New to SFIV - Who should I be?

#1 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Okay so I'm getting SFIV, that's a lock. My history with fighting games is I liked SF II as a kid, and I tooled around with SC4 last year.

I like faster moving, lower powered characters, but not totally weak. Who fits that bill?

...and who are you planning to be?
#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

Anyone who feels right. People usually start with Ryu or Ken.

#3 Posted by NateDogg (465 posts) -

As a kid I started off with Guile because I found charge motions easier to perform than the quarter circle motion.. but you learn eventually if you play enough.

#4 Edited by myketuna (1644 posts) -

I play Ryu/Ken/Akuma mainly. Just because I've been playing them since I was a kid and thus, am pretty good with them. Definitely not tournament-level or anything. Otherwise, I'm ok to pretty bad with the rest of the crew. As for your request though, Sakura is light and fast (well in the other games she's been in) but she's still pretty powerful. Vega is also fast and powerful. Chun-Li and Cammy are also rather quick, although I always found Chun-Li to be as fast as Ryu and Guile, the middle group. Cammy has always been fast whether my friend or the CPU is playing her. El Fuerte is really fast, but I don't know if he's got the power behind him. This is from what I hear/have seen; I haven't played SF IV yet. Rufus is supposedly very fast too, and he's got some strength to him, but he looks like he plays very awkward. Not bad, just different. In the end though, I think you should just play with everyone and see who you like best.

#5 Posted by xxNBxx (969 posts) -
#6 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

I remember whoring M. Bison a whole bunch when I played SFII with a friend.

As for starting? Not sure...

#7 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Hmmm, looks play a big part in who I'm likely to use too. No freaks. That excludes Vega and El Fuerte. I was thinking Cammy or Sakura.

Cheers for the advice thus far!
#8 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

It's all aboot Zangief bro.

#9 Posted by xxNBxx (969 posts) -
#10 Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -
NateDogg said:
"As a kid I started off with Guile because I found charge motions easier to perform than the quarter circle motion.. but you learn eventually if you play enough."
Same here. I started with Chun-Li and Guile until I got good enough at throwing fireballs to graduate to Ken and Ryu.
Staff
#11 Edited by MB (11888 posts) -

That's strange, now that I think about it, I started off with Guile way back when SFII first showed up in arcades as well.  I even remember when I pulled off my first dragon punch as Ken and the older kid I was up against was all impressed.  Good stuff.

Now, I can't stand charge-style fighters like Guile.

#12 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

My favorite is Ryu and Ken. But when I was a kid I did like Guile a lot.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18883 posts) -

Chun Li or Cammy is a good start for fast characters.

#14 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
Cheapoz said:
"Okay so I'm getting SFIV, that's a lock. My history with fighting games is I liked SF II as a kid, and I tooled around with SC4 last year.
I like faster moving, lower powered characters, but not totally weak. Who fits that bill?

...and who are you planning to be?
"
Disregarding which character is easy to pick up whatever, fast moving, ultra pokey bastard is without a doubt Vega (Claw guy), Haven't had much play time with the wrestler El fuerte, so I'm recommending Vega over him. Of course that is a curve since even fat sumo can be fast depending on how you play him. The characters in SF4 don't play like SC4 where you have someone like Nightmare or Astrid taking a long time to do a move, while the quicker ninja characters can combo in during the wind up phase.

Another character I would recommend is Cammy since her drill and thrust have so much pirioty that if timed right will almost garuantee you the match; but just like a boxer, you gotta somehow get them within your killing range before you exucute. Vega's moves are harder to do than cammy unless you play with a gameplan in mind.
#15 Posted by thefjk (137 posts) -

n00b here, I never really played SF back in the days so I started with Ken... I know how to use him I guess. But it'll take a while to actually perform his moves flawlessly, I end up button mashing when I'm fighting online.

Stay calm, you know how to do this... !
#16 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I'd suggest just picking whatever character you think looks the coolest and then just keep playing with that character until you start to pick up on how they work.  If you want a good character to learn the basics though with not such a learning curve then you should pick Ryu or Ken.  Those two pretty much give you the basis of what Street Fighter is and whatever you learn with them can be applied to other characters.

#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Ryu or Ken are your best bet they are the easiest characters to pick up and learn but the some of the hardest to master where as other characters are harder to learn but easier to master.

#18 Edited by gla55jAw (2685 posts) -

WilliamRLBaker said:

"Ryu or Ken are your best bet they are the easiest characters to pick up and learn but the some of the hardest to master where as other characters are harder to learn but easier to master.

"

Yeah, I'd say go with Ken or Ryu, but make sure to try everyone out. Some people say that charge moves are easier than the quarter circle motions, but after years of playing Street Fighter I hate charge moves and can never do them.

#19 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Ken.
Learn how to Shoryuken/Hadouken.
Jump backwards when match starts, spam to taste.

#20 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

If you want someone a little outside the Ken/Ryu flavor try out Sakura. She's probably my favorite and has a similar move set and she's pretty quick.

#21 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
atejas said:
"Ken.
"
Haha. I'm starting to feel bad when I pick Ken these days.
#22 Posted by Randolph (374 posts) -

Dan.

#23 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
Ossi said:
"If you want someone a little outside the Ken/Ryu flavor try out Sakura. She's probably my favorite and has a similar move set and she's pretty quick.
"
She's kinda weak though, so prepare for chip damage and long haul in matches.
Still my main though.
#24 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"atejas said:
"Ken.
"
Haha. I'm starting to feel bad when I pick Ken these days.
"
Yeah, me too. I play a pretty solid Ken but it seems a lot of guys online now HATE Ken because so many people play him, I've actually got really good at smoking people who choose Sagat because a lot of guys choose Sagat when they see you pull out Ken because he's kind of the Anti-Ken, but hey, BRING YOUR TIGER KNEES AND YOUR TIGER THIS AND TIGER THAT! I'M READY!

