Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Why do people think 2008 was a bad year for the Wii

• 74 results
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By damnboyadvance

2008 was actually a GOOD year for Nintendo. BUT, only financially, plus E3 sucked. Here's 3 simple reasons summing up why 2008 was a bad year for Nintendo.

• Too many casual games. Nintendo had no attempt to please the hardcore gamers.
    • E3 sucked. They wasted it on kiddy shit. They seriously didn't show any hardcore games.
    • WAY TOO MANY REMAKES. Plus half of the remakes sucked. They mainly introduced motion controls, and then not much more, if any more. Seriously, the only major new things in, lets see, Animal Crossing City Folk, was the motion controls and the city. The motion controls didn't add much and the city is too small.

They did have some good games in the beggining of the year, such as Super Smash Bros Brawl, but everything after E3 was horrible. No matter how excited you got about some of the games, they weren't good games. The only thing holding them up much now is third-party support.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By JebranRush

From that list on the front page, I bought 10 games. From this year, I have bought zero.

I don't know, but the quality of games this year so far have gone up, compared to last year. And there's more of them. But last year had some good titles I was really interested in.

That, and I have less time to play games now. :P

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By TheHBK

Lots of multiplatform where the game was done better on the 360 or the fact that none of those except Super Smash Bros is an amazing groundbreaking title.  Even then Super smash is not exactly ground breaking.  The wii needs more AAA titles like super Mario Galaxy but this shit aint gonna happen.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#54  Edited By dsplayer1010

Because of all the shovelware, and few first party games released.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By gormers

Blah blah blah, poeple in this thread are destined to hit the fans with the shit.

I like my wii even though it is lacking good mainstream multiplatform games, it also lacks good online multiplayer. But it do have a considerably amount of great and original exclusive games, both first party and third party games. They may not appeal to everybody, but does to me. Most people write stuff like "Ive bought the wii and played it once" or something like that, but its your problem that the games it have (many good), dont appeal to you..

//Off-topic rant

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56  Edited By Willy105

The 2008 was one of the best years for Wii ever. I can't believe people didn't like it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57  Edited By Willy105
    Nasar7 said:
    SpinCookie said: "There weren't that many first party titles, that's why I own a Wii." Exactly. I've accepted the fact ... [more]
    Third-party developers have always tried to get into Nintendo soil but complained that Nintendo's games got all the attention. So Nintendo decided to time their development so that they got all their games on one half of the year while the third parties got the other half of the year.

It worked very successfully with the DS, but somehow they missed the mark for the Wii. Third parties are the ones to blame. Nintendo practically did all their one generation's worth of work in just two years. They need time to develop more. WHat does that say about third-parties?
    NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NinjaSquirrel
    KingOfIceland said:
    License_To_Bill said: "An awful lot of those are multiplatform." And an awful lot of those were not good games. Certainly ... [more]
    Yeah, that.

No Caption Provided
    <That right there. That's also why.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Nasar7
    Willy105 said:
    Nasar7 said: SpinCookie said: "There weren't that many first party titles, that's why I own a Wii." Exactly. I've accepted ... [more]
    Yep, I agree that third-parties suck/are lazy at making games for the Wii. 
    skye144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By skye144

great job just listing all the games that came out for the wii last year, but what does that mean. For example, rock band, great game but it is multiplatform so it means nothing. a good example on the list is no more heroes, stuff like that. If you honestly think that final fantasy crystal chronicles: my life as a king was a good game, well I guess you can not be helped

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By NinjaHunter

This has pretty much said already but I'm just going say it again.

Quality over quantity.

