Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2 Shipping With Two Discs

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By General_D23

Some new info has been getting me excited about the Normandy 2.0 and the new loyalty system,(info found herehere, and here) but a recent post on the (crazy) Bioware forums has also confirmed the game will ship on two discs. Here  is a look at the CE that shows off the two discs plus the bonus disc you get. 

I'll be preordering soon, but I am officially more hyped for this game then even the original, not to mention all the other games coming out next year. 

EDIT: And now that I checked the forums again, some more info.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

I was going to post this and am relieved it is on two discs becasue i felt with what htey shown it would be to much for one disc

I expcet the side missions to be the same on both disc but the story will alter from disc 1 to disc 2.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Good, as long as it's not like Star Ocean 4 with the disc-swapping. That was irritating. You'd have to swap to one of the three discs whenever you'd go to various areas that weren't on your current disc, even if you had the game installed to the HDD. I would have done tons more sidequests in that game if I didn't have to constantly open and close the tray and fumble with discs.

I like their reasoning. "Because you cannot fit this much awesome on one disc."

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

As long as I'm able to play just from disk 1 and have disk 2 installed; awesome. 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

If its like Lost Odyssey it won't be a problem that game handled disc swapping really well.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno

I pity the fool who has to swap discs. I'm getting this on Steam myself. 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking
    @Hitchenson said:
    "As long as I'm able to play just from disk 1 and have disk 2 installed; awesome.  "

Yeah, my guess is it will be like Forza.  You can optionally install the second half of the game and just play from disc one, or if you want you can switch when you get to that point.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By General_D23

From what Chris said in the second post, all 360 copys must switch at a predeterimed part in the story and never has to switch back again. PC players install the second one and play on the first disc. Nothing on installing the discs optionally on the 360 for load times and such, but I'm guessing that is possible.
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinkshley1

This is only good news. More content! and for the people who are worried about how the disk swapping will be handled... its Bioware! they'll figure something out. :)

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bubahula

sweeeettt!
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Griddler

Damn I want this game, just waiting for the system requirements before I pre-order. 

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what do you people think the requirements will be? If I can run the first on full should I be okay?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dany
    @girdz:
    They have been released already,.

PC System Requirements

Minimum System Requirements

• Processor: 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU  
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
    • Hard Drive: 15 GB
    • DVD ROM: 1x Speed  
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    • DirectX: DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
    • Input: Keyboard / Mouse 

Video Card: 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

Recommended System Requirements

• Processor: 2.6 GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU  
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM  
    • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
    • DirectX: DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (or higher)    

DEVELOPERNOTES: For the best results, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and audio cards. Laptop or mobile versions of the above supported video cards have not had extensive testing and may have driver or other performance issues. As such, they are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By hakunin
    @girdz: The system requirements have been known for some time:

Link
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

Some nice info there, good find. Disc thing doesnt bother me though, just gonna get it off steam. Though I may buy the CE for no other reason than it looks pretty awesome.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Griddler
    @Dany:@hakunin: Awesome I can run it. 
    I don't think 10 days counts as 'some time' though.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Doesn't matter. Multiple disc's shouldn't even be an issue anymore. 5 minutes of installation isn't going to bother me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So, the EU version will be three discs then? Both ME and DAO (PC) shipped with a second one containing the additional languages.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " So, the EU version will be three discs then? Both ME and DAO (PC) shipped with a second one containing the additional languages. "
    It probably depends how full the second disk is. If it's only half full, they might be able to squeeze the extra languages onto it. But if it's already full, yeah, I guess it'll ship with three disks.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @Geno said:
    " I pity the fool who has to swap discs. I'm getting this on Steam myself.  "
    Dude, it takes like two seconds. If you're able to wipe your own ass you can swap a disc.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Kazona

I for one am happy to see that Bioware opted to ship the game on two discs rather than cutting content to fit it all on one disc. More content = more awesome

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kohe321
    @Geno said:
    " I pity the fool who has to swap discs. I'm getting this on Steam myself.  "
    Me too. Steam wins this one for me.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jmrwacko

Holy 15 gigabytes, Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jmrwacko said:

" Holy 15 gigabytes, Batman. "

Bioware loves making epic-scaled titles. I love it when they give me those epic-scaled titles.

