Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I Pirate games, so what?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

Piracy in my eyes is down to the lack of care developers give to games on the PC and while I will always without fail buy a Valve game off of Steam, I will more than likely pirate a game before buying it. I have been burnt too many times by games which are so damn expensive these days that when I'm only able to afford one game a month or so due to lots of bills and the goverment taking away part of my wage for Tax, I don't care for buying a bad game after reading good reviews and then wasting all that money. Also what I don't get is how many games seem to come out without a good demo and it's like how else am I going to see if I like the game to buy it or not? How am I gonna know if the game runs well on my system because there are so many bad ports like GTA and Saints Row 2 these days?

I think Piracy is just due to the lazyness of developers.

Companies like Blizzard and Valve put the time in to make polished PC titles and their work always pays off for them because they offer great polished games with a great service like Steam or Battle.net that everyone is happy with. However you get these other companies that put in minimal effort and give a bad port and offer bad services like Rockstar social club or Games for Windows Live and expect us to put up with that. I'm sick of trying to play games online with the whole GFWL thing because they always seem to have that same naff server browser setup that makes it impossible to enjoy the online portion. 

So Yes I pirate games but you know what the games I don't buy are because they're bad and that'll teach the company a lesson to make good games, good ports and put the time in and if they don't then I don't wish to see them make PC games ever again.

What I'll always do though is buy the games I think are good to reward the developer! I just wish'd EA would release their games for the UK over Steam.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Is it safe for me to say "inb4lock?"

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

Congratz, you are not the only one and all this thread will ever do is start flame wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I Pirate games, so what?

So I hope you go to prison?
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By thebeast
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "Is it safe for me to say "inb4lock?""
    I'd rather you try to turn it in to to some sort of decent conversation.
    If you can't manage that (as with many previous threads on the topic) - then you might be right.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By weltal
    PapaLazarou said:

No, it's laziness on your part. You don't make enough money to buy the amount of games you think you deserve and refuse to work more to gain the cash to pay for them.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_

This thread is original and game-changing.

Seriously. You're saying things that have all been said before. I'm fine with your reasoning- a judge in a music case recently ruled that illegal downloads do not necessarily equate lost sales, so that every single download could not be used separately in court. But I digress.

This thread will now degenerate into a bunch of totalitarian self-righteous idiots telling you how wrong you are, that you're somehow killing gaming. Don't listen to them.

I'm out.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Discorsi

That brought a tear to my eye.   YoU sIr aRe My HeRo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
    "This thread is original and game-changing.

Seriously. You're saying things that have all been said before. I'm fine with your reasoning- a judge in a music case recently ruled that illegal downloads do not necessarily equate lost sales, so that every single download could not be used separately in court. But I digress.

This thread will now degenerate into a bunch of totalitarian self-righteous idiots telling you how wrong you are, that you're somehow killing gaming. Don't listen to them.

I'm out."

Not at all. The gaming industry will go on without him. I'm telling him how little respect he has for the economic system, and that I hope he goes to prison.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
    TheBeast said:
    "RHCPfan24 said:
    "Is it safe for me to say "inb4lock?""
    I'd rather you try to turn it in to to some sort of decent conversation.
    If you can't manage that (as with many previous threads on the topic) - then you might be right.
    "

Oh snap...

Anyway! Don't pirate games, kids. It doesn't make you cool.

:D
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    Bellum said:
    "Not at all. The gaming industry will go on without him. I'm telling him how little respect he has for the economic system, and that I hope he goes to prison."
    What self-respecting person would have respect for an economic system that obviously has no respect for said person itself?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The person who wants to benefit from his labor.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Karmum

You have to put that blame on the developers at least somewhat. Take EA for example, many of their games are easy to pirate. I won't go into detail of what games and how, but they are pretty easy to get without much trouble. Piracy will never end, but it could be managed.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
    Bellum said:
    "The person who wants to benefit from his labor."
    That goes both ways.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "Bellum said:
    "The person who wants to benefit from his labor."
    That goes both ways."

Like a bi-sexual!

Thanks Ted, that WAS the joke.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By breadfan
    PapaLazarou said:

What I'll always do though is buy the games I think are good to reward the developer!
    Do you want a medal?
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunswordfist
    Jayge said:
    "This thread is original and game-changing.

I'm out."
    What Jayge said except I'm sticking around.
    Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rivix

Piracy is one of the reasons PC gaming is in a decline. Some developers have said that they choose consoles for this reason. Your not making it any better for PC gaming. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By weltal
    Karmum said:
    "You have to put that blame on the developers at least somewhat. Take EA for example, many of their games are easy to pirate. I won't go into detail of what games and how, but they are pretty easy to get without much trouble. Piracy will never end, but it could be managed."
    How is it the developer's fault that their game can be pirated? There is no possible way to prevent people from pirating a game.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech

Well, uhh... I don't?

