PC. It does look a bit expensive for what they are offering.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheGremp

Yeah, it's totally outrageous.  I expect them to give me double the content than what's in the game for free.  The idea that they would want us to pay them to play their games is ridiculous.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust

Welcome to the group. lol

While you are going to buy left 4 dead 2 i'll get left 4 dead 1.

But i agree that valve is playing with our fellings. That's what happens when great titles are realeased. 

They get cocky with them... 

But when quality slips people are happy to turn their backs on them.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hyuzen

Valve wanted to offer the 360 dlc for free but either they or microsoft said they shouldn't be getting special treatment with free dlc.  if they offer cross platform gameplay (they haven't confirmed or denied it yet right) then i bet a lot of people will still play L4D1. Also all the people that are mad at valve and don't get L4D2 will still play the first game.
    Kudos on drawing up a budget for what games you can afford, i wish i was that wise with my money.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

I dunno I downloaded it off Steam when I logged on earlier, haven't played it yet.

Do like I do and buy all your Valve games on PC. It's where they're meant to be played. Also you'll always get free updates.
    Buy any other games like MW2 or SFIV on console or PC but only buy Valve games on PC. That's my rule of thumb.

Mikl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Mikl

Never buy valve games on consoles. Now you know and knowing is half the battle
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thedj93

You should change your name to LoveSweep. It has a nice ring to it. I might write up a gaming budget if i had any money to spend but...nah

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By animateria

Blame it on Microsoft?

It's obviously meant to be free content... Just not on the 360.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AthleticShark

Oh and PC users get it free.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Hamz

Sweep I like you, you know this, I know this. But you are sorely misguided with your hatred for Valve.

It's Microsoft that set the price for DLC, it is Microsoft that demand DLC be given a price and not for free and it is Microsoft who you should be directing the blame at. Valve have stated many times they would give the DLC for free to 360 players if they could find a way around Microsoft's insistence over pricing it. There isn't much Valve can do other than choose not to release the DLC on the 360 and then people would cry about not being given the chance at enjoying any DLC for the game. 

There is no denying the PC community for Valve games outnumbers that of the 360 so the developer focuses on the platform where most of its playerbase is. That is the sad and honest truth and it is a common occurrence within the video game industry as many a PC gamer can tell you, we get shafted daily when it comes to DLC releases for most games. Sure we usually get them for free but at the expense of delays by months upon months.

At the end of the day you can either choose to purchase the DLC or choose not too. Given your previous feelings about Valve I would have thought you might just be patient and see what people had to say about the new DLC.

I understand your frustration over paying for DLC you feel is not worth the price tag, it is something I often feel when it comes to the price of games in general. Specifically now that I have a PS3 and find myself far less inclined to play £15 more for a console game than I do a PC game. But this entire situation with DLC prices and the way Microsoft handles it will never change, not now after it has been enforced for such a long time it has become somewhat of an industry standard.

I also question why you didn't bother buying the PC version of L4D now that it has a 50% price discount to coincide with the Crash Course DLC.....

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

It was a budget release to begin with, it's not like you paid 60 dollars for it. You should have gotten it on PC, the DLC is free as usual. Blame MS.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Dalai

And since I have the PC version, I totally heart Valve.  Sucks for you. 

But don't worry, I still heart you, Sweep.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

As Hamz said, if you want to hate something, hate Microsoft not Valve. Its completely free on Steam, the way it would be on the 360 if microsoft allowed it, but they dont. I thought this was common sense at this point.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By breadfan

We should have known from Orange Box that Valve would primarily focus on the PC version of Left 4 Dead, which makes sense.  I'm not going to buy the DLC not because I object to paying for it, but because I barely play Left 4 Dead anymore.   

Don't get me wrong I loved Left 4 Dead and I defended it's lack of content, but eventually it became boring.  

