Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What do you guys think of Vista?

• 74 results
    Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Colonel_Cool

So it seems that most people here have been using Vista for some time now, although I have been sticking with my tried and true copy of XP. I know most of Vista's problems have been solved since its launch, but I never really had a need to buy a copy, since I would just have to go through the hassle of backing up my data, reformating, installing a new OS, reinstalling drivers, service packs, etc. Now that I bought a new hard drive, however, I'm gonna have to do all that stuff anyway, so I thought I might as well install Vista Ultimate 64 bit on it (I'm getting it from a friend). I'm mostly concerned about the kind of performance drop in games and how fast/responsive the OS is compared to XP. I have a q6600, 8800gt, and 3 gigs of ram, so I don't anticipate anything too drastic. What should I expect? Is it worth using over XP?

Avatar image for babyfart_mcgeezaks
    BabyFart_McGeezaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

u can't uninstall internet explorer which is totally gay

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Elijah

If you have XP handy and have no problems with it, don't bother switching.  Vista came with my laptop, and I've sort of warmed up to it, but it's not worth switching to if you can help it.  If you really want to try Vista, go ahead, there's really nothing wrong with it.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Absurd

I still have XP, I should make the switch to Windows 7 >.>

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I like it, it does what I want it too and hasn't given me much trouble. It's not a huge upgrade from XP but I still prefer it to the apple OS.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By mrhankey

i like it, have no issues

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bjorno

I used it, it is fine.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Luke

You should honestly hold-out for Windows 7, if you can.

People are saying that the Windows 7 Beta benchmarks much closer to XP than Vista, plus it's supposed to have even better compatibility than Vista.

There's very gewd chance that Windows 7 will release this year.  Release Canidate 1 is being released to OEM's/TechNet/MSDN Subscribers next month.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

It works.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I tried it and didn't like it that much. I felt more comfortable with XP. I'm playing around with the Windows 7 beta now and then, though, and I like it a lot.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Eelcire

After the release of SP1, Vista performance matched or exceeded XPs in many benchmarks. I like Vista and have had no real isses with the OS; apps and games work fine as well as all my hardware. As mentioned though, if you can wait I'd get Windows 7 instead (which is rumored to have a public build to try at Release Canidate, and finally to be released this fall).

If you're going 64-bit though and don't want to wait, go Vista.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have had zero problems with it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JJOR64

I really like Vista.  There are a few things I don't look but other than that, love it.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Luke
    Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Carlos1408

I've got it on my computer, it's great, but it has some issues, especially with compatibility with older games. But yea it is good.
    However, I wouldn't recommend switching it's not really worth it, wait till the next one comes out (windows 7) and see what happens.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Alexander

I don't see that much of an advance since Windows XP. Other than the aesthetics not much in the way Vista works makes it better.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GeekDown

Vista is ok, but I think XP is way better.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    GeekDown said:
    "Vista is ok, but I think XP is way better."
    I disagree.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eelcire
    Alexander said:
    "I don't see that much of an advance since Windows XP. Other than the aesthetics not much in the way Vista works makes it better."

Many of the advancements were under the hood. The network and sound stacks were rewritten in Vista to better take advantage of newer technology. Vista handles IPv6 address more efficiently, and you are now able to control volume levels per application. The GUI itself was overhauled to take advantage of graphic cards and chipsets instead of relying on the CPU. The much-debated User Account Control is beneficial to the OS and helps keep it safer from running unwanted applications (it was annoying at first, but SP1 fixed many of the issues with it).

The problems some have with Vista is that it's the newest OS from Microsoft, therefore not as good as the trusty old previous OS. XP was ragged on for ages; why run XP when Windows 2000 is so much better? Also, Vista was made mostly with new PCs in mind; and I think many performance issues (not all mind you) stems from older computers that ran XP fine, but wasn't enough for Vista.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60

Vista is good, but I'm pretty sure, Windows 7 is just a fixed up version of Vista with a re-release because of the bad name Vista has.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By subject2change

Been using it for a year, no problems really...just couldn't install my 5 year old printer on it.

For a professional standpoint, its not viable. Not all drivers are vista ready and that really is what hurts it.

Windows 7 if done properly should be fine.  As Vista just literally has a bad name from word of mouth due to it being intolerable by most prior to SP1 (I didn't use it back then, built my machine in May 08).

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eelcire
    CL60 said:
    "Vista is good, but I'm pretty sure, Windows 7 is just a fixed up version of Vista with a re-release because of the bad name Vista has."
    As of right now, Windows 7 is technically Windows NT 6.1 (Vista is Windows NT 6.0, XP is Windows NT 5.1 and 2000 is Windows NT 5.0). So you would be correct in your assement that Windows 7 is a cleaned up Vista, but I would argue it's a pretty major release for Microsoft none the less. Hell, they changed the fundamental of how the taskbar operates! It's akin the addition of the ribbon in Office 2007. Interface and usage changes aren't to be taken lightly.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It works fine, my laptop cam with it ad it runs games as good as a pc with Vista. I f you have it on hand and have to back up everything and shit anyway you should install it.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Funzzo

I am using XP64 but I will give Vista a try.  How bad can it be?

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lamegame621

I went back to XP. Vista has its advantages but is overall rated at a 'meh'.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By wefwefasdf

The Windows 7 Beta is amazing. :D

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I am using 4 gigs, it only reads 3.5 though, it works well for me, faster than XP that way. It has a nice folder to put all your games and I get to play games in directX10 mode.

xenoNfluX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xenoNfluX

I'm currently running build 7077 of the Win 7 beta as the primary OS on my gaming PC. I figured I'd give it a shot instead of spending $100 on an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium.