If only Dragon Age wasn't such a hard fucking game.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By keyhunter

Fuck disk swapping. They had better make one of the disks an install disk. I'm sure as fuck not filling up my 120 gig drive with Zune Marketplace content and gamerpics.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mordukai
    @HatKing said:

" @Hitchenson said:

"As long as I'm able to play just from disk 1 and have disk 2 installed; awesome.  "
    Yeah, my guess is it will be like Forza.  You can optionally install the second half of the game and just play from disc one, or if you want you can switch when you get to that point. "
    This was posted by Chris Priestly, Community coordinator, on the Bioware forums.  

You can install the game to your Xbox 360 Hard Drive as long as you have enough memory to do so and have the correct disc in the drive when you play.    

I think this mean that no matter if you install it or not, disk swapping (on the 360 version) will  still be required. Frankly I don't really know what all the fuss is about, I was kinda missing the ole "please insert disk 2 into drove A:" message. 
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghostiet

I like how 8 years ago, when a game shipped on 5 CDs people said "MOTHERFUCKER! 5 CD! This game must be effing epic! And long for, like, 600 hours! Dude!". Now, when we get a 2 DL-DVD game, everyone hates it because they'll have to take a shit before it installs.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai
    @Ghostiet: At least we'll be able to read the game manual while we take said shit...lol. Bioware has really thought of everything. 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking
    @Mordukai said:
    " @HatKing said:

" @Hitchenson said:

Yeah, my guess is it will be like Forza.  You can optionally install the second half of the game and just play from disc one, or if you want you can switch when you get to that point. "
    This was posted by Chris Priestly, Community coordinator, on the Bioware forums.  

You can install the game to your Xbox 360 Hard Drive as long as you have enough memory to do so and have the correct disc in the drive when you play.    

I think this mean that no matter if you install it or not, disk swapping (on the 360 version) will  still be required. Frankly I don't really know what all the fuss is about, I was kinda missing the ole "please insert disk 2 into drove A:" message.  "

Yeah I mean it isn't that big of a deal, and they aren't idiots over there at Bioware, I'm sure they realize having somebody switching discs is a pain and that it shouldn't happen very often.  Although the way this is worded sounds like he is just talking about the game install feature on the 360.
    Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Torrim

Having the option to switch discs and then the option to only install the second disc but still play off the first would be a ridiculous amount to data to organize and optimize, probably something they don't have time for.  

I can't imagine people would complain about a game being multiple discs when you only have to switch once per playthrough, but I guess there are some out there making it a big deal :/

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Milkman

As long as I can install the second disc, fine.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mordukai
    @Milkman said:
    " As long as I can install the second disc, fine. "
    You'll be able to install it but you'll still have to have in your drive in order to play it. Disc swapping on the 360 will be required no matter if you install both discs. 
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NoXious
    @xyzygy:

But isn't one of the arguments about consoles that you can sit on the couch while you're playing? Gotta get up to switch out that disk :(
    I hope I can install the second disk, my Elite's HDD has hardly seen any action lately. Better yet! I want a PC Digital Deluxe edition on Steam, and good 360 controller support for ME2 on the PC!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy
    @NoXious: So you're saying you're too lazy to get up from the couch and swap a disc, or am I reading that wrong? You only have to do it once throughout the whole game and they have paced it so it's not right in the middle of an intense section. That info came directly from the Bioware boards. And what I meant by that comment was this: while playing games, one must get up to eat or use the washroom. If one can do that without complaining, then I see no reason to complain about this.  
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By belaraphon

i will install the whole game to my drive, but disc swapping isn't anything new. so there will be some break in there that makes me get up and change the disc. lots of rpg games did it on the playstation and you didn't have to change the disc back when going to older locations.  game is looking to be fun as hell though.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By monkeyroach

iam 12 what are disc?
    A hour download on steam is what i know.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By RHCPfan24

I think I am only going to get the Special Edition because I find the regular one's box art to be one of the worst I have seen in ages. Still, two discs is fine if it is installable. Taking the Forza 3 approach is fine in my opinion.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Three0neFive

I laugh at you gvuys and your primitive "discs". I'll be downloading this day one. Should only take an hour or so.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Ferginator4k

It doesn't really affect me as ill be getting the PC version but its still interesting to see console games with multiple discs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.