Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Tools of the Trade: The Witcher 3 & Combat

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

The Witcher series has always had its roots in careful deliberation, whether it's Geralt of Rivia's methodical nature as the titular monster-tracking Witcher - he's slow to trust and harder to fool - or the way he goes about preparing for each of the centerpiece creature hunts. I've yet to read any of the Witcher novels by Andrzej Sapkowski, but meticulousness seems to be core to the monster-hunter profession given the games' amount of focus on oils, bombs, Signs, potions and the various complex rules of how monsters came into being and how they can be sent along their way, based on what I understand to be a mix of Slavic folklore and Sapkowski's own imagination.

What results is a combat engine that has, in the past, been as riveting as often as it is needlessly complex, though it appears last year's The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has finally perfected the system - third time being the charm, and all. In any decent RPG, whenever the player crashes and burn against a powerful foe they have back-up options to consider when they reload. If they're not used to parrying or evasion for defense, they can also fall back on the Quen sign for additional protection. If they're not doing enough damage to a specific undead creature, there's oils to put on your weapon to enhance damage against that enemy type, or it might have a severe weakness to fire to exploit - in which case, a bomb or the Igni sign is your answer. When playing on higher difficulties where it's not always feasible (let alone sensible) to jump right in with your steel or silver sword, these back-up strategies are ever more vital. While the added amount of consideration won't be for everyone, I find it's the best way to bridge an action-RPG like The Witcher with something of a more tactical bent, like the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale series. I would often reload a battle after watching one or more of my characters fall (which can be expensive to recover from, though Pillars of Eternity found an ingenious way to keep party members in the fight for longer with their HP system) and consider a new strategy with the spells and items I had squirreled away for an emergency.

Despite appearances, Witcher 3 stands head and shoulders above many of its action-RPG contemporaries. It's definitely some necks level shit! (Sorry, I forgot to add jokes to the main body of text. It's way too obvious that this one came off the top of my dome.)
    Despite appearances, Witcher 3 stands head and shoulders above many of its action-RPG contemporaries. It's definitely some necks level shit! (Sorry, I forgot to add jokes to the main body of text. It's way too obvious that this one came off the top of my dome.)

For now, let's put aside the accoutrements of the Witcher profession and focus on the swords. Even here, the player has a multitude of options. There's two types of evasion, first and foremost: a quick dodge that narrowly misses an incoming blow, allowing you to quickly counter, or a roll that gets some distance between you and the enemy. Both are required for different fights in different measures: a larger foe is more likely to send out AoE shockwave attacks, which necessitates the roll to stay out of their range. A drowner zombie leaping straight at you, conversely, just requires a quick side-step to avoid, and you're right at its flank for some quick attacks. Getting around to the back of an enemy with the dodge allows you to score some free critical hits. When they're flanking you, it's going to take a couple of rolls to get back on the outside perimeter of the enemy group. Just having these two ways to evade enemies alone adds a lot to one's approach (or, I suppose, temporary departure). Then there's the parry, which works best against human foes who telegraph their swings, and the combination of light and heavy attacks: the light ones are faster and more likely to land before the enemy can start blocking, though the heavy ones do more damage.

Oils are the standard combat buffs, either adding a flat bonus damage rate against a specific enemy type or adding a status effect such as burning, freezing, poison or stunning. Each oil recipe has to be found in the wild (or bought at a herbalist vendor) and then created via alchemy, at which point it'll have a permanent slot in the alchemy tab of your inventory - the game's system for replacing lost potions simply consists of meditating with at least one bottle of alcohol, rather than finding all the ingredients again. Witcher potions are a little more diverse and usually provide benefits that are equally useful in and out of combat. They might enhance the player's stamina recovery, health recovery, attack speed or overall damage output, but also exploratory benefits like breathing underwater or seeing in total darkness (torches do the latter too, but they give your position away to creatures in the vicinity). Like the oils, you need to find new recipes by exploring, so I haven't quite got the full breadth of what they offer as of yet. Most of the potions and oils have generous time limits before they wear off, so the player can use a few - but only a few, as there's a (justified in-game) toxicity to Witcher potions that dissuades players from drinking their entire collection at the same time - before triggering whatever imminent encounter requires them.

