The Spear of Destiny wiki last edited by Deusoma on 06/10/14 07:02PM
View full history
Spear of Destiny is a first-person shooter developed by id and published by FormGen on September 18, 1992 for the PC (running MS-DOS). A standalone expansion of Wolfenstein 3-D, Spear of Destiny consists of a single 21-level episode (ranging from rocky tunnels and dungeons to an old castle), featuring four new deadly bosses, new music, new wall textures, and a new item (the Ammo Box, which supplies 25 ammo as opposed to 4 or 8).
Set in World War II, before the events of Wolfenstein 3D, players reprise the role of Allied spy William "B.J." Blazkowicz as he must infiltrate a Nazi installation to recover the "Spear of Destiny" (the Holy Lance, which was used to pierce the side of Jesus Christ as he hung on the cross). The artifact is well-guarded, however, as it is believed by Adolf Hitler that by possessing it, he and his armies become invincible.
Unlike the predecessor, Spear of Destiny is not distributed in shareware format. Instead, the game was sold in retail (via floppy disk format), while a two-level playable demo was distributed. Two years after the game was published, FormGen developed and published two new "episodes". These episodes, Mission 2: Return to Danger and Mission 3: Ultimate Challenge were first sold under the title "Spear of Destiny Mission Add-On Packs" and was soon bundled with the original Spear of Destiny in CD form. Despite the episodes containing new levels and graphics, their existence was barely known. Although id Software did not develop these add-on packs, they bundled them with later re-releases of Spear of Destiny, including the version available on Steam.
While the game contains no new standard enemies, it does contain five new bosses:
- Trans Grosse - Boss of the first set of levels ("Tunnels"). Brother of Hans Grosse and carries dual chainguns.
- Barnacle Wilhelm - Boss of the second set of levels ("Dungeons"). Carries both a chaingun and a missile launcher.
- UberMutant - Boss of the third set of levels ("Castle"). A giant form of the mutant enemy, carries four cleavers and has a giant chaingun on its chest.
- Death Knight - Boss of the last set of levels ("Ramparts"). Carries dual chainguns and twin shoulder-mounted missile launchers.
- Angel of Death - Final boss, encountered after defeating the Death Knight and collecting the Spear. The demonic guardian of the Spear of Destiny, the "Angel" can attack with fireballs or vicious claws.