Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why the 2011 gaming platform of choice is the PC...

• 87 results
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OdinsThunder
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Alot of the games on there are multiplatform, but yeah, lot's of cool looking games coming out next year on PC.
    Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Popogeejo

Most of those are just rehashes or will be ported to the PS3 or 360. There are a few solid PC only games but nothing that will make it the defining platform of the year. Such a concept is actually pretty archaic these days actually.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    " Alot of the games on there are multiplatform, but yeah, lot's of cool looking games coming out next year on PC. "
    The only ones I know that are multi-platform are Torchlight II and The Witcher 2. What other games are there?
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Bones8677

Question. How am I suppose to play any of those games if I don't have $2,000 to spend on a new PC every year? 

jk

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OdinsThunder

@PeasantAbuse:
    Agreed, but the overall experience of these games will be vastly superior on PC, especially with 2011's big releases like Rage and Crysis 2. Don't get me wrong this gen's consoles have served me well, but I think they are becoming quite stale now and with no new consoles for another 3 - 5 years. I'd say to former PC gamers who couldn't previously justify gaming on a PC when X360/PS3 were more than good enough, now is an excellent time to revisit PC gaming. 

I think that list is missing Battlefield 3 hehe.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch13696
    @Popogeejo said:
    " Most of those are just rehashes or will be ported to the PS3 or 360. There are a few solid PC only games but nothing that will make it the defining platform of the year. Such a concept is actually pretty archaic these days actually. "
    Most of the ones they were showing were RTS's. And if memory serves correct, RTS's don't work very well on console.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @ch13696:
    If you scroll about halfway down, the list turns into multiplatform instead of exclusive, except for a few at the bottom that come out in 2012.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

This site has been posted several times before...

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Popogeejo said:
    " Most of those are just rehashes or will be ported to the PS3 or 360. There are a few solid PC only games but nothing that will make it the defining platform of the year. Such a concept is actually pretty archaic these days actually. "
    Most of the ones they were showing were RTS's. And if memory serves correct, RTS's don't work very well on console. "
    If you scroll down you'll find that the list is sorted into genres.
    Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Julmust

I didn't really find many of them interesting, but if you really like the PC I bet there is a lot to be excited about. But not all of them will be good, like with all yearly game line-ups.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Popogeejo
    @ch13696: Those would be the rehashes. Admittedly they're mostly good franchises but hardly anything new.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Geno

Guild Wars 2 alone will make PC gaming worthwhile. Alone I say!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

There was like one maybe two exclusive PC games on there that looked interesting...

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By poser

I don't like RTS.

Unless devs start making the PC as the lead platform for FPS,  PC gaming will never be mainstream ever again.... Which is a shame but the reality  

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " There was like one maybe two exclusive PC games on there that looked interesting... "
    I actually have to agree, nothing much exciting in the way of exclusives. Although, from the whole list I'm only looking forward to Dead Space and Portal anyway. I would definitely be excited about SWToR though - if I did MMOs...

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

PC is always the platform of choice. better graphics, controls, online, mods etc. Consoles aren't bad, just not as good.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jikla

Diablo 3, dungeon siege 3 and torchlight 2. NUFF SAID. Even though I'm a bit skeptic about a 2011 release for Diablo 3. Well the devs have said that you can play trough the game, so maybe q4 next year? 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Rockdalf
    @BeachThunder said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " There was like one maybe two exclusive PC games on there that looked interesting... "
    I actually have to agree, nothing much exciting in the way of exclusives. Although, from the whole list I'm only looking forward to Dead Space and Portal anyway. I would definitely be excited about SWToR though - if I did MMOs...
      "
    True, but there were more games if you include games that should be played on PC anyway.
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @poser said:

" I don't like RTS.  Unless devs start making the PC as the lead platform for FPS,  PC gaming will never be mainstream ever again.... Which is a shame but the reality   "

The PC is the lead platform for FPS, the console versions are inferior. 720p  and less than 30 fps stuttering jagfests lol. 

