Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Do you think this game is better than Twilight Princess?

• 100 results
    Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

People complained about Wind Waker and many wanted the next Zelda game to be like Ocarina Of Time. It was in many ways but it wasn't in the same league as Ocarina Of Time. Ocarina Of Time was revolutionary and new at its time of release Twilight Princess showed how far certain Zelda games had come and felt like a very old game of Zelda thats why it dissapointed.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By hazelnutman

Where's the love for Majora's Mask :(

wizeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By wizeguy

i think ocarina of time was better, it just felt more complete and the end fight was truly epic. but i did love twilight princess, im just looking forward to something copletely new.

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Me too I hope the next Zelda game adds something different because Twilight Princess didn't feel to have anything different to other Zelda games.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By jlaudio7
    Cartman said:
    "Yes, it is the pinacle of gaming
    "
    What he said. Twilight Princess is still a very good game though, it just doesn't come near the OOT-level of perfection.
    Avatar image for weskers_evil_brother
    Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I stubbed my toe this morning and it was more fun than LZTP, or any Zelda game for that matter.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By ZimpanX

Yes Ocarine of Time is definitely better, but that's because harldy anything out there compares.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I dont like either.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#59  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Willy105 said:
    "Twilight Princess is obviously superior than Ocarina of Time, but most people will remember OoT more because it was new.
    "
    I don't agree. The difficulty was a lot easier and it wasn't nearly as good in my opinion.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By lethalki11ler

Ocarina of time is easily the winner...

nerouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By nerouke

OOT was much more fresh and unique at the time, so I would say OOT is better

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By PerryVandell

Ocarina of Time I believe is one of the greatest games ever created. Everything about the game is amazing. The story, graphics, music, gameplay, all was top notch.

Avatar image for colonel0crunkenstein
    Colonel0Crunkenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There aren't many games that can even top Ocarina. Everything around it is so well crafted. The thing is, for it's time it was so revolutionary. But for TP, well it hasn't added much new gameplay mechanics, just a few sword moves, and changing into a wolf but thats about all I could notice. Nonetheless, both are excellent games.

PharoahCapcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PharoahCapcom

Way better.

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By Warihay

OoT I think is by far better than Twilight Princess. OoT brought more variety. Like many others have said, TP felt like it was trying to hard to re create that experience but I don't think it worked. I could not even find it in me to finish to TP. On the last dungeon I believe so maybe I will go back to it. I just really hope the next Zelda really takes advantage of the Wii's controls.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By kenzo287

I think that Twilight Princess was the better Zelda game but Ocarina is the better game

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By logson

Ocarina of Time still has the magic it had ten years ago.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mourne

There's absolutely no question whatsoever that this game is far superior to the average Twilight Princess. TP was run of the mill--this game redefined adventure games.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Homer

Much better, twilight princess sucks balls.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SSbabel

It really depends on the person playing the game and what there opinion on the games are. personally TP its just a bigger game more to do and see as they say.

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By seanbooker

The answer is easily OoT, you can't argue against it. TP was definitely not that great whereas OoT was incredible for it's time. TP brought nothing to this generation that would wow us. It was even ridiculous that it was a GC game ported to the Wii but with nothing new except inverting the screen and some motion stuff. There is no way that TP would be better.

JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By JazzMaverick

Ocarina of time and Windwaker were both better than Twilight Princess imo.

JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By JazzMaverick
    logson said:
    "Ocarina of Time still has the magic it had ten years ago.
    "
    I agree......the trouble is,whenever i start thinking about OOT, it makes me want to dust off the GC and play it again.
    Alynablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Alynablaze

hell no, ocarina of time pisses all over this

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jordan23

Personally, I prefer Twilight Princess, but is Twilight Princess a better game than Ocarina of Time. I'm not so sure about that one.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By zityz
    This is always a hard topic to bring up, because there will be purests who, no matter what, will always put OoT at the top of the list. Me personally have a diiferent view on the matter.
    When OoT came out, yes it was really good, The story was very well made, the dungeons and the gameplay at the time was nice, 3d graphics, targeting system, but to me OoT will always seam like the 3d version of Zelda: Link to the past.

Aside, from the storyline, and some changes here and there, *TO ME* it seams like I was playing link to the past, with the difference of it being in 3d, you got older, your sidekick was one of the most anoying things in gaming history, and they re-invented gannon.

