Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Who else has never played WOW?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

Bonjour All,

I personally have never played the insanely ubiquitous game, also known as WOW. I don't really have a reason for not playing it. It just never made me want to play it I guess. The closest I have been to playing it was when I watched the Leeroy Jenkins video on YouTube.(hilarious by the way, "LEEEEEROY JENKINS!") Also, now that it's so popular I think of it just as one of those things that is just way over rated. So I have a question...

Am I the only one here who doesn't play WOW?

Also, if anyone who does play wants to tell me why they love it that would be pretty cool cause maybe I could be convinced to give it a try.

And lastly...Bananas...that is all.

**Edit: After reading seversl posts, I realize I have made an atrocious error in typing WOW as opposed to WoW. Small "o" of course! Sorry everyone! lol.**
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bwooduhs

I've never played it.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

Dude I've never played it either. I think I'm mostly against paying a monthly fee to play a game online, no actual dislike of the game itself.

The MMO KOTOR may change my mind though...

Also, bananas.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yeah the monthly fee is a killer for me too. But I could at least play the one week free trial. I don't know, I just have never felt the need to play it, maybe it just isn't for me.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've never played it, and with good reason too. I've seen pictures of players at conventions, that is enough to deter me :)

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Axersia

Unfortunately, I have played WoW, but only for a month or so. It's just as boring as all the other MMOs. I'd rather go play a simple dungeon hack game like Dungeon Siege or Titan Quest. Guild Wars is alright as well -- played that quite a bit.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I've never played WOW or any other game I have to buy, and then pay more money just to play it.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By daz0608

Never played it or have never wanted to play it

omergd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By omergd1

never did and wouldn't play it even if it was free

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

Congrats guys, were the five people that haven't played WOW. Really if anyone thinks something about this game is so god damn cool that its worth playing then let me know. :)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I've never touched wow and never intend too i've played other MMO's mostly free ones and not a single one was different id play till about lvl 30 then get bored because id have to level grind too much just to even begin the next set of quests.

Ziriux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ziriux

I have not tried it thankfully and have no plans to anytime soon, it's just not my type of game.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JudgeDread

stay away
    do not even look at it
    just walk away

you will be thankful in the end

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Captain_Insano

never played it. I have no interest whatsoever in MMO's

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

JJWeatherman said:
    "Congrats guys, were the five people that haven't played WOW. Really if anyone thinks something about this game is so god damn cool that its worth playing then let me know. :)"
    I've played it and I must say it's significantly better than Auto Assault.
    I'm not one of those people who play constantly,  one month out of the year is enough for me.
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maru

Never tried it.  I have seen it in action at my friend's house years ago, and it looked a bit childish for my tastes.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Cowman said:
    "JJWeatherman said:
    "Congrats guys, were the five people that haven't played WOW. Really if anyone thinks something about this game is so god damn cool that its worth playing then let me know. :)"
    I've played it and I must say it's significantly better than Auto Assault.
    I'm not one of those people who play constantly,  one month out of the year is enough for me.
    "
    I would hope it's better then Auto Assault. I hear that game was awful...
    GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GTCknight

I have never played WoW or any other MMO for that matter. And I'am just fine with that.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Karmum

I tried it for several minutes and never touched it again. Does that count?

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Never played WoW.  But  Isn't Halo a MMO? Isn't wow and Mmo-RPG?  WEird I always thought their was a difference. 

Leroy Jenkins?  LoL  Thats where that came from!  I have never seen the original before.  Thats crazy!  I always thought that started somewhere in Halo 2. 

Anyway, I only play MMOs like CoD 4, Halo 3, Left4dead, and Killzone 2.  You know FPS MMOs.  I found this yesterday on Youtube.  Kinda funny, that they get into it so much.  RIgt?  LOL!!!  They need to buy a 360!  That 11 million players has got to be crap.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By smallville123

I refuse to play it.  Not to sound pretentious but that game is  to nerdy, even for me.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By BiG_Weasel

WoW is the devil. I dumped 3 years into that game, but don't miss it now that I quit. I've tried just about every MMO out there, and outside of Warhammer Online, I haven't found one that did *everything* I wanted it to do. And as a general rule, if you get sucked into an MMO, you won't play many other games. The Grind will become the only thing you're concerned with.