But yeah man, if you just practice and put any time in to a character you will get better with them, Ryu and Ken are easier to learn because it's very clear that you use fireballs to control the horizontal space and dragon punches/shoryukens to dominate the vertical space when people jump in etc... It's just about learning how to use the other characters to do the same, and to avoid it.

#25 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

Chun Li and Sakura are pretty good characters to start off with.
Zangief seems to be most noob friendly.

just dont become another one of the Kens i keep facing online lol

#26 Posted by marcusfriendly (87 posts) -

Ive never played 4 but 2 I have I would recommend Ryu

#27 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Everyone always says Ryu or Ken, and while they are the middle of the road character they really aren't much once you take the special moves out of the equation.

if you can throw a fireball, then sure, start with one of them.

But really any of the characters are good enough if you are just starting off, at least in my opnion.

You say you have some experience with Street Fighter games though, specifically 2.

If that's the case, I'd just go with whoever you played the best with then. Most of the characters still work the same for the most part, and nuances of Street Fighter IV have more to do with the new mechanics than any of the moves outside of the new characters.

#28 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

You should be El Fuerte because he sucks.

#29 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -
systech said:
"You should be El Fuerte because he sucks.
"
GT: tha big red

come tell me to my face El Fuerte sucks, I'll show you what super dynamic cooking time really means.
#30 Posted by MB (11888 posts) -
thabigred said:
"systech said:
"

come tell me to my face El Fuerte sucks, I'll show you what super dynamic cooking time really means.
"
I'm totally sending you a friend request, I want to play against someone who uses El Fuerte.  Hasn't happened yet, he may be one of the least-used characters next to Dan.
#31 Posted by WillM (5 posts) -

I think I'm gonna pick SF up tomorrow, PAY DAY OHHHH YEAH. I remember as a kid loving Ryu, seems he's a good start. My lil bro used to pick Ehonda and do slap slap slap slap all the time arrrgggghhhhhhh

#32 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -
MB said:
"thabigred said:
"systech said:
"

"
I'm totally sending you a friend request, I want to play against someone who uses El Fuerte.  Hasn't happened yet, he may be one of the least-used characters next to Dan.
"
My kitchens always open brother, shoot me an invite and we'll play a few matches tommorrow or something.

Right now I am using El Fuerte as soley, but I plan on unlocking dan soon, I always like using obscure characters that people say suck.

It makes you feel good when you get good with an obscure character in street fighter, people tend to want to play you because you are something different. 
#33 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

I personally stared off with Ken, but have now moved over to chun-li.

#34 Edited by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

When i was 8 i use to play as Chun-Li all the time very easy to play and she's got some nice moves, then i moved onto Ryu there's not to much you have to wrap your head around moves wise with him and he's powerfull.

#35 Posted by Darklyte510 (77 posts) -
thabigred said:
"systech said:
"

"
Hahaha that was gold!
#36 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
MB said:
"thabigred said:
"systech said:
"

"
"
That's because the people who actually know how to use him have been brutally murdered due to inflicting such cheap attacks on their opponents. Usually by that same opponent, only in a ski mask.
#37 Posted by lord_canti (1503 posts) -

i mainly go as cammy shes pretty good if u like fast agile characters but over all i would agree with LiquidPrince just go with who feels natural  go on arcade mode  try out a few characters ken and ryu are good to start with try ken if u want to be more close combat  ryu if u want more ranged 

#38 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -
End_Boss said:
"MB said:
"thabigred said:
"systech said:
"

"
"
That's because the people who actually know how to use him have been brutally murdered due to inflicting such cheap attacks on their opponents. Usually by that same opponent, only in a ski mask.
"
I find El Fuerte the most 360 controller friendly player.

When my fight pad comes in from ebay, I will move to some dan.

I can do everything with dan well but his Koryuken, which I can do, but I have to fight with the controls.
#39 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -
MB said:

I've never once seen anyone use Rose ever in an online match.  I've seen Dan a few time and El Fuerte once but never have I seen someone use Rose.
#40 Posted by mnB (71 posts) -

Fast and not a total weakling? Sakura... I play Sakura myself and yea, she's just perfect when it comes to that + friendly to learn : )

#41 Posted by Scarabus (478 posts) -

Everyone I meet online plays as Ken. I never saw the attraction.

#42 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

play anyone other than ken and ryu. seriously we don't need any more of those players. chun-li is easy to learn. so is balrog, honda, blanka, and sagat. but FOR GOD'S SAKE don't play KEN MASTERS!

#43 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -
ImpendingFoil said:
"MB said:

I've never once seen anyone use Rose ever in an online match.  I've seen Dan a few time and El Fuerte once but never have I seen someone use Rose."
I play Rose :)
I mostly pick Cammy, Rose and Viper
i mained ken when i was a kid (like 8 years old) but seriously Ken and Ryu gets old in my book.
#44 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I can't use anyone but Dan or Zangief. I feel like an asshole if I use anyone else.

#45 Posted by AnonymousLegion (64 posts) -

Start with Ken or Ryu, they seem to be the easiest to handle, but later, Sagat. =]

#46 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

When I was a kid on the Genesis, I thought charge characters were easier to use than others, but nowadays I'd say to start with either Ken or Ryu just to learn the ropes.
Or better yet, use Chun Li.  She's pretty damn balanced and her lightening kicks are a snap to use.

#47 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

Just start with Dan.

It's the equivalent of being tossed into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim. But if you can play Dan well, you can do anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.