And people complain about Jason Statham...

#1 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

OK, so i've only heard the guy in Shadow Complex, Prince of Persia and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune but in all three the guy has done the exact same voice. Maybe he's just the go to guy for when video game writers think just being overly snarky is the same as having a personality (I'm talking to you, Ubisoft hacks) but really, is there another voice actor out there who does as much with so little material? Even a guy like Robin Atkin Downes who has a voice I can pretty much always pick out at least tries to mix it up.

#2 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I've only heard him in two games thus far and I'm no where near getting sick of him. He was passable in PoP, but AWESOME in Uncharted.

#3 Posted by FlamingHobo (4511 posts) -

I thought I recognised his voice, wasn't sure from where. I'm not really sick of his voice, but it would be nice to get a little more variety from him.

#4 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

To be fair the script in shadow complex is complete toss - no one could make that sounds fresh - he was ace in uncharted and fairly go oto guyish in PoP

#5 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I really never recognise the voice actors, they don't stay in my head long enough after completing a game, or even playing it for me to recognise, and I've played a few of the new games he's in, I'd never of guessed it was the same dude.

#6 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

Ahhh so that's where I recognise his voice from then! He's good at playing a certain type of character. Just like most actors these days. Nothing wrong with that at all, stick to what you're good at.

#7 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

The game developers told him when he asked what kind of voice they wanted, they said to him, The Nathan Drake Voice

#8 Edited by Jimbo (9986 posts) -

He also voices Desmond Miles in Assassin's Creed.

Edit:  To say that I've liked his work in all of the above.

#9 Edited by Venatio (4493 posts) -

He has a great voice and I dont mind hearing it in videogames, Ive heard him in Shadow Complex, Uncharted, Halo Wars, Halo 3, Prince of Persia but the best role he has is easily the one in Uncharted

#10 Posted by Soap (3641 posts) -

The main difference is, while they both only play one type of Role, Nolan North is very very good at it, while Jason Statham is probably the single worst 'actor' of this generation.

#11 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Venatio: Who did he voice in Halo 3? Random Marines?
#12 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -
@Hitchenson: Jupp, he is also in H3:ODST
#13 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Who complains about Jason Statham??? I want to beat their ass...or let Jason do it for me. ;)

Nonetheless, I do agree that his voice acting (North's) gets tiresome. I loved him in Uncharted but Shadow Complex features bland characters for the most part. He is the main example, really and I never grew any affection to his character at all. He was just...there.

#14 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@RHCPfan24 said:
" Who complains about Jason Statham??? I want to beat their ass...or let Jason do it for me. ;)  Nonetheless, I do agree that his voice acting (North's) gets tiresome. I loved him in Uncharted but Shadow Complex features bland characters for the most part. He is the main example, really and I never grew any affection to his character at all. He was just...there. "
I actually don't mind Statham, he's pretty good in most films, sadly Shadow Complex has a trash story overall, and I think too many crappy writers are trying to copy the "Drake" Character and end up doing it badly, I.E. POP (Even though I liked te game) and SC
#15 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
" Who complains about Jason Statham??? I want to beat their ass...or let Jason do it for me. ;)  Nonetheless, I do agree that his voice acting (North's) gets tiresome. I loved him in Uncharted but Shadow Complex features bland characters for the most part. He is the main example, really and I never grew any affection to his character at all. He was just...there. "
I actually don't mind Statham, he's pretty good in most films, sadly Shadow Complex has a trash story overall, and I think too many crappy writers are trying to copy the "Drake" Character and end up doing it badly, I.E. POP (Even though I liked te game) and SC "
Yeah, and by "copying" the character they literally take the same voice actor and write slightly different dialogue. It worked well the first time; second, third, fourth....not so much.
#16 Posted by Exlutonian (167 posts) -

Big up to Nolan and Jason.

#17 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@RHCPfan24 said:
" @PeasForFees said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
I actually don't mind Statham, he's pretty good in most films, sadly Shadow Complex has a trash story overall, and I think too many crappy writers are trying to copy the "Drake" Character and end up doing it badly, I.E. POP (Even though I liked te game) and SC "
Yeah, and by "copying" the character they literally take the same voice actor and write slightly different dialogue. It worked well the first time; second, third, fourth....not so much. "
I think only Uncharted did it properly, I don't know how but for me he's typecasted into the role, and It doesn't help when the games companys ask for the "Drake" voice, his normal voice is perfectly fine when it's minimalistic like in Assassin's Creed, Didn't know it was him :)
#18 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
@Soap said:
" The main difference is, while they both only play one type of Role, Nolan North is very very good at it, while Jason Statham is probably the single worst 'actor' of this generation. "
Nope. Jason Statham is probably one of my favorite actors, along with Sean Bean and Jackie Chan.

