Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Gamespot Gives Zelda 7.5, Hilarity ensues

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By ShadowDoGG

@masterpaperlink said:

@Hameyadea said:

So another Zelda game that, and I'm guessing here, probably involves Zelda, Link, some stuff going bad, some stuff going worse, some stuff that Link repairs, Boss Battle, Link wins, credits!

Holy shit, they've transformed RPG gaming forever! Again!

why do people do this? you can distil ANY game into a sentence and make it look like same old.

Yep Uncharted. He is on a treasure hunt to find something, nothing is what it appears, everything goes haywire -he wins.

Assassin's Creed. You search for something, climb walls, kill people, you don't find what your looking for in the end - cliffhanger.

Modern Warfare. Your on a mission to divert the a catastrophe by an evil dictator - you kill the dictator.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I find it kind of funny how some people on this thread are getting worked up about the score too....  Its just a score/opinion of someone who works at Gamespot.  Deal with it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By yakov456

Hehe, I love it when a new Zelda game comes out. Always a guaranteed explosion from fans if it scores anything under a 9. Way to be predictable and hilarious.

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By ShadowDoGG

@yakov456:Better than bf3 and mw3 fanboys. Oh its another FPS and killing the game industry with these recycled nonsense. NO! Dice get back to Mirror's Edge - that was great!

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By ShadowDoGG

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I find it kind of funny how some people on this thread are getting worked up about the score too.... Its just a score/opinion of someone who works at Gamespot. Deal with it.

*sigh* again a person who really doesn't care because he has never played a Zelda game in his life. Why you in the Zelda forums then? He didn't realise motionplus was purely used for aiming. Thats the matter of it, imagine being frustrated about controls the entire way through a 30+ hour game simply because you got the wrong end of the stick. Quite possibly it was because he played twilight princess and that worked by the sensor bar when aiming.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShadowDoGG: I dont get why people just assume things because other people dont share the same interests.  Ive played a few Zelda games in my life and I really enjoyed the time I spent with those games.  Yeah I was just looking through the forums and I saw this thread.  Cool, he can put in an editor's note when he realizes his mistake.  Its just a damn score.  Its not going to cure cancer or grant you 3 wishes.  And stop posting like your opinions matter above everyone elses.  There are people here that enjoy FPS` believe it or not.   

God, fanboys really bug me
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By vidiot
    I am not currently playing Skyward Sword. 

...That being said, if I was playing this game, which I'm not, I would...Hypothetically...Not agree with this reviewers opinions about the controls.  
    I'm not exactly sure what he's doing wrong, if his issues are regards with the overall design with the combat, then yes: Z-Targeting most certainly has it's issues, and feels almost untouched from OoT
    All the original issues regarding the design of combat persist from that game to this one, a lot of original design mannerisms you have repeated before to defeat an enemy are back. 

But then there's this part: 

"The most pressing of these problems has to do with the fact that the game doesn't force you to move with precision."

Untrue. 
    Unless I'm (HYPOTHETICALLY) playing this game wrong, I'm honestly quite baffled by this statement. Enemies block frequently and the game requires you to do slashes around said blocked area. A basic example would be the stationary plant monsters. The only way to kill them is to slash in the direction the mouth is open.
    Something else that also bothers me, he begins by bringing up the issues of Skyward Swords combat by talking about fighting the Lizalfos. This is a bit of a nit-pick, but it makes it sound as if these are the first creatures you fight in the game, and that's not even close. I don't know why he's using this as his example for all general combat.  

True, there are times where the combat might not work 100% of the time. Is it enough to really complain about? I'm not sure. There's a lot that I'm reading here about specifically the combat that has me scratching my head in utter confusion. I would really like him to elaborate about this.

He does touch on some very real complaints about Skyward Sword, but I'm not (HYPOTHETICALLY) agreeing at all with statements like the formula is "beginning to show it's age". 
    There's a lot that has been changed in regards to the Zelda "formula". So much so that I've wondered (HYPOTHETICALLY) that people actually might be turned off by the lack of what's been considered traditional...Zelda...Ness...  

Of course like I initially stated: I am not currently playing Skyward Sword, so disregard everything I just have said. 

Also people getting worked up over scores are silly.  
    7.5 still amounts to a "Good". 
    Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh...a 7.5 isn't exactly unreasonable. The art style, seriously isn't really pulling me in. Go cell shaded all the way, or not at all. This, weird half-way done art colored scheme isn't really making me dance. Then....everything people have said about the story, is really....really dissapointing. ESPECIALLY after the masterpiece that was twilight princess. I know people hate on that game all the time, but it really is, the best 3d zelda. Ocarina had some issues of its own.

