Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 11, 2010

In the follow-up to Lost Planet, players explore new environments as they see the story through the perspective of different groups of pirates trying to survive on E.D.N. III.

Brads Lost Planet 2 review was...bad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lolak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By lolak47

cock

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#252  Edited By cstrang
    @DoctorWelch: Oh, you mean posts like these:

@septim said:
    " If you think reviewing games is primarily about skill, you are fucking stupid. "

and 

@Lambert said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    " lp2 is just like Monster hunter, the west just doesnt get it. or better yet have their hands held to much that when I game does something different they can't handle it. I for one will be picking up a copy real soon. "
    "The west doesn't get it?" More like the west has much higher standards, and is less likely to accept shitty games with horrible controls.  Love how all these but-hurt otakus continue to make excuses for their shitty games. "

and the countless others in this thread exactly likes these and my post?  I read them, thanks.  Go try to troll somewhere else.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#253  Edited By Vinchenzo

Well seeing as the majority of the reviewers are saying LP2 is bad, it's not Brad that is at fault here. Really, the Lost Planet is a franchise that is geared towards a certain audience involving most Japanese and limited Americans or what have you. The reviewer definitely should have been someone who has previously played LP. As someone who beat the first on Extreme and played a bunch of hours in multiplayer I'd like to say that LP2 is generally the same game. Newcomers should be aware that Lost Planet is not for everyone, and people who enjoyed the first one should feel free to buy the sequel.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#254  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @cstrang said:

" @DoctorWelch: Oh, you mean posts like these:

@septim said:

" If you think reviewing games is primarily about skill, you are fucking stupid. "

and 

@Lambert said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    " lp2 is just like Monster hunter, the west just doesnt get it. or better yet have their hands held to much that when I game does something different they can't handle it. I for one will be picking up a copy real soon. "
    "The west doesn't get it?" More like the west has much higher standards, and is less likely to accept shitty games with horrible controls.  Love how all these but-hurt otakus continue to make excuses for their shitty games. "
    and the countless others in this thread exactly likes these and my post?  I read them, thanks.  Go try to troll somewhere else. "
    Yet again, if you actually read any of my posts, you would understand why what the septim guy said isnt even acurate at all because he obviously didnt read any of my other posts either.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#255  Edited By Snail

HURR DURR GAIZE I SAW THIS REVIEW AND THE REVIEWER HURR DID NOT GET THE GAME HURR DURR HE IS TOTALLY SIMPLY NOT EXPRESSING HIS PERSONAL OPINION WHICH OBVIOUSLY NO ONE ELSE SHARES HURR DURR MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS HURR DURR ALL REVIEWS THAT DISAGREE SUCK. HURRRRR DERP HERP

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Vinchenzo: A majority of reviews are giving it around a 8 out of 10.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#257  Edited By Mmmslash

If a game has frustrating controls, and frustrating gameplay, then reason would dictate the game is frustrating to play.  Frustrating games are hardly every amazing ones, and seldom good ones, and almost always bad ones.

I'm not saying Brad wasn't a little harsh, I'm saying LP2 makes some strange, strange decisions that seem to fly in the face of the game. I understand many of the complains about this game stem from features of the original, but here's a newsflash, folks, games have changed. I know it's scary and unfair, but we expect more from a game now, than just nice animation and some motion blur. 

That being said, I'd have said LP2 is a solid 3.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Snail: Another person that hasnt read any of my other posts and doesnt even understand what I am trying to say.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By ch3burashka

If it's just Brad, sure. However, how then do you explain Gamespot's 6.0, Joystiq's "meh", Gamesradar's 7, and IGN's score (whatever they gave it)? Everybody on the internet is saying it's shit. Brad is the rule, not the exception.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By august
    @CH3BURASHKA: Kotaku also was not a fan. Although I'd say that reaction is pretty much split.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By TheFreeMan

Somebody says some harsh words to GB staff member. GB community viciously counterattacks on behalf of staff member. 

The circle of life continues.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#262  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " @Vinchenzo: A majority of reviews are giving it around a 8 out of 10. "
    Well the reviews are split, but for the most part the more mainstream reviewers are giving it lower than an 8. If you want to nitpick the reply of someone who partially agrees with you, then fine. However you're just losing credibility as this thread continues. Metacritic, while I hate it, averages the reviews of critics at a 73 and users at an 80. Is that bad? No. I do feel Brad should've given LP2 a 3 out of 5 at least, because there are so much more worse games that get a 3 instead of a 2,  and LP2 has enough effort to warrant a 3.
    Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#263  Edited By Tornac

