Best Romance in a Video Game?

• 102 results
#1 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

So what do you guys think is the most well done romance in video games? Not necessarily the best game with romance in it but simply the best love story in video games.

For me I think I would have to choose one of the Final Fantasy games. I personally got drawn into the love story in 10 but that's just me.

Although I think video games have a lot of catching up to do before their as good as love stories in other mediums but I also think they have a lot of potential and could be better than those in other mediums.

So what are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

The Lloyde + whatshername relationship from Tales of Symphonia comes to mind.

#3 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Final Fantasy VIII. I mean, that was the whole point, right?

#4 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Final Fantasy VIII. I mean, that was the whole point, right?"
agreed
#5 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

gears of war. oh wait, i meant halo.

#6 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

Definitely when you choose to have sex with filthy whores in the slums of Vizima in The Witcher. Hot.

#7 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -
suneku said:
"Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Final Fantasy VIII. I mean, that was the whole point, right?"
agreed"
Final Fantasy X got close, but Final Fantasy VIII's logo is of Squall and Rinoa embracing each other. <sarcasm> How subtle of Square! </sarcasm>
#8 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

Final Fantasy X, no question.

#9 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

House of the Dead 2

#10 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

I didn't care for any of the romance in the FF games. Yuna and Tidus' relationship in FFX sucks, Zidane and the dull princess' relationship in FF9 sucks. Squall and the overrated Rinoa's relationship sucks.

I'd say Max and Mona's romance in Max Payne 2 was great. While Snake and EVA's romance in MGS3: Snake Eater isn't too far behind. This just reminds me that romance is almost never good in games.

#11 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

You do know that at least one troll will come in here and spam "SONICXAMY 4EVAR ZOMG" don't you? 

Anyways, my answer would be, Snake X Eva, yes it was short lived, but it was really great while it lasted.

#12 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Recently, I would say Prince of Persia. 

#13 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" You do know that at least one troll will come in here and spam "SONICXAMY 4EVAR ZOMG" don't you?  Anyways, my answer would be, Snake X Eva, yes it was short lived, but it was really great while it lasted. "
SONICXAMY 4*gets shot*
#14 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -
@sgjackson said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:
" You do know that at least one troll will come in here and spam "SONICXAMY 4EVAR ZOMG" don't you?  Anyways, my answer would be, Snake X Eva, yes it was short lived, but it was really great while it lasted. "
SONICXAMY 4*gets shot* "
*Shoots you again just to make sure*.
#15 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Both Final Fantasy VIII and X got the romance part done fairly competently.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

and then somebody, without even reading what you folks said and whether its still relevant today or not, just goes 

WAi 2 GO BUMPINGZ A 9 MONT OLD THREDZ !

#17 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Final Fantasy X.

#18 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: /facepalm 

Why does bumping it matter? It still has relevence.
#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Emandudeguyperson: i take it that you only read the words in big font ?  

the point of what i said IS to critisize the people who whine about bumps
#20 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Oh, I see, my bad, sarcasm doesn't come across well on the net.
#21 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Emandudeguyperson: i take it that you only read the words in big font ?   the point of what i said IS to critisize the people who whine about bumps "
There isn't anything wrong with bumping certain threads (like this one).  But sometimes people bump threads to answer someone's question long past the point where it would have been useful to them. 
#22 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Emandudeguyperson: i take it that you only read the words in big font ?   the point of what i said IS to critisize the people who whine about bumps "
There isn't anything wrong with bumping certain threads (like this one).  But sometimes people bump threads to answer someone's question long past the point where it would have been useful to them.  "
thats what im saying, theres always someone blaming the old-thread bumps even if they make sense and are totally relevant, which shouldnt happen
#23 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

Alyx Vance's implied feeling for Gordon Freeman.  It's all in the subtleties.

#24 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Weighted Companion Cube

#25 Posted by Jeust (10548 posts) -

Bastila from KOTOR...   

It's great and really soothing to the ego.

#26 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

Charlie and Mysterious Fox?

#27 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

Almost every Final fantasy game to date

#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" Recently, I would say Prince of Persia.  "
This or Uncharted.
#29 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Rios and Salem in Army of Two.

#30 Posted by Goly (843 posts) -
@gunswordfist: i agree that love stories in videogames usually aren't very good. But yeah the Sax/Payne duo was so badass. God I've got to play that game again, well, THOSE games because MP 1 was pretty cool too although not as epic and polished as MP 2.
#31 Edited by h83r (468 posts) -

The Boy and his Blob. There is a dedicated HUG button! Does any other game mentioned have that feature?

