What was the First Game You Bought on Steam?

#151 Posted by HiCZoK (240 posts) -

DUke Nukem Forever. yes, I DID IT

#152 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

Psychonauts, when it was on sale for $2. I now have 141 games on my account. :/

#153 Posted by s10129107 (1182 posts) -

I got HL2 as a gift, so i'm not sure if that counts. Apart from that i'm guessing Mass Effect.

#154 Posted by Atlas (2435 posts) -

Yeah like most in this thread the first game I ever purchased that required Steam on my PC was Half-Life 2. I would probably guess that the first game I ever bought in the Steam store was World of Goo, which to this day I have never beaten despite enjoying many of the levels I played through.

#155 Posted by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Left 4 Dead was my first

Amnesia: The Dark Descent was my last

#156 Posted by sasnipes (109 posts) -

Mine was Psychonauts if you don't include the Orange Box that started it all. Actually, I had HL2 way before the Orange Box, but didn't realize you could gift extra copies so I gave my old steam account to a friend and started a new one with the Orange Box. Owell, I think after more than 140 games its a bit too late to trade accounts back :P

#157 Posted by Brians (1460 posts) -
@mandude

First game I ever bought using the Steam store was Braid. Otherwise, Half-Life 2.

Deus Ex
#158 Posted by Xymox (2077 posts) -

Magicka, because I bought boxed copies of all the HL stuff and around the time I got Magicka was when I went fully digital. Haven't bought a boxed game since.

#159 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

team fortress 2 for 10 bucks. two weeks before it became free to play

#160 Posted by Ezakael (930 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition was my first purchase I believe.

#161 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
#162 Posted by Jnal (214 posts) -

Space Empire IV. Don't judge. Rome: Total War was my second. I bought Half-Life 2 a long time afterwards.

#163 Posted by HarlechQuinn (447 posts) -
#164 Edited by audioBusting (1495 posts) -

I had my free Steam Account for quite a while to play the free games (Alien Swarm, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch), but I finally gave in when Super Meat Boy was $5 on the 2010 Christmas Sale. And then I added The Orange Box, and some indie packs, and the games kept piling onto my cart...

Edit: Oops, SMB was $3.75, not $5.

#165 Posted by lexyz123 (17 posts) -

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

#166 Posted by TheJakeOfSteak (1 posts) -

My first game was Left 4 Dead 2

#167 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1593 posts) -

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Retail (Inter) ... heh, weird ... would have thought it was some valve game.

#168 Posted by xXHesekielXx (238 posts) -

The original Portal... If I'm remembering right...

#169 Posted by ajamafalous (11943 posts) -

First registered: Orange Box
First purchased: UT3

#171 Posted by civid (404 posts) -

I got Steam together with Half-Life 2 and the internet.

#172 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3160 posts) -

Half Life 2 with the creation of my steam account back in 04-05'. After that I think I entered my product key for Half Life 1 which gave me the Team Fortress mod, Blue Shift, Counter Strike mod, and I think Day of Defeat. Remember my mind was flabber gasted by all the cool mods that were with HL 1 as I really didn't follow the mod scene back in the day. In terms of purchases gotta remember steam was pretty iffy back in those days and digital purchases wasn't seen as really viable. I think my first actual purchase might of been Half Life episode 1.

#173 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

Hitman: Blood Money, according to my purchase history.

Before that I also redeemed Portal and bought the Valve complete pack but they don't really count.

#174 Posted by Loafsmooch (348 posts) -

Not counting the complimentary Half-Life platinum pack, AvP Classic 2000 was the first one, followed by Deus Ex: GoTY Edition. Both of those games I had already played and loved, due to teenage pirating, but I guess I felt that they deserved a proper purchase once I started making some moneyzz.

#175 Posted by EdgarAllenPoe69 (34 posts) -

Kerbal Space Program.