As a 3d platformer, yes it was quite revolutionary, TP does take a lot of the good from OoT and changes it up, some of it for the better, some for the worse. I did enjoy the storyline, Midna was nowhere near as annoying as Navi, the wolf idea was strange but interesting, some of the dungeons were very enjoyable and different to play through ( the spinner top dungeon and the snow dungeon) the map was bigger, there was more variey out in the open world (  like the stage coach quest) The end boss battle was truely amazing and I think by far, the best fight(s) you encounter with gannon(dorf) and had some better emotional scenes in it. Of course the hardware now helps portray an emotional aspect a bit more.

Now, I don't hate OoT, it was enjoyable same as OoT:MQ version, and it has some amazing moments in the game and some very, but I feel that TP was a more enjoyable, not revolutionary, but more enhanced on the foundation OoT created.

I also could be in the minority anyway, My two favorite Zeldas of all time are Zelda:Wind Waker and Zelda: A link to the Past, so you may take my post with a grain of salt

*NOTE* Not stating this as fact, just my perspective on the subject. 
    uncle_andross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By uncle_andross

Yes it was and so was Majora and The Wind Waker

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#78  Edited By Black_Rose

No, i love them both but in my opinion Twilight Princess is superior

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By clubsandwich

Majoras Mask>OoT>>>>>>>TP, but still fucking loved it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Without a doubt. I think people that believe Twilight Princess is a better game either didn't play Ocarina of Time when it first came out, or they're Wii fanboys living in denial.

Twilight Princess has a lot of bad design choices that hurt the game a bit, also they managed to create a character far more annoying than Navi ever was with Midna. Several portions of the game really just seemed tacked on to extend the length and ultimately just feel kind of uninspired. The game really doesn't try anything new at all and sticks a little too close to the Zelda formula, which kind of held the game back from feeling truly next-gen. Now, for the record, I think Twilight Princess is a great game overall, but man, it felt like it was trying to top Ocarina of Time by doing many things it did and just making them bigger. In the end, it turns out that doesn't quite work and it just seems like they were playing it too safe. Remember the first trailer of the game? All the intensity and epicness? The horde of enemies approaching from the horizon? We didn't see that kind of awesomeness in the final game. Many of the bosses looked cool, but weren't much of a threat. The alternate outfits were quite lame, especially the final one which is just ridiculously dumb. Also, I'd say the lack of dual analog controls hurt the Wii version quite a bit. It's just more convenient to be able to control the camera at will rather than having to constantly press a button to recenter the camera. But that's more of a fault with the Wii controller than the design of the game.

I'll throw out a few examples of some of the problems I have with the game, just for the heck of it. Okay, once again, the rupee problem rears its ugly head, but this time it is worse than ever. Frequently in Zelda games, you'll have a full wallet and not much to spend it on, and which point collecting more rupees, while encouraged, is a waste of time. Twilight Princess did have some donation thing you could put money into, which temporarily helped this problem, but man, you're just collecting too much money in the game. Look at the bugs for instance, you want to collect them, but your only reward is money, and chances are your wallet is full so you can't carry it anyway. Wow, hey great, thanks for letting me know I'm wasting my time. Give me some better rewards, man. Something I can't normally access any other way would be cool. Here's what makes this problem worse than ever in TP. If you have a full wallet and open a chest with rupees you can't carry, what happens? Link puts the money back and closes the chest. Now, I understand what they were thinking when they did this. "Hey, we'll do this so they can go back later and pick up the money when they need it". The problem is that you'll never do that for one, and let's say you're trying to collect all the hearts in a temple. Well, you know that chest you opened but closed to put the rupees back? Well, it's still gonna appear on the map, so while you're trying to avoid it and get heart pieces instead, you'll likely end up going after a chest and finding out it's one with rupees you've already opened before. Pretty frustrating. This problem extends outside of dungeons, too. Twilight Princess has many well designed puzzles throughout Hyrule. Many of which you'll see throughout the game, but will be unable to solve until you get a certain item later. Just being teased by the chests like this really makes it more enticing to finally figure out the puzzle and open them. But then you finally solve this puzzle that has been taunting you throughout the entire game, and reach a chest, only to find..... a chest with rupees, oh, and your pockets are full so you put it back. Dude, that's freaking retarded. That's just a minor complaint that I've clearly dragged out too long, but it just goes to show how this seemingly good developer design ended up being very frustrating for gamers. And I'm sure anyone here who has beat the game knows exactly what I'm talking about. The money issue rears its head in nearly every aspect of the game with all the various things you'll want to collect.