Win 7 is stupidly rock solid. I've had next to no issues with anything... with any issues stemming from my lack of familiarity with anything post-XP. There is the issue of certain downloaded drivers not installing properly, but that's a non-issue as the OS picked up 100% of my hardware. Nvidia already has solid beta drivers out for Win 7... unlike before Vista.

The only real issue I can see with Windows 7 as a primary gaming OS right now is the fact that PunkBuster won't support it. If you have any games that use it, such as CoD4/5, BF2, etc., you won't be able to play online on PB enabled servers. Beyond that, I've had no issues at all. Gaming performance is amazing.

I'm currently running...

Shuttle sp35p2v2
    Intel E8500 C2D
    8GB DDR2 OCZ RAM
    Evga GTX 260
    1TB WD Caviar Black

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not actually paying for it, so I'll give Vista a shot and upgrade when Windows 7 comes out.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#31  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I run it on my laptop and I really like it.  With enough tinkering in its settings, I can get damn near any older game working (still have to run DOSBox for a few).  I still have occasional trouble trying to search my computer for files (which, by the way, is something I'd love to BS with someone about if they know the system pretty well and aren't going to make fun of my lack of knowledge).  Beyond that, though, it's fairly intuitive and has some great possibilities.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

It's okay. I'd rather XP, but I had to recently switch to Vista in order for my MP3 player and Digital Camera to work properly, since they're both MTP devices.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By raven_squad

It's decent. XP is superior in many ways, but vista does have its advantages, especially if you want to get the most out of newer PC games and high end graphics cards. 

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Karmum

I have been using Windows Vista for about 4 months now (and for the first time, I may add), and I do enjoy it a bit more over XP. Aside from the windows that come up that make me confirm various actions, which is painstakingly annoying after a while. And considering I wasn't willing to get off XP, I'm enjoying Vista alot. I have yet to try the Windows 7 BETA, however.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Gmanall

I bought my pc with vista but got screwed and got XP I say that I am glad it is a system hog

I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By I_am_Lono

I have a feeling that when Windows 7 is released and we've been using it for a couple of years we'll look back at Vista the same way we look back at Windows ME

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By j0rdan

Ive had Vista since it was released, and I love it.
    It has alot of little cool features that makes things alot faster.

But i have to admit, I dont game on Vista.
    This is due to my laptop having SLi and when vista first came out nVidia hadnt sorted there SLi drivers out for it, so I run a dual boot system, one nice small clean instalation of XP with only my games, and Vista for everyday use. It actualy works out great, I can install loadsa stuff on vista without worrying about it interfearing with game performance.

Apparently Vista game problems are over now and all the drivers get very similar results than XP, but becase Ive come to like my dual boot system with a clean XP Ive decided to continue to use it, I like it so much that i think i will always do it from now on.

So Vista is good in my opinion, I actually dislike using XP for general stuff now as I have become reliant on the little features of vista.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By metal_mills

Been using Vista for a month. It's fine, people bitch about it way too much.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By JJWeatherman

It's fine, nothin more, nothin less.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#40  Edited By AgentJ
    It came on my laptop, and I have had no problems with it. It looks nice, I enjoy having the google desktop, and while it's not really built to play games, I have no problems with most of what I want to play.
    DoMiNiC147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DoMiNiC147

I'm using Vista and now I have no desktop Icons so yeah.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By subject2change
    I_am_Lono said:
    I have a feeling that when Windows 7 is released and we've been using it for a couple of years ... [more]
    No we'll say o hey its SP2 for Vista which they charged me 150 bucks to get...same core just a new image both visually and mentally.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Binman88

Vista is fine, I like it.
    For some bizarre reason though, they decided to remove the Up Folder ( ) icon from windows explorer.

I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By I_am_Lono
    @Subject2Change:  That's waht ME was, 98. . . only slower and shit.
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By justinnotjason

I used to defend it, but I've had it completely stop working for absolutely no reason twice in the last 6 months. I'm not an idiot either, I fix computers all the time for people. It's just all of a sudden one day I boot it up and I can't do anything.

Probably gunna Dual Boot Linux and Windows 7 Beta (until it comes out or August whatever's first).

At this point I'd say wait for Windows 7. It's, for the most part, completely compatible with Vista programs and loses alot of the bugs.

When Vista's working I like it alot more then XP, and find it more stable. It just seems to fail alot. It's not just me, alot of the repairs I've done are Vista just not working, same problem I'm having. Programs just won't open; the computer basically goes into lock down- permanantly.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By j0rdan
    Binman88 said:
    Vista is fine, I like it. For some bizarre reason though, they decided to remove the Up Folder ( ) ... [more]
    I never noticed that, had it since launch and never noticed, and thats something i use alot in XP.
    But in vista you can click on the folder structure within the address box to go up the folder hierarchy, so it is a little easier.
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By lord_canti

i have vista 64 bit and love it i see no problems with it  most problems have been fixed with the os in general  my only problems is with the 64 bit version being that i need to do crazy stuff to get things like leisure suit larry 7 to work and useing the exe for KOTOR 1 in order to get KOTOR 2 to work

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By lord_canti

i have vista 64 bit and love it i see no problems with it  most problems have been fixed with the os in general  my only problems is with the 64 bit version being that i need to do crazy stuff to get things like leisure suit larry 7 to work and useing the exe for KOTOR 1 in order to get KOTOR 2 to work

almak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By almak
    Vista stopped giving me grief at a certain point so now I'm perfectly fine with it.

@xenoNfluX:
    A thing of note when running Windows 7 as a primary OS is also that eventually it will expire instituting a very annoying DRM feature (restarting every 2 hours). Not saying that you shouldn't run it as such, just a heads up in case you didn't know. Its not for a good while though (a year'ish off at this point if I remember correctly) so should be fine for now.
    sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sdodd02

I haven't had any problems with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.