Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Gamespot Gives Zelda 7.5, Hilarity ensues

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By RE_Player1
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By GS_Dan
    "Guess we'll have to play it for ourselves and find out about the controls"

A guy got thumbed down for saying that :D

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Meowshi

Wow, Patrick was extremely positive about the game, and he doesn't like anything.

Can't wait to see more reviews..

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#104  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

You see this all the time from gamers (sadly), but why are Zelda fans in particular the ones that freak out the most?

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By DukesT3

It brought the metacritic score DOWN!!! AAGHHHH! I'M ANGRY! THIS EFFECTS ME PERSONALLY!! GRRR!!!!! DO THEY NOT KNOW HOW TO PLAY FREAKIN GAMES OR ARE THEY TOO BUSY PLAYIN THE BRO-FREST CALL OF DOOOOOOODY!?!?!??!?!?!

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#106  Edited By GS_Dan

@thornie: I loved Wind Waker. It's worth a play through.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#107  Edited By Klei

Why do people react like if every zelda fan goes batshit over the 7.5 score? Only a handful of them are, and they're the one to post bullshit online. As for the 7.5 score, its just Tom's opinion, he hasn't stated many facts that bothers me all that much. I'm buying a Zelda game for, well, it to be a Zelda game. With boomerang, fire temple and whatnot. I don't want it to be some kind of next-gen spin off with stealth sequences, quick time events and finishers.

So, you see? It's the a matter of opinion. I read Tom's review and it's a pretty good review, but it's still his opinion. Look at MW3. I can't even touch this series anymore without laughing at how bad it looks/plays. Yet, it gets glowing scores. And it doesn't bother me ; it's just OPINIONS. If people love it, then by all means people, entertain yourselves!

It's time for people to, you know, grow up.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#108  Edited By zor

@Klei said:

Why do people react like if every zelda fan goes batshit over the 7.5 score? Only a handful of them are, and they're the one to post bullshit online. As for the 7.5 score, its just Tom's opinion, he hasn't stated many facts that bothers me all that much. I'm buying a Zelda game for, well, it to be a Zelda game. With boomerang, fire temple and whatnot. I don't want it to be some kind of next-gen spin off with stealth sequences, quick time events and finishers.

So, you see? It's the a matter of opinion. I read Tom's review and it's a pretty good review, but it's still his opinion. Look at MW3. I can't even touch this series anymore without laughing at how bad it looks/plays. Yet, it gets glowing scores. And it doesn't bother me ; it's just OPINIONS. If people love it, then by all means people, entertain yourselves!

It's time for people to, you know, grow up.

Because they are trolling... that and they like to hate, since hating is cool.

Personally, i think the people complaining about other people complaining, are just as bad, or in some cases worst than the other group.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By RuthLoose

@Meowshi said:

Wow, Patrick was extremely positive about the game, and he doesn't like anything.

Can't wait to see more reviews..

False. Patrick likes skinny jeans... and hot news scoops.

Also this.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By kishinfoulux

Honestly I'm all for differing opinions but he HAS to be trolling for hits.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Lunar_Aura

At least he didn't give Tony Hawk 3 a 10, amirite? *ducks*

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By RedRoach

@ajamafalous said:

Another great aspect of watching that video review is that when I went to the comments, I saw linkyshinks had commented there. So that was great.

I saw that too, in one of his comments he said he was probably coming back to GB so that's cool.

To me, this is both hilarious and enraging. I want to sit there and respond to each and every one of them. I know that won't accomplish anything and in the end I'll jut have wasted my time and come out just as bad as them. One person even said something along the lines of "reviewed by a CoD fanboy who is raging that this isn't another 1st person shooter". Tom Mcshea hasn't played any of the CoD games and he is least interested in 1st person shooters than any other genre.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By DukesT3

@ProfessorEss said:

@CornBREDX said:

The funny part is, the games that get defended this way will keep getting made whether they defend it or not. They really are contributing nothing, but it does seem a lot of them really feel they are haha

Exactly. You wanna bitch about something? How about bitching on behalf of a game that's not guaranteed to have sequels that you love until the end of time despite it's scores.

Try being a big Viva Pinata fan. While you're crying about a 7.5 bringing your favourite game's metacritic average down to 94 I'm sitting here with no plans or hope of a sequel :P

Or an Enslaved fan.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@LooseChange said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@CornBREDX said:

The funny part is, the games that get defended this way will keep getting made whether they defend it or not. They really are contributing nothing, but it does seem a lot of them really feel they are haha

Exactly. You wanna bitch about something? How about bitching on behalf of a game that's not guaranteed to have sequels that you love until the end of time despite it's scores.

Try being a big Viva Pinata fan. While you're crying about a 7.5 bringing your favourite game's metacritic average down to 94 I'm sitting here with no plans or hope of a sequel :P

Or an Enslaved fan.