Bad Company 2 has more players on PC than 360 or PS3. Anyone considering buying the 2011 fps releases will be much better off on PC than console. 
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chrissedoff

oh a link thats nice *moves on*

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By Icemael

There are two exclusives on that list that interest me. Two. And one of them is an expansion pack.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By fripplebubby
    @OdinsThunder said:
    " @poser said:

" I don't like RTS.  Unless devs start making the PC as the lead platform for FPS,  PC gaming will never be mainstream ever again.... Which is a shame but the reality   "

The PC is the lead platform for FPS, the console versions are inferior. 720p  and less than 30 fps stuttering jagfests lol.  Bad Company 2 has more players on PC than 360 or PS3. Anyone considering buying the 2011 fps releases will be much better off on PC than console.  "
    No, the PC is the better platform. BFBC2 is just a console port, it was developed with the consoles in mind. The fact that it preforms better on PC is no surprise.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Romination

You're right. No other console will have any good games at all. Time to reinvest.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jrad

Dead State, Jagged Alliance 2/3, Shogun, and of course Subversion. I think those are the only games I'm looking forward to, really. Nothing better on consoles either. But man, Subversion. It's like Uplink, except instead of hacking into computers you're breaking into buildings. Just from the devlogs alone it looks incredible.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrPockets000

I was going to click the link, then I realized how much I didn't care.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By spazmaster666

More good games coming to the PC is always a good thing. And you don't need to spend $2000 for a decent gaming rig that can play most games at high settings.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic

too bad im a PC gamer who doesnt like RTS games.. cuz thats the only thing that list is showing off

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

Why have I not heard of Dead State before? I'm certainly interested.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Lol I know adrian werner, always into indie european games like adventure games over multiplatforms. We both don't like the mac. It's nice his blogs are important to pc gamers everywhere.

Anyways, about 2011 and pc gaming, right now the console world is a caricature of itself with motion controls and that's their way of squeesing every last life out of the console. Since most of us probally doesn't care about kinect, I suggest maybe you ppl start to build a gaming pc to make up the difference in graphics because now your going have casusal gamers that's the all singing, all dancing crap of the world as their next direction in gaming.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By yoshimitz707

LOL at DIablo 3 coming out next year.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Tordah

It's always a good time being a PC gamer.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By asurastrike

The reason I don't play PC games is that my 360 cost me $199, and a decent gaming PC would cost at least 5 times that. Until PC gaming gets a bit cheaper, it will never be my platform of choice.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By valrog

They make a list like that pretty much every year.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jack268

The only exclusive game on that list that I care about is Diablo 3. 

@OdinsThunder said:

" @poser said:

The PC is the lead platform for FPS, the console versions are inferior. 720p  and less than 30 fps stuttering jagfests lol.  Bad Company 2 has more players on PC than 360 or PS3. Anyone considering buying the 2011 fps releases will be much better off on PC than console.  "  
    MW2 sucked balls on PC because of the fucked up netcoding that had you trying to join matches for 10-20 minutes before getting into one. There are other reasons than graphics that a game can suck you know. 

Oh, and it ran at 60 fps on consoles. So it's not "720p less than 30 fps stuttering jagfest" at all.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Binman88

The fact that The Witcher 2 is coming out next year is reason enough to call the PC the platform of choice for 2011, for me at least. I couldn't give a fuck about any of the "lead platform" FPSes, to be honest, and even if I did, most of them have superior versions heading to the PC anyway. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RTS, The Sims, Diablo like hack and slash, MMO's and some shooters.

The only thing that interests me on that list is the Witcher 2, now that they're not even sure if it will make it to the consoles.
    If you like the genre's, its a great list, but my platform of choice will still be the gamecube/wii/xbox360.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By metal_mills
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    " Alot of the games on there are multiplatform, but yeah, lot's of cool looking games coming out next year on PC. "
    1080p/60fps/16x AA > 30fps/sub-HD/No AA

Really, as a person who plays both PC and console, it does make miles of difference. Especially after playing games that have sub 30fps.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ChickenPants

Bunch of screenshots aside, I hope it's a good year for the PC.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Enigma777

Talk about a depressing list.

