Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Would you prefer the WoW movie be serious and respectful or zany and full of references to the game?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

Zany references, I couldn't take a serious World of Warcraft seriously.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By angelkanarias

I wouldn't probably get the references, so serious business would be cool.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

I would have to agree with angelkanarias, I wouldnt get a mojority of the references so I would probably only enjoy it if it was a "serious and respectful" interpretation.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Deusoma

To answer my own question, if they were gonna do a good topic, i.e. the fall of Arthas, I'd wanna see it done seriously. But if they were gonna do the usual player-type characters slog, then by all means, liven up the mediocrity with Leeroy Jenkins and some guy shouting MORE DOTS.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

I think it should be serious and respect the material. I honestly don't think the Giant Bomb staff knows Warcraft all that well. When playing through the campaign they aren't fucking around, it's an actual story. In World of Warcraft? Yea it's a bit more light-hearted because it is focused on community. Therefore they fill it with "funny" dances and easter eggs. Back to Warcraft III. It's not that there is no humour, but it takes itself seriously during the story and has a light-hearted approach outside of the campaign. Blizzard always throws in their own brand of comedy, which I deeply enjoy, but when we talk about the story itself, Blizzard likes to weave an epic tale.

Hopefully that made sense and you understand where I'm coming from. I love Warcraft II, III, and loved WoW until they ruined the lore. As a hardcore fan I hope this movie focuses around the lore and history.

One more thing to add. For all you people talking about not getting the references... the references Blizzard uses as humour is from other entertainment such as movies and various video games. They might have a few interwoven  references but not nearly as much.
    gollumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gollumpus

On one hand, if a World of Warcraft movie is created in a more serious tone, it will more than likely end up being a Lord of the Rings clone.
    On the other hand, a comedic movie might end up with jokes akin to "Hey man, I just found a pair of mail boots in that plainstrider's stomach. 
    I didn't know they even ate metal!" and community inspired jokes, which  will feel stale to WoW players and will have no appeal to those unfamiliar with the games.
    (and remember X-Men III?  Do you really want another "I'm the juggernaut, bitch!" scenario?)

As Vinchenzo points out, Warcraft's humor isn't as obvious as you remember it, which means a serious movie would probably end up being the better choice.
    However, it is what most people use to separate the fiction from other fantasy stories.  It needs to be in there.

Ultimately, a mix of the two is needed: making a serious movie with a handful of lighthearted, humorous elements would be the best way to interpret Warcraft on the big screen.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Pie

I want to see it chock full of zany refernces just so i can have a laugh at how terrible it is.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By guiseppe

Serious, but I'd like some references. Although not stuff like having a group of people with a guy called "leroy", who charges at stuff. Subtle stuff, or stuff that it can be serious about.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Tasus

I really like the Warcraft universe, so a good story would be awesome.

gibbs_acolyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By gibbs_acolyte

Well, if you can all cast our minds back to Warcraft 3 and its later expansion, it had awesome fully rendered animated cut scenes, THAT WHERE BLOODY COOL. Now why can't the movie be just that, and hey it will lead into the next expansion pack for WoW.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

Honestly, I don't want to see it done live-action at all.  I'd much prefer a fully CG animated feature movie.  Anything live-action will draw immediate comparison to Lord of the Rings and will likely fail just as the horrible Dungeon & Dragons movies did or the TANG classic, Dungeon Siege.  If they make a movie though, and I guess there is no talking them out of it now...not with all that potential box office from 11 million WOW players (and millions of ex-players like me), then I'd want something serious that tells the Warcraft lore.  I don't want any players from our universe falling into Azeroth (D&D the cartoon did that 20 years ago) nor do I want an simple tale of each character class coming together to overcome a foe.  And I absolutely don't want a team-up of Horde and Alliance to fight the Burning Legion.  We may have all been running around Outland together, but we couldn't team up or talk to each other. So none of that "everyone works together" crap. 

EDIT: And I don't want to hear a "Leeeroy Jenkins" reference, either!

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By atejas

Hey, considering the number of retcons they've pulled out of their ass, it's basically a farce by this point anyway.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Are you kidding me?  There's so much lore and crazy shit going on in the world that they've got tons of stories they can tell.  They don't need to be funny about the shit.  I'm sure they'll add a couple of small laughs and light-hearted moments in there.  Hell, LOTR had them.