As far as the monthly fees, the same people who say they won't 'pay to play', are the same ones paying $5/month for a simple matchmaking service on Live (whereas mosts MMO fees go toward server maintenance, downloadable content, etc- you know, worthwhile stuff).  $15/month with the promise of DLC valued at least that much makes an MMO fee worth it to me. Paying 1/3 of that just to have matchmaking and voice chat (both of which PC's been doing for free for years) seems like extortion.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax

I'm proud to have never played it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us

I have never played WoW before (or any other MMO). And I never will. I dont have any real dislike for the game but it doesnt do anything for me. Also as a few people have mentioned the monthly fees are a real killer. The idea of paying a fee for the privilage of continuing to pay for a game I have already bought sickens me. lol. If the planned Wheel of Time MMO turns out alright though that could be the game that finally tempts me into the genre...but there is another non MMO coming out as well which would probably satisfy me without getting into an MMO if it turns out well.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I've never played it, either. I don't have anything against it or anything; I'm just not that interested in it.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Tordah

I've never played it either. I can't see myself ever paying a monthly fee to play a game and my interest for MMORPGs in general is pretty much nonexistent.

Give me a good single-player RPG with a great story instead Blizzard!

BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlackIrish05

Never played it. Probably never will.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Red

I played WoW for about a year. I liked it quite a bit. It took my computer breaking for me to realise I should stop wasting time with that game.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By erinfizz

I have never played it because I know what a time sink MMOs are to me. I played UO for 2 years-ish, and in that time I pretty much sat inside on my ass drinking soda and smoking and ignoring the outside world. After that, it was Earth and Beyond...and I played that for a year I think. Until Star Wars Galaxies came out and my bf jumped ship. Anyway...at this point I just know better. If I really want to plug in to a game for a long period of time I start up a Civ 4 or Gal Civ 2 game.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane

I'm too afraid for my social life to play MMORPGs.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Never played it or any other MMORPG.  Overpriced fees and level grinding are both turn-offs for me.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shadow

I am very aware of it, but I prefer City of Heroes.  More than that though, I absolutely HATE the idea that I have to play a monthly fee to play this game, invest in these characters I make, and if I ever don't pay for the game, those characters might as well not exists.  I can deal with something like xbox live where I get an entire service and even if I don't pay for it, I still get the feeling that I exist in that world.  I still have my gamertag, all my friends, I just can't play online with others.  However, something about paying per month for a single game is just too much for me, especially if I basically disapear from that universe whenever I don't pay.  Part of this is definately that my PC sucks, but it's mostly the commitment thing.  Who knows?  Maybe Champions Online will fix that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust
    BiG_Weasel said:
    "WoW is the devil. I dumped 3 years into that game, but don't miss it now that I quit. I.... if you get sucked into an MMO, you won't play many other games. The Grind will become the only thing you're concerned with.

As far as the monthly fees, the same people who say they won't 'pay to play', are the same ones paying $5/month for a simple matchmaking service on Live (whereas mosts MMO fees go toward server maintenance, downloadable content, etc- you know, worthwhile stuff).  $15/month with the promise of DLC valued at least that much makes an MMO fee worth it to me. Paying 1/3 of that just to have matchmaking and voice chat (both of which PC's been doing for free for years) seems like extortion."
    I spent about 2 years of my life on that game, and while I was firmly entrenched in the WOW lifestyle, I didn't play many other games at all.  The all consuming need to get better stuff and get to the point that you are "farming" end game content is all that exists.  I quit WOW in November and haven't been back since, and don't miss it at all.  I don't hate WOW, in fact, I had a really good time when I was into it.  And I met a lot of really good people while there.  That is where an MMO surpasses anything social on the consoles.  You can't really get to know someone during a 3-5 minute game of COD while just hanging out in Ogrimmar/Stormwind get you noticed. 

As for the people who don't like the monthly fees, I look at it this way.  Like I said, I didn't play much of anything else when I was into WOW. After all, every moment spent in Liberty City is lost time grinding rep in Outland.  So, I didn't buy many console games during that time.  So, $15 spent on WOW was actually cheap.  I'd have to limit my game purchases to 3 a year to equal what I spent on WOW.  How many of games do you buy last year?  Was it more than 3? 

WOW isn't for everyone.  It's a good game but to really get the most from it, it requires a level of commitment.  Just as getting proficient in HALO or Street Fighter IV demands practice, WOW demands that you spend time building your 'toon to its fullest potential.  If you don't want to do that, or (like me) don't want to do that anymore, then that is fine, too.  If the current console cycle has taught us anything, it's that there are more than enough choices available to keep all of us happy. 
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By suneku

wow this is a lot more people that haven't played wow then I thought.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

WoW is hardly nerdy, it's actually a very casual game, nicely easing players into it. I played for a couple of years, though one of those was during my army service which means there wasn't much gaming to do, only during days off.