Okami, too ;_;

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115  Edited By JJOR64

@GS_Dan said:

"Guess we'll have to play it for ourselves and find out about the controls"

A guy got thumbed down for saying that :D

Played through it myself and the controls can be a little troublesome at times.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BoG

Well, that was a pretty awful review. If the game is as repetitive as his review, then it really does deserve a 7.5. He did make a number of valid points. I've been fearing (and expecting) for a while now that the game would be too formulaic. I think docking the game for the lack of originality is warranted.  
    Kudos to McShea for defending himself in the comments section. That takes balls.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By bybeach

I have no interest in this game, and I do not own a Wii

Having said all that, I'm a touch leery of a 7.5 score. But I know little about the reviewer, and perhaps his points, for him, was his experience. I guess it's my suspicion of the highest highs and lowest lows, and I could be wrong for that.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Th3_James

Man people are stupid. Skyrim could have got low scores and it wouldn't impact me liking it one bit. These people need to chill.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#119  Edited By ch3burashka

@CaLe said:

Like I've said before, Zelda fans are rabid. It's quite unfortunate really.

Like I've said before, Zelda fans are rabbids. It's quite unfortunate really.

There, corrected.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#120  Edited By Yummylee

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Abyssfull said:

@ajamafalous said:

Another great aspect of watching that video review is that when I went to the comments, I saw linkyshinks had commented there. So that was great.

Linkyshinks is still on GB, too, y'know. He just now goes by the name of Contro after being banned; different name, same insane intoxication with Japanese gaming - with Nintendo in particular.

Wait, really? This is the internet, so I can't tell if you're being mean or if this is actually a true statement. Assuming it is the latter, that totally makes sense. Now you just need to tell me that some of the newer users on the site are sleeper cell members of the Wii Defense Force waiting to rise up and terrorize the forums once more.

As always, I enjoy the fallout on these kinds of things. This may be the next 8.8 people. Get ready.

YOU DARE ACCUSSSSE MEEEE... OF INSUBORDINATE SLANDER?!... but no, that is Linkyshinks. I'm surprised he came back considering how he turned into a raving turd; his profile from what I believe was also actually deleted off of screened for whatever reason. And again like I said to Walrus I'm surprised I'm the only one who's found it so plainly obvious at this point. You just look at the crazy info dumps Contro posts all across the boards about Japanese games (Nintendo in particular) and it was easy to decipher.

As for WDF: well, Claude's still around, more than likely plotting for the take-over in the open whilst the rest undergo disguises. I've come to believe that Oldschool is under the new guise of Seriouslynow, too.

OK, no, that one is me just being silly.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122  Edited By Simplexity

Don't know why people care one way or the other to be honest, and to be honest I can understand people that get upset over a game getting poor reviews, I wouldn't do it personally but I can see why people would do that. What I cannot ever understand though is people that are seemingly happy that a game gets a low score or a poor review, it's just silly.

Geown87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Geown87

@ajamafalous said:

I lolled.

Side note: There is a reason I haven't looked at any Gamespot content in the past 4 years.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Haziqonfire

Problem with the review is that it's factually incorrect about certain things - like saying you aim in the game using the Wii Remote's IR -- but you don't, you use the gyro sensor. Those factually incorrect statements are worse than the score given.

You should at least know about the game you're reviewing.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By DeF

@Prodstep said:

Seems like a weird review, he complains about the combat and controls when literally every other review has had nothing but glowing things to say about it, but it doesn't really matter to me how he rates the game I suppose. I commend that guys bravery though he is in for a rough week or so.

Some people just don't like motion controls or don't seem to have the patience to learn how it works. I had no issues in 15minutes with the E3 builds so I'm assuming that's part of the reviewers problem.

What annoys me the most about stuff like this is that those crazy people in the comments make level headed fans look bad as well and drag the image of the game down even more.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Hameyadea

So another Zelda game that, and I'm guessing here, probably involves Zelda, Link, some stuff going bad, some stuff going worse, some stuff that Link repairs, Boss Battle, Link wins, credits!

Holy shit, they've transformed RPG gaming forever! Again!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By Red12b

@ajamafalous said:

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Simplexity

@Hameyadea said:

So another Zelda game that, and I'm guessing here, probably involves Zelda, Link, some stuff going bad, some stuff going worse, some stuff that Link repairs, Boss Battle, Link wins, credits!

To be fair every sequel ever is like that, and Zelda is not an RPG but I digress.

@DeF: I find that odd, I don't really care what or how he rates a game but, that seems unprofessional in that case. It would be like assigning someone to review Madden who hates football, why would you ever do that?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#129  Edited By MildMolasses

@kishinfoulux said:

Gamespot has the highest traffic of any gaming site. I'm pretty sure they don't do things to troll for hits

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Dany

I am starting to fucking hate these threads.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I can't take any more stupidity today. This shit along with that new Rebecca Black video really put me over my limit.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By BoG
    @MildMolasses said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Gamespot has the highest traffic of any gaming site. I'm pretty sure they don't do things to troll for hits

Yeah, I don't really see why Gamespot would need to do such a thing. Not to mention, if this was their strategy, it angers a(n immature) minority in the established userbase enough that they leave the site. This is a common enough occurence that it can be expected. I find the "they're doing it for the hits!" view to be a silly way to discount the review.
    Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Hameyadea

@Prodstep: I accidentally wrote RPG, my bad. About your other point, it's true that the tried-and-true formula of sequel-making is to remain as close as possible to what made the previous game a hit, however there is a difference between remaining true to the origins and between flat-out copying the last game. How many times must Link save Zelda before he realizes that she has a Princess Peach Symptoms, and he has the Mario Condition. Anyhow, I can write a 4-passages long post here for all fanboys and girls to see and it would change the fact the Zelda fans will jump right into the game, whilst "outsiders" will not. I think I'll just write a long blog about the repetitiveness in gaming, maybe.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Hameyadea

@MildMolasses said:

@kishinfoulux said:

I'm pretty sure it's IGN, but GS is a close second.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @axlrose15 said:

@CaLe said:

Like I've said before, Zelda fans are rabid. It's quite unfortunate really.

