PETA responds to Super Meat Boy

  • 97 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

By making an imitation flash game on their website. It's called Super Tofu Boy, and spoiler alert
 

 
I don't even know what PETA's trying to do anymore. The character is made out of meat, it isn't advocating the consumption of meat. And technically aren't most game characters made of meat?
#2 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I gave up on one of the auto-scrolling levels that gave too little time for me to get through. So I gave up and never got to see the rest of the idiotic advice the game had to offer me. But at least I now know not to buy anyone a meat dress for Christmas.

#3 Edited by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -

PETA is a caricature of itself.
 
...I would "have become", but I'm not sure if it's really ever been anything more than that.

#4 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

God damnit, I'm all about being vegetarian and stuff. But of all the things to target Super Meat Boy seems like the least important. 
Then again maybe they are just using it as a publicity thing and not calling out Super Meat Boy. Actually that makes the most sense. Alright we can now focus our rage on the appropriate target here, the bad gameplay.

#6 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Super Tofu Boy just doesn't have that same ring to it.

#7 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Does PETA actually do anything useful anymore, or have they just become a media company making games and advertisements?

#8 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

ALL MEAT IS EVIL.

 

CUT OFF ALL YOUR FLESH AND THROW IT IN THE TRASH.

 

RUN OUTSIDE AND ROLL AROUND ON YOUR NEIGHBOR'S LAWN.

 

BREAK YOUR BLOOD FILLED GARBAGE BAG OPEN AGAINST THE HOOD OF HIS CAR.

 

STEAL HIS GUN. PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH. PULL THE TRIGGER. 

 
~ PETA
#9 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Does anyone actually take PETA seriously anymore?

#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

PETA spends about half their revenue trolling and the other half disposing of dead dogs.

#11 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

Fuck PETA, they never show those hot chicks naked.

#12 Edited by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

It actually plays a lot like the original Meat Boy. The physics aren't anywhere near as tight, but I'm quite impressed, it's far better than I expected.

Moderator
#13 Posted by htr10 (334 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" Fuck PETA, they never show those hot chicks naked. "
^this
#14 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" I gave up on one of the auto-scrolling levels that gave too little time for me to get through. So I gave up and never got to see the rest of the idiotic advice the game had to offer me. But at least I now know not to buy anyone a meat dress for Christmas. "
There's a little "tip" bar on the bottom that says all the advice they give you at the end of the levels so there's no need for you to play that horrid game ever again.
#15 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" Does anyone actually take PETA seriously anymore? "
Yes. But they're not the kind of people YOU take seriously.
#16 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I don't think they're saying Meat Boy is bad (correct me if I'm provably wrong) per se, it seems more like a platform to compare tofu to meat. Just stare at the advice ticker at the bottom of the page for like twelve seconds.

#17 Posted by Marz (5651 posts) -

yeah it's not bad but the controls kinda suck.

#18 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Only Peta could make their worthy cause, (being nice to animals) look laughable and batshit crazy by association.  They are a disservice as every time they're in the news I want to kick a puppy.  

#19 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

I always welcome new Meat Boy stages, some levels had a bit too brutal scrolling camera though

#20 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@Romination said:
" @mazik765 said:
" Does anyone actually take PETA seriously anymore? "
Yes. But they're not the kind of people YOU take seriously. "
Huh...weird. I would have that between their hypocrisy, their funding of convicted criminals and their execution of 'rescued' animals people would have realized they are a joke...
#21 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -
@drag said:
" PETA just swings at everything like a child having a temper tantrum and an epileptic fit at the same time, they've got to be the stupidest organisation in the world. "
Some of the causes PETA represents are actually important, admittedly, but they have a unique knack for presenting their arguments in the most annoying ways humanly possible, as if trying to guarantee that any reasonable person who hears them will immediately side against them. They are, indeed, a profoundly stupid organization.
#22 Posted by RubberFactory (288 posts) -

One of the earlier scrolling levels is harder then anything I ever tried in Super Meat Boy (though I haven't played much of it)
 
I really don't like the "vegans are better then everybody else" approach PETA takes, it makes them seem like a bunch of whiny brats who are angry nobody listens to them.

#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Deusoma said:
" @drag said:
" PETA just swings at everything like a child having a temper tantrum and an epileptic fit at the same time, they've got to be the stupidest organisation in the world. "
Some of the causes PETA represents are actually important, admittedly, but they have a unique knack for presenting their arguments in the most annoying ways humanly possible, as if trying to guarantee that any reasonable person who hears them will immediately side against them. They are, indeed, a profoundly stupid organization. "
If Whale Wars is any indication of PETA's demographic, they're doing a great job.
#24 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -

Man. This actually just makes me want to eat more meat, just to annoy them.

#25 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@RubberFactory said:
" I really don't like the "vegans are better then everybody else" approach "
But it's true. Being vegan gives you powers.
#26 Edited by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

REALLY 
 
NO SERIOUSLY, I MEAN REALLY?

#27 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

I believe the exact quote was "Save Bandage Girl from Meat Boy's bloody, jealous rage!" 
 
I might not have gotten that correct, but it certainly seems like a slam on Super Meat Boy to me.

#28 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Fuck Peta,

#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Turrible, just turrible.