The game's use of radial menus makes it easy to switch Signs on the fly, though that doesn't mean I don't occasionally panic and try to Igni a charging bear. I've found that bears don't slow down when they're on fire, and in fact it just makes things worse.
    The game's use of radial menus makes it easy to switch Signs on the fly, though that doesn't mean I don't occasionally panic and try to Igni a charging bear. I've found that bears don't slow down when they're on fire, and in fact it just makes things worse.

Next are the Signs. Signs are ingenious just in terms of a form of magic usage that is complementary to a melee attacker build alone. In D&D-based games, as well as the occasional RPG that offers "spellsword" or "mage knight" (or Final Fantasy's Red Mage, even) hybrid classes, it can be fairly challenging to make an effective build that seamlessly blends magic use and close-quarters combat. Often, you're left with a character that uses a finite array of magic at range and can then rely on a smattering of melee skills whenever enemies get too close, making them less specialized than a mage or a fighter but far more versatile. Clerics often fall into this combat role too, bolstered with the often crucial ability to heal others. Since the Witcher only has the one character, it's down to the player how much they want to make Geralt a pure damage-dealing fighter with skills that boost his defense and offense, or to consider a stronger investment in his Signs, which become more powerful spell-like options with enough points. Even on their base level, though, Signs offer a lot in terms of battle strategy. As well as the aforementioned Quen, which provides a temporary shield that can save Geralt from a single but potentially critical blow, there's the short-range fire spell Igni, the mind-twisting Axii, the non-elemental telekinetic blast Aard and the magical snare Yrden. Yrden's best employed against spectral foes who can otherwise create a problem by going non-corporeal though it can also be used to slow down any enemy that walks into its range, Axii's stunning effect can create an opening for Geralt's blades, Igni's best against foes with fire vulnerability or those standing next to explosive barrels - funnily enough, most enemies are weak to explosions if not much else - while Aard works best against crowds, as it's able to send people sprawling on their asses at higher levels.

Still, these are rudimentary examples of how the five Signs can be used, and doesn't cover the fact that each has an "alternate" mode that offers a more powerful version of the Sign but also tends to be riskier for the sake of balance. Presently, I'm rocking a form of Quen that ceases to be a passive shield that sticks around for a few seconds to one that you have to actively use to see any benefit; the upside being that each hit taken while the shield is active not only blocks the attack but recovers Geralt's health by the amount of damage he would've otherwise accrued. When every hit normally takes off a third of the health bar (on the highest difficulty! The game can be made far more reasonable!) and healing supplies are limited, costly and take some time to work, this variant of Quen is exceptionally useful. Igni is transformed into a focused flamethrower stream rather than an arc which lowers its effective range but does more damage, making it best suited for one-on-one fights. Axii will charm enemies instead of simply stunning them, though takes longer to cast and becomes far less effective when there's only one foe left to slay. Yrden turns into a turret rather than a ring of glyphs on the ground and attack anything that gets in range including projectiles, which simply get disintegrated. Aard is a big shockwave with an area of effect that surrounds Geralt rather than simply covering an arc in front of him, though the percentage chance to knock-down foes is significantly smaller. These alternate modes all become available at the same time thanks to the way that the game covers skill progression - you only need so many points in one "tree", such as Signs, combat or alchemy, to make all the skills on the next tier available for upgrading - and essentially doubles the amount of tactical options they provide. If anything, Signs might actually be too powerful in The Witcher 3, but you won't hear me complaining. Use 'em if you got 'em.

They aren't just whistlin' Axii: Signs can be some overpowering business in the right hands. Or the wrong hands, even.
    They aren't just whistlin' Axii: Signs can be some overpowering business in the right hands. Or the wrong hands, even.

It's easy to write off The Witcher 3's combat if you're unfamiliar with the series, because it looks like every other Action-RPG or Batman-style brawler with its use of evasion and striking when an opportunity presents itself. The swordplay itself is rarely more sophisticated than hammering the fast attack button when the enemy drops its guard. Yet there's a hint of the old games' complexity with the number of options the player can fall back on when the rubber hits the road, and if nothing else there's always more than one way to take on a group of monsters if you're just looking for a bit of variety in an open-world game that might potentially take over a hundred hours to beat.