Take that list you made, then remove all the games you think are crap then repost. We'll see how big that list is and whether we would agree with your decisions. As it stands right now, it seems you like anything that would come out for the Wii. Which I'm sure isn't the case.
    Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Ross

I'll give the OP points for his strong "devotion" by listing all the Wii, PS3, and 360 games he did but persistence doesn't always make you right.  And the points that you have tried to prove don't make the Wii shine by any stretch of the imagination.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By trophyhunter

well now honestly tell me how many of of those games were good maybe like 4 or 5 of them 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Godwind
    skye144 said:
    great job just listing all the games that came out for the wii last year, but what does that mean. ... [more]
    You honestly suggesting that each game is up my alley?  The list isn't subjective to my opinion.  There are people who think No More Heroes sucked.  Then have them come onto here and say "OMG, you listed NMH.  Lulz, you like shitty games."

NinjaHunter said:
    This has pretty much said already but I'm just going say it again.Quality over quantity.Take that list you made, then ... [more]

Well since you want a list of games I would want from the Wii.
    * means I played the game and liked it.
    # means I played the game and disliked it
    ^ means I have an interest in playing the game.

Wii (28 games)
    1) World of Goo*
    2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl*
    3) Okami*
    4) Bomberman Blast*
    5) Tetris Party*
    6) MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade*
    7) Boom Blox*
    8) No More Heroes*
    9) Megaman 9*
    10) Bully: Scholarship Edition*
    11) Call of Duty: World at War*
    12) Mario Kart Wii*
    13) Art Style: ORBIENT^
    14) de Blob#
    15) Lost Winds*
    16) Wii Fit*
    17) Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy^
    18) Wario Land: Shake it!^
    19) Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon^
    20) We Love Golf!^
    21) SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1^
    22) Dr. Mario Online Rx^
    23) King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga^
    24) Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World*
    25) Samba de Amiga^
    26) Castle of Shikigami 3^
    27) House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return*
    28) Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility^

Let me compare that to the 360 list games I would actually be interested in.  (19 games)
    1) Braid
    2) Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
    3) N+ (Will probably get it for the DS)
    4) Viva Pinta: Trouble in Paradise
    5) Ninja Gaiden 2
    6) Tale's of Vesperia
    7) Bully: Scholarship Edition (Own it on the Wii)
    8) Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
    9) Fallout 3
    10) Super Street Fighter 2 Remixed
    11) Bionic Commando
    12) Devil May Cry 4
    13) Saints Row 2
    14) Mirror's Edge
    15) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    16) Bioshock
    17) Eternal Sonata
    18) Call of Duty: World at War (Own it on the Wii)
    19) Megaman 9 (Own it on the Wii)

Let me list the games on the PS3 I would be interested in. (20 games)
    1) LittleBigPlanet
    2) Valkyria Chronicles
    3) WipEout HD
    4) PixelJunk Monsters
    5) PixelJunk Monsters Encore
    6) Echochrome
    7) Pixel Junk Eden
    8) Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
    9) Rachet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
    10) Fallout 3
    11) Super Street Fighter 2 Remixed
    12) Bionic Commando
    13) Devil May Cry 4
    14) Saints Row 2
    15) Mirror's Edge
    16) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    17) Bioshock
    18) Eternal Sonata
    19) Call of Duty: World at War (Own it on the Wii)
    20) Megaman 9 (Own it on the Wii)

trophyhunter said:
    well now honestly tell me how many of of those games were good maybe like 4 or 5 of them  [more]
    Read the lists above.

Ross said:
    I'll give the OP points for his strong "devotion" by listing all the Wii, PS3, and 360 games he did ... [more]
    My method of persuasion happened to suck.  However, as I said before, lists are not subjective to my opinion (except for the ones in this post.)

skye144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By skye144

Im saying starting a discussion about all the games on the wii is just pointless. You are trying to get into an argument. You could have said there were some great games last year for the wii and then listed a few but instead you listed all of them and now you act surprised when people disagree. and I think everyone can agree FFCC: my life as a king was a terrible game

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By joey2683

2008? Because everyone who bought a Wii, stopped playing it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By End_Boss

