Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Codemasters CEO will combat piracy with "Unfinished Games"

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I'm going to kick off my first post in these forums with bad news, you guys might of already seen this, but I want to hear y'all's thoughts. Recently in an interview with Computer and Videogames, Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens talked about a new plan to combat piracy with this great idea, " sell unfinished games" . He then talks about " to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.". Now from what happened with DLC, this probably won't stop piracy at all. From what I see, this will do any number of things, such as: People pirating the game, people not buying the game and maybe even people leaving to go play on a console. All this does is inconvenience the people that actually buy the game.

What do you guys think of this? Will this be a trend in future PC games or do you think it will be dropped because of negative feedback.
    The full article can be found here: 
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255861

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Potter9156

Didn't they already do this with Operation Flashpoint 2? That game was in no way a finished product when it was released.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's BS plain and simple the gaming company's out there are getting more and more greedy its a shame really PC gamers has taken so much crap in the last 4 years and its getting worst although i don't think Codemasters method will work its a good thing for me i don't give a damn about there games.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august

I have it on good authority that dlc is as pirated as anything else, so none of this makes sense.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By lucas_kelly

Won't be buying any of their games then.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Potter9156 said:
    "  Didn't they already do this with Operation Flashpoint 2? That game was in no way a finished product when it was released. "
    Yea, it's still unfinished, and they officially stopped releasing updates after patch #2.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaneDev
    @Potter9156 said:
    "  Didn't they already do this with Operation Flashpoint 2? That game was in no way a finished product when it was released. "
    You beat me to it, damn you!! that game was so buggy and poor, it an immense disappointment considering how much they talked it up.  

This plan will never happen though seems kinda far fetched.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Then again, who buys anything Codemasters other than dirt?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

He's just saying what a lot of other publishers are thinking or discussing internally. Hell we've been seeing forms of this for years. It is indeed bullshit, but at least he's saying it out loud.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

So when does the rest of Fuel come out?

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Colin

No, if I want to buy a game I want it to be finished nore do I want it in bits, such a shit idea.  Plus how will that stop piracy, just like everything else they just crack each bit same as a full game.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

Releasing a shitty, half-finished game could turn potential buyers into pirates.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Geno

Wasn't there a statistic somewhere that said only ~25% of gamers buy DLC? Well the other 75% that buy their games will be mighty pissed off. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't PC game anyways. And if this ever happened on consoles, I would stop playing those games from them.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @No0b0rAmA: In all honesty, I don't care what happens to PC games. However, I can say that if we look back over time we can see that if a lot of people buy the game and pay for the rest of the game as this individual suggests, the market will be giving Codemasters a mandate to sell games like this and the trend will continue and perpetuate. Look at Modern Warfare 2 with dedicated servers -- Modern Warfare 2 sold despite this, and this now proves to Activision that having dedicated servers is not an essential bullet point for their Call of Duty franchise. 

Similarly, the fact that games sell at $60 prove to publishers that the $60 price point is fine. If nobody bought games at $60 and everybody only bought games at $40, then publishers would have to dial down their prices. In that way the market does decide. (This is all theoretical.)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Lol worst idea i've ever heard. I bought alot of games from this company, that's what they show me for the support I have given them and many others like me? I usually don't buy DLC content.

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Well, the way that I pictured the idea was like this: 

1) Sell the game incomplete. Literally missing levels, characters, stages, weapons, or whatever. 
    2) Have a mandatory download (for free, at least, in my idea) to complete the game. Like a glorified patch that completes the game. But you need a valid registration and key to download. 

*Most effective method I've thought up so far? Sell the game without the first area or stage. Mandatory download let's you actually start the game. 