#30 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

I may have forgiven PETA if their game was decent. But this is absolutely horrible.
 
And can't Team Meat sue PETA for copying their game completely?

#31 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

#32 Posted by DrJota (700 posts) -

I think it's supposed to be an ad stating how Super Tofu Boy has 1/2 the pixels and reduces the risk of massive platform attack by 30% over Super Meat Boy and other Meat Boy products...

#33 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

Save a cow. Eat a PETA member (preferably Ingrid Newkirk or another higher-up, but any will do).

#34 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

I'm vegan and while I do support PETA, I'm also quite critic with some of their campaigns, especially those that border "ecoterrorism". To each their own, I say. What bothers me the most is that non-vegetarians and non-vegas associate PETA with vegetarianism and veganism, and react consequently. I usually don't say I'm vegan because I know most people will instantly feel threatened, as if I would try to "convert" them into my way of thinking. I've been called names out of the blue, too. But it's not the case here, though. I don't think they are saying Super Meat Boy is "evil" (I love it, actually), nor that it promotes the consumption of meat or anything. They're just using something that has been quite popular for a certain demographic (i.e. gamers) to their own advantage. It's not worse than when a company uses Internet memes in their ads.  
 
Just don't take this too seriously. And please, remember not to equate veganism to radical activism :)

#35 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

PETA is all about forcing their own ridiculous beliefs on everyone else in society. If you don't want to eat meat, then fine, but eating meat doesn't make me a monster. 
Luckily most people like eating meat, so their idiotic crusade will never go anywhere.

#36 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I thought it was a funny parody. Some of the quotes at the end of the levels are so ridiculous it's hilarious.

#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Xanth93 said:
" And can't Team Meat sue PETA for copying their game completely? "
Parody and criticism are considered fair use. They didn't steal the game's source code or whatever, so it's probably fine as far as copyright goes.
#38 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

The game played okay. Still, I'm not sure how this is helping PETA express it's ideologies. Super Meat Boy was a sort of parody/homage to old video games, and here with have a parody of a video game that didn't take itself seriously? *head explodes. 

#39 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I'm going to go cook some baccon just because of this.

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

I don't think PETA are really trying to rag on Super Meat Boy, I think they're just trying to be witty and ride off of the popularity of Super Meat Boy, although there are a whole host of other things PETA have done that they can be criticised for.

Moderator
#41 Edited by Lonely_Misanthrope (43 posts) -

P.E.T.A. -
-Claims no medical advances have been made through animal testing even though prominent members of their group use the products of those 'non-existent' advances on a daily basis.
-Frequently protest animal shelters that euthanize animals because they are 'committing mass murder' even though they euthanize up to a third of the animals they rescue each year.
-Claims to not support eco-terrorism while giving thousands of dollars to the families of known eco-terrorists. 
-Equates owning a cat or dog with owning a human being. 

So yea, this ripoff of Super Meat Boy is pretty tame compared to their usual idiocy.

#42 Posted by Milkman (16779 posts) -

I literally can not believe that this exists. 

#43 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" I don't think PETA are really trying to rag on Super Meat Boy, I think they're just trying to be witty and ride off of the popularity of Super Meat Boy, although there are a whole host of other things PETA have done that they can be criticised for. "
Okay, that makes more sense. Still, look what they brought to us before: 
 

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11720 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @Gamer_152 said:
" I don't think PETA are really trying to rag on Super Meat Boy, I think they're just trying to be witty and ride off of the popularity of Super Meat Boy, although there are a whole host of other things PETA have done that they can be criticised for. "
Okay, that makes more sense. Still, look what they brought to us before: 
 

"
I find that ironically hilarious. Do people who fit into Cooking Mama's demographic (much less Super Meat Boy's demographic) care about PETA or their stupid antics? Obviously someone in that organization thinks they do. Me? I think I'll stick to meat.
#45 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
"

ALL MEAT IS EVIL.

 

CUT OFF ALL YOUR FLESH AND THROW IT IN THE TRASH.

 

RUN OUTSIDE AND ROLL AROUND ON YOUR NEIGHBOR'S LAWN.

 

BREAK YOUR BLOOD FILLED GARBAGE BAG OPEN AGAINST THE HOOD OF HIS CAR.

 

STEAL HIS GUN. PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH. PULL THE TRIGGER. 

 ~ PETA "
i see the light 
kill! kill John Lennon !
#46 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Team Meat should sue for blatant copyright infringement. Yeah it would be a dick move, but PETA are humongous assholes that deserve it, and dicks fuck assholes. 

#47 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" It actually plays a lot like the original Meat Boy. The physics aren't anywhere near as tight, but I'm quite impressed, it's far better than I expected. "
Damn Commies. 
 
I got to the second level, and when I could barely wall-jump because of the poor physics, I stopped playing. 
 
Viva la Super Meat Boy!
#48 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

All this game does is make me want a cheeseburger.

#49 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -
@mazik765: Nope, nobody.
#50 Edited by Vao (328 posts) -

Now, to see what team meat comes up with to counter this game. say some new levels that take aim at a piece of non branded tofu being the bad guy.  
 
I read this as a eat a fast food burger, yum yup its good. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.