Okay, another criticism. This will just be one specific example, but there are countless similar ones you'll experience in the game. Remember the cat in the first area of the game? The woman wants her cat to come home. You decide to help her out, since that's the polite thing to do and actually, I think it was necessary to progress in the game. So you bust out your fishing pole, and the cat starts following you. So you're like "Alright! This is easy!" and you get him to follow you to the door of the house and you go inside. Then what happens? Nothing. The cat didn't go inside. You go back out, the cat is where it originally was as if you never did anything. You probably try it again, and still see you have no success. After that, you're looking for another way. You're probably trying to see if you can chase the cat and catch it and carry it inside. That doesn't pan out. So then you decide to fish, since cats generally like fish. But this fishing is very awkward because this is just a short line on a stick. No reel or anything, you can't really cast it out into the water, which makes fishing kind of difficult because it seems like you're doing something wrong. Anyway, eventually you catch a fish, and hey, the cat's following you and the fish. You think you've solved the problem! Now he'll follow you into the house! You and the cat go to the house, you go inside. OH, JUST GREAT! The cat didn't come inside, once again! You know what? Screw the cat. Forget it, I'll go continue my quest without it. Oh, but wait! You can't! You need to get that cat in the house before you can continue! See how frustrating such a simple little task can be in Twilight Princess? Now how do you really solve this puzzle? Well, you have to catch a second fish for the cat! And the cat takes it and runs into the house on its own. Dude, that's freaking stupid and some bad game design. The cat should take it when you catch your first fish. Chances are that after you've tried luring it with the pole a couple times and even tried luring the cat with a fish, you're gonna think that it's not the answer and you're gonna be looking for another solution. But you know what? You're not gonna find one. Maybe you'll have enough patience to try fishing again with the lousiest fishing pole ever, or maybe you'll get stuck and frustrated and have to resort to a guide to find the answer. Now, if you're reading this, and it wouldn't surprise me if you aren't (since I seem to have an unusual habit of posting my longest, most detailed responses in like the 3rd or 4th pages of threads where almost no one looks), then you're probably thinking that's just one really specific instance and isn't enough to hurt the game. But in reality, there are several instances just like this in Twilight Princess, I'd say I encountered at least 4 during the game, and it's not because I'm retarded or bad at video games, but because the developers made some bad design choices.

Oh, and dude. Don't get me started on how lame of a character Zant turned out to be in the end. With that, I am off!

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Shasam

In terms of how I felt about them at the time, Ocarina is much better. That's only to do with the fact that when TP came out, I was a bit tired of the series, I just wasn't excited for it. When Ocarina came out, however, it was all fresh in my mind after playing A Link to the Past and I was hyped for it. In my mind, that's the biggest difference between those games, simple timing.

I'm not sure if they were released the opposite way round I would feel the same, but I would bet I probably would.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

No I love twilight princess, its finally an more adult themed zelda game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#83  Edited By Meowayne

For it's time, yes.

Otherwise, no. Ocarina of time is horrible now if you haven't played it back then. And I really mean, horrible. And that's coming from a guy who likes old/classic games. 80% of the game's appeal is nostalgia.

But, for it's time, yes.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By Shadow

I liked the last boss in TP soooo much more.  It ends up being completely epic.  OoT tries the same thing, but for me, it was a lot of build up to not a lot of payoff.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By Snail

Are you serious?! Ocarina has the highest metascore ever! Just don't look at it because of the graphics at improvements, think of it as if you were in 1998. It's amazing.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Otacon

I prefer OoT because of its more playful feel, I think TP was perhaps getting a bit too dark for Zelda, I still loved it though.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#87  Edited By SpinCookie

Am I the only one who liked the Wind Waker the best?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By Red

I played Ocarina of Time. I tried to like it, but I just couldn't. It is just SO FREAKIN' BORING! And this is coming from someone who has played so many JRPGs and have never purchased an FPS. The dungeons in Zelda are horrible, always have been and always will be. They're confusing and they pretty much feel like Pokemon when all your guys are almost dead and you're out of potions. It just feels sluggish and bitter. When you get to the bosses, they aren't that much fun. TP is a great game, however. The dungeons are still painful, but the bosses and set pieces are incredibly fun.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Ah, precisely. Another complete waste of time. ;)

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#90  Edited By joey
    Ocarina was definitely better.