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ImperiousRix

@Br3adfan said:

"We should have known from Orange Box that Valve would primarily focus on the PC version of Left 4 Dead, which makes sense.  I'm not going to buy the DLC not because I object to paying for it, but because I barely play Left 4 Dead anymore.    Don't get me wrong I loved Left 4 Dead and I defended it's lack of content, but eventually it became boring.   "

This. 
    I'm probably gonna pass on the DLC simply because with new games coming out every few weeks ramping up to the release of L4D2, I'm just not sure when I'd ever get a chance to play it.  I personally never begrudge Valve for the content on the 360.  They gave me the Half-Life 2 saga (which I'd never played), Portal, and what my ignorant self calls Team Fortress 2 for sixty dollars.  I have no complaints about what they do.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I understand. However, the blame can also be given to Microsoft, who insists that Valve make people pay for content. However, $7 is far too much for a half campaign. $5 maybe. Moral of the story? Buy Valve games on the PC because they will screw you over on consoles. 

Alternatively, the moral is that Valve should make more content for their game before they release it, which is why everyone is so up in arms about L4D2.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Sweep: You're just now starting to complain about all of this? By the way, charging for the DLC is 100% Microsoft's idea. I'm happy I have the PC version.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Oni

Uh yeah everything Hamz said.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red

This is actually more Microsoft's fault, but if Msoft are gonna be touting Left 4 Dead as a great 360-console exclusive, they need to let Valve do what they do best: make people freaking happy.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Hamz: More often than not, people don't have good enough PCs to run the game at its highest possible detail. That might be the biggest reason why L4D sold quite well on the consoles. While I can understand why Valve has to charge for this DLC, I'm still a little ticked off about the way its done when compared to the PC version. Personally, I bought a pretty decent gaming laptop about 3 years ago with a beefy 7900 GT (best card available at the time) for all my gaming and college needs. But that thing is showing its age now and I can barely run games like Batman:AA on it without lowering all the details. Compare this to the X360, which ironically has the same video card as my laptop but runs Batman:AA at its highest detail with a constant 60 fps. It just comes down to what gives me a better game experience for the most reasonable price and more often than not, its on the console.
    Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Valames

I don't understand why Valve has to be forced to charge for their DLC. Microsoft let Burnout and Batman:AA have free DLC, why not L4D?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PureRok

You should have got it for the PC, where it's free.

Not that I agree with this new trend Valve has started.

Avatar image for crazymexicancarpi
    crazymexicancarpi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed it is over priced for what your getting but its not really Valve's choice. They try there hardest to do what they can, its Microsoft's 'policy' (making Moniez) for us to pay for what they give us, we should be thankful that we got Survival mode for free. Also most of there fans propaly want Esp3 for Half-life before L4D2, but EA agian like to exploit games yearly for money.  
       So just be thankful that its not 800msp. 
    (sorry if there are spelling mistakes 
    and some of it didnt make sense) 
    x
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ieatlions

valve doesn't owe you anything.

Avatar image for crazymexicancarpi
    crazymexicancarpi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikl:
    I agree, i had The Orange Box on 360 Half-life and portal was the same really but when i got my PC a game like Team Fortress is an INSANE diffrence so L4D2, PC. 
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Hamz said:
    " I also question why you didn't bother buying the PC version of L4D now that it has a 50% price discount to coincide with the Crash Course DLC..... "
    I don't yet own a PC that can run the Steam Engine. I'm building one atm. Soonish.

Also we seem to be running round in circles, we have this argument every few months, so i'm not going to repeat myself. You know where I stand on this.

I can't change my title to

Microsoft Are Really Starting To Piss Me Off

because microsoft have already been pissing me off for years...
    tedbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tedbear

Im buying L4D2 and I cant wait
    L4D1 was awesome !

