Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Slowing Wii sales might lead to price cut,

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind
    The Wii may still look to be dominating the consoles charts, but the truth is its unit sales are down by as much as 50% year-over-year. Because of this drop in sales, Nintendo will most likely consider a holiday price cut. At least according to Michael Pachter.

Said the Wedbush Morgan analyst, "We believe Nintendo will be more promotional, and will consider price cuts in order to increase sales during the holidays." They also expect a steady flow of sales, thanks to the upcoming Motion Plus peripheral add-on, and new games like Wii Fit Plus, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

http://wii.qj.net/Nintendo-low-sales-may-lead-to-Wii-holiday-price-cut/pg/49/aid/133339

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't think so, not this season. Wii Sports will kick up sales I think. Nintendo will reduce the price next holiday season, once a Black Wii comes out in the West at full price.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThomasP
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I don't think so, not this season. Wii Sports will kick up sales I think. Nintendo will reduce the price next holiday season, once a Black Wii comes out in the West at full price. "
    This sounds a little more logical. The "analysts" continue to fail.
    Tsupu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tsupu

Well it certainly should.  The Wii is grossly overpriced.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By c_rakestraw

I don't see it happening. The president of Nintendo said that they wouldn't cut the price because it would only be a temporary fix. I imagine they still stand by that, so I doubt they'll cut the price this year.

I think we should see how well they do during the holiday season this year before we start speculating when they'll cut the price. If they're successful, then they'll probably stay at the current price point. But if aren't, then a price cut may be able to help them -- even if it is for a short time.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Not happening anytime soon. Nintendo will swim in money this holiday with the Wii and Wii Fit Plus.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

Hey, Nintendo! Are you reading this? If you are, I wanna let you know I will totally buy a Wii if you cut the price. I promise; I'll sign a contract if you want me to, or swear an oath. You've got a +1 right here.

God I hope Pachter's right on this one. I'm pretty much resigned to this, though. I've made up my mind that I'm going to wait for a price drop, both for the PS3 and for the Wii. In fact, I dare say whichever one is first will be the one I go for.

I want to get my No More Heroes and Mario Galaxy on so bad. Come on, Nintendo. Price drop and I buy a Wii right here. And I'll buy like 10 games for it. Think of the attach rate. Think of it. Are you thinking of it yet?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

If a Wii price drop does come, i'd probably pick one up. For "casual" games and for the rare gems it does have; especially with the Fatal Frame 4 fan-translation almost being complete.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @Atlas said:
    " Hey, Nintendo! Are you reading this? If you are, I wanna let you know I will totally buy a Wii if you cut the price. I promise; I'll sign a contract if you want me to, or swear an oath. You've got a +1 right here.God I hope Pachter's right on this one. I'm pretty much resigned to this, though. I've made up my mind that I'm going to wait for a price drop, both for the PS3 and for the Wii. In fact, I dare say whichever one is first will be the one I go for.I want to get my No More Heroes and Mario Galaxy on so bad. Come on, Nintendo. Price drop and I buy a Wii right here. And I'll buy like 10 games for it. Think of the attach rate. Think of it. Are you thinking of it yet? "

lol

It would be nice a price drop... but with nintendo you never know.

They make the most awkward decisions...
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne
    @Jeust said:
    They make the most awkward decisions... "
    If by "awkward decisions" you mean "marketing moves of incredible genius", then yes.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CowMuffins

It's sad they can sell so many consoles with so few good games.

Tsupu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tsupu
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Jeust said:
    They make the most awkward decisions... "
    If by "awkward decisions" you mean "marketing moves of incredible genius", then yes. "
    Like the brilliant marketing of the Virtual Boy?  Or how about the marketing of the N64 and GC?  Nintendo took a shot in the dark this gen and hoped for the best, the Wii was a lucky hail mary pass that paid off, that was only made because they knew if they made another traditional console they would get creamed again.  The current refusal to drop the price, and the poor games lineup in my region (North America) are fueled by arrogance and ego, the same things that ended up costing them the market post-SNES, and will cost them the market again post-Wii.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust

And what about the move of using catriges in the N64, or their own optical disks in the gamecube with less capacity?

Pure genious... :p

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    " And what about the move of using catriges in the N64, or their own optical disks in the gamecube with less capacity?Pure genious... :p "
    Piracy wasn't much of an issue on the Gamecube or the N64.  It really isn't that bad.  Even though the N64 and Gamecubes didn't dominate, they were still profitable for Nintendo.  In terms game sales alone, the Gamecube must have turned a profit over 2 billion dollars.   That is an understatement of calculations.  They loads of games which have sold for millions. Each game was probably more profitable than the N64.  Also take note, Nintendo was competing with Sony's PS1 and PS2, the latter being perhaps the best console ever.  Its not that Nintendo had a bad marketing arm, Sony was better.  Excluding the Dreamcast, The Gamecube was cheapest console at launch and at the end of the cycle and argulably the least powerful console and cheapest to produce but Sony still outdid them.

