Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Randy Pitchford

Person » credited in 15 games

President and CEO of Gearbox Software.

Randy Pitchford wishes he could make a game half as good as Valve

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Whisperkill

Honestly the more I hear coming out of this guy's mouth the more he sounds like an idiot. I mean, where is he even coming from. How can someone who hasn't made a game anywhere near the quality of a Valve game yell at the company that made him.

Kind of an asshole. 

Edit: This is in regards to him talking about Valve acting like fanboys against the PS3 and how their involvement with steam is exploiting publishers.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ieatlions

Ive enjoyed borderlands more than ive enjoyed the two valve games iv played.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Randy Pitchford is more of a fucking man than you will ever be, Mr. Whisperkill. His words are orgasmic.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jimbo

wat

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Jimbo said:
    " wat "
    I, too, am confused.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Winternet

Where can we find these statements?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By sjschmidt93

Why does complementing a video game company make you an asshole?

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HayFourZee

I dont see how hes insulting valve by saying that.

InsanePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InsanePotato

Maybe if Randys company had a PR department that actually communicated with the 1000's of annoyed and frustrated PC players of borderlands i'd find it easier to not knock him. But Borderlands desperately needs patching, no gamespy, no rediculous need for port forwarding which doesn't seem to have 100% success rate, a fixed menu system for the PC that is a direct console rip and which doesn't require editing of config files for exceptionally simple stuff (vsync, push to talk mic, aiming and crouching toggles, mouse smoothing)  and numerous other bugs and glitches fixed (watching a hunter use 100 of those birds at once completing unbalancing the game is annoying as hell).
    It's a shame because i really WANT to love this game. They're making it bloody hard though!

Randy needs to stfu and stop dissing on people like Gabe Newell and Steam. Gabe's ongoing comments about the PS3 probably aren't wise but the man is still in a total other class of developers than Randy.

Edit: PC Forums if you need a nice example of the ongoing chaos of this unpolished port.
     http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Whisperkill

I edited to make my statement clearer.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
    deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He called Valve childish in their arguments not to put out L4D2 on PS3
    Source 

He also earlier said that Valves close relationship with Steam was a conflict of interest.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond

I hated Randy in the past, but lately his comments are making me like him.  He's stirring up the bees nest by disturbing the status quo and making people question themselves.  Problem is most people are idiots, and both developers and fans are jumping down his throat time and time again.  He might not be 100% right on his points, but he's making some interesting discussion.  Problem once again is, people don't want to destroy their fragile worldviews by contemplating the points he's raising.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By demonbear

Valve fanboy alert.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Bwast
    @InsanePotato said:
    " Maybe if Randys company had a PR department that actually communicated with the 1000's of annoyed and frustrated PC players of borderlands i'd find it easier to not knock him. But Borderlands desperately needs patching, no gamespy, no rediculous need for port forwarding which doesn't seem to have 100% success rate, a fixed menu system for the PC that is a direct console rip and which doesn't require editing of config files for exceptionally simple stuff (vsync, push to talk mic, aiming and crouching toggles, mouse smoothing)  and numerous other bugs and glitches fixed (watching a hunter use 100 of those birds at once completing unbalancing the game is annoying as hell).It's a shame because i really WANT to love this game. They're making it bloody hard though!   Randy needs to stfu and stop dissing on people like Gabe Newell and Steam. Gabe's ongoing comments about the PS3 probably aren't wise but the man is still in a total other class of developers than Randy.Edit: PC Forums if you need a nice example of the ongoing chaos of this unpolished port.  http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93 "
    This.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kashif1
    @demonbear said:
    " Valve fanboy alert. "
    QFT
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski

MAINSTREAM'D !!!

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By roofy

socially i enjoyed borderlands more than L4D.

Ironknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ironknight

Well Randy is right in a way Valve is very fanboyish they could have just said we are not developing for the ps3 and be done with it. Also Valves close relationship to steam is a conflict of interest. So I don't see a problem valve does make good games but there quite overrated

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By djstyles92

Randy Pitchford is a sexy man, therefore your argument is invalid

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @Ironknight:
    I agree with you completely. It's quite annoying seeing random press releases from Valve on how they're not developing for the ps3. I would imagine Gabe's previous job at Microsoft led to that deep seated bias. But, I guess since Valve found a way to make DRM easily digestable(Steam), companies avoid from biting the hand that feed.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Red

Valve is an incredible developer. They just aren't that good at being incredible every year or two.  