Not just Zelda fans,Nintendo fans in general. Despite the fact the company has not been at its peak, or relevant, for about 15 years. They make out every mario/zelda release like its the pinnacle of gaming...give me a fucking break.

That kind of fanboyism exist in multiple forms. As someone who was apart of the Capcom Unity forums for several years, Capcom fans look at Capcom's games in the same vain as Nintendo fans do with Nintendo's games, despite the fact on how shady Capcom does business now-a-days.  

It even exist in GiantBomb community. Go post a thread about how the Bombcast "is too long" or how you don't like the Quick Looks, and I guarantee you that this community will give the exact same quality post that Zelda fans are giving to GameSpot, including users that are posting in this thread. Which makes this situation ironic.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#136  Edited By jakob187

@ajamafalous said:

Wait, Linkyshinks abandoned us for Gamespot?! THAT BITCH!

Also, I stopped caring about Zelda games the minute they disavowed Majora's Mask from the "Zelda proper".

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#137  Edited By FreakAche

@jakob187 said:

Also, I stopped caring about Zelda games the minute they disavowed Majora's Mask from the "Zelda proper".

Not sure what you mean by that. It's just another game in the Zelda series. It's not like they refuse to acknowledge it's existence or something crazy like that.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#138  Edited By Hef

@jakob187: Oh trust me he's still on GB. Just look for the name that dominates the skyward sword forums.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#139  Edited By EmuLeader

@Hef said:

Reading these comments about how they don't agree with this guys opinion and how he should be fired for it is both hilarious and really depressing at the same time. The fanboys are in a peak state of rage right now. Now is the time for trolling gentlemen.

http://www.gamespot.com/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/videos/video-review-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-6346095?tag=topslot;title;1

I remember reading a forum post where the GameFAQs (I think?) community flipped out over Jeff's review of a zelda game as well.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Simplexity

@Hameyadea: Not to get into a big argument that has been done to death and beyond but, I've always felt they changed the setting, the characters and the formula enough between each installment to make it feel fresh and interesting. More so then most franchises to be perfectly honest.

Now it sounds like I am defending the game and the Zelda franchise and I don't want to come across as some crazy Nintendo lunatic but, whatever.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By shaunk

As a Zelda fan I think the fans that freak out about the review before they have played the game are insane. Also Im not looking much at the outrage on GS. Is it bigger than the 8.8 blowout or have Nintendo fans learned to chill out a little?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Dalai

But I haven't played the game yet. I'll bitch about it next week.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#143  Edited By rachelepithet

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Kasswara

Browsing the GamesFAQs Skyward Sword boards is the epitome of entertainment.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#145  Edited By fox01313

Yet another time when people are taking review scores a little too literally especially before playing it themselves. Bottom line, if you're a fan of the Zelda franchise, you probably already bought or ordered the game so who cares about review scores at that point.

Just think of how crazy this would have been if it was for some other bigger franchise with an even more rabid fanbase (can't think of any at the moment but sure that it's out there).

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Lukeweizer

This one is my favorite:

gustavochino
    Posted Nov 16, 2011 10:13 pm GMT
    Tom mcshea you need learn more about games. You need be more objetive and revalue this masterpiece. Gamespot is the only website that give a bad score to skyward sword. Tom mcshea do you need a game with realistic grafics?? Do you need more of the same PS3 and XBOX360?? Do you need a control with much buttons for push and push?? The legend of zelda is not more of the same!! skyward sword show your weakness about reviews and that gamespot reviews are poor. IGN the best!!!!

agree0 disagree0 = 0 Sign in to rate this comment

Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Gumby

@Lukeweizer: I think we found the guy who writes all the spam on GB's forums...

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By ShadowDoGG

Guys you don't get it at all.

This is what happened...

McShea didn't realise motionplus had a key role to play in the calibrating when it came to first person. Motionplus is not only for the swords calibrating. Therefore each time he went into first person because he felt he had to point it at the screen he had to keep calibrating the controller. This would have been extremely frustrating.

It's not the score itself that gets me, its when stuff like Uncharted 3 gets a 9 when it is simply go into an empty room, then oh - it's an ambush!

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#149  Edited By jkuc316

@Sweep said:

Zelda is a really cool guy.

eh gets "LOW" scores from Gamespot and doesn't afraid of anything?

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hameyadea said:

why do people do this? you can distil ANY game into a sentence and make it look like same old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.