What was the First Game You Bought on Steam?

#1 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I was looking at my Steam library the other day, and got to wondering, with this basically being a list of every PC game I've purchased in the last 5 years or so...which one was the first?

I'm pretty sure in my case, it was Bioshock. I had really been looking forward to it, but for some reason, the Best Buy near me had sold out, so I decided to give Steam a try. It wasn't my first digital-only game, I'd purchased Neverwinter Nights 2 via Direct2Drive, and had been really unimpressed (can't remember why), but was actually really blown away by how fast and easy Steam was. I don't think I've bought a boxed copy of a game since then.

What's the first game you guys bought on Steam?

#2 Edited by Shivoa (643 posts) -

I'm going to bet my answer is also going to be, by far, the most common: HL2.

#3 Posted by IroN1c (549 posts) -

Registered? Half-Life 1. Actually bought on the Steam Shop front? Day of Defeat Source Pre-Order.

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
#5 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

First game I ever bought using the Steam store was Braid. Otherwise, Half-Life 2.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

Half-life 2 was the first Steam game I purchased, but I bought that at retail and activated it on Steam. The first game I actually purchased on Steam itself was Geometry Wars.

#7 Edited by wemibelec90 (1806 posts) -

I'm pretty sure mine is Half-Life 2 as well. First thing I bought when I built my own computer at 16 too. I had already played it but wanted to see the PC version in action.

#8 Edited by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

You can actually see the first game that entered your library, in the upper right corner of your library is a button that says "[user]'s account". In the dropdown menu click account details, and scroll down to the very bottom and your first game should be the first one on the list.

Answer for me is Half-Life 1 during the 10th anniversary sale where it was $0.99.

#9 Posted by Bane122 (808 posts) -

AVP Classic 2000 three or four years ago when it was first released on he service.

#10 Edited by Franstone (1149 posts) -

Good question, have no idea...

Can't even remember when Steam first started, like 2004? 2005?

I got HL2 free from buying a Radeon card way back then, maybe that was my first DL through Steam.

I have HL1 but I know that was a boxed copy before Steam.

hmm...

Ah, thanks @c0l0nelp0c0rn1

ATI Bundle - Complimentary

HL2 Silver - Complimentary

HL2: Episode One - Complimentary

Left 4 Dead 2 - Retail

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl - Steam Store

Looks like Stalker wins for official first purchase.

#11 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Counter Strike: Source was the first thing I had on Steam (bought a boxed copy.) I'm not sure what the first thing I actually purchased through steam was. Maybe Half-Life 2.

#12 Posted by Catarrhal (849 posts) -

The first and only game I've bought on Steam is VVVVVV. Cool game, and my machine doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play anything else, really.

#13 Posted by joseffthered (85 posts) -

Apparently it was Darwinia... I did not expect that.

#14 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

I registered my hl, cs, op, bs, tf pack during the beta. other than that, HL2.

#15 Posted by Redsox44 (485 posts) -

Checked my account history and it was The Witcher 2, then I want a crazy spree during the steam sale.

#16 Posted by DarkShaper (1347 posts) -

Lost Planet, no I am not kidding.

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

Mass Effect, for €2, almost 4 years ago. I knew about Steam before making my first purchase, but I never cared about it enough to try it out.

Fastforward to 2012 and I have 224 games registered to date.

#18 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

It says Bioshock but I think I bought Bioshock, Borderlands, and The Orange Box at the same time.

#19 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

i was one of those that couldn't play HL2 on day one because steam fucked up couldn't activate the game. so my first experience was a little tainted.

#20 Posted by SomeJerk (3362 posts) -

"Member since: September 12, 2003"

Half-Life 2 I would think. Steam doesn't list anything earlier than 2008 in my history?

#21 Posted by 71Ranchero (2796 posts) -
#22 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

My first Steam game was actually an indie bundle that contained BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Nightsky, NyxQuest, Swords & Soliders HD, and World of Goo.

If you mean individual game, then that would be Metro 2033.

#23 Posted by Aronman789 (2694 posts) -

Portal was the first game I got on Steam, didn't buy it though, it was free for a couple days and I decided to register and take it.

#24 Posted by GnomeonFire (777 posts) -

Portal, but that was when it was free.

#25 Posted by altngr (50 posts) -

I signed up for steam after buying HL2 GOTY (HL2 + E1 + CS:S), but the first thing I actually bought was the complete Tales of Monkey Island pack, on sale if I remember correctly.

#26 Posted by Bollard (5762 posts) -

Technically it was Half Life 2, but that was just so I could play Gmod.

#27 Posted by 49th (2818 posts) -

Braid. Didn't have a HD console at the time and was interested

#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I still haven't bought anything on Steam.

#29 Posted by Danteveli (1210 posts) -

Left 4 Dead 2 was the first game I have purchased on steam. Previously only retail titles that activated there.

#30 Edited by predator (357 posts) -

I registered a boxed copy of Half-Life Generation (the version without Blue Shift) at the end of 2003.

Each games product key would give you a Steam account with all Half-Life games, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Deathmatch Classic, Day of Defeat and Ricochet unlocked.

I remember it crashing a lot and I went back to WON.

#31 Posted by theManUnknown (185 posts) -

I distinctly recall I was given Counter Strike: Source for Christmas one year, and that is what got me to install Steam. My first purchase through the service was TF2 a year or so later after I participated in the free weekend held after the goldrush update.

#32 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Condition Zero, weird.

#33 Posted by Rincewind (258 posts) -

Counter Strike

#34 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe Edition

#35 Posted by joey (986 posts) -

Bought: Binding of Isaac

#36 Posted by Nev (558 posts) -

Bought: Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe

#37 Posted by Brenderous (1107 posts) -

Probably whatever the first one was.

#38 Posted by BurningHunter (59 posts) -

I bought a copy of The Orange Box in 2009, which meant I was forced to use Steam. I guess that counts? If it doesn't, the first game I actually bought on Steam was Jade Empire: Special Edition.

#39 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I think I bought a box with half life, blue shift, the other one and counter strike in it.

If that counts?

#40 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (473 posts) -

when I look at my details at the bottom of the list I have steam itself, and the Orange Box, and then World of Goo. since TOB was a retail game I bought (which I believe is what finally made me install Steam, I used to be very against digital distribution but have laxed somewhat) I guess World of Goo gets the honor of first game purchased through steam for me :)

#41 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

Orange Box

#42 Posted by bananaz (259 posts) -

@Shivoa said:

I'm going to bet my answer is also going to be, by far, the most common: HL2.

+1

I mean, of course. Steam used to be this weird thing that Half Life 2 made you do.

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#44 Posted by clovy (170 posts) -

left for dead 2 for like 5 bucks during a holiday sale like 5 years ago

#46 Posted by Tomzombie (400 posts) -

Audio Surf i was very skeptical of Steam for like 7 years then i bought a game then i realized its not that bad and a eazy to use system

#47 Posted by Schmollian (268 posts) -

Half-Life 2

I remember being pretty unsure about the whole "steam" thing. Seems to have turned out well enough.

#48 Posted by zolloz89 (254 posts) -

My current account is Left 4 Dead. Somewhere down the line I had another account that that had Counterstrike Condition Zero as the first. I couldn't recover it for some reason.

#49 Posted by GiroMindTricks (64 posts) -

Bought Dawn of War II at retail which made me install steam, and the rest is history.

#50 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

@Silvergun: I think it was probably Alpha Protocol and Company of Heroes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.