In addition, The Xbox was the most powerful console of the last generation but sold just as many gamecubes.  It was priced the same as the PS2.  It had more features that a PS2 could do such as play rip CDs, play your own choice of music.  In addition, it had established a centeral online system.

The PS2 only had two controller ports while everyone else had 4, including the dreamcast.  The PS2 didn't have anti-aliasing unlike every other console, including the dreamcast.  The PS2 didn't have texture mapping of all the other consoles, including the dreamcast.  The Dualshock didn't have analog triggers like every other console.

It has very little to do with hardware.  It is all about software.  The PS2 could play PS1 games, ensuring that it had a good line up games to have.  It has always been software, not about hardware.  People play games to play software, not for the hardware.
    leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By leeto

Wait until Wii Sports Resort comes out and then get back to me on those slowing Wii sales.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

Well seeing as they are still selling thousands of the things, i would imagine a 50 percent decrease wont do too much harm, but resort will pick things up.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Maybe sales are slowing down because everyone on Earth has a Wii. I know I have a Wii. =P

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool

I think an official price drop is unlikely, knowing the history of Nintendo.

However, there has been a LOT of promotional pricing in Australia lately.  It is normally $400 and it has been on sale for $350 a lot, which it has not been since launch.  Plus, there have been any number of premium pack promotions.  One of them was the Wii with Wii Fit at just an extra $20, or about a $130 discount.  Most of the others are extra games, sometimes as many as 4 extra games, some decent.

I see this as the continuing strategy this year at least.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Godwind

This could be a sign that people don't think there is a decent stream of content.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By damnboyadvance

...And how many stories have I seen about this?

I remember Nintendo saying they wouldn't cut the price, but I have to say Nintendo said they wouldn't do many things, yet eventually they ended up doing them.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind: 

true... but security isn't everything. 

it seriously handicaped the games due to space constraints, especially in the N64.

That and the lack of support for the console, were key points during the lifetime of the console.

@damnboyadvance said:
    " ...And how many stories have I seen about this?I remember Nintendo saying they wouldn't cut the price, but I have to say Nintendo said they wouldn't do many things, yet eventually they ended up doing them. "
    It's nothing personal... it's just business. :p

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By captain_clayman

wii sports resort is coming out in 2 days.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

I don't know if Resort will give Wii a shot in the arm or not.  Will casuals care about higher fidelity gameplay?  We know hardcore games don't budge on Wii.

It's not completely necessary for Wii to have a price drop right now, but if sales continue to slump, there may become a point where it's too late for Nintendo to cut the price to regain momentum.  Basically if 360 or PS3 start outselling Wii worldwide, it's time to cut immediately for Nintendo, not quite there yet.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
    @Godwind: Nintendo still have a huge lead over the other consoles. I personally think that no matter what Sony or Microsoft do they will not pass Nintendo this generation. Hey, Nintendo might have a huge selection of...Shovelware...as you so beautifully put it, but they still appeal to people that are not hard core gamers and thats a huge advantage. My mother and father-in-law were here not too long ago and we all set down and played Wii sports and he actually said that he liked and might get the system, a 64 year old. 

I might not agree on the direction they took this generation but I do respect the fact that they will not compromise on their vision. They set out a goal and by god they are sticking to it. 
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    "
    @Godwind: 

it seriously handicaped the games due to space constraints, especially in the N64.

That and the lack of support for the console, were key points during the lifetime of the console.

"
    Keep in mind that the Playstation is the only console that had been successful with using the CD technology.  Every console that used CD based technology flopped.  Sega CD, Turbo Graphx CD, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast (which used double density CDs), Philips CD-i, Apple Pippin NeoGeo CD and et cetera.  The idea to not model themselves after failures isn't a terrible thing.  Also keep in mind that storage space isn't everything.  BluRay hasn't quite on quickly for video gaming, it hasn't been fully tapped and teh PS3 is still getting its ass kicked by the Xbox360 and Wii.  The UMD never caught on and the DS still uses cartidges.

There are some frustrations with people not being able to use their Gamecube as a DVD player.  That is part of what pulled me to buy a PS2.

@Mordukai said:
    " @Godwind: Nintendo still have a huge lead over the other consoles. I personally think that no matter what Sony or Microsoft do they will not pass Nintendo this generation. Hey, Nintendo might have a huge selection of...Shovelware...as you so beautifully put it, but they still appeal to people that are not hard core gamers and thats a huge advantage. My mother and father-in-law were here not too long ago and we all set down and played Wii sports and he actually said that he liked and might get the system, a 64 year old. 