I don't see myself ever tiring of it, though I suppose my tune might change by this time next week. I just wanted to give it its due though; short of a Souls game, it's the most fun I've had with an action-RPG combat engine in a long while, and it's largely because there's a constant drip of new tactics and new monster strategies to work around. That's definitely a rare and coveted thing in this day and age of simplified mechanics.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I also think the combat is fantastic. You did a good job expressing why I like it in a nuts and bolts way. Big upgrade from the past games combat. It's one of those mechanical aspects of the game where I don't agree with the criticisms I've heard from some (mostly on this site).

My personal favorite part of it all is the meditation system in how it lets you replenish your items. For me it was a great twist vs the usual RPG item issues, where many are generally afraid to use one use items. I found the ability to replenish your stuff easily how W3 allows very refreshing and freeing. Also added into the methodical feel of Witching as a professional job. A real professional would operate that way.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, your opinion on the Witcher 3's combat couldn't be further from my own. I thought it was complete trash. It was neither challenging nor fun, just frustrating and easy. But to each their own.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Until halfway this blog I thought it was a sarcastic piece, but I guess you really did like it eh?
    The combat was the weak point for me, after a few hours I lowered the difficulty so the combat wouldn't bother me as much anymore and I could enjoy the stories.

You basically only had 1 weapon type in the game and 2 different attacks. Finding a specific oil in your inventory and put it on your weapon was a hassle, especially since you had to do this before the fight when you didn't even know the enemy type most of the time (they did change this in a later patch I believe).
    Actually the whole movement and controls felt sluggish and unresponsive (lots of time the button prompts wouldn't pop up and if they did you still had to press 2 or 3 times before it did anything).
    I bet coming freshly from Bloodborne didn't help either.

I still think The Witcher 3 is a great game, but if the gameplay was on par with the story and graphics it would've been so much more amazing.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#4 Mento  Moderator

@dussck: I have heard horror stories about how sluggish the game was early on. I have no basis of comparison, having started it with the most recent patch installed (v1.12) just a few days ago, but the combat and movement's been smooth enough for me. Also, I could absolutely see the combat being a repetitive drag on lower difficulties, because without that tension of getting killed by a few (un)lucky hits it would get a bit samey after a few hours.

Still, maybe this blog reads more like a "Dr. Signlove or: How I Learned to Actually Look Through Menus for Other Ways to Fight in RPGs" personal coming-of-age story than a paean for The Witcher 3 specifically. Coming off of Bloodborne last month (with a Platinum trophy no less, so it's safe to say I probably overdid it), hasn't diminished my enjoyment of Witcher 3 too much though; while W3's climactic fights are obviously nowhere near as exciting, it has a lot more of everything else to buoy it, especially with regards to script and story. Bloodborne definitely made me miss playing RPGs with NPCs that didn't just mumble and laugh maniacally. (Or, you know, try to cut my head off.)

Incidentally, you are definitely not alone in your view. As well as @brackstone's expression of distaste in the comment above even Rorie's mentioned before now that he dropped off W3 because of its gameplay, and that guy's like the biggest CRPG dork around here (well, now that Dave Snider's gone).

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I didn't hate it, but I do think it was one of the weak parts of the game.

But in a narrative driven experience that can last for 100 hours for some. almost no combat system is going to be robust enough. At that point you'll need something that rivals Devil may cry (or any of those other character driven action games). That is my problem now. the system is servicable, but it gets old cause of the fact that it has to be stretched so far. There could of been ways to pad it out over longer but I do feel it could use work.

Still leagues better then what is in Skyrim.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think I agree with you... In concept. There's something amazing about what the combat is trying to do, and I respect it for doing it, but it just didn't feel good. In my experience with it, at least. The combat is what drove me to quit playing and gift my copy to my brother after only a few hours in. I could tell it has all the parts of the game people keep heaping praise upon, it just never clicked for me and I think the combat is probably the primary culprit for that.

I do kind of envy people like who who do "get" it, though. As much as I hated it, I also really wanted to love it.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By edgaras1103

@mento: to be fair,, what was the last rpg Rorie did finish?