The Lest Guardian alone demolishes all of those... and then you have Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3. Maybe GT5... I guess you can add Journey for the artsy-fartsy guys.

The only game that honestly can compete is Diablo 3 , but we all know that's not coming out next year (and maybe Shogun 2 but who the hell even cares about RTS games anymore).

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gizmo

PC has ALWAYS been the platform of choice, but the barrier for entry is far greater, but some would say it is worth the risk.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Branthog

It's basically a list of deep RPGs, RTSes, and MMORPGs. Not really a surprise. The interface and screen resolution makes for a superior experience. 

Then there are a few FPS possibilities. Not a lot, but they exist. I've grown up and come to realize that as much as I was weened on WASD+MOUSE for my entire life, that isn't always the de-facto place to experience it. If you can wrap your head around a console controller (which took me some time and I thought I would never be able to do), then a lot of games just seem like a better experience on console. 

For example, I wouldn't even think of playing Counter-Strike or Battlefield 3 on a console. I'd only play it on my computer, where I can have a mouse and keyboard and my pair of 30" screens running in 2560x1600 each. 

But COD, MW, and and Bad Company? I wouldn't dream of playing those on the PC anymore. First, the design priority is centered around making it a great console experience. Second, the balancing is all centered around making it a great console experience. Third, I can enjoy my 65" screen and my $25,000 B&W audio system while playing from the comfort of a giant 8' bean bag, instead of hunching over a mouse and keyboard for 10-30 hours a week outside of the 50-80hrs per week I already have to hunch over a mouse and keyboard to make a living. 

I've come to accept that my preferred platform is no longer the apple of anyone's eye. I resent it, but . . . I can't do a whole lot about it. What I *can* do is play the games that will be the greatest experience for it and for which it is absolutely superior for on it (MMORPS, deep RPGs, RTS, the occasional FPS) and I can power on the PS3 or 360 for the other stuff.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Branthog: Imagine if you played a pc game, with that 65" hdtv, with a console controller with your home theather surround sound? Problem solved.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jimbo

The Witcher 2 looks so fucking good.  Guild Wars 2 looks like it might be worth paying attention to. 

2011 is shaping up to be a great year for gaming regardless of platform.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shirogane
    @Enigma777 said:
    "Talk about a depressing list. The Lest Guardian alone demolishes all of those... and then you have Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3. Maybe GT5... I guess you can add Journey for the artsy-fartsy guys.  The only game that honestly can compete is Diablo 3 , but we all know that's not coming out next year (and maybe Shogun 2 but who the hell even cares about RTS games anymore). "

Heh, i think a lot of people would argue that point... 

That game has a whole bunch of stuff that i didn't even know existed until now. Pretty awesome stuff too. 
    Heros VI? Dungeon Keeper spiritual successor? 

Oh man, Subversion...i want to see what that thing is, all the games from those guys have been totally insane.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FirePrince

You just reminded me how many awesome games are coming out this year.

And that I have a PC that supports most of them.Yay!

anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By anterline

PC gaming is too damn expensive and too complex. Most people just want to insert the game and play it.

VipeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By VipeR

PC gaming expensive? Sure, can be if you want it to be, but you can play on PC's that are cheaper than consoles.

PC gaming too complex? No way, ever used steam? It's about the easiest way to play games, you only have to double click on the game to install and play. You don't even have to change any settings, games today adjust according to your hardware.

PC gaming dying? No way, see list.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShockD

For most, it would be because of Diablo III. I myself think it's a matter of personal preference, not particular year. The PC has been my platform of choice for years.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Meowshi

Do you guys really think these games are exciting?  

Really?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.