Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo 3DS Gets Priced, Dated, And Detailed

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Making good on a promise to reveal the actual release date of the Nintendo 3DS today, Nintendo has announced that its upcoming handheld will hit Japan on February 26, 2011 at 25,000 yen (around $299 at current exchange rates). In addition to this, Nintendo has also revealed oodles of information about the device's specs, pre-loaded software, and accessories. 

Details on the US or European release of the handheld weren't set in stone at the Tokyo-based event where Nintendo has chosen to debut this and the following information, but the publisher did suggest that we might see a release a stateside release as early as March 2011. So there's that.

Unfortunately, Nintendo didn't share pricing information for regions outside of Japan, however, the 3DS is decidedly expected by the media to stay at the same price point across most regions, meaning we could be looking at a portable that will cost a cool $300 next year. That's, uh, a lot of money.

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==What will you get for that kind of price, you might be asking? According to a PDF released after the event (via Joystiq and Siliconera), an AC adapter, a charging stand, a 2GB SD card, a telescoping metal stylus, and six augmented reality-geared "paper cards" for use with the 3DS' outward-facing camera and several built-in games, are being dropped into the base 3DS package.

The AR cards are the oddity, and while there's little to glean at the moment about the software that will support them (or even the cards in general), it appears as if they'll be read by the 3DS' camera as scenes which then different 3D objects will somehow come to occupy (via Joystiq). Nintendo will, according to Kotaku's blog of the event, release a game called AR Games at some point in the future, perhaps in support of these.

On the rest of the software front, the pre-loaded software coming with the handheld includes two titles Mii-featuring "games" called Mii Studio and Chance Encounter Mii Plaza. The former, according to Kotaku, allows you to generate a Mii based on 3DS-taken pictures. The latter is a passive "Tag" bit of software that allows for some sort of unspecified game data transfer when turned on. Nintendo is also planning to release a game called "Book," which we suppose will be some sort of eReader.

No Caption Provided

The 3DS' Virtual Console will support original Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles. And while that might be exciting, the fact that you can transfer your old DSi and DSi XL downloaded software to the 3DS is probably more. According to an Andriasang translation of the 3DS' hardware fact sheet, "most" downloaded DSiWare games can be transferred to a 3DS. There's apparently some sort of unspecified limit on what can be moved, however.

The 3DS in Japan will launch in Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black colors. You'll notice in the images that the slider is no longer color matched. What you can't see is that each of the buttons will be backlit. Snazzy.

The Home button is one of the more curious additions, and as you'd imagine, it isn't exactly a "Home" kind of command. When pressed, you'll get an XMB-like menu that gives you the ability to do settings-tweaks like, for example, turn on or off the device's Wi-Fi (WPA/WPA2 supporting) functionality. You'll also, apparently, be able to browse the web through via this Home menu as well, though, we haven't seen the browser quite yet.

Just in case you were worried, the 3DS will use cartridges similar to Nintendo DS carts, which will hold a maximum of 2GBs worth of data. The device will also be able to play regular old DS games, too.

No Caption Provided
    Some things weren't touched on at the event, including what kind of life we can expect to from the 3DS' lithium battery, but the vast majority of specs have been revealed. Siliconera has a particularly readable breakdown that might interest you if you really want to know how just how wide each of the screens are or how long the device is. 

I'm not a big fan of portable devices costing as much as consoles if said device can't make a phone call, but I find my wallet-grabbing fingers get antsy whenever I read about the 3DS. With all this info in mind, will you be grabbing one? Or do you need more from Nintendo? 

Last image via Kotaku.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Making good on a promise to reveal the actual release date of the Nintendo 3DS today, Nintendo has announced that its upcoming handheld will hit Japan on February 26, 2011 at 25,000 yen (around $299 at current exchange rates). In addition to this, Nintendo has also revealed oodles of information about the device's specs, pre-loaded software, and accessories. 

Details on the US or European release of the handheld weren't set in stone at the Tokyo-based event where Nintendo has chosen to debut this and the following information, but the publisher did suggest that we might see a release a stateside release as early as March 2011. So there's that.