I'm in the camp who liked the combat enough, it never hampered my enjoyment of other stuff in W3. And that other stuff is leaps and bounds better than in 90% of modern games. And I'm the guy where good combat is the least important part for me in a game. I liked the momentum based controls and combat, it felt weighty to me. But then again I like the controls in GTA5 and a lot of people have problems with it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

I didn't love the combat, but I think it has to be one of the best for the type of game it is for sure. I enjoyed it enough. I wish there were bigger boss-like battles though. It was the most fun I think when you are a couple of levels below a fiend, and you fight those.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Love the combat in the Witcher 3. It feels like a beautiful dance to me.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm shocked to see so many people in this thread didn't enjoy the combat. I've just recently started playing The Witcher 3 (finally!) after having various circumstances that caused me to put off it off for nearly a year after having bought it at launch. As such, I stayed as blind as I could in that time, not really reading any reviews or listening to discussions about it. Of course I knew it had a great response, but the specifics of peoples' praise and criticisms was something I wasn't familiar with.

Having played an unhealthy amount of this game over the past week or so, to say I've been blown away is an understatement. It's been years since I've enjoyed a game this much, and the combat is one of the many things about it I've been absolutely loving, for all the reasons given in this blog. I'm genuinely surprised some people didn't like the combat, especially considering the combat in other content rich open world RPGs (looking at you Bethesda) is nowhere near as good in comparison.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Atwa

@brackstone said:

Man, your opinion on the Witcher 3's combat couldn't be further from my own. I thought it was complete trash. It was neither challenging nor fun, just frustrating and easy. But to each their own.

Just curious, not saying you are wrong, but what difficulty did you play on?

I found the combat really boring at the lower settings, but once I turned it up and really had to use the potions, the signs and the combat to its fullest, it really works. And I completed almost every single monster contract, because I had so much fun with it. Until the last third of the game, where everything is so easy that it kinda becomes automatic.

Still, I think the combat works so well. Firstly, considering how Geralt's fighting style is in the books described as almost dance like, I think they have managed to make a game of it really well. Second, compare it to what other games in the genre are doing, games like Skyrim where the combat is just a complete after thought, and The Witcher 3's combat looks incredible in comparison. Which sure, might seem as a cop out, but I still think its relevant considering how much there is in the game, and still managing to have combat that a lot of people find fun is truly special.

Just my opinion, but I do think that The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPG's ever made, so maybe I am biased.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By IamTerics

For me the combat was good enough. Personally I just prefer actiony combat over traditional turnbased combat and W3 combat is really good all things considered. Its also paced really well, in that grinding isn't needed(or possible?) and fights are quick.

Though something about it didn't feel right. Its either the input delay, the framerate, the weird impact of the moves, or the combination of all of those. And lets not forget the skill system, which I actually wouldn't mind if I could just set like 3 builds and switch them on the fly. All of these kinda make it less enjoyable. Didn't help that I originally played it next to MGSV.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

act

Same here. Pretty much had to will myself to go on. I eventually broke a few quests into the Kaer Morhen act and never returned. Never even bothered checking the wiki or YouTube to see how the game ended. If I had to describe the combat I would say it felt like as if I was pulling on strings that were attached to the limbs of a character who wanted to do something else. Didn't help that the game also has very frustrating input lag.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads:

I must agree. I love the combat, and I also disagree with many who don't care for it.

I hope CD Projekt doesn't make any huge changes to the systems in the future, because I think W3 is the perfect game.
    I'm getting emotional just thinking about it.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the combat. Really felt like a dance, like you where controlling someone who has actually spent most of their life honing their sword fighting abilities.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@atwa said:
    @brackstone said:

Just curious, not saying you are wrong, but what difficulty did you play on?

I found the combat really boring at the lower settings, but once I turned it up and really had to use the potions, the signs and the combat to its fullest, it really works. And I completed almost every single monster contract, because I had so much fun with it. Until the last third of the game, where everything is so easy that it kinda becomes automatic.

Still, I think the combat works so well. Firstly, considering how Geralt's fighting style is in the books described as almost dance like, I think they have managed to make a game of it really well. Second, compare it to what other games in the genre are doing, games like Skyrim where the combat is just a complete after thought, and The Witcher 3's combat looks incredible in comparison. Which sure, might seem as a cop out, but I still think its relevant considering how much there is in the game, and still managing to have combat that a lot of people find fun is truly special.

Just my opinion, but I do think that The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPG's ever made, so maybe I am biased.

Here is the problem I think for many with increasing the difficulty to make the combat "better": this is a really long game. Increasing the difficulty means having to put even more effort into combat a lot of people already don't like. A lot of people also don't like the way the game gets more difficult, or just don't like so many core aspects of the combat. Playing on a higher difficulty doesn't necessarily address these fundamental issues. I don't really think that's the right solution for many. One other thing from my perspective: the game already had other issues with pacing, and thus the last thing I wanted to make the game longer for myself.