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZeroCast
    @Killjoy said:

" @Hamz: More often than not, people don't have good enough PCs to run the game at its highest possible detail. That might be the biggest reason why L4D sold quite well on the consoles. While I can understand why Valve has to charge for this DLC, I'm still a little ticked off about the way its done when compared to the PC version. Personally, I bought a pretty decent gaming laptop about 3 years ago with a beefy 7900 GT (best card available at the time) for all my gaming and college needs. But that thing is showing its age now and I can barely run games like Batman:AA on it without lowering all the details. Compare this to the X360, which ironically has the same video card as my laptop but runs Batman:AA at its highest detail with a constant 60 fps. It just comes down to what gives me a better game experience for the most reasonable price and more often than not, its on the console. "

Got to disagree with you Killjoy, the Xbox 360s GPU can't be compared to a Laptop/PC based GPU mainly because they were both built using different structure. It's due to the fact that they have different shader architectures, run with different operating systems, and system hardware, make a comparison too difficult to measure the environments against each other.           

Also, everyone knows that when you make a decision - and I am not talking about you specifically, I'm talking in general- to buy a gaming PC, the consequences are constant upgrading, though is that the developers fault? I really don't think so, it's the consumer that put himself in that situation and whether he wants to play games at their highest detail or not, it's totally up to him to decide what best suits his own needs.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Afroman269
    @Scooper said:
    " I dunno I downloaded it off Steam when I logged on earlier, haven't played it yet.  Do like I do and buy all your Valve games on PC. It's where they're meant to be played. Also you'll always get free updates. Buy any other games like MW2 or SFIV on console or PC but only buy Valve games on PC. That's my rule of thumb. "
    Thats what I do now. Valve at least gives the stuff for free but it's just MS who is making them charge money for putting it on live.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mracoon

Your problem is with Microsoft because Valve wanted to keep the DLC free but MS didn't want them to.

TheSmilingDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheSmilingDude
    @Sweep:

It isn't Valve's doing, but Microsoft's. It's completely free on steam, and pretty awesome if only because of that (support ftw). Besides, even though being only half the length (30 mins) of a normal campaign, it's pretty intense, there's a reason guns are lying all over the place. I like it a lot, but Microsoft's scam tactic is exactly why I didn't buy it on 360. (And you don't need a great graphics card to run this, source is old and solid.) 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @Dalai said:
    " And since I have the PC version, I totally heart Valve.  Sucks for you.  But don't worry, I still heart you, Sweep. "
    Well I hate you!

DUN DUN DUN!!!
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mikemcn
    @animateria said:
    "Blame it on Microsoft?  It's obviously meant to be free content... Just not on the 360. "

Yep, Microsoft wants money, need I point out the 100 dollar wireless adapter.
    mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mthe1337one

yeah it was my understanding that M$ didn't even want the FIRST l4d DLC to be free, and the first dlc update was much better than the newest one.  i agree with everyone else, the blame needs to be on M$

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

I want to believe that charging for the 360 DLC is all Microsoft's problem, but I see plenty of other free DLC out there, and I think Valve has the push to demand that their content be free, if they truly wanted it to be. And honestly, the Left 4 Dead DLC is not worth paying money for.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

You should petition

lol

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By AndrewB
    @ryanwho: Petitioning is stupid. I've got my opinion, but I know it isn't shared by everyone else, and when I disagree with what a company is doing, I speak with my wallet. Luckily, in this case, I have the PC version, and I'm getting the content for free, anyway.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By raviolisumo

Anyone ever thought that MS is the one deciding the price?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By End_Boss
    @Sweep: Hello Sweepums.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @Sweep: MS priced it. Valve has gone over it, dude. They gave it for free where they could, PC.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iam3green

u should have bought it on the PC. microsoft thinks that everything should cost money when it is free on the PC. i bought left 4 dead on the 360, i should have got it on the pc.  i played it i said i should have got it on the PC instead of the 360. 

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By smokemare

I think it's to do with Microsoft not allowing achievements on free DLC and Valve wanting the achievements in... Bit pointless if that is true as the achievements in Valves 360 games tend to be a bit glitchy... 

One thing I would say is the 360 version is supposedly less prone to lag than the PC version, although you can get user created content for the PC version.  They both have their pro's and cons, 560 points isn't a massive price - particularly if you picked up L4D for £10 off Ebay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.