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't know which is sadder: console bashing threads or console defense threads. The desperation in this one seems to point to the latter.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#68  Edited By AgentJ
    End_Boss said:
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't know which is sadder: console bashing threads or console ... [more]
    To be fair, he brings up a number of good points, the most important of which is subjectivity. People bash him personally for owning a console that they feel has no good games, and I'm sure that he is fed up with it, and is trying to do something to get it to stop. I'm fed up with it too, since whenever there is a conversation about a wii game on the wii boards someone inevitably comes in and starts bashing the game (often times one that hasnt come out yet, thus one they havent played) and the console itself, and eventually the people who play it. He enjoys the games he listed, and i enjoy a number of those same games.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know why?  Because to you, these two games are equally worth playing:

Conduit

COD4

--- Get a 360 or Ps3, you'll be amazed.  It's not a game being enjoyable that denotes it being able to be called a high quality game, no, it's exceeding that. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AgentJ

Considering i didn't like the first call of duty 4, i think you hit the nail on the head Smug

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Meowayne

Smug: Nice story, bro. But most of us own other consoles. My 360 is collecting dust at the moment.

Also, I'm not hyping The Conduit in any way. And I don't think anything think that it's equally worth playing than CoD4, because it's not released yet. I think both games are equally worth trying, yes. But I am very sure that CoD4 is the better experience.

The Conduit is the Wii game I'm least interested it. I wish people would start noticing the real games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AgentJ
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    You know why?  Because to you, these two games are equally worth playing:Conduit COD4--- Get a 360 or Ps3, you'll ... [more]
    Wait, what? being enjoyable doesnt make a game high quality? What does then? Shiny graphics? Surround sound? Gimicky controls? Castle Crashers is most definately a higher quality game than Lair, Too Human, or Infinite Undiscovery. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Al3xand3r
    skye144 said:
     Im saying starting a discussion about all the games on the wii is just pointless. You are trying to get ... [more]
    He never said all those games are equally worth playing, you're just grasping at straws. Plenty of users before you have said many of the listed titles aren't so good as well, and I don't think he denied that, and has explained his reasoning for posting them several times, so I see no reason to repeat it and lead the "discussion" in circles for no reason other than to bash the Wii, a Wii owner, or whatever.

Also, no, not everyone agress My Life as a King was a "terrible" game:

100 - NGamer UK
    Massively enjoyable, tantalisingly addictive and packed with possibilities. [Aug 2008, p.73]
    90 - GamePro
    Whether you pay $15 for the game itself or more than $30 for the title and its expanded content, you'll find a surprisingly fun and refreshingly original experience that rivals full-priced retail software in depth and scope. Just make sure that you give it a chance past its slow first hour. I'm glad I did.
    90 - Nintendo Life
    The scope of the game is enormous and there's never a lack of things to do as you live out each day of the adventure.
    90 - Hardcore Gamer Magazine
    It’s as beautiful as it is deep, and will keep you glued to your television screen as the hours fly by.
    88 - Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    The further you delve into the game's intricacies, the richer the experience. [July 2008, p.70]
    85 - Console Gameworld
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King packs a lot of depth into a small package just like Square-Enix intended it to.
    84 - RPG Fan
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King is better than the sum of its parts. When you look at everything separately nothing sticks out as particularly fantastic, but its charm and addictive quality go a long way towards making it a great game.
    83 - 1UP
    My Life as a King's depth is surprising for a downloadable title, and it suggests that this could have been slapped on a DVD and sold at retail price. But such as it is, downloadable is the way to go, and based on the evidence here, the Crystal Chronicles series has a bright future ahead of it.
    82 - Cheat Code Central
    It features very deep managerial gameplay, which it is easy to become entranced with. This title gives you so many options for gameplay that it is hard to resist the urge to level up your adventurers just one more time, or unlock a certain building before shutting it off.
    82 - Games Master UK
    Extremely original take on the familiar Final Fantasy format. Worth an expanded sequel. [Aug 2008, p.82]
    80 - games(TM)
    It may be the most expensive WiiWare release, but it effortlessly ranks as the most notable. [Aug 2008, p.118]
    80 - N-Europe
    A great title that really shows what WiiWare can do. The game is addictive and lasts for hours on end, and nice looking graphics.
    80 - Zentendo
    Despite its flaws, My Life as a King serves as a wonderful bridge title to bring Final Fantasy fans into the sim genre (and gamers at large, for that matter), blending strategy into the mix to add ample amounts of depth to the proceedings.
    80 - Games Radar (in-house)
    Our biggest complaint is that sometimes if feels like you're just filling in the blanks and it's only a matter of time before the game finishes playing out the way it's supposed to. On the other hand, the fast daily routine and quick rewards, like a new building or job class, make it easy to get sucked into playing for "just one more day" more than we'd like to admit.
    80 - Gamervision
    The games constant rewards and simple gameplay make it extremely fun, and the price may be the highest on WiiWare, but that doesn’t mean it isn't more than worth the money.
    80 - NintendoWorldReport
    Overall, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles My Life as a King is a deep and engrossing title.
    80 - Eurogamer
    Enjoyed in short delicious bursts, My Life as a King is one of the most impressive downloads offered on a current-generation console.
    76 - Nintendojo
    My Life as a King is not for everybody. The sluggish beginning will detract many gamers, especially those unfamiliar to the simulation and management genres.
    75 - IGN
    I liked My Life as a King more and more as I played it. Sure, it's basically a Final Fantasy game where you stay at home and send other people out to play Final Fantasy. But there is satisfaction to be gained from building a kingdom and keeping your subjects happy.