Also: their lack of a PS3 development team comes across more as lazy than as fanboys.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Whisperkill said:
    " Honestly the more I hear coming out of this guy's mouth the more he sounds like an idiot. I mean, where is he even coming from. How can someone who hasn't made a game anywhere near the quality of a Valve game yell at the company that made him."
    What does the quality of their respective games have to do with his statements? 
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Ironknight said:
    " Well Randy is right in a way Valve is very fanboyish they could have just said we are not developing for the ps3 and be done with it. Also Valves close relationship to steam is a conflict of interest. So I don't see a problem valve does make good games but there quite overrated "
    Why can't Valve have a close relation with Steam? THEY MADE STEAM!
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bubahula
    @djstyles92 said:
    "Randy Pitchford is a sexy man, therefore your argument is invalid "
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Adamantium

He's right.

Borderlands is great fun, too.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By demontium
    @Whisperkill: I hope you get grounded or something bad happens to you. 

Randy is a genius, and Borderlands is about par with the enjoyment I got out of TF2..... 

He is just being humble. 

And BLands is selling most on the Xbox so Valve did not make him. 

And where did you get this info?
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Absurd
    @InsanePotato: :o I had a ton of fun with the PC version of Borderlands.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By buzz_killington

Well he is right. They keep bashing the PS3 hardware for no good reason. There are tonnes of developers making superb games on the PS3, and only cause Valve cannot figure out how to do it, doesn't mean that there is a fault with the hardware.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeffsekai

Oh man, too bad Borderlands is better than anything Valve has put out in the last year.

Ironknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ironknight
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Ironknight said:
    " Well Randy is right in a way Valve is very fanboyish they could have just said we are not developing for the ps3 and be done with it. Also Valves close relationship to steam is a conflict of interest. So I don't see a problem valve does make good games but there quite overrated "
    Why can't Valve have a close relation with Steam? THEY MADE STEAM! "
    I'm not saying that its wrong for them to have a close relationship but it is a conflict of interest. 
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By azteris

Randy Pitchford has made some intelligent points on why it's bad that the distribution service for most games has a vested interest in certain games doing well.

Gabe Newell acts like a man child because no one calls him out on it. Just because you helped make Half-Life doesn't mean you get to throw hissy fits publicly. He shouldn't be given all the press he is given, but then you have all these sites trying to be 'comprehensive' or just trying to incite page views through inflamatory stories. 

This doesn't even begin to talk about the fanboy style of thinking that also enables him. Making a good game does not mean you have to revere these people.

EDIT: Grammar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think I enjoy Borderlands more then anything since the Orange Box.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By JoelTGM

I like Valve and I like Randy Pitchford, and the fact he has an opinion about Valve doesn't change anything.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Knives
    @Jeffsekai said:

" Oh man, too bad Borderlands is better than anything Valve has put out in the last year. "

Valve has only put out one game in the last year. Why not just say "too bad Borderlands is better than Left 4 Dead"?
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Knives
    @Ironknight said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Ironknight said:
    Why can't Valve have a close relation with Steam? THEY MADE STEAM! "
    I'm not saying that its wrong for them to have a close relationship but it is a conflict of interest.  "
    I don't see how it's a conflict of interest. The more people using Steam the better, whether it be for Valve games or someone else.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordukai

The excuses are wearing thin (which is kinda ironic since Gabe is doing the exact opposite). First it was hardware, then lack of people, then lack of money and now because Valve thinks the PSN community is not good enough for them. I mean seriously. I would have much more respect for them if they just came out and said that they just don't want to work on the ps3 because they just don't fucking want to do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Mordukai said:
    " The excuses are wearing thin (which is kinda ironic since Gabe is doing the exact opposite). First it was hardware, then lack of people, then lack of money and now because Valve thinks the PSN community is not good enough for them. I mean seriously. I would have much more respect for them if they just came out and said that they just don't want to work on the ps3 because they just don't fucking want to do it. "
    Plus now if they work with the PS3 in the future with all the shit they said who will want to buy the product, it could just as well be a lazy Orange Box port again.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FCKSNAP
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By azteris

I don't see why the games they made have to be representative of their character as people. Randy Pitchford is looking out for the consumer by drawing attention to conflicting interests. Gabe Newell whines about difficulty doing his job.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@diamond said:

I hated Randy in the past, but lately his comments are making me like him. He's stirring up the bees nest by disturbing the status quo and making people question themselves. Problem is most people are idiots, and both developers and fans are jumping down his throat time and time again. He might not be 100% right on his points, but he's making some interesting discussion. Problem once again is, people don't want to destroy their fragile worldviews by contemplating the points he's raising.

Well Randy is right in a way Valve is very fanboyish they could have just said we are not developing for the ps3 and be done with it. Also Valves close relationship to steam is a conflict of interest. So I don't see a problem valve does make good games but there quite overrated

You might not have noticed but you just replied to a post that was almost ten years old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.