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By LackLuster
    Avatar image for reflectionshadow
    reflectionshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By reflectionshadow

yea so what? like i care you pirate games.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gunswordfist
    Weltal said:
    "Karmum said:
    "You have to put that blame on the developers at least somewhat. Take EA for example, many of their games are easy to pirate. I won't go into detail of what games and how, but they are pretty easy to get without much trouble. Piracy will never end, but it could be managed."
    How is it the developer's fault that their game can be pirated? There is no possible way to prevent people from pirating a game."
    More specifically how is it the publisher's fault? EA is a publisher that has COUNTLESS great developers under its wing such as Valve, Crytek, Criterion, EA Redwood Shores (Man did I LOVE James Bond Everything Or Nothing) and DICE.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gizmo

I pirate music, I do NOT pirate games. Game developers are real people, they have families and kids to feed, artists are grossly over-paid and are not suffering from my lack of purchasing their music.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gunswordfist
    Gizmo said:
    "I pirate music, I do NOT pirate games. Game developers are real people, they have families and kids to feed, artists are grossly over-paid and are not suffering from my lack of purchasing their music."
    Oh boy. That's like saying you pirate games and not music because execs at companies like EA are overpaid.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_
    Gizmo said:
    "I pirate music, I do NOT pirate games. Game developers are real people, they have families and kids to feed, artists are grossly over-paid and are not suffering from my lack of purchasing their music."
    Because the people editing the music, overseeing the art and production, and doing all of the other menial jobs surrounding the recording and production of record albums are all grossly overpaid and living rich, right? If you're going to be a hypocrite, come up with something a little less transparent than that.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gizmo
    gunswordfist said:
    "Gizmo said:
    Oh boy. That's like saying you pirate games and not music because execs at companies like EA are overpaid."
    Also, there is a lot of difference between something which has taken years to produce and something which lasts for 180 seconds, i'm not paying 79p for 180 seconds of sound.
    I did purchase Mothership by Led Zeppelin though, that was totally worth it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

I'm just making a point that the industry is to blame and not the people who download them.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By breadfan
    PapaLazarou said:
    "I'm just making a point that the industry is to blame and not the people who download them."
    The people who download games are the reason why the industry is suffering, especially regarding the PC market

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To blame for what? To blame for their games being pirated, or to blame for their games not selling well? Pirates are most certainly responsible for their own actions, as are the devs. Games that don't sell well generally don't sell well because A) People don't like it B) The budget was unrealistic given the developers ability to sell the game, or C) because nobody knows about it (also in relation to B, if a developer cannot advertise their game, they should plan accordingly).

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gunswordfist
    Jayge said:
    "Gizmo said:
    Because the people editing the music, overseeing the art and production, and doing all of the other menial jobs surrounding the recording and production of record albums are all grossly overpaid and living rich, right? If you're going to be a hypocrite, come up with something a little less transparent than that."
    Well I wouldn't call him or anyone here a hypocrite but I must say that I personally don't think his reasons are good. It's like vegetarians who eat fish and say fish have lived a good enough life so it's okay to eat them. It looks like we see some of these highly paid people/celebrities as 'fish'.Gizmo said:
    "gunswordfist said:
    "Gizmo said:
    Oh boy. That's like saying you pirate games and not music because execs at companies like EA are overpaid."
    Also, there is a lot of difference between something which has taken years to produce and something which lasts for 180 seconds, i'm not paying 79p for 180 seconds of sound.
    I did purchase Mothership by Led Zeppelin though, that was totally worth it."

But it can easily be said that games are outdated faster than any great song. I also guarantee you that people replay music they like more than games they like.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think we can all learn a lesson from bad educational videos from the early 90s. Edit: Dang. It posted twice.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pause422
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Piracy in my eyes is down to the lack of care developers give to games on the PC and while I will always without fail buy a Valve game off of Steam, I will more than likely pirate a game before buying it. I have been burnt too many times by games which are so damn expensive these days that when I'm only able to afford one game a month or so due to lots of bills and the goverment taking away part of my wage for Tax, I don't care for buying a bad game after reading good reviews and then wasting all that money. Also what I don't get is how many games seem to come out without a good demo and it's like how else am I going to see if I like the game to buy it or not? How am I gonna know if the game runs well on my system because there are so many bad ports like GTA and Saints Row 2 these days?

Companies like Blizzard and Valve put the time in to make polished PC titles and their work always pays off for them because they offer great polished games with a great service like Steam or Battle.net that everyone is happy with. However you get these other companies that put in minimal effort and give a bad port and offer bad services like Rockstar social club or Games for Windows Live and expect us to put up with that. I'm sick of trying to play games online with the whole GFWL thing because they always seem to have that same naff server browser setup that makes it impossible to enjoy the online portion. 

So Yes I pirate games but you know what the games I don't buy are because they're bad and that'll teach the company a lesson to make good games, good ports and put the time in and if they don't then I don't wish to see them make PC games ever again.

