Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Mass Effect > Star Wars?

• 189 results
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By fjordson

Personally, I think Star Wars is a pile of shit. Yes, Empire Strikes Back is a legitimately great film, Han Solo is a great character (as are a few other characters) and friends tell me that a small amount of the related literature is pretty cool, but that's it. All the other movies, TV shows, etc. that I've come into contact with are garbage. 

I also hate its close affiliation with sci-fi. As a lifetime lover of science fiction, I'll never understand why it gets so much praise when discussing the genre. It's bloody teen fantasy not science fiction. Stuff like Star Trek, Blade Runner and yes, Mass Effect, are infinitely more appealing to me than Star Wars.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

Probably on par for me. I love both of their Universes, and there with the ME Franchise still being fairly new, it's tough to contend against the many many fantastic Star Wars games.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By TheAdmin

Whether you like star wars or mass effect aside... I think we can all agree that George Lucas is out of his mind and is the worst part of SW.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Gabriel
    @Fjordson said:
    " Personally, I think Star Wars is a pile of shit. Yes, Empire Strikes Back is a legitimately great film, Han Solo is a great character (as are a few other characters) and friends tell me that a small amount of the related literature is pretty cool, but that's it. All the other movies, TV shows, etc. that I've come into contact with are garbage.   I also hate its close affiliation with sci-fi. As a lifetime lover of science fiction, I'll never understand why it gets so much praise when discussing the genre. It's bloody teen fantasy not science fiction. Stuff like Star Trek, Blade Runner and yes, Mass Effect, are infinitely more appealing to me than that garbage. "
    Every time someone mentions Blade Runner, I'm compelled to mention Total Recall is better.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55  Edited By WickedCestus

So, if I don't like either of them that much that means I'm a stoner who loves Halo? 

Brilliant poll.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By ArchScabby

I like Star Wars.

But I like Mass Effect more.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By bhhawks78

Never liked Star Wars/Star Trek/Firefly/Battlestar/sci fi series X until Mass effect 1/2 and the newest star trek movie.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

If people are talking the original Star Wars Trilogy and they think Mass Effect is better they must place so much importance on interaction... it's not even remotely close to as good from a plot perspective.  I like the ME universe but the main storylines are not that strong, especially in 2 which I thought had some big flaws at the end.  The nonexistent "Suicide Mission" that was built up throughout the game (where you literally have to try to kill your whole party or half ass the game before that) and the stupid terminator boss and weak cliffhanger really soured me on that game.  

Really, lets compare both series "Dark Second Chapters": Empire and ME2.... Both open with great scenes, that is for sure (Hoth and the destruction of the Normandy).  Empire is the best Star Wars film and leaves your mind absolutely blown and throws the whole storyline in a new direction with more importance to all the characters and their conflicts (especially Luke vs Vader, which becomes a destined battle and solidifies both characters as the central hero and villain).  It gives you a cliff hanger, but one that leaves all the main characters in peril, the villain as a more important character with direct ties to the main hero, and you wondering what the hell will happen, while not feeling cheap.  ME 2 might as well not exist, it totally feels like "Well, something has to happen before the reapers come"... who is the bad guy?  That idiotic terminator robot that didn't appear before the end?  Humans were being harvested... so what if Earth will be destroyed?  What new things do we learn in the course of the game that really means something?  In comparison to ME 1 it again seems like filler.  We only get interesting threads left unsolved in regards to Cerebrus, something that was a throwaway part in the first game and thus is not a consistent part of the whole story.  And the characters wrapped up in that plot didn't exist before 2, the ones from 1 are mostly only there to show the results of your actions in 1, and the ones that return to your party like Garrus are not wrapped up in any new or interesting plots.  Maybe you had a romance with Garrus, but if the importance of your romance to the next game is handled in 3 like it was in 2 it might as well of never happened from an overall plot perspective.

ME 1 had a much stronger storyline, but even with that there is no comparison to the original Star Wars, in the structure of the plot, its pacing, its twists, and the beauty of its simplicity...  even if Return of the Jedi had some lame moments.  As an overarching story, ME wanders and is not tied together well.  I understand from a game perspective why some of these things exist, but if we are comparing the two main plots it means ME is not as good.  The central villain, for example, is an important part of this type of action/adventure fiction... whats the central villain of ME?  ME 1 had one at least but ME 2 had none and 3 can't have one that came from the ones before either, so from an overarching story perspective that's a big flaw.  Yes, I know about the Reapers but an army of different  enemy space ships are not a compelling villain from a plot perspective.

NOW, if we are talking the new Star Wars films, then I think Mass Effect is going to be better by the third game, absolutely.  Already is IMO and will wrap up in a way that makes it clearly better I'm sure. 