BUT! I have learned to never fully trust review scores anymore. Most people gave a completely broken game like dark souls 9s out of 10s, and no one really complained. Man...if only people would play a TRUE action-rpg like skyrim....

You know, looking back.....Every zelda game I've played that didn't have ganon in it one way or the other, isn't exactly on the top of my list of 'best games'. Take for example- the ds games and majoras mask. Both great games, but there really isn't anything THAT special about them, that brought chills down my spine like link to the past or twilight princess did.

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By ShadowDoGG

Fuck Skyrim - it is crap. First 5 minutes and I have to listen to some douche about how he is captured - I DO NOT CARE - let me fight something. Nintendo always do a good job on the games they do, they just don't do a plot - they do an adventure together. Of course, it would be nice to have HD graphics and Skyward Sword is pretty good when emulated in 1080p. Seems the real haters calling people Zelda fanboys are the Skyrim fanboys. Well, go play your shitty little game with never ending quests like a MMO.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#160  Edited By evanbower

His complaints do seem to contradict a lot of what I'm hearing elsewhere though, so I'm not sure what to make of that review. He has a problem with the controls, while Patrick called them "astounding." I don't. .. think they can be both. So I'm not upset about his review, I just don't really know what I'm supposed to do with what he is saying.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#161  Edited By evanbower

@Zenaxzd: To me personally, yes, that is exactly what it means. Why would I trust someone I don't even know compared to someone whose content I read every day?

I'm with you man. How else are you supposed to weigh contradictory statements about a game from two different people? Patrick has earned my trust from his work, and the other guy I haven't heard of, and works for the last site I would check for recommendations.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#162  Edited By Deusoma
    @jetsetwillie said:

they take the score soooooo seriously on SW. it's pretty fun in a childish school playground kinda way. would love to go across and stir some shit but i was banned a few month ago for continually shit stirring in religious topics.

I can't help but notice that this is actually a pretty good reason to ban someone.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#163  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@ShadowDoGG said:

Fuck Skyrim - it is crap. First 5 minutes and I have to listen to some douche about how he is captured - I DO NOT CARE - let me fight something. Nintendo always do a good job on the games they do, they just don't do a plot - they do an adventure together. Of course, it would be nice to have HD graphics and Skyward Sword is pretty good when emulated in 1080p. Seems the real haters calling people Zelda fanboys are the Skyrim fanboys. Well, go play your shitty little game with never ending quests like a MMO.

Wow. That is a perfect impression of the people in those comments! Congratulations!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#164  Edited By 71Ranchero

@ShadowDoGG: I agree with everything you have to say and find your comments to be reasonable and poignant.

Also I am a crazy liar.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#165  Edited By LordAndrew

This is even better than 8.8.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By MikkaQ

@LordAndrew said:

No, it's 1.3 worse, clearly. :B

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167  Edited By AuthenticM

Nintendo fanboys are the worst. On par with the Sega ones.

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By ShadowDoGG

This thread is obviously here to flame, so lets flame on!

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#169  Edited By Legend
    @XII_Sniper

@LordAndrew said:

No, it's 1.3 worse, clearly. :B

LOL
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#170  Edited By godzilla_sushi

@FreakAche said:

Considering the fact that on one of my more recent, unfortunate visits to Gamespot, I found people freaking out that Gamespot supposedly hates Nintendo because they gave Super Mario 3D Land an 8 or something, I'm sure the aftermath of this will be great.

I'm sure they love the traffic. Those folks will keep coming back in droves just to keep the "very important conversation on review scores" moving forward. ;)

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By superfriend

@ShadowDoGG said:

Yeah, there goes your credibility. You shall now and forever onward be known as a troll. BTW: You could mask your ignorance a little more elegantly next time, as it takes at least half an hour before you can "fight" in Skyward Sword too. As a matter of fact, Zelda games are not exactly known for their extreme high pace intro. Next time maybe, don´t bash the obvious targets (read: popular games) and your trolling might go unnoticed for a little while longer.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Karl_Boss

People look way to into review scores.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#173  Edited By project343

@Mikemcn said:

Exactly what a well produced, voice acting free, formulaic, RPG lite game should get. Other games have done what Zelda does every time it comes out, and done it better.

Coming out so close to Skyrim, I figure Zelda fans would take a hint: the series is dated and tired. The minute I heard that they removed a traditional overworld is the minute that I stopped caring. And I do dearly care about this franchise. I mean, I farking love Majora's Mask. I also think it's rather cute that the game got so much praise for... a fully orchestrated soundtrack? I mean, it's a huge step forward. But it's a huge step forward 5 years too late.