It's his opinion, so I could care less. I agree with most of his criticisms, but while i would give it a 3/5, I understand why he gave it the score he did. For the record, I didn't like the first one either, so that may be why this doesn't appeal to me like it does to those who enjoyed that game.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Vinchenzo: I'm sorry, I dont really care anymore about this thread or my "credibility" because most people on here are children who cant think for themselves. Also, if you look on the first page, someone compiled a bunch of major reviews. Your right, its less than an 8, but its still somewhere between 7-8. But you did say that a majority of reviews are saying it is bad, those scores are fairly decent, thats why I was saying that.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Origina1Penguin

It was a bit unexpected for me. The game is definitely an acquired tasted though, and obviously Brad thought his problems with the game outweighed its good qualities. I'll probably pick it up at some point even though I still haven't finished the first game. The mech parts annoy me a bit in Lost Planet, but I enjoy what the game does well.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By crusnchill

Brad sucks because his opinion is different than mine. Wah! Wah! Wah!

Dude! Just because Brad hates the very things in this game that makes you explode in orgasmic joy, it is not reason enough to go nuclear and bitch, bitch, bitch, about it.
    *PLEASE READ THE FIRST LINE ONE LAST TIME BEFORE YOU MOVE ON.*

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#267  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    OK I'll just say in this thread that the OP can have his own opinion on Brad's opinion.  Since the OP has his own opinion on Brad's opinion, though, other people will have their opinion's on OP's opinion on Brad's opinion.

In other words, stfu everybody.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#268  Edited By swamplord666

It definitely has an audience but then again everything does. I've generally heard neutral/ negative things about the game including a friend who gave me a *shrug*. I hate this notion of "He/They just doesn't/don't get it". if the mechanics are not clear or not accessible, it's the designers fault. Maybe brad was bad at the game, but tbh, i think that Brad has enough experience as a reviewer to know the difference between a difficult game that is designed that way to a difficult game that is broken. for instance, brad review trials HD. He gave it 4 stars and mentions that it's difficult. this was a design and gameplay choice, not the fact that the design makes it difficult.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By crusnchill
    @Mmmslash said:
    " If a game has frustrating controls, and frustrating gameplay, then reason would dictate the game is frustrating to play.  Frustrating games are hardly every amazing ones, and seldom good ones, and almost always bad ones.

I'm not saying Brad wasn't a little harsh, I'm saying LP2 makes some strange, strange decisions that seem to fly in the face of the game. I understand many of the complains about this game stem from features of the original, but here's a newsflash, folks, games have changed. I know it's scary and unfair, but we expect more from a game now, than just nice animation and some motion blur.   That being said, I'd have said LP2 is a solid 3. "
    Well said buddy! *High five*
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#270  Edited By Cube

You're not allowed to bash the staff because no one here has testicles.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By crusnchill
    @Cube said:
    " You're not allowed to bash the staff because no one here has testicles. "
    Or maybe it's because we have a similar philosophy to them.
    ie: That different opinions to our own still retain their merit, even if we completely disagree.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By august
    @Cube said:
    I'm pretty sure you're allowed. Unless you mean you can't do it without people jumping on you for it. Which should be no surprise because most people are here because they like the staff, because that's pretty much the only good reason to invest a lot of time here.
    igl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By igl

The whole game review industry must be full of dopes!!!! there are 0 good reviews of LP2. 

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#274  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @LiquidPrince said:
    "Well if it's anywhere near as clunky as the first game, then I agree with Brad. "

Which it is, and I agree with Brad also.
    Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Alkaiser

Everyone is biased. There I said it. You know why?

Because game reviews are based on YOUR experience with the game. Therefore they are your opinions. What, do you want the GiantBomb Crew to review games like they're looking at a vacuum cleaner? Do you want the horsepower rating and technical breakdown of Lost Planet? If you want an unbiased review, they're easy to find. Its called a summary. 

Believe it or not, you can enjoy a game that someone gives a bad review to. Shocking, I know, but I learned this revelation myself once I got acclimated  to the internet about 13 or so years ago when I got my first computer. I too was one of those raving lunatics complaining about people hating my favorite games and them being biased. Then sanity kicked in and I stopped dragging my knuckles across the keyboard. People can change. You too, can change. Break out your prayer mat and prostrate yourself towards Sausalito Cali. Abstain from food, drink and all hedonistic thoughts until the dawn of the third day when the light of Shoemaker strikes down upon you. Believe in our monotone messiah and be blessed.  