What finally put me off (other than a few friends quitting or switching servers) was that, after every expansion, the character you worked so hard to build was becoming a noob all over again, and nothing you did previously gave you any advantage, it was like starting from 0 all over again.

Other people keep building new characters from lvl 0 on but I only played one for those two years, a human warrior tank. I liked the effort of the class to be the center of attention for all enemies rather than simply deal damage.

I tried to make a paladin but I didn't go past lvl 33 as I found it too boring to repeat the same instances all over again, even with such a different class (though I was instictively going toward protection, a tank again).

There were other perhaps less important annoying things that helped me quit, like my class being completely unsuitable for PvP, making instances and raids the only (great) fun time, with a lot of down time inbetween, other classes being favored for gear drops or balancing patches, and how high level play completely escapes the initial casual feel and goes into the realm of mathematical geniouses plotting the guild's next run down to every detail like what potions will be used when. I like tough, and some of my favorite times were in some of the toughest instances and raids, but I don't like to follow scripts so closely.

Even so I look back more fondly to the "journey" of leveling with a few friends, going through the various storylines and getting sweet new gear at every turn after defeating bosses that seemed impossible to us while exploring the still new world discovering new instances, rare enemies and other such things and running to tell the others then attempt to defeat them together. Once it's end game time things quickly change, though other people get hooked with that also. It's just not for me I guess.

Bottom line is, if you have friends willing to all play together, you'll probably have some of the best gaming sessions with it. If not, the bad outweight the good and you'll likely soon quit.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By destro

I've never played it. I've played guild wars before but that was at a buddies house. I don't have time MMORPG's games like that. Plus the fact that some entire families dress up and play together is just weird and wrong in so many ways.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By insanegamer

i have never played it and i will never play it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r
    destro said:
    "I've never played it. I've played guild wars before but that was at a buddies house. I don't have time MMORPG's games like that. Plus the fact that some entire families dress up and play together is just weird and wrong in so many ways.
    "
    There are people who murder babies while imitating Mortal Kombat, does that mean one shouldn't ever play fighting games? WoW can be far more of a casual time killer than most people think...
    Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Steven

Like the crowd, never played either it or any other MMO.

Yummm...Banana's are good.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By StarFoxA

I've never played it, despite the efforts of my friends.

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DavidPalmer

I've never played it either. Good thing there are other MMORPG avoiders on these boards, people get so caught up in it, it seems like an obsession that's totally insane. Granted, I can also play Fallout for 5 hours straight....I guess it's all relative.

Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Gunrock

Well, i might be making a mistake by posting this seeing as how most of you dislike the game, but in my experience WoW has been good times, maybe because i have a close group of RL friends that started together and keep playing the game, ive also played other MMO's and i can say that compared to others WoW is virtually grind free, you want a grindfest try Maple story damn...

As for the fee the way i see it i pay for a stable enviroment, more content being created like new dungeons, boss fights and such so i don't see it as a pay to play (Even though it is).

To me the fun part is hanging out with my buddys going to take down big bosses or just making new characters, it must be i enjoy the game itself, like the mechanics and gathering professions, the combat all that adds up and makes a nice experience for me.

Well thats my way of seeing things, maybe it can help you the OP understand why someone like me enjoys it.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Warfare

Never played WOW.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    CitizenKane said:
    "I'm too afraid for my social life to play MMORPGs."
    Exactly, I'd lose all tethers with reality. That is why I will probably never try an MMORPG.
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShiroMe

I don't play pc games because they don't have standards, thus most games are buggy if they work at all. My console games work right 100% of the time.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By breadfan

I have never played WoW or any other MMO for that matter, though Star Wars the Old Republic may change my thoughts on playing them

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By MKHavoc

I think you'll find plenty of people here who've never played it.  My only experience with a game was a 14 day free trial that Gamefly sent me in the mail.  I can understand why people like it but I don't think I'd be willing to pay $15 a month for it.  Whenever I have tried free MMOs I always end up playing them as if they were single player games.  WoW seem like the type of games that I'd get bored of unless playing with others and I just prefer soloing.

Zorn100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zorn100
    I've never played it, doubt i ever will.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bulldog19892

I played the free trial for maybe like, an hour or two? I haven't touched it since, nor do I really care to. Does that count? I'd probably play it if it was free.

LDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LDub

I've never played WoW or any other MMORPG for that matter.  I've seen it played numerous times and I just can't understand what the appeal is.  For someone to sit in their home all day and try to finish a quest with other online peeps is just beyond me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.