What I'll always do though is buy the games I think are good to reward the developer! I just wish'd EA would release their games for the UK over Steam."
    Uh no, I definitely won't be happy with Battlenet, not the way its going to happen for SC2 or D3. Charging money to use that is complete bullshit(they've pretty much confirmed this is happening), and for what? To play 2 games online? Yeah, no thanks. I've pirated games before, but mainly ones that are super old or something I wanted to try that I know 100% I really wouldn't like, but people were bitching to try it, example Mount and Blade. The only example of me doing this though recently was completely fine, and if you disagree you're wrong. I went to buy the Starcraft+BroodWar pack on Blizzard.com, for instant download of course, I paid the full price to get them and everything, and it just didn't work. The downloader was fucking up and it just would not work.  I couldn't get a hold of Blizzard at all when it happened so you know what? They already took my 15 bucks for the 2 games, so then I just went and torrented them. So they got their money anyway.

I mostly only accept piracy though, for myself, if a old game can't really be gotten anymore or anywhere else, or emulation of some old old games that you can't get anywhere else either, because in that case you aren't actually hurting anyone by taking it, once no one owns the rights to it anymore. So anyone that ever says shit against that right there, and tries to run a "guilt trip" or "NO ITS NEVER OK, DON'T MAKE EXCUSES", is just someone everyone can openly ignore, because they're morons, there is definitely times when pirating things isn't even pirating things, when no one is getting anythin stolen from them in that case.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By keyhunter

I pirate games all the time. But I've also got a stack of not pirated XBOX 360 games (like 80 of them) and hundreds of other not pirated games. It's all about moderation baby. Buying stuff off steam is just dumb though. No Box? Whaa?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thrawn1

wait...you won't spend the money on a game, and the developer is lazy?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Absurd

Do what you want, I've pirated games before, but whenever I play the game, It feels "dirtier"

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

So it's illegal, that's what.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Discorsi

Well I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By CreamyGoodness

though i do not agree with your morrals of illigicity, i do think you may be on to something. When developers put time and effort into stuff it usualy does not have this issue. although this will probaly be locked because it is in clear violation of the rules.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RetroIce4

WANNA FIGHT BOUT' IT?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CreamyGoodness said:
    "though i do not agree with your morrals of illigicity, i do think you may be on to something. When developers put time and effort into stuff it usualy does not have this issue. although this will probaly be locked because it is in clear violation of the rules."

"The rules" are what the mods want them to be, when they want them to be. :P
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Don't.  Don't you realize that game developers are real people?  You buying the game directly relates to them keeping their job.

Music is different I'd say as when you buy a record you're essentially supporting record companies with overpaid employees.  You support the actual musician by going to the concerts.
    That and the fact that there's really not many people involved in the production of music.
    And you know what I've realized about music recently?  Professional music is not better than amateur music.  go to the audio portal of newgrounds for proof

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By CreamyGoodness
    ArbitraryWater said:
    "I think we can all learn a lesson from bad educational videos from the early 90s. Edit: Dang. It posted twice.

"
    and i thought 2 girls one cup was bad
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By azteris
    PapaLazarou said:
    "I'm just making a point that the industry is to blame and not the people who download them."
    This is my problem. Completely absolving yourself of any possibility of guilt or an immoral conscious and basically just going "NO ITS THEIR FAULT I TAKE THEIR STUFF" is really just lame.

EDIT: Also, your argument is complete shit. Obviously if your downloading it, you have some interest in it. The real reason your downloading is you want to game beyond your economic means, not because the companies don't make the game good enough (your downloading it to play it).
    Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TomServo

I think the charges on piraters are exorbitant, I mean honestly people who pirate wouldn't have bought the items anyway so there are no real damages to collect on. I hope that one day we have some sort of system in place wherein there can be wider legal access to content after a certain number of sales so that people who want it bad enough and want to do things legally can buy it in the first year of release and then after that it's fair game.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gunner
    Jayge said:
    "Gizmo said:
    Because the people editing the music, overseeing the art and production, and doing all of the other menial jobs surrounding the recording and production of record albums are all grossly overpaid and living rich, right? If you're going to be a hypocrite, come up with something a little less transparent than that."
    The people that edit/oversee/do menial jobs dont get payed based on how well the record sells, they get payed based on how much they charge.
    EDIT: I in now way support piracy of any kind, but music artists do get way over payed for what they do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the charges on piraters are exorbitant, I mean honestly people who pirate wouldn't have bought the items anyway

Generally speaking, gamers will find a way to play games. I will say, though, that the majority of Pirates are likely kids, who are self-centered animals with no sense of worth, or people who live in countries where games are extremely expensive or unavailable. I'm just pulling that out of my ass, mind, I really have no idea.

I hope that one day we have some sort of system in place wherein there can be wider legal access to content after a certain number of sales so that people who want it bad enough and want to do things legally can buy it in the first year of release and then after that it's fair game.

Why should you be entitled to something someone worked hard on just a year after release? Why should the developers be forced to give up their rights to their product?
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Criminals often try to justify their actions.

TheJadeAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheJadeAngel

Quick someone log the IP's of those admitting it and send them in to the appropriate authority .   Fucking Theives .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.