Or you could just take the review in stride and be on your merry way. I prefer the former, but whatever floats your boat.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By mutha3
    @august said:

" @Cube said:

I'm pretty sure you're allowed. Unless you mean you can't do it without people jumping on you for it. Which should be no surprise because most people are here because they like the staff, because that's pretty much the only good reason to invest a lot of time here. "

Liking Giantbomb=/= being an insane fuckwad who has to defend Giantbomb's honour
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By august
    @jhass14 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  I don't quite get it either, all of a sudden (especially over the past few weeks) it's been "cool" to hate on Brad. Give the guy a break, if Jeff or Ryan reviewed this game the same way I'm sure the OP wouldn't blame it on them. "
    Nah, I'm pretty sure it would get the same reaction. A lot of people around here take it personal when a game from a development house they like gets a low score. Mostly it seems to revolve around a perceived anti-Japanese bias, although that isn't universal.
    pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#278  Edited By pbhawks45

Good fucking Christ, people. I joined Giant Bomb before launch to avoid stupid retarded shit like this that used to populate System Wars and other shitty message boards. It's a review. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you are really this worked up about the review, you were never going to leave your decision to purchase this game up to one person's opinion.

Please, people. Please, shut the fuck up. Everyone. No more 1000 word editorial responses, or fanboyism bullshit. Fucking stop it. 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#279  Edited By asurastrike

lol who even reads reviews?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By landon

I hard to admit, but we actually live in a world where if a game receives a bad score, its the reviewers fault for playing it wrong and obviously shouldn't be taken seriously.

imad81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By imad81

the GB community is behaving as if the GB staff are irrefutable in thier opinion..wow..wasnt expecting this..

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#282  Edited By ez123
    @imad81 said:
    " the GB community is behaving as if the GB staff are irrefutable in thier opinion..wow..wasnt expecting this.. "
    ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By greenblattsam

He thought it was a steaming pile. People can have various opinions on certain things and as you can tell Brad hates this game.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#284  Edited By Cube
    @crusnchill said:
    " @Cube said:
    Or maybe it's because we have a similar philosophy to them. ie: That different opinions to our own still retain their merit, even if we completely disagree. "
    Or maybe because they're the staff and everyone here likes sucking their balls.  

It's not just reviews. 

Any time a staff member gets criticized or called out, the users of Giant Bomb act like the person just spat in their mothers face. 
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#285  Edited By damnboyadvance
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " Its fairly obvious from his review that he either never played the original Lost Planet... "
    Wait, stop right there. Whether this is true or not, why does this matter? The review doesn't have to be from the perspective of someone who has played the original Lost Planet. A lot of people that will consider purchasing this probably haven't played the original Lost Planet. So it is a good thing that it is from this perspective.

Also,

" I just hope they hire another person or two soon to review some of the games that they have no business reviewing or even commenting on because of their bias going in. "
    Care to further explain this? I doubt you have something to back up this claim. In fact, it might be you that is biased.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Milkman

Okay, are we done here yet? Christ, people, let's just move on.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#287  Edited By MisterMouse

Interesting enough Lost Planet 2 hasn't been reviewing that well ACROSS THE BOARD, so I don't think "Brad's Review was... bad." Other reviews I have looked up have had similar comments to Brad's further increasing the fact that Brad reviewed that game correctly.    

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By nail1080

This is pretty easy. The review was written by BRAD, he gave HIS view on the game. 

Whether Giantbomb gave a game a good score or not does not concern me, as I have been following the guys and reading their reviews for years and I know what they like, something which I always take into account. In fact because I know their personal tastes inside-out I gain a lot more insight into games from their reviews, as it's more personal to me than if I read some random guys reviews without knowing what his game preferences are.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#289  Edited By Evilsbane
    @DoctorWelch:   I had a lot of fun with the first game but you can't argue that the controls were good, they were not good in the first and they are not good here either, it was a significant complaint and if it had been fixed this game would have been much better.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By niamahai
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @DoctorWelch:   I had a lot of fun with the first game but you can't argue that the controls were good, they were not good in the first and they are not good here either, it was a significant complaint and if it had been fixed this game would have been much better. "
    things i like in LP1:

1. Luka
    2.Russian dude with nipple buttons
    3. Luka's deep cleavage
    4. Naruto cameo
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By Turambar

This reminds me of the bombcast where Killzone 2 was being discussed.  Jeff was talking about how the shooting of KZ2 had a weight to it that many other games didn't hate, said it was fairly interesting, and put it in a somewhat positive light, and ultimately saying it's something people going into the game will need to get used to compared to other shooters.  Brad responded with "but should people have to get used to that?"  I stand by my lasting stance that that line was retarded.  Unless you want all games to play the same forever, having to get used to something that is a different way of doing things, and not a bad way at that, is something video game players should do.

Now, I can't speak for whether Brad's observation that LP2 is janky is accurate or not, having not played the game, nor plan on ever doing so.  However previous experience makes me want to say no.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Mooshu
    @PufferFiz said:

" lp2 is just like Monster hunter,

You mean a clunky, archaic , backwards, broken mess of a game?

"The west just doesn't get it. . or better yet have their hands held to much that when I game does something different they can't handle it. "

Oh.

I'm sorry, but "broken" does not equal "deep." It equals "broken." Though I will say Monster Hunter Tri got a lot right that the previous games didn't .