Unfortunately, Nintendo didn't share pricing information for regions outside of Japan, however, the 3DS is decidedly expected by the media to stay at the same price point across most regions, meaning we could be looking at a portable that will cost a cool $300 next year. That's, uh, a lot of money.

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==What will you get for that kind of price, you might be asking? According to a PDF released after the event (via Joystiq and Siliconera), an AC adapter, a charging stand, a 2GB SD card, a telescoping metal stylus, and six augmented reality-geared "paper cards" for use with the 3DS' outward-facing camera and several built-in games, are being dropped into the base 3DS package.

The AR cards are the oddity, and while there's little to glean at the moment about the software that will support them (or even the cards in general), it appears as if they'll be read by the 3DS' camera as scenes which then different 3D objects will somehow come to occupy (via Joystiq). Nintendo will, according to Kotaku's blog of the event, release a game called AR Games at some point in the future, perhaps in support of these.

On the rest of the software front, the pre-loaded software coming with the handheld includes two titles Mii-featuring "games" called Mii Studio and Chance Encounter Mii Plaza. The former, according to Kotaku, allows you to generate a Mii based on 3DS-taken pictures. The latter is a passive "Tag" bit of software that allows for some sort of unspecified game data transfer when turned on. Nintendo is also planning to release a game called "Book," which we suppose will be some sort of eReader.

No Caption Provided

The 3DS' Virtual Console will support original Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles. And while that might be exciting, the fact that you can transfer your old DSi and DSi XL downloaded software to the 3DS is probably more. According to an Andriasang translation of the 3DS' hardware fact sheet, "most" downloaded DSiWare games can be transferred to a 3DS. There's apparently some sort of unspecified limit on what can be moved, however.

The 3DS in Japan will launch in Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black colors. You'll notice in the images that the slider is no longer color matched. What you can't see is that each of the buttons will be backlit. Snazzy.

The Home button is one of the more curious additions, and as you'd imagine, it isn't exactly a "Home" kind of command. When pressed, you'll get an XMB-like menu that gives you the ability to do settings-tweaks like, for example, turn on or off the device's Wi-Fi (WPA/WPA2 supporting) functionality. You'll also, apparently, be able to browse the web through via this Home menu as well, though, we haven't seen the browser quite yet.

Just in case you were worried, the 3DS will use cartridges similar to Nintendo DS carts, which will hold a maximum of 2GBs worth of data. The device will also be able to play regular old DS games, too.

No Caption Provided
    Some things weren't touched on at the event, including what kind of life we can expect to from the 3DS' lithium battery, but the vast majority of specs have been revealed. Siliconera has a particularly readable breakdown that might interest you if you really want to know how just how wide each of the screens are or how long the device is. 

I'm not a big fan of portable devices costing as much as consoles if said device can't make a phone call, but I find my wallet-grabbing fingers get antsy whenever I read about the 3DS. With all this info in mind, will you be grabbing one? Or do you need more from Nintendo? 

Last image via Kotaku.
    thedude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By thedude1

boom

edit:  goes the dynamite.

MadDog31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MadDog31

shakalaka

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

idk, 300 is a bit much for me. No matter, though, I will still probably get it....

Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hammerjelly

MGS3D .. this will have to purchased.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Raymayne

Tooooooooooooooo expensive tyvm Nintendo.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

$300 is sort of a lot for a handheld... But if it comes out in March, I might go for it.

reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By reddin

I guess I wont buy it day one then. I'll wait for the first or second pricedrop.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

:o Tested beat GB to an article about the 3DS

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Have your say here...

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Will wait for this thing to get vetted. 

Not interested in another Virtual Boy, thanks.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

really hope they get GBA support not interested in tht many Gb games. 

i was hoping for 200-250 but iwill sell my brothers DS to cut the price down
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fwylo

Thats like 5 months away. 

