so what old games do you still play

#1 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

So i've asked before, but i was wondering if anyone could enlighten me....what games do people still play online that are somewhat old? I was thinking of installing say Call of Duty and it's UO expansion pack along with possibly Warcrafft 3, BF 1942, and then maybe some Half-Life/CS 1.6/ or DoD/ (and their various mods) Do you all think it's worth it and if so, are any of these games still popular on the online arena?

#2 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

I still pop in KOTOR 1 or 2 every now and then, along with jade empire and half life 2.

#3 Posted by Budster (134 posts) -

I play Fallout 1 and 2, Megaman X - X5, Star Solider and a lot of others that I just can't think right now

#4 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
  • Half-Life
  • Half-Life Opposing Force (Which I can't complete because it's the Steam version.)
#5 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

I still play CoD 2 regularly. The pinnacle of WWII shooters; it's all been downhill since this lustrous title. What?

#6 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Lol noone read he said online games...

Call of Duty 1 probably has very few players now...
Warcraft 3 probably has a big community, but it's only worth trying if you're already really good (I tried it before and between cheaters and being unskilled it was not fun)
BF1942 probably doesn't have very many players anymore.
I wish more people had played Half Life 1 DM, even when it was brand new hardly anyone played it, and it was GREAT.
Tons of people still play the original CS.

#7 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

Front cover.

#8 Posted by tyrafan28 (31 posts) -

Jade empire would have to be one.

#9 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic IV from time to time as far as PC goes.

#10 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

I still play Warcraft 3 , Starcraft, and once the ladder resets Diablo 2. Yeah I like Blizzard stuff. Also, a lil UT2k4.

#11 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

I know that Warcraft III and Counter Strike are pretty well played still.

I for one have been on a huge Diablo 2 run for the past 3 months or so.  I guess I just want to kill my mouse.  But the community is still alive and well for that game.

#12 Posted by tekmojo (2300 posts) -
Matthew said:
"I know that Warcraft III and Counter Strike are pretty well played still.I for one have been on a huge Diablo 2 run for the past 3 months or so.  I guess I just want to kill my mouse.  But the community is still alive and well for that game."

MrGetBonus said:
"I still play Warcraft 3 , Starcraft, and once the ladder resets Diablo 2. Yeah I like Blizzard stuff. Also, a lil UT2k4."
Great classics. I want to get back into Warcraft 3, and Diablo 1 or 2. However, games on my list are Jedi Knight 2: Outcast, some Counterstrike: Source, and a fancy lost-potential mod called Sourceforts. Oh and EVE too, but I'd rather just leave that one in its own category...
#13 Posted by Lashe (1245 posts) -

I still play SNES a bunch but PC wise because I'm on a netbook all I play are old games:

• Unreal Tournament
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Diablo 2
  • Red Alert 2
  • AoE2
  • Deus Ex
  • Counter Strike 1.6
#14 Posted by Tomzombie6 (81 posts) -

The Thief series its awesome feel like your invisible as long as you do not alert any guards or try to kill one but then they call for back up and get like 3 or 5 guards chasing after you. 

#15 Posted by Delta_Ass (3274 posts) -

FreeSpace 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Great gameplay is timeless.

#16 Posted by zolika (110 posts) -

CSS

Super Mario World, Super Mario 3 on PSP
#17 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Lol @ how many people reply to the title without reading the actual topic x)

I think Battlefield 2 still has a healthy community going, and some great mods, while the 1.5 patch should boost it a little, it's in public beta now.

Half-Life is also a good bet for modifications. While their popularity has obviously decreased you can probably always find a good match for the likes of Natural Selection and other such awesome projects.

#18 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1406 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"Lol @ how many people reply to the title without reading the actual topic x)I think Battlefield 2 still has a healthy community going, and some great mods, while the 1.5 patch should boost it a little, it's in public beta now.Half-Life is also a good bet for modifications. While their popularity has obviously decreased you can probably always find a good match for the likes of Natural Selection and other such awesome projects."
so true lol
but yeah i have to agree on battlefield 2, its a great game with still a pretty good amount of people playing online so great fun!
#19 Posted by Budster (134 posts) -

well Al3xand3r said:

"Lol @ how many people reply to the title without reading the actual topic x)I think Battlefield 2 still has a healthy community going, and some great mods, while the 1.5 patch should boost it a little, it's in public beta now.Half-Life is also a good bet for modifications. While their popularity has obviously decreased you can probably always find a good match for the likes of Natural Selection and other such awesome projects."
Emulation is awesome
#20 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -
tekmojo said:
However, games on my list are Jedi Knight 2: Outcast, some Counterstrike: Source, and a fancy lost-potential mod called Sourceforts. Oh and EVE too, but I'd rather just leave that one in its own category..."