But, of course, people will still find a way to pirate the download, and hack them together anyway.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By august
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:
    " @No0b0rAmA: In all honesty, I don't care what happens to PC games. However, I can say that if we look back over time we can see that if a lot of people buy the game and pay for the rest of the game as this individual suggests, the market will be giving Codemasters a mandate to sell games like this and the trend will continue and perpetuate. Look at Modern Warfare 2 with dedicated servers -- Modern Warfare 2 sold despite this, and this now proves to Activision that having dedicated servers is not an essential bullet point for their Call of Duty franchise.   Similarly, the fact that games sell at $60 prove to publishers that the $60 price point is fine. If nobody bought games at $60 and everybody only bought games at $40, then publishers would have to dial down their prices. In that way the market does decide. (This is all theoretical.) "
    The strategy this guy is suggesting is a lot more effective on a closed system like a console, though.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

This thread already exists, and the guy is talking about optional additional content - like Warden's Keep in Dragon Age for example.  It's like... releasing the game as a platform that you can easily attach more content to (and then charge for).  I don't think by "unfinished" he means "it won't work" - he means it isn't the full available experience.

To be honest, I think that Rule #1 with gaming is that most people just don't want it to be a hassle or confusing.  If avoiding hassle means missing out on a game entirely, then - as far as the mainstream market is concerned -so be it.  This is ultimately why I think 'solutions' like making people enter codes for online, or splitting games up into a bunch of optional content etc. will backfire.  People just want to pick up a game and have it work start to finish with as little effort on their part as possible - which is not an unreasonable expectation for something that a lot of people just do to relax in their spare time.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Jimbo: 
    The guy isn't talking about dlc, he's talking about parts of the main game being out for sale in the future, not just armor or guns, he means whole areas and campagins that normally should come with the original game to be sold at a later date.
    FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FireSketch
    @ikabubu: It's a good idea but, you're right, it would be easy to break. Somebody could just release the patch online, after downloading it with their registration key.
    And although it doesn't stop some publishers, not everybody has internet access.

There was a study done a while ago by some indie developers which suggested, despite a large percentage of PC gamers being pirates, only 2 or 3 percent of a games estimated profit is lost.
    If it really is that low, I think it would be best for publishers to ignore the problem, or/and start giving Steam a lot more support.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By shadows_kill

So on PC they will only release portions of the game? well couldnt they just pirate all the portions..  anyways they better not do this to consoles but i could see people copying this move (activision)

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sadisticham

Can't think of anything codemasters makes that i care about. So they could give away there games and I'd not look twice it's a name i relate with the words "poor" and "mediocre".

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By beargirl1

this seriously has to be one of the worst ideas that i have heard in a long time. if anything imo, this would encourage people to pirate more.  

terrible, terrible idea. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ColMirage

Combat piracy by screwing over legit consumers while pirates feel almost nothing idea #9001.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    " @Jimbo: 
    The guy isn't talking about dlc, he's talking about parts of the main game being out for sale in the future, not just armor or guns, he means whole areas and campagins that normally should come with the original game to be sold at a later date.
    "
    Whole areas like... Warden's Keep in Dragon Age for example?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@No0b0rAmA said:
    " Then again, who buys anything Codemasters other than dirt? "
    who buys dirt?
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ninjakiller

So making DLC mandatory just another way to gouge actual paying customers.  When are these morons going to realize that their "anti-piracy" efforts only hurt people who actually buy the product rather than the pirates.  So you buy the game, and have to pay extra to actually play it?  You just turned little "David" into a pirate when he spends all his birthday money on one of Codemasters shitty games only to get it home and realize that he needs to spend another $30 or whatever to actually play it.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DLC is for suckers.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ajamafalous
    @hedfone said:
    " @No0b0rAmA said:
    " Then again, who buys anything Codemasters other than dirt? "
    who buys dirt? "
    Why does dirt buy anything Codemasters?
    pwnmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pwnmachine

So what's changing?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

To those saying "Oh PC? I don't care" : Do you not realize all the things that become standard on consoles run their trials on PC first?

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By loopy_101

That sounds like a very silly idea.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By mazik765

Boy does that not make any sense. It seems like they are trying to inconvenience legitimate players way more than they are trying to actually combat piracy.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By No0b0rAmA

This seems like a plot to milk the most money out of people as possible.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ch3burashka

That's a shitty perspective on a business. I understand where he's coming from - DLC and the concept of episodes do give the illusion that games are shipped unfinished. However, he's going about it the wrong fucking way. If I buy a product, it better be complete, and if I want to buy DLC, that's my prerogative. He should instead take a hint from Rocksteady and flood the torrents with a fundamentally broken game, which will push the pirates who REALLY want the experience will buy the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.