Seriously though, Drake and Elena - Uncharted 2.

#32 Edited by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Elena and Nathan, Uncharted series

#33 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:
" Alyx Vance's implied feeling for Gordon Freeman.  It's all in the subtleties. "
Fucking this. Damn, that relationship made my day. Or.. well.. something like that, anyway. 

Also Lucas/Tiffany in Indigo Prophecy and Jackie/Jenny in The Darkness. Mostly because they were so damn cute, and the way it ended always made me cry like a little girl. Damn.
#34 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

companion cube and the character from portel

#35 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Character from Portal and Glados. 

#36 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

The Bee and the Sunflower from Conkers Bad Fur day.

#37 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

Sora and Riku.

#38 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

Good call on the characters from The Darkness.  I don't know how I forgot that one.

#39 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -
@RaikohBlade: I think you mean Kair- OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE
#40 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -
@MrCellophane: Jackie/Jenny in The Darkness is also a good one...except if you look at the fact that in the comics, it wasn't like that at all.  As a matter of fact, Jenny was in love with Jackie and Jackie was like "dood, seriously, you are like my sister, we grew up in an orphanage together" and she was like "so, I'll fuck my brother" and he was like "WHOOOOOOA!"... 

...and then he knocked up Sara the Witchblade. 

But it was still good in the video game.
#41 Posted by Kazona (3064 posts) -

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. They did a great job with the romance in that one. And I found myself getting really giddy when Farah was back in Two Thrones. 

Also, I kind of liked the romance in GTA IV, between Niko and Kate. Made me feel like there was hope for him after all, despite all the shit he does. But of course Rockstar had to burst that bubble. Bastards. 

My favorite romance, though, is a tie between KoToR and FFVIII.

#42 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

Mario Bros

#43 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -
@Aaox: Yup. Oh, and I forgot P4 protagonist and Naoto. Yeah, I know all of you Naoto haters out there, but you guys don't know shit. Naoto is amazing. She has such a cute tomboy hairstyle. She has the largest bust size out of the whole female cast. She tries to be tough when she is a softy inside. And I just love it when she blushes. IT HAS TO BE THE CANON RELATIONSHIP!!!!!! Uh oh, fascination with the virtual has exceeded 9000. Danger alert, everybody.
#44 Edited by Aaox (1657 posts) -
@RaikohBlade: Well, I was/am the same with Yukari Takeba from 3. I want her to be real. BUT SHE ISN'T.  
*Cries* 
Also, Danger Alert has now been doubled. 
EDIT: I mean *cough* the protagonist *cough* and Yukari. I mean, cause she's a video game character, right?! HEH. Heh. 
*Cries*
#45 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -
@Aaox: Yukari was my favorite from P3 as well. Sort of like the lesser of 3 evils. Fuuka was too ugly and Mitsuru was too uptight. But I have to say, Yukari was damn bitch at times. But at least she was cute.
#46 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -
@Thrawn said:
" gears of war. oh wait, i meant halo. "
While obviously meant as sarcasm..  I actually think the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana was very well done, although not exactly in a typical "romance" sort of way, I think that's what helped it.  There was a lot of trust and familiarity and it felt natural.
#47 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -
@RaikohBlade: She was, but only really in The Answer. And that was just because she missed me- I MEAN THE PROTAGONIST. 
MINATO. Whatever. And Fuuka's voice actor really messed up any chances of an S link with her, and Mitsuru's S link took place too late in the game for me to invest much time in it. I'm probably going to finish the game at least once more this year; Maybe I'll try Mitsuru this time. God, I sound like a pervert. 
nooo yukari come back
#48 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Ben and Mo of Full Throttle. 

If it exists, it is subtle as hell and masterfully written.

#49 Posted by Wes899 (2108 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:
" Alyx Vance's implied feeling for Gordon Freeman.  It's all in the subtleties. "
#50 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -
@Aaox said:
" @RaikohBlade: She was, but only really in The Answer. And that was just because she missed me- I MEAN THE PROTAGONIST. MINATO. Whatever. And Fuuka's voice actor really messed up any chances of an S link with her, and Mitsuru's S link took place too late in the game for me to invest much time in it. I'm probably going to finish the game at least once more this year; Maybe I'll try Mitsuru this time. God, I sound like a pervert. nooo yukari come back "
I was way too lazy to play through The Answer, as it is just a glorified dungeon the whole way through. Yeah, go for Mitsuru, make sure to score well on those exams to win her favor. Remember, she only sleeps with smart guys. And don't worry, you can have Yukari too...if you can keep it a secret.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.