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By ShadowDoGG

@Superfriend: Er... excuse me, what forum are we in? Who keeps mentioning Skyrim? Zelda isn't even an RPG - its an action adventure. Skyrim is just an unfinished bug loathed game where they pay fan service out by just bringing out another game for the hell of it. Game so full of bugs doesn't deserve a perfect score - shows credibility of giant bomb i guess...

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Slow_pC

A 7.5 is still good but I didn't know that scores have to be the same across the board and that each reviewer has to be nice to Zelda. Even the game trailers review was not very positive to the game.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#176  Edited By shivermetimbers

Welcome to the internet.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By MideonNViscera

I played the demo the other day and it sucked shit. It's not enough to just flick your wrist to use the sword, I had to wave the damn thing back and forth and it clearly wasn't something worth doing 100000 times to complete a Zelda game.

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By ShadowDoGG

@Slow_pC said:

A 7.5 is still good but I didn't know that scores have to be the same across the board and that each reviewer has to be nice to Zelda. Even the game trailers review was not very positive to the game.

Meh, maybe if I start shooting people they will start listening. It is not the 7.5 score, it is his problems with the controls! The control problems he mentioned was because he didn't know motionplus was used for aiming! Therefore he played for however many hours - 'wrongly'

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#179  Edited By EightBitShik

I understand it is a low score but seriously? Did they listen the guy talked about how it's enjoyable, creative and had amazing moments and worth playing but he explained the things that bothered the shit out of him. I honestly think people should shut the hell up and listen to what he says and make a choice based on that not some whack ass score. I appreciate someone talking about shit that bothers him that doesn't make it perfect sounding because I'm sure as hell I would buy it if I had a Wii and then I'd say this game is great but "blah blah blah" really upset me and was annoying.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Azteck
    @ShadowDoGG said:

@Superfriend: Er... excuse me, what forum are we in? Who keeps mentioning Skyrim? Zelda isn't even an RPG - its an action adventure. Skyrim is just an unfinished bug loathed game where they pay fan service out by just bringing out another game for the hell of it. Game so full of bugs doesn't deserve a perfect score - shows credibility of giant bomb i guess...

I really have been trying to stay out of all this, but I just find this comment so hilariously ironic that I can't stop myself from pointing things out.

First of all, you were the one to bring up Skyrim as an argumentative point to begin with by saying "Fuck Skyrim" and the things that came after, followed by some pretty untrue things about it, such as it being riddled with bugs or being fan-service but you know, think what you will, no one can stop from thinking that even if you are factually wrong. However, all your credibility goes out the window when you attempt to further your point by A) Talking shit about a completely different game, which you yourself say shouldn't be taken into account when talking about Skyward Sword, and B) Insulting other people and so on. I'm going to have to agree with the guy, you are nothing more than a troll. Chill out and maybe you won't attract all the heat, unless that actually is your intended goal. It's hard to say at this point
    DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#181  Edited By DylanGW

I'm always confused when people get mad when a critic gives a game a lower score then what they would have given it. I mean do these people just read reviews to validate their own opinions? That seems silly to me; reviews are a conversation between critic and audience. It's differing opinions that makes them worth reading. If every critic and person had the same opinion on every game, what would be the point of reading reviews?

I like the game "Catherine", yet Jeff Gerstmann gave the game a 2/5. Do I think Jeff is stupid now? Am I mad at him? Of course not! How immature would that be? I'm glad he articulated his own position on the game, which highlights how his videogame preferences differ from mine. For me in particular, the fact that he disliked it makes the review worth reading. When I read a review, I treat it as a conversation between myself and the critic. Reading why Jeff disliked Catherine tells me something about what he values in a game, and tells me something about what I value in a game. Fans of Skyward Sword should be happy they have the opportunity to read a negative review for it helps inform why they like the game and other's don't. How boring it would be if every critic gave the game a 9/10.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By theveej

@Klei said:

Why do people react like if every zelda fan goes batshit over the 7.5 score? Only a handful of them are, and they're the one to post bullshit online. As for the 7.5 score, its just Tom's opinion, he hasn't stated many facts that bothers me all that much. I'm buying a Zelda game for, well, it to be a Zelda game. With boomerang, fire temple and whatnot. I don't want it to be some kind of next-gen spin off with stealth sequences, quick time events and finishers.

So, you see? It's the a matter of opinion. I read Tom's review and it's a pretty good review, but it's still his opinion. Look at MW3. I can't even touch this series anymore without laughing at how bad it looks/plays. Yet, it gets glowing scores. And it doesn't bother me ; it's just OPINIONS. If people love it, then by all means people, entertain yourselves!