TheGreatGuero
    said:
    "

Okay, another criticism. This will just be one specific example, but there are countless similar ones you'll experience in the game. Remember the cat in the first area of the game? The woman wants her cat to come home. You decide to help her out, since that's the polite thing to do and actually, I think it was necessary to progress in the game. So you bust out your fishing pole, and the cat starts following you. So you're like "Alright! This is easy!" and you get him to follow you to the door of the house and you go inside. Then what happens? Nothing. The cat didn't go inside. You go back out, the cat is where it originally was as if you never did anything. You probably try it again, and still see you have no success. After that, you're looking for another way. You're probably trying to see if you can chase the cat and catch it and carry it inside. That doesn't pan out. So then you decide to fish, since cats generally like fish. But this fishing is very awkward because this is just a short line on a stick. No reel or anything, you can't really cast it out into the water, which makes fishing kind of difficult because it seems like you're doing something wrong. Anyway, eventually you catch a fish, and hey, the cat's following you and the fish. You think you've solved the problem! Now he'll follow you into the house! You and the cat go to the house, you go inside. OH, JUST GREAT! The cat didn't come inside, once again! You know what? Screw the cat. Forget it, I'll go continue my quest without it. Oh, but wait! You can't! You need to get that cat in the house before you can continue! See how frustrating such a simple little task can be in Twilight Princess? Now how do you really solve this puzzle? Well, you have to catch a second fish for the cat! And the cat takes it and runs into the house on its own. Dude, that's freaking stupid and some bad game design. The cat should take it when you catch your first fish. Chances are that after you've tried luring it with the pole a couple times and even tried luring the cat with a fish, you're gonna think that it's not the answer and you're gonna be looking for another solution. But you know what? You're not gonna find one. Maybe you'll have enough patience to try fishing again with the lousiest fishing pole ever, or maybe you'll get stuck and frustrated and have to resort to a guide to find the answer. Now, if you're reading this, and it wouldn't surprise me if you aren't (since I seem to have an unusual habit of posting my longest, most detailed responses in like the 3rd or 4th pages of threads where almost no one looks), then you're probably thinking that's just one really specific instance and isn't enough to hurt the game. But in reality, there are several instances just like this in Twilight Princess, I'd say I encountered at least 4 during the game, and it's not because I'm retarded or bad at video games, but because the developers made some bad design choices.

Oh, and dude. Don't get me started on how lame of a character Zant turned out to be in the end. With that, I am off!
    "
    And I hated that part too.
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JohnRehill

OoT>TP

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By Whisperkill

Majora's Mask is the better game

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I know I'm in the major minority here but I preferred Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time, however this is most likely because I didn't play Ocarina of Time when it was first released and only played it years later on the Gamecube. I think Twilight Princess is an awesome game but even years later I still enjoyed Ocarina of Time.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Dalai
    @Dalai said:
    " Twilight Princess feels like a souped-up Ocarina of Time, which is a good thing... but it wasn't really revolutionary.  I give Ocarina of Time the nod because you never seen anything like it at the time. "
    A year and a half later, I still stand by my comment.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By raiz265
    @Virago said:
    " I want Zelda to be more active... I hate that she's the rescued-princess-type. "
    wasn't she rather active in ocarina of time?
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By luce

TP was my least favorite Zelda game.

Still pretty good though.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By DystopiaX

YES. HELL YES. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#98  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @JohnRehill: Well, thanks to you I have yet another opportunity to post this little picture:
    No Caption Provided
    On topic though: Ocarina of Time is an exponentially better game than Twilight Princess. Hell, Wind Waker is a better game than TP. My problem with that game was that it tried too hard to be the same, but felt stale as a result. It's still a good game though.
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By JohnRehill
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @JohnRehill: Well, thanks to you I have yet another opportunity to post this little picture:
    No Caption Provided
    On topic though: Ocarina of Time is an exponentially better game than Twilight Princess. Hell, Wind Waker is a better game than TP. My problem with that game was that it tried too hard to be the same, but felt stale as a result. It's still a good game though. "
    Well, I saw the thread and wanted to input my opinion, no harm in that. But cool card nonetheless.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#100  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @JohnRehill: My intent wasn't malicious, but I really like posting that picture.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.