#176 Edited by CorruptedEvil (2397 posts) -

I redeemed Portal and TF2 but the first game I bought from the Steam interface was KotOR.

This was in 09 since after the death of the CRPG I moved to consoles.

#177 Posted by Darkstalker (871 posts) -

Counter strike was first registered and like everyone at the time I wasn't happy about it.

Max Payne was first purchased apparently

#178 Posted by fisk0 (3999 posts) -
#179 Edited by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

Audiosurf. Jeff kept bringing it up (with good reason) in the site's early days, so I had to see what it and this "Steam" thing were all about.

#180 Edited by xite (836 posts) -

Day of Defeat: Source and Garry's Mod

#181 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

The first game I had on Steam was when I redeemed Empire: Total War. The first game I actually bought was Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

#182 Posted by SaFt (382 posts) -

Like most people, probably, i'd already purchased physical copies of both HL2 and DOD:S. The first game i actually bought in the steam store was Left 4 Dead.

#183 Posted by Shindig (203 posts) -

Purchased: Fez.

#184 Posted by desoda (106 posts) -

Commander Keen complete pack

#185 Posted by TheAcidSkull (327 posts) -

The Walking dead or the Wolf among Us. But ONLY because It's a point and click game.

#186 Posted by SgtSphynx (1338 posts) -

@shivoa said:

I'm going to bet my answer is also going to be, by far, the most common: HL2.

Yep, the reason Steam was originally installed on a computer I owned.

#187 Posted by Bamsen (341 posts) -

activated steam with HL2 in 05, but my first purchase was actually HL2 Episode 2

#188 Posted by TheFakePsychic (191 posts) -

Audiosurf.

#189 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

A retail copy of Left 4 Dead is the first thing that I registered on Steam. The first thing that I bought through the Steam client was the Far Cry Complete pack, which (at the time) included Far Cry 1, 2, and any DLC.

#190 Edited by BoOzak (902 posts) -

@sgtsphynx said:

@shivoa said:

I'm going to bet my answer is also going to be, by far, the most common: HL2.

Yep, the reason Steam was originally installed on a computer I owned.

Same, except it was more like 'forced to play on Steam' instead of 'the first game I bought on Steam' I think The Orange Box may have been first game I bought on Steam. (£25 for HL2, HL2:E1, HL2:E2, Portal, TFT2 & Peggle EX: Orange Box Edition! how times have changed...)

#191 Posted by Sumbog (483 posts) -

I just checked my account, Morrowind Game of the Year edition.

#192 Edited by Tyrrael (183 posts) -

Bought: Osmos ---- I know this one is kind of strange. I actually remember my friend playing this and it looked interesting, so I ended up getting on a steam sale for $2. Right after that (literally 3 days later), I bought the phenomenal ARPG known as Torchlight.

#193 Posted by BeardyDuck (82 posts) -

Original Half-Life because Valve was moving the CS servers from WON to Steam. Still have my 2003 account.

#194 Edited by Nodima (1160 posts) -

Civilization IV when I realized my Mac could run it. I also bought Civ V, but my Mac (2008) can't run it very well. That's all, because I own a Mac.

#195 Posted by Pr1mus (3858 posts) -

The source premier pack, which don't exist anymore. A bundle that included Half-Life 2, HL2 EP1, HL2 Deathmatch, Counter-Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source and Half-Life Source.

#196 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

Half-Life 2 - Episode One

#197 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -

The Orange Box

#198 Posted by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

Prey.

#199 Posted by Mr402 (139 posts) -

Half-Life 2. Though the launch was so plagued with issues it wasn't funny. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to play it at launch with little issue so I didn't see a problem. I also didn't think it would be half as successful as it ended up to be. I'm glad they became the example to the industry and in my opinion they saved PC gaming by creating the environment that we all enjoy now.

#200 Posted by DarknessMyOldFriend (217 posts) -

Ten years ago Steam was a nightmare you had to endure to play Half Life 2. It was basically the sign of the death of PC gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.