Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nolan North

Person » credited in 223 games

Nolan North is an American voice actor, known for both the quality and quantity of his roles, and is now a winner (and loser) of multiple "Northies" from giantbomb.com.

And people complain about Jason Statham...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HandsomeDead

OK, so i've only heard the guy in Shadow Complex, Prince of Persia and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune but in all three the guy has done the exact same voice. Maybe he's just the go to guy for when video game writers think just being overly snarky is the same as having a personality (I'm talking to you, Ubisoft hacks) but really, is there another voice actor out there who does as much with so little material? Even a guy like Robin Atkin Downes who has a voice I can pretty much always pick out at least tries to mix it up.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI

I've only heard him in two games thus far and I'm no where near getting sick of him. He was passable in PoP, but AWESOME in Uncharted.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo

I thought I recognised his voice, wasn't sure from where. I'm not really sick of his voice, but it would be nice to get a little more variety from him.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

To be fair the script in shadow complex is complete toss - no one could make that sounds fresh - he was ace in uncharted and fairly go oto guyish in PoP

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

I really never recognise the voice actors, they don't stay in my head long enough after completing a game, or even playing it for me to recognise, and I've played a few of the new games he's in, I'd never of guessed it was the same dude.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Ahhh so that's where I recognise his voice from then! He's good at playing a certain type of character. Just like most actors these days. Nothing wrong with that at all, stick to what you're good at.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

He also voices Desmond Miles in Assassin's Creed.

Edit:  To say that I've liked his work in all of the above.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Venatio

He has a great voice and I dont mind hearing it in videogames, Ive heard him in Shadow Complex, Uncharted, Halo Wars, Halo 3, Prince of Persia but the best role he has is easily the one in Uncharted

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By Soap

The main difference is, while they both only play one type of Role, Nolan North is very very good at it, while Jason Statham is probably the single worst 'actor' of this generation.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Venatio: Who did he voice in Halo 3? Random Marines?
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Venatio
    @Hitchenson: Jupp, he is also in H3:ODST
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

Who complains about Jason Statham??? I want to beat their ass...or let Jason do it for me. ;)

Nonetheless, I do agree that his voice acting (North's) gets tiresome. I loved him in Uncharted but Shadow Complex features bland characters for the most part. He is the main example, really and I never grew any affection to his character at all. He was just...there.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:
    " Who complains about Jason Statham??? I want to beat their ass...or let Jason do it for me. ;)  Nonetheless, I do agree that his voice acting (North's) gets tiresome. I loved him in Uncharted but Shadow Complex features bland characters for the most part. He is the main example, really and I never grew any affection to his character at all. He was just...there. "
    I actually don't mind Statham, he's pretty good in most films, sadly Shadow Complex has a trash story overall, and I think too many crappy writers are trying to copy the "Drake" Character and end up doing it badly, I.E. POP (Even though I liked te game) and SC "
    Yeah, and by "copying" the character they literally take the same voice actor and write slightly different dialogue. It worked well the first time; second, third, fourth....not so much.
    Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Exlutonian

Big up to Nolan and Jason.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By PureRok
    @Soap said:
    " The main difference is, while they both only play one type of Role, Nolan North is very very good at it, while Jason Statham is probably the single worst 'actor' of this generation. "
    Nope. Jason Statham is probably one of my favorite actors, along with Sean Bean and Jackie Chan.

Honestly, I hated his voice in PoP. Mainly because I feel the Prince of Persia shouldn't be some snarky white guy.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By donchipotle

Hey, at least he isn't Johnny Yong Bosch who literally has the same voice in any game he is in.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @PeasForFees: Yeah, I just heard that today. That came as a surprise; didn't know that.
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JazzyJeff
    @Soap said:
    " The main difference is, while they both only play one type of Role, Nolan North is very very good at it, while Jason Statham is probably the single worst 'actor' of this generation. "
    Really, dude? I admit that he's not exactly known for his range, but that's pretty harsh.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#23  Edited By Soap
    @JazzyJeff said:
    " @Soap said:
    Really, dude? I admit that he's not exactly known for his range, but that's pretty harsh. "
    Well, that's being a little bit extreme.. but has anyone ever seen War? jeeeesus, I found that painful to watch lol.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By donchipotle
    @Soap said:
    " @JazzyJeff said:
    " @Soap said:
    Really, dude? I admit that he's not exactly known for his range, but that's pretty harsh. "
    Well, that's being a little bit extreme.. but has anyone ever seen War? jeeeesus, I found that painful to watch lol. "

He's proven he can act outside of the typical 'tough guy' role he seems to be cast in these days.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

Just to clarify, I really like Jason Statham but people complain about his lack of range meanwhile i've seen nothing but love for Nolan North when all he does is be a dick. I haven't played much of Uncharted but there, it seemed to work, in Prince of Persia it seemed like he'd been asked to sound like the biggest dickhead you've ever encountered in your life and that's all he does but for some reason, everyone likes that.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By get2sammyb

The problem with Nolan North is - he is Nathan Drake. Playing Prince Of Persia felt wrong. I'd imagine Shadow Complex is wrong too. Dude is Nathan Drake. End of discussion.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By trophyhunter

hey you don't mess with jason stathem or nolan north I love them both

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By asurastrike
    @HandsomeDead said:

" OK, so i've only heard the guy in Shadow Complex, Prince of Persia and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune but in all three the guy has done the exact same voice. Maybe he's just the go to guy for when video game writers think just being overly snarky is the same as having a personality (I'm talking to you, Ubisoft hacks) but really, is there another voice actor out there who does as much with so little material? Even a guy like Robin Atkin Downes who has a voice I can pretty much always pick out at least tries to mix it up. "

Steven Blum (voice actor of Jack in MadWorld, Spike in Cowboy Bebop, and Zaka in Valkyria Chronciles) has done the same voice for every single role he does.

Also, Crank makes up for every crappy movie Jason Statham has done.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cube

You know why I love Jason Statham? His usual role is kick ass. Michael Cera is another story.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By dethfish

Nolan North usually does a good job and he can be funny at times like when he played Dead Pool. Jason Statham usually bores me. I'm not sure why but I've fallen asleep while watching 3 of his movies. He's alright as a bad ass action guy though.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By screwed

I'd let Nolan North go south on me any day!!
    <3

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Otacon

He IS Nathan Drake to me, didn't really think the voice worked in PoP.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Jedted

I haven't really seen Jason Statham much so i don't have an opinion on him but Nolan North i like and his performance in PoP was one of the reasons i enjoyed playing it.  I think he's excellent at playing average dude type characters and that's probebly why developers cast him.  

My favorite Nolan North character is Desmond in AC, even though he's just a secondary character i thought he was cool.  I hope he get's a lot more lines in AC2 and do more than just walk around the lab. 
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By damswedon

the thing is voice actors need that one sound to be be noticed look at steve blum, jennifer hale and keith david. they all have that one soud that makes them them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.