It's time for people to, you know, grow up.

THERE IS NO BOOMERANG!!! WHAT DO YOU SAY NOW!???

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#183  Edited By Winternet

Been there. Done that.

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By ShadowDoGG

@Azteck: You mention why do I mention skyrim? Because it has been mentioned at least once every 3 pages of this thread. This is nothing about factual information on the review either as I do have the game (yes America - EUROPE has the game before you for once) and I can form my own opinion on it. I don't even want the game to get a 10/10 but it should certainly get a 8 or 8.5 as controls which he talk about are INVALID.

This game is far from perfect:

* no left handed mode

* no voice acting

* instructions often badly shown

* mini games seem to be around luck rather than skill

I could go on....

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By soldierg654342

I like how people are still acting surprised when this type of stuff happens. Pattern recognition, people.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By xyzygy

I just find it to be such a stark difference from the majority of reviews out there. It seems to me like he just wanted to make his review stand out. The vast majority of all other reviews absolutely glorify the combat and the direction the series is going in, but this review really just comes off as being a "Hey, we are serious about games and so come look at this review to get us more hits."

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#187  Edited By donutfever
    @SoldierG654342 said:

I like how people are still acting surprised when this type of stuff happens. Pattern recognition, people.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Simplexity

@ShadowDoGG: I'll give you no left handed mode and maybe voice acting, but it's not a big deal. From what I've played so far I have no had a problem with instructions or the mini games really.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

One of the worst reviews I've ever read, terribly written and boring. Ignored.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#190  Edited By Knives

Yeah, Zelda fans can be crazy, but I think they have a legit beef with this one. It's not a good review, at all. It makes Patrick's review look like Moby fucking Dick. But it's just a number, an outlier even. Before you criticize Zelda fans for defending their game so vehemently, remember that just as many people are going to site this very review as an argument against Zelda being a great franchise (which it undoubtably is), even though it is strongly contrary to consensus.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Dalai

If you take IGN's perfect 10 and Gamespot's 7.5, the average score rounds up to 8.8.

Food for thought.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#192  Edited By Jeffsekai

Jeff?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By jakob187

@Dalai said:

If you take IGN's perfect 10 and Gamespot's 7.5, the average score rounds up to 8.8.

Food for thought.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#194  Edited By Jeffsekai

@ArbitraryWater said:

@ShadowDoGG said:

Wow. That is a perfect impression of the people in those comments! Congratulations!

I know right? Fucking crazy people man.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By GunslingerPanda

5 hours in I really like the game, but pressing down to recalibrate the fucking cursor is getting annoying. This dude is talking shit about the controls though, combat's really good. I feel it's more of a 7.8.

And are people really bothered by a lack of voice acting?

samred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By samred

I just posted a Zelda review elsewhere with a 7.5 review score, oblivious to the fact that Gamespot took flak for doing the same thing.

I had weeks with the game, enough time to make sense of the game's total experience--the slow start, the improvements over time, and my inability to ever "adjust" to the controls, which I thought was indicative of MotionPlus's flawed implementation. I preferred to discuss those highs and lows with text rather than a point value, but my outlet requires numbers, and the point score I chose matches my views.

My review can be found here. My personal number scale philosophy can be found here at reddit. What do y'all think?

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#197  Edited By peacebrother

@Dalai said:

Food for thought.

No Caption Provided

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#198  Edited By imsh_pl

HOW DARE THEY

HOW DARE THEY

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wasn't actually upset by this until I decided to watch the video review on YouTube and saw the comments section, as well as the dislikes. What a pathetic bunch of people. What pisses me off the most are the people who say how he "ruined" this game's overall score, as if it matters at all. I hate that this is the reaction to even a slightly less positive review than others. As even this site is the result of, people can lose their jobs over negative reviews, and it seems that fanboys are all to eager to encourage reviewing outlets to treat certain series with kid gloves and get tilted opinions just for their franchise of choice.

Video games cannot be reviewed in a vacuum. Zelda, specifically, cannot be reviewed in a vacuum, as if no other video games have ever existed except other Zelda games. From the look of some of those comments you would think that's exactly what people expect reviewers to do.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#200  Edited By mikemcn

@GunslingerPanda said:

And are people really bothered by a lack of voice acting?

Yes, it's a fucked up holdout of ancient game design, Link doesn't even need to talk, just pull a Gordon Freeman and have the characters around him say something. You're out of your mind if you find reading line after line of text to be good storytelling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.