One of my friends found the game to be more enjoyable by playing on easy just to get through the combat faster. There's a pretty good video that was featured on Kotaku at one point discussing this point of view (ignore the negative comments, a lot of people just don't like his perspective).

I one hundred percent get both perspectives mind you, because it's entirely up to what individual players want in a combat system. To elaborate, I liked Witcher 3, but didn't love it. I'd call it a 4/5 game for me, but I also get why it so highly regarded to many.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

While it's not my favorite combat system, I never found myself hating it. I mostly focused on 2 or 3 signs and that got me through most fights.

The one thing that I really like about the system is the preparation aspect. I love games where you have an advantage because you thought ahead. In Witcher 3, that mostly includes taking a few minutes to pick the right weapons & armor, apply the right oils to swords and make sure you have the right bombs before going into some of the bigger encounters.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The Witcher 3's combat was at its best when you were hunting a big monster that required a certain strategy that was more or less explained in its bestiary. So you'd know you need a certain sign, a certain potion, a certain oil, and in general spamming sword would not achieve the desired result. The Witcher 3's combat was at its worst when you're just rolling around trying to find an angle that neekers or bandits won't dodge or waiting for a spell to recharge so you can get the shield guy to drop his guard again.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: I beat the entire game, all sidequests and contracts included, on Death March. I found even then, I rarely had to use all the tools at my disposal. 90% of fights I beat with just my sword. I don't think I ever used a decoction other than the one that let me carry more. Honestly, that's been the big flaw with all the witcher games, that 90% of all your problems are solvable with your sword alone, no need for oils or bombs, rarely for signs, just a couple healing potions.

The only time I every had any difficulty with the fights was when Geralt would decide not to enter combat mode, and I'd be walking around without my sword while enemies wailed on me. This was the worst when there was any sort of fight inside a house, or immediately following a cutscene, because Geralt just straight up wouldn't draw his sword until like 15 seconds after he should have.

But that's the ultimate problem with Witcher combat, it looks cool, at the expense of gameplay. 3 has the same issue 2 had, but to a slightly lesser extent, which is that you have no control over Geralt's animations. He has a bunch of different animations for just his quick attacks, with all sorts of different timings and ranges, which means you can't reliably use this to interrupt enemy attacks, or you get easily interrupted when he uses a slow animation, while you wanted a fast one. Again, 2 was much worse for this (in 2 some attack animations just straight up did more damage), but it still happened in 3.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone:
    I love the fact that this game prioritizes animation over control. One of my favorite aspects of the Witcher series is the fact it looks so cool while you're playing it. After all you are playing as Geralt, not a user created character, which really makes it click for me. As @dimi3je said, it actually feels like your playing as someone who's an excellent sword fighter. I understand this comes down to preference, but personally, I love it.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the combat in Witcher 3 was effective given the setting and what it was going for. As someone who did a lot of sabre fencing in college I feel like it gets at the dance of combat in way that a lot of other melee games systems don't. While you obviously would never roll in fencing there is something to be said for knowing when to parry, when to block,when to make a slight side-step, and when to make a more exaggerated retreat and that's at the heart of The Witcher's combat system and it goes to the character of who Geralt is and why Witchers are seen the way they are in that world.

I think it suffered a bit coming out not too far off from Bloodborne so comparisons to Souls style combat are inevitable (and fair to make). Souls games have dodges and parries too obviously but it's handled very differently. For all the talk of how difficult those games are they're actually pretty simplistic and gamey from a defensive perspective because of how windows of invincibility work (iframes and being locked in riposte or backstab animation invulnerability). The Witcher is less forgiving and that's good or bad depending on what you want out of melee combat.

Personally I have more fun with Souls type combat but there's something to the dance of Witcher 3's combat that I really appreciate too and I think what they implemented in the game was the right choice for what they were going for. It has it's own brand of strategic depth that fits its setting really well. I do wish at times that the controls were more responsive and communicative especially in relation to parries. Timing on parries feels off to me at times verses what my opponent is doing. Think at time they stick too many enemies on screen at once and at those moments it stops being about dueling and turns into a brawl that isn't always compelling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.