All that aside, I do understand why people love the whole ME universe and in many ways it is better constructed, being more sci-fi than Star Wars (which is really a kind of space fantasy series, like LOTR in space).  But in regards to the plots... I don't see how ME could possibly stack up.  That has always been the issue to me about really diving into the ME ficiton: I find it hard to really care about Shepard or the characters or the central plot, so without that really hooking me I just enjoy the games and move on, especially in regards to ME 2.

I keep an open mind and am certainly looking forward to ME 3, I really like the series, but so far its not close.  Maybe 3 would change my mind but I doubt it considering the lack of cohesion, consistent characters and conflicts... also add in Shepard being pretty much a lifeless character as an avatar for you.  (Even if Luke did become pretty lifeless in Return of the Jedi lol)

@Gabriel

said:

" @Fjordson said:

" Personally, I think Star Wars is a pile of shit. Yes, Empire Strikes Back is a legitimately great film, Han Solo is a great character (as are a few other characters) and friends tell me that a small amount of the related literature is pretty cool, but that's it. All the other movies, TV shows, etc. that I've come into contact with are garbage.   I also hate its close affiliation with sci-fi. As a lifetime lover of science fiction, I'll never understand why it gets so much praise when discussing the genre. It's bloody teen fantasy not science fiction. Stuff like Star Trek, Blade Runner and yes, Mass Effect, are infinitely more appealing to me than that garbage. "

Every time someone mentions Blade Runner, I'm compelled to mention Total Recall is better. "

Dude... not the thread for this but as much FUN as Total Recall is Blade Runner is a movie with serious meaning that is beautifully crafted by the film makers and actors.  I don't think that's close.  I love watching Recall and probably have seen it more times but it's not a better crafted movie.  I guess more fun is fine but not better, if we are viewing film as an art form.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By EpicSteve
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    *Sucks on barrel.
    BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BigLemon

I am tempted to say this is a generational thing, but I will reserve just generalized statements. I'm in my 20s, and I never really grew up with Star Wars the way someone born a decade earlier might have. I am a huge Mass Effect fan, but I am not sure what we are comparing here. Mass Effect is a video game, and Star Wars is a movie. Sure, there have been Star Wars games. And perhaps Mass Effect will one day be turned into a movie. I think it's apples and oranges here as far as a comparison. But I would say I like Mass Effect "stuff" more than Star Wars "stuff."

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By fjordson
    @Gabriel said:
    " @Fjordson said:
    Every time someone mentions Blade Runner, I'm compelled to mention Total Recall is better. "
    The very idea of Total Recall being compared to Blade Runner in any sort of way makes me physically sick, but to each their own I suppose.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Brendan
    @yousuck137 said:
    "Mass effect is so much better... and for those people: Yoda is a little bitch and a quitter, he ran away and hid in a swamp like a wimp. That's the truth! "

Jim Rome said so, it must be true!
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By fjordson
    @99X said:
    " Whether you like star wars or mass effect aside... I think we can all agree that George Lucas is out of his mind and is the worst part of SW. "
    Totally in agreement there. I don't think it's a coincidence that the far and away best Star Wars film is the only one out of the six to not be either directed and/or written by Lucas.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By Rayfield
    @supermike6 said:
    "So, if I don't like either of them that much that means I'm a stoner who loves Halo?  "

Yep that's right. The below image represents you, bro.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By ravensword

Star Wars is beyond a movie franchise at this point. Its a freakin entity. So no.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By tourgen

Well for me it goes,

Blade Runner > Mass Effect > Aliens > Star Trek > ... > Buck Rogers >  Star Wars

So a pretty easy answer for me.  I thought the Falcon was a pretty cool ship design.  Harrison Ford is awesome in the Han Solo role.  Parts of Empire were solid and fun.  Everything else though, meh.  Tip of the hat at least for revitalizing interest in sci-fi.

You know what I want to see?  More Blade Runner.  And that Alien prequel which is getting made!  Give me more of that.  In fact appoint Ridley Scott as Person In Charge of All Science Fiction Film Direction.  He gets final sign-off on all film before it goes in the can.  We need oversight on this people!  We could have all been saved from the Star Wars prequels.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#67  Edited By iam3green

it's star wars. the trilogy is better than the rest. i couldn't get into mass effect when i played it. i found it boring for some reason. star wars is a movie and not a game. they were great to see all the time. they both have a lot of different aliens in the game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MikkaQ

C. Mass Effect is awesome and all, but I don't see it being as cool without all the inspirado they got from classic sci-fi like Star Wars and Star Trek n' shit. 