Like, those dudes don't, I suppose.

@Smug, lol, keep it up with your smug straw man arguments, like anyone around here ever said "The Conduit is gonna be FUCKING AMAZING, just like COD4 was!" or something along those lines. Heck, did anyone (other than you) even compare them, being so completely different types of FPS titles, and one being from fucking IW and the other from a nobody independent studio? Man, that's reaching waaay too hard, even for someone like you, but I understand that with all the great Wii games that have been coming and announced lately, it gets harder and harder to bash the Wii and its users. It's okay, you'll find a new, less stressful hobby at some point. Hopefully. Best of luck with that man.

PS: I like screenies like this a little better but you know, the game looks pretty bad compared to a great PC FPS like COD4 (sorry, I'd never play it on a console like the PS360 mate) anyway, you don't have to choose the worst examples to make your point:

Anyway, it would be nice if random Wii bashers stopped talking about 2008, points have been made tons of times in here, both ways. But hey, if you wanna grasp at a 2008 (yet somehow, someone managed to make this thread about unreleased titles like The Conduit, rofl) topic that happened to exagerate a little, fine, whatever, keep it up, lol.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Godwind
    skye144 said:
     Im saying starting a discussion about all the games on the wii is just pointless. You are trying to get ... [more]

I didn't list all the games from 2008.  I listed a good number of games but certainly not all.  I did stop at some point when I went down the list.  Keep in mind there have always been things such as "overrated games", "underrated games" and BS like that.  Most of those games I would never play or consider buying.  That certainly wouldn't be true for everyone else.

SmugDarkLoser said:
    You know why?  Because to you, these two games are equally worth playing:Conduit COD4--- Get a 360 or Ps3, you'll ... [more]

So we are talking about a game that has yet to be released and a game from 2007 in a thread about the year 2008?

I am also assuming that when you, SmugDarkLoser, use the word "you", I assume that the word "you" being referred to me.

So to prepare for this event, I decided to conspire against this inevitable scenario to disprove I have no interest.  Behold my unbiased opinion of the conduit.  According to that thread, I totally acknowledge how leet the conduit is and will pwnz all other FPSes. 

SmugDarkLoser said:
    Get a Wii or PC and you'll be amazed how great the world FPSes can be without Auto Aim.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.