Hey, I still play CSS, and I used to play Sourceforts!
#21 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Oblivion of course.

How could I not?

#22 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
Coltonio7 said:
"Oblivion of course.How could I not?"
Same. Weird how that works.
#23 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i still play counter strike source.

#24 Posted by AlzoXP (26 posts) -
@Gunner said:
" I still pop in KOTOR 1 or 2 every now and then, along with jade empire and half life 2. "
What are you?  My twin?

:P
#25 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I used to play COD2 all the time until recentaly.

#26 Posted by Hamst3r (4479 posts) -

I played through Quake 2: Ground Zero a few weeks ago.

#27 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

At the moment, I'm playing Knights of the Old Republic for the sixth time. I am going to try to get KOTOR2 to work with Vista at some point after I finish it.

#28 Posted by Za3r0 (100 posts) -

Age Of Empires 1 & 2. plus both expansions. the greatest RTS ever made for PC.

#29 Posted by sketch (194 posts) -

I still play morrowind a fair bit , and fallout 2 sometimes. I go through System Shock 2 once every few months as well. Also, Caeser 3.

#30 Posted by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -

oh man, lets see. Sim city, X-com, Ultima, Quest for glory,warcraft 3, Baldurs gate, Uncharted waters 2...etc

#31 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

TETRIS

#32 Posted by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

Lol apparently oblivion and cod2 are "old"

Jagged Alliance :D and probably the oldest game here Nethack ;D

#33 Posted by Peach (63 posts) -

STARCRAFT.

#34 Posted by lebkin (330 posts) -
@Johnny5 said:
" Lol apparently oblivion and cod2 are "old" Jagged Alliance :D and probably the oldest game here Nethack ;D "
I feel the same way. These young whippersnappers and their lack of understand of what old is. 

I often like to go and play my old adventure games, including the now ancient Space Quest, released back when I was but a boy.
#35 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Neverwinter Nights 2, KoTOR and Jade Empire.

Pretty much the only PC games I play are old.
#36 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Not online but I still play Bug! and Daytona USA Deluxe from time to time.

#37 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I still play starcraft online.

#38 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

On the PC or in general?
Well on the PC every few months I go back to Age of Empires 2, Starcraft 2, Half-Life and when I find get it, Oregon Trail.
On consoles?  Uhhh....Wrestlemania 2000,

#39 Posted by Sin4profit (2919 posts) -

As far as Online games i'm prettysure Battlefield 2 still has a decent community of players...it's still installed on my computer if that counts as "currently playing"

But as far as old games i just really like to play, i play the PC versions of the Worms games.

As far as old games that i bought and never started, and/or finished,...i don't wanna get into it.

#40 Edited by s3ank1m (126 posts) -

counter strike source, if you want really old id say zork and all the other infocom games that are text based

#41 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I'm a sucker for the old adventure games.
So, yeah...
Grim Fandango.
Sanitarium.

#42 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

I've been playing Warcraft 3 like a madman lately.  I rarely play the base game, since people are crazy good, and I always get raped.  But I've gotten really good at Footmen Frenzy...  Anyone ever play that?

Also, DotA = fail.

#43 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

Theme Hospital.

Always Theme Hospital.

#44 Posted by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

I'm hoping to play through the Broken Sword games soon.

#45 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

i was playing half life 1 a week or two ago, still awesome.

#46 Posted by insomniac12 (3 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 + 3 (despite how long it took me to get graphics support set up correctly), was pretty friggen awesome to play on PC after I haven't even seen either games for a good 5-10 years now. Talk about nostalgia :D

#47 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I usually crack out the SNES or GENESIS and play some games for a while. Last week I poped in Castlevania Dracula X and started playing that for a bit. Best thing about those old systems? No menus no advertisements nothing just pop the game in and play the game.

#48 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

Broken Sword 1 and 2. Usually leave enough time between each playthrough to keep them fresh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.