The fact that I play my character like an angry female Han Solo is testament to that.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By scarace360

You really wanna get beat up dont you.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By lucas_kelly

I can't believe people are actually voting for Mass Effect. 
    The Star Wars universe is far deeper and richer that the Mass Effect universe will ever be. When you consider all the alien races, all the planets, and all the stories involved in the Star Wars universe, Mass Effect doesn't even come close to competing with what Geirge Lucas created.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By JoeyRavn

I voted C. I can't really tell which one is better. They sure share many similarities and premises, but they are different enough to tell them apart. What Mass Effect does better balances what Star Wars did (does?) better. 

But I would have totally voted for "Wrex" if it was an option :(

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

For me, yes. It's also nice to have something like this for my generation that I was a part of when it first started. I hope it continues for a long time in some form!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Red

As far as importance, hell no. 
    As far as general quality, Mass Effect is probably better.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By schlorgan

Uh, D...

I will agree with Zero Punctuation: the good of Star Wars is heavily outweighed by the bad. The only great things about Star Wars are the original trilogy and KoToR.
    Meanwhile, everything Mass Effect is great.
    I rest my case...

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Of course not. Without Star Wars, Mass Effect wouldn't exist.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77  Edited By crusader8463

Bad poll is bad. And no.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

The story in Mass Effect is better than that of the Star Wars prequels. Unfortunately, some of the voice acting seems just as wooden. The original trilogy, however, has it all.  

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!"

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Without Star Wars there would never be Mass Effect. 
    Also: 
    @crusader8463 said:

" Bad poll is bad. And no. "
    JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By JudgeDread

Mass Effect is this generation's Star Wars but better because George Lucas can't screw with it.

There never will be anything close to Ewoks in this universe
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FateOfNever

Hmm, I dunno.  They don't seem entirely comparable.  I mean, Star Wars, while being sci-fi, is very fantasy heavy sci-fi, with mystical forces and all that comes with that.  Where as Mass Effect, while still being very action-y, is also still very sci-fi oriented, they go crazy into detail on the science part of it all, which sort of makes me think that maybe ME is more like a mix of Star Trek and Star Wars than anything..  Maybe that's just me though.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#82  Edited By benpack

I still can't believe D won.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83  Edited By crusader8463
    @GlenTennis said:
    " I still can't believe D won. "
    I think it's because of the last part. People hate George Lucas.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mars_Cleric

Star Wars is more culturally significant than Mass Effect 
    once people start listing their religion as enkindler instead of jedi then we'll have reached that point
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Venatio

I love Star Wars (even enjoyed the hated prequels!) but I care about and enjoy Mass Effect alot more

Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
    deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Star Wars world is ten times deeper than the Mass Effect world, and Star Wars has had an enormous impact on not only our society, but science fiction as a whole. Star Wars hands down. 

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By PhantomGardener

Shepard.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#88  Edited By JasonR86

This thread should have been called...

"Mass Effect / Star Trek > Star Wars?"

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By blueaniman93

Yes. 

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By E_rock

Shepard. 

But for reals, I respect star wars for what it was and acknowledge that we probably wouldn't have ME without SW.  However, like others have said, the Bioware team did an insane job of creating this futuristic world that's grounded in semi- realistic science.  This just translated to me better and made the universe that much more enjoyable to learn about.  And for that, Mass Effect >> Star Wars

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By maxszy

Story telling wise, absolutely. The thing is though, Mass Effect will NEVER reach the audience (even if it was made into movies) that Star Wars did. Thus it won't hit the acclaim Star Wars did. So suffice to say, Star Wars will always be Star Wars. The number one.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Animasta

Why can't I say eff mass effect, eff star wars and eff halo?

seriously though, I like star wars and the world they created for mass effect isn't especially interesting.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By captain_clayman

they're even if mass effect has 3 really lame prequels.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#94  Edited By Daveyo520

They are both great. ME is better then the prequels though. 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#95  Edited By Undeadpool

They have almost nothing in common. Mass Effect is way more like Star Trek than Star Wars, and as Mr. Plinkett put it so aptly: Star Wars is science/fantasy, Star Trek is science/fiction. Apples and oranges, duder.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#96  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I have lack of faith in Star Wars. Mass Effect has flexibility and reach.
    D.
    Shepard.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#97  Edited By zidd

EA is currently involved in my 2 most favorite sci-fi franchises. Mass Effect and Dead Space.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By EvilTwin

Star Wars is/was a cultural landmark and for me personally an incredibly important part of my formative years.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Shepard.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By LiquidPrince

No doubt. Infinitely better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.