I might not agree on the direction they took this generation but I do respect the fact that they will not compromise on their vision. They set out a goal and by god they are sticking to it. 
    "

We don't measure a console against the crap it has.  No one talks about the crap software on the PS2.  We talk about the quality titles, the killer apps that drive us to keep and support the console.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond
    @Godwind said:
    Keep in mind that the Playstation is the only console that had been successful with using the CD technology.  Every console that used CD based technology flopped.  Sega CD, Turbo Graphx CD, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast (which used double density CDs), Philips CD-i, Apple Pippin NeoGeo CD and et cetera.  The idea to not model themselves after failures isn't a terrible thing.
    The failures of CD-based add-on platforms like Sega CD, or crappy platforms like 3D0 / CDi had nothing at all to do with Nintendo's decision to not have a CD drive in the N64.  It also had nothing to do with why those systems failed at all.

N64 would have been more successful as a CD based system, but Nintendo probably wouldn't have made as much money that way, and that's what Nintendo is especially good at.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind said:
    " @Jeust said:
    "
    @Godwind: 

"
    Keep in mind that the Playstation is the only console that had been successful with using the CD technology.  Every console that used CD based technology flopped.  Sega CD, Turbo Graphx CD, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast (which used double density CDs), Philips CD-i, Apple Pippin NeoGeo CD and et cetera.  The idea to not model themselves after failures isn't a terrible thing.  Also keep in mind that storage space isn't everything.  BluRay hasn't quite on quickly for video gaming, it hasn't been fully tapped and teh PS3 is still getting its ass kicked by the Xbox360 and Wii.  The UMD never caught on and the DS still uses cartidges.

There are some frustrations with people not being able to use their Gamecube as a DVD player.  That is part of what pulled me to buy a PS2.

@Mordukai said:
    " @Godwind: Nintendo still have a huge lead over the other consoles. I personally think that no matter what Sony or Microsoft do they will not pass Nintendo this generation. Hey, Nintendo might have a huge selection of...Shovelware...as you so beautifully put it, but they still appeal to people that are not hard core gamers and thats a huge advantage. My mother and father-in-law were here not too long ago and we all set down and played Wii sports and he actually said that he liked and might get the system, a 64 year old. 

"
    We don't measure a console against the crap it has.  No one talks about the crap software on the PS2.  We talk about the quality titles, the killer apps that drive us to keep and support the console. "
    Don't forget the Saturn, that was ridding high at the time.

True that the newer technologies present risks, but the use of the cd wasn't the reason those systems failed, as Playstation 1 and 2, and to some extent saturn have proven.

The problem was the support from developpers. With crappy games, no matter how wonderful any system is, it will still tank.

Though it protected them against piracy, it was bad move, even because, to the amazement of many, including myself, many games in the N64 were worst than the playstation ones.

That shift quickly the gaming market.

@Diamond
     said: 
    @Godwind said: 
    Keep in mind that the Playstation is the only console that had been successful with using the CD technology.  Every console that used CD based technology flopped.  Sega CD, Turbo Graphx CD, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast (which used double density CDs), Philips CD-i, Apple Pippin NeoGeo CD and et cetera.  The idea to not model themselves after failures isn't a terrible thing.
    The failures of CD-based add-on platforms like Sega CD, or crappy platforms like 3D0 / CDi had nothing at all to do with Nintendo's decision to not have a CD drive in the N64.  It also had nothing to do with why those systems failed at all.N64 would have been more successful as a CD based system, but Nintendo probably wouldn't have made as much money that way, and that's what Nintendo is especially good at. "
    Incredible enough the catriges were more expensive than the cds, being only faster transfering data.

That's why it was a bad call.
    BlameTheGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlameTheGame

I bought it when it was overpriced, didn't like it and will never buy it again. Unless they release a way for you to play without motion controls.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Willy105

Actually, the move against CD's was costlier, not cheaper. They did that because it was a lot harder to pirate a cartridge game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
    @Jeust said:
    Incredible enough the catriges were more expensive than the cds, being only faster transfering data.

That's why it was a bad call

Not for Nintendo.  The cost of building new plants for making CDs would have been costlier than maintaining their cart building plants.  This also gave them more power over 3rd parties (because another company would have had to build the CD factories).  They just passed the cart cost onto the customer anyways.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Godwind

I think its clear Nintendo is losing momentum.  They are developing a black Wii to rejuvenate sales in Japan.  In addition they are building some new features for the consoles to maintain interest.  They should offer some more free stuff, even it isn't great.  Free stuff always seems nice to receive.  Of course I am talking about new free channels.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jeust
    @Diamond:

Yep, you're right!

But in the long run this move was possibly costlier than making the jump into cd... who really knows???

Cheers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.