5 Months * 4 Weeks per Month = 20 Weeks 

$300/20 Weeks = $15 Dollars per Week 

Start saving now and it doesn't seem like that much.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By alternate

I called the price after E3 but I expected it to be out before xmas in Japan.

shiro11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shiro11

Mega Man Legends 3 makes me want to get this thing so bad

TZVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TZVI

I think the Wii in Japan was 25,000 yen but was $250 when it came out in America

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate

Watch it cost something even more ridiculous over here in England :( 

Sad face

Gid3on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gid3on

MegaMan Legends 3....that right there makes this the first console in a while that I'll buy day one

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Willy105

Two 3DS's for the price of one iPad/iPhone. 

Looks like Nintendo is still doing the same strategy as they did last-gen, by offering the same at a lower price.

However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toxin066

That's about $100 more than I'm willing to pay. Bummer. =/

Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tsukiyomi
    @Willy105 said:

"However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business. "

PSP-2: $599 USD
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Willy105 said:
    "However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business. "
    The PSP2 is all but confirmed.  Several developers have slipped up and mentioned the tech and it's been heavily implied that developers have developer kits now.  An announcement is incoming, but they probably want to avoid the 3DS hype first.

I'm very impressed with this thing anyway, the technology looks great and the games even better.  Whether I buy one or not though will depend on the UK price, which I can see easily being £250+ and £200 is really the most I'd consider paying and even that would depend on the launch line-up.

After all, we know there will be countless hardware revisions within a fairly short time.
    ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImBigInJapan

It's unlikely it will cost 300 in the States - The current DS hardware and games are significantly more expensive in Japan after currency conversion.

Avatar image for getbentthevideogame
    GetBentTheVideoGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could've decimated the handheld market at $200. Would've been utter dominance. It actually would've gone back in time and stolen PSP profits.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

They aren't gonna make the same mistake they made with the Wii and leave all that money on the table.  You can't really blame them; if there's profit to be made during the initial stage -where they will sell as many they can make- then Nintendo deserves it a whole lot more than eBay / eBay sellers do.

I'd probably pick one up at $300 (but not if $300 becomes £300, as tends to happen).

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By zor

While i want one, i think i'll wait the 2 years for the 3DS-lite (or whatever they are going to call it).

gmanzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gmanzig

I won't be buying one, I can think of many things I can spend $300 on and a Nintendo 3DS isn't one of them.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crushed

Nicholson has something wrong there. AR Games is preloaded onto the system, not "to be released sometime in the future." That's why the cards are there. They had a playable setup of it at E3.

EDIT: Also, considering the weak dollar and strong yen right now, it's entirely plausible that the US price will be $250, not $300.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That is WAY to much money for a handheld. At least now it will be easier to prove that nintendo fanboys are nothing but a bunch after hypocrites after they whined about the PSP's launch price.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By nick_verissimo

Nintendo just lost the game.  The game being me spend money the device...I'd rather spend my money on a new 360 and it's 100 bucks less!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By xyzygy

I'll still be getting this, regardless of if it's 300 dollars. Wasn't the PSP something around that price when it launched?  

Oh and yes, 2 GB carts and support for DS games. That sounds awesome.

@Willy105 said:

" Two 3DS's for the price of one iPad/iPhone.   Looks like Nintendo is still doing the same strategy as they did last-gen, by offering the same at a lower price.  However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business. "

Sony's gonna have a tough time competing if they don't get their ass in gear and reveal the PSP2. The late release of the PS3 hurt them because the 360 already had a year start, and the 360 is still millions of units ahead almost 4 years after the release of the PS3. It's the same with the Xbox and PS2 - PS2 came out in 2000, Xbox in 2001.
    ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ImBigInJapan

Once again, it probably will not be 300 dollars in the US. The DSi XL is like 70 dollars more in Japan than it is in the US.

codemorebetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By codemorebetter

Funny thing is i JUST bought a virtual boy last month, so i feel like my "portable" 3d gaming needs are met for now... though i should get another game besides mario tennis.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Soulblitz

For us UKers, I can't imagine this is going to be £300. The DSi XL sells for £149 right now, so quite how they manage to get away with charging double that I don't know. Don't forget they still need to market this to people who don't know a lot about this type of thing, and why would Average Joe buy a 3DS when he can buy a DSi XL that looks almost exactly the same for half the price? Plus, we're still five/six months away, and there's nothing stopping Nintendo knocking the price down $20/£20/whatever on each model to try and make the 3DS fit in with the current ratio of model pricing. 