The Japanese just can't make shooters. It's like how the west can't really make Fighting games.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Coombs

Lost planet controls do suck.
    Monster Hunter is GHEY,
    and you whine like a 12 year old girl.

Now please get more butthurt from my insensitive comments

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @owl_of_minerva: Dude...I......I don't even know where to start with your comment. "
    Don't start with him, he's an idiot and will run you into the ground. The only way to argue with him is to get to his own stupid, stupid, level. He'll beat you with experience once you're there.
    TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#295  Edited By TrashMustache

I don't limit myself to reading a review, i play a demo, watch a quick look, listen to the podcast, and when you do all of that you really do get a clear enough sense of a game. and i think in modern times that's how you should approach a review. back when this site launched i checked some reviews and found that i kept agreeing with GB about so many types of games. i don't always agree with the scores but defenitely with the review.  

The GB staff aren't some kind of low key amateurs or something. these are expert reviewers and they know what a game genre has to cover in order to be fun. we do also, but they can put into words easily and to the point. Subjectivity is inevitable and will always be present to some extent but things like game mechanics being clunky: they are or they aren't. It's not subjective.   
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Bones8677:  You mistake making an argument for an emotional response;"
    You're still on about that whole, "No, that's not and argument, that's a British Greek Latin Pakistani Arabic African (insert word that will make me sound smart here.)" 

Give it up and stop trying to act smart and teach people the "science and logic of arguing." You come off as a real condescending dick.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
    deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@DoctorWelch said:
     The point is not that Brads opinion was "wrong" the point is he shouldnt have reviewed it. 
    So what you're saying is that they should find someone who likes Lost Planet 2 and have them review it? Your logic doesn't make sense. Brad reviewed it and didn't like it. There isn't a game that someone "shouldn't" review, each persons opinions will be different. You can't find someone who only plays games like LP2 and have them review it, because than people would be saying "they gave LP2 a much higher score than it deserved, he shouldn't have reviewed that game because he is a fanboy."
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By crusnchill
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " Bitch, bitch, bitch.   Come on guys, seriously? I thought we knew better than to bitch and moan just because someone has a different opinion than us. Be a man, grow some balls, shrug it off and be on your way. If you like something that someone doesn't, good for you. It doesn't make you automatically superior to anyone else, however. Don't sit all high and mighty because you "get it" and someone else apparently doesn't.   If you enjoy the game, whatever. It shouldn't matter what other people think. You don't automatically divorce your beautiful wife just because your best friend thinks her face looks weird. If someone who has a different opinion than yours bothers you, then ignore it. If you let that get under your skin, then you've already lost. "
    We're so similar in attitude, it almost scares me.

Man! I bet I'll hate you in real life, ha ha. Btw, I liked the review. I'll talk to the guys and get you started soon enough. Look forward to working with you bruv!
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#299  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @Geno said:
    " None of the GB crew are particularly good at games (which is demonstrated all the time, and which they themselves admit), so their innate frustration with controls etc. will be built into each review unfortunately.  "
    I guess the entire gaming press must be bad at games because... what, 90% of them said the game controls poorly, and just isnt very good.  This leads us back to the age old question of...wait for it... YOU CAN LIKE BAD GAMES. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging a game is bad but still liking it. Its the whole "i like this game so it must be good" thing that pisses me off "
    This is an interesting point, actually, because it feeds into people's need to be one thing or the other. "I like this game, ergo it must be GREAT!" is just one example of how people NEED something to be either black or white. With us or against us, patriot or terrorist, great or awful. There can be no middle ground! This is especially prevalent in America, but I don't want to paint everyone who feels that way into a corner.
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#300  Edited By Raven10

As a huge fan of the first game I agree with everything Brad said. The game is a clunky mess from the control standpoint. It's just plain difficult to control. It doesn't have to control like every other shooter but it has to work as well as those methods and this doesn't. Again, I am a huge fan of the first game, but even I admitted that it was limited by the controls. I don't think that was Brad's main complaint with the game, though. The problem with this game, from what most anyone is saying, is that the single player is just plain broken. If you don't have 4 people then don't bother playing this game. For a $60 game, people expect both a single player and a multiplayer experience. Since this experience is essentially a multiplayer game that can be played with shitty bots then I don't consider it worth my time. Why do I have a respawn timer in single player? Why do I have limited lives in a shooter? What happened to telling a story? Megaman had a better story than this. If you don't even try with the single player, and your multiplayer doesn't do anything better than anyone else then why should the game get a good review? The direction they took with this game is terrible. As a fan of the first I have no interest in playing this game at all. Also, Resident Evil 5 has bad controls as well, sorry. Capcom just has never made a good shooter. Their aiming is too slow, doesn't feel right, and their shooters (sorry RE5 isn't survival Horror anymore) all put too much focus on fancy animations and not enough on playability. They should stick with action games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.