Honestly, I hated his voice in PoP. Mainly because I feel the Prince of Persia shouldn't be some snarky white guy.
#19 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" @Soap said:
" The main difference is, while they both only play one type of Role, Nolan North is very very good at it, while Jason Statham is probably the single worst 'actor' of this generation. "
Nope. Jason Statham is probably one of my favorite actors, along with Sean Bean and Jackie Chan.

Honestly, I hated his voice in PoP. Mainly because I feel the Prince of Persia shouldn't be some snarky white guy. "
No, No It didn't happen like that.

I hated the Emo phase the best was easily the First one
#20 Posted by DonChipotle (2843 posts) -

Hey, at least he isn't Johnny Yong Bosch who literally has the same voice in any game he is in.

#21 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
@PeasForFees: Yeah, I just heard that today. That came as a surprise; didn't know that.
#22 Posted by JazzyJeff (403 posts) -
@Soap said:
Really, dude? I admit that he's not exactly known for his range, but that's pretty harsh.
#23 Posted by Soap (3641 posts) -
@JazzyJeff said:
" @Soap said:
Really, dude? I admit that he's not exactly known for his range, but that's pretty harsh. "
Well, that's being a little bit extreme.. but has anyone ever seen War? jeeeesus, I found that painful to watch lol.
#24 Posted by DonChipotle (2843 posts) -
@Soap said:
" @JazzyJeff said:
" @Soap said:
Really, dude? I admit that he's not exactly known for his range, but that's pretty harsh. "
Well, that's being a little bit extreme.. but has anyone ever seen War? jeeeesus, I found that painful to watch lol. "

He's proven he can act outside of the typical 'tough guy' role he seems to be cast in these days.
#25 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Just to clarify, I really like Jason Statham but people complain about his lack of range meanwhile i've seen nothing but love for Nolan North when all he does is be a dick. I haven't played much of Uncharted but there, it seemed to work, in Prince of Persia it seemed like he'd been asked to sound like the biggest dickhead you've ever encountered in your life and that's all he does but for some reason, everyone likes that.

#26 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

The problem with Nolan North is - he is Nathan Drake. Playing Prince Of Persia felt wrong. I'd imagine Shadow Complex is wrong too. Dude is Nathan Drake. End of discussion.

#27 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

hey you don't mess with jason stathem or nolan north I love them both

#28 Edited by Asurastrike (2174 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:

" OK, so i've only heard the guy in Shadow Complex, Prince of Persia and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune but in all three the guy has done the exact same voice. Maybe he's just the go to guy for when video game writers think just being overly snarky is the same as having a personality (I'm talking to you, Ubisoft hacks) but really, is there another voice actor out there who does as much with so little material? Even a guy like Robin Atkin Downes who has a voice I can pretty much always pick out at least tries to mix it up. "

Steven Blum (voice actor of Jack in MadWorld, Spike in Cowboy Bebop, and Zaka in Valkyria Chronciles) has done the same voice for every single role he does.

Also, Crank makes up for every crappy movie Jason Statham has done.

#29 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

You know why I love Jason Statham? His usual role is kick ass. Michael Cera is another story.

#30 Posted by Dethfish (3697 posts) -

Nolan North usually does a good job and he can be funny at times like when he played Dead Pool. Jason Statham usually bores me. I'm not sure why but I've fallen asleep while watching 3 of his movies. He's alright as a bad ass action guy though.

#31 Posted by screwed (140 posts) -

I'd let Nolan North go south on me any day!!
<3

#32 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

He IS Nathan Drake to me, didn't really think the voice worked in PoP.

#33 Posted by Jedted (2412 posts) -

I haven't really seen Jason Statham much so i don't have an opinion on him but Nolan North i like and his performance in PoP was one of the reasons i enjoyed playing it.  I think he's excellent at playing average dude type characters and that's probebly why developers cast him.  

My favorite Nolan North character is Desmond in AC, even though he's just a secondary character i thought he was cool.  I hope he get's a lot more lines in AC2 and do more than just walk around the lab. 
#34 Edited by damswedon (3201 posts) -

the thing is voice actors need that one sound to be be noticed look at steve blum, jennifer hale and keith david. they all have that one soud that makes them them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.