All said and done though, I'm calling it at £199 over here in the UK. I can't imagine it going a penny over £200 for the base model.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Jeust
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " Watch it cost something even more ridiculous over here in England :(  Sad face "
    Yep! 
    MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By MjHealy

That is a fair bit of money. Considering kids are big on the ol' DS, $300 is pretty steep even if the tech is pretty fancy.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dany

They haven't announced a price for US yet, the 300 is simply the translated cost, not the actual USD price...right?

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Karmann

...300 bucks!? ...and people bitched about the launch psp's $250... I really want one, but 300 is just too much money for this device, I'll wait and see what the PSP2 is like...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jeust
    @Soulblitz said:
    " For us UKers, I can't imagine this is going to be £300. The DSi XL sells for £149 right now, so quite how they manage to get away with charging double that I don't know. Don't forget they still need to market this to people who don't know a lot about this type of thing, and why would Average Joe buy a 3DS when he can buy a DSi XL that looks almost exactly the same for half the price? Plus, we're still five/six months away, and there's nothing stopping Nintendo knocking the price down $20/£20/whatever on each model to try and make the 3DS fit in with the current ratio of model pricing.   All said and done though, I'm calling it at £199 over here in the UK. I can't imagine it going a penny over £200 for the base model. "
    I think it will be more expensive.
    crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crushed

The DSi XL is 18000 yen (~$215) in Japan, and costs $169 in the US. Something to keep in mind.

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Karmann
    @Willy105 said:

" Two 3DS's for the price of one iPad/iPhone.   Looks like Nintendo is still doing the same strategy as they did last-gen, by offering the same at a lower price.  However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business. "

Two PSP's for the price of one 3DS... 300 bucks is too dam much for a handheld. The PSP costs 160 right now and has comparable power. People who pay 600 bucks for an iphone are Suckers.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
    @Karmann said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Two PSP's for the price of one 3DS... 300 bucks is too dam much for a handheld. The PSP costs 160 right now and has comparable power. People who pay 600 bocks for an iphone are Suckers. "
    It is too expensive, but if the launch succeeds, and the console sells well, expect the hand-held prices to go higher. 
    l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By l3illyl3ob

The media expects the price to stay the same?  Why?  The DSi XL had a different price point here than it did in Japan, why would the 3DS be different? Honestly I'd be very surprised if the 3DS hit american store shelves at $300.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bingbangboom

$300 is higher than the expected $250 but thing is that these devices always drop in price plus there is always eBay market especially if it is hard to get. Nintendo learned this with the Wii where that console was going for double the price online. They will get their early adopters for $300 and eventually lower the price and possible newer design. I really think though that once this gets out for people to play with, it will make many people want one. 

I am interested to see if Nintendo learned anything from Apple with their app store too. If they do adopt something similar, it can work in their advantage especially with wifi apps such as Facebook, Skype and Twitter. Would be a no brainer but then again, it is Nintendo.

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karmann
    @Crushed said:
    " The DSi XL is 18000 yen (~$215) in Japan, and costs $169 in the US. Something to keep in mind.  "
    Hopefully that'll mean a $250 price tag in the states. Let's hope... ...still a little steep though, if PSP2 costs the same, has PS2 games on PSN, and phone built in, then it just might dissuade me...
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By scarace360

300 bucks for me to play awsome games and love plus 3ds im in.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By Siphillis
    @Tsukiyomi said:
    " @Willy105 said:

PSP-2: $599 USD "
    "I will work extra hours for one."
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @BradNicholson: Brad, your readers would probably benefit from some explanation as to what AR means.   
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MichaelBach

Maybe when there is a price drop and some good games. Definitely not a day 1 purchase.

angryemu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By angryemu

I'm on that like a dong gnat! Day. One.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.