The one thing I'm hoping they do is treat Warcraft as its own franchise and not like it's LOTR minus Gandalf.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech

I want both.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

I want a serious , well made movie.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By galiant
    @Vinchenzo said:
    "...and loved WoW until they ruined the lore. As a hardcore fan I hope this movie focuses around the lore and history. "
    What are you talking about? They write the lore, you either like it or you don't. They'll always direct it towards where they want it to go.

I talked to a guy who said he hated what they'd done to the lore with World of Warcraft as well, and he refused to play it. I think he was just, on some level, upset that he didn't get to see the new lore unfolding since he wasn't there. I personally think (as a three-year now retired WoW-player) that the story keeps getting better and better, it just expands a lot slower considering the methods they have to use to continue it with (world events, and a large world at that).

You should look up some of the important events after you quit(?), awesome things happen =)

Sincerely,
    A Fellow Warcrafter
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maxszy

Serious and animated by the brilliant animators and digital artists at Blizzard. But that second part isn't going to happen so I'll just go with serious.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PureRok

Why do people keep calling it a WoW movie?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kazona
    @PureRok said:
    " Why do people keep calling it a WoW movie? "
    Because that's what it is?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By AndrewB

It depends on if we're talking about a World Of Warcraft movie, or a Warcraft movie. If they were doing any of the RTS game storylines as a movie, I'd most certainly expect and enjoy only a serious storyline. If they were doing a story based on World Of Warcraft, specifically, I wouldn't care one iota what they were doing with it, because I wouldn't watch it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " I think it should be serious and respect the material. I honestly don't think the Giant Bomb staff knows Warcraft all that well. When playing through the campaign they aren't fucking around, it's an actual story. In World of Warcraft? Yea it's a bit more light-hearted because it is focused on community. Therefore they fill it with "funny" dances and easter eggs. Back to Warcraft III. It's not that there is no humour, but it takes itself seriously during the story and has a light-hearted approach outside of the campaign. Blizzard always throws in their own brand of comedy, which I deeply enjoy, but when we talk about the story itself, Blizzard likes to weave an epic tale.

Hopefully that made sense and you understand where I'm coming from. I love Warcraft II, III, and loved WoW until they ruined the lore. As a hardcore fan I hope this movie focuses around the lore and history.

One more thing to add. For all you people talking about not getting the references... the references Blizzard uses as humour is from other entertainment such as movies and various video games. They might have a few interwoven  references but not nearly as much.
    "
    I agree completely. It's still very unlikely, and I'm of course not convinced this can turn out to be anything good just because of the streak everyone sees with game movies, however, if they actually did get it right it could definitely focus on plenty of the more serious events and turn out great. Also, people keep saying WoW movie, but its a Warcraft movie. Yes, unless you're an idiot, there is a difference. I've played Warcraft since the first game, and have seen how everything ties together..there's so many stories and plot lines they could focus on.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By keyhunter

I would rather it be identical to lord of the rings.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PureRok
    @Kazona said:
    " @PureRok said:
    Because that's what it is? "
    Actually, it's not.
    HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

It'll be just like the Dungeons and Dragons movie; EPIC FAIL. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PureRok said:
    "@Kazona said:
    " @PureRok said:
    Actually, it's not."
    What is it boy.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PureRok
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @PureRok said:
    "@Kazona said:
    " @PureRok said:
    Actually, it's not."
    What is it boy. "
    It's a Warcraft movie. You know, a movie based on the series. There are more games in the Warcraft series than WoW. If it was a WoW movie, wouldn't they, I don't know, name it World of Warcraft and not just Warcraft?

And I think you meant "What is it then, boy?" Although, I don't know where the "boy" part comes from.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seedofpower

I would the movie to have a more serious tone, becouse I loved the first 3 games of warcraft and all 3 had a serious theme of war and killing. Then Wow came and cartooned it up for the family.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PureRok said:
    "@Bucketdeth said:
    " @PureRok said:
    "@Kazona said:
    " @PureRok said:
    Actually, it's not."
    What is it boy. "
    It's a Warcraft movie. You know, a movie based on the series. There are more games in the Warcraft series than WoW. If it was a WoW movie, wouldn't they, I don't know, name it World of Warcraft and not just Warcraft?And I think you meant "What is it then, boy?" Although, I don't know where the "boy" part comes from."
    Ahh I understand what you meen now my boy, I thought you meant the whole thing wasn't a movie, but you meen it is a Warcraft movie not a Wow movie, SUPER DEE DUPER.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By spacetrucking

Why not both ? Blizzard has shown that its capable of telling a serious tale with lots of humor thrown in. And with Sam Riami is directing it, they have the perfect person for a blend of storytelling and humor (just look at Spiderman 2).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.