HBO Go and MLB.TV Apps Now Live on Xbox 360

• 125 results
Posted by Alex (2386 posts) -

Just a quick PSA for Xbox 360 owners: You can now watch The Wire on your console, and you don't even need the DVD boxed set.

Reruns of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency AND unlimited access to Cleveland Indians games? WHAT GOD DID I PLEASE?!?

Today marks the launch of the HBO Go app on the system, allowing Xbox Live Gold members to watch pretty much the entire breadth of the premium cable network's original programming (sans a few old favorites like Dream On, The Larry Sanders Show, and Mr. Show), as well as the vast majority of its original sports programming and current movie lineup. The one trick, of course, is that you have to already have an HBO subscription through your local cable network in order to use the app, though that's true of the HBO Go service for all devices.

If old episodes of Eastbound & Down and Real Sports aren't your thing, maybe actual, honest-to-god baseball is. Also launching today is the MLB.TV app, which allows subscribers to the MLB.TV service to access any baseball game currently airing anywhere, ensuring that Houston Astros fans can continue to watch their team flounder helplessly night after night, and never miss a single mediocre moment. Once again, you must already have an MLB.TV account, and must have Xbox Live Gold in order to use it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm currently waist deep in the last season of Cathouse. I mean Deadwood. Okay, no, I actually mean Cathouse. Don't you dare judge me.

#1 Posted by Alex (2386 posts) -

Just a quick PSA for Xbox 360 owners: You can now watch The Wire on your console, and you don't even need the DVD boxed set.

Reruns of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency AND unlimited access to Cleveland Indians games? WHAT GOD DID I PLEASE?!?

Today marks the launch of the HBO Go app on the system, allowing Xbox Live Gold members to watch pretty much the entire breadth of the premium cable network's original programming (sans a few old favorites like Dream On, The Larry Sanders Show, and Mr. Show), as well as the vast majority of its original sports programming and current movie lineup. The one trick, of course, is that you have to already have an HBO subscription through your local cable network in order to use the app, though that's true of the HBO Go service for all devices.

If old episodes of Eastbound & Down and Real Sports aren't your thing, maybe actual, honest-to-god baseball is. Also launching today is the MLB.TV app, which allows subscribers to the MLB.TV service to access any baseball game currently airing anywhere, ensuring that Houston Astros fans can continue to watch their team flounder helplessly night after night, and never miss a single mediocre moment. Once again, you must already have an MLB.TV account, and must have Xbox Live Gold in order to use it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm currently waist deep in the last season of Cathouse. I mean Deadwood. Okay, no, I actually mean Cathouse. Don't you dare judge me.

#2 Posted by Mongoose (218 posts) -

I so hope HBO Go comes to the UK. Netflix is finally here and seems cool, good to have competition to Lovefilm.

#3 Posted by Mesklinite (814 posts) -

I hope it comes to canada too. I long for a world where these things are available for everyone everywhere at the same time.

#4 Posted by porr (178 posts) -

whoop! just in time for Game of Thrones

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I'm loving these TV content apps that are coming to both PS3 and 360. If the MLB app on 360 is as good as the PS3 one than people are in for a treat. My brother isn't much of a gamer so I plucked down the money to get him it on PS3 and he's been loving it ever since. It has a few hiccups here and there but if you want baseball 24/7 it has you covered.

#6 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

My wife and I choose to not have cable because there are so few things we would ever watch. We would gladly pay a premium to be able to access HBO Go content, but there is no way to do so. These content providers still haven't figured out how to make this stuff work. Take my money. TAKE IT.

#7 Posted by MediumDave (93 posts) -

I can feel myself being sucked into HD Wire...and I love it. 6th time through!

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

FUCK YES! Now I can watch Game of Thrones on the big screen!

#9 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

Is HBO Go in a messed up state like Netflix though?

Is there messed up black levels and stuff? When's PS3 getting it?

#10 Posted by DeepSpace9MM (126 posts) -

Yay! Too bad I have TimeWarner and they don't support HBO Go on the 360!

#11 Posted by MjHealy (1877 posts) -

@Mongoose said:

I so hope HBO Go comes to the UK. Netflix is finally here and seems cool, good to have competition to Lovefilm.

I wouldn't count on it. Sky have sown up most of the HBO shows in the UK with it's Atlantic channel while most other shows are spread out all acorss TV (Eastbound & Down on FX and such). We are stuck with random and sometimes delayed HBO programming on the ol' TV for now.

#12 Posted by Rirse (275 posts) -

Ugh, Comcast isn't listed as as provider within the HBO App, so I can't use it. And their own app is listed as coming out today, but not available on the 360.

#13 Posted by chilibean_3 (1694 posts) -

Too bad MLB's blackout rules are poop from a butt.

#14 Posted by gla55jAw (2695 posts) -

Today! I thought it was April 1st! Thanks Alex! I just bought The Wire off eBay...and it was a bootleg. Now I don't even have to buy the DVDs. This is awesome.

#15 Edited by Gunharp (337 posts) -

Whoa, nice press for MLB.TV, haha. I don't think it would have gotten acknowledged or made news on its own here on GiantBomb or everywhere else if it wasn't tagging along with HBO. As PS3 owners know, it's really not that great of a service.

#16 Posted by mrwolf710 (50 posts) -

I can't believe Time Warner is doing this again. We had to wait months and months before we could use HBOGo at all on the Iphone/Ipad/PC and now it looks like we are going through the same crap with HBOGo on the 360. What the hell is their problem?

#17 Posted by Jackel2072 (2279 posts) -

Well this will come in handy at my girlfriends house, however at my home i have my PC hooked up to my TV so this was never an issue. PC + TV = Best multimedia device ever. 

#18 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@mrwolf710 said:

I can't believe Time Warner is doing this again. We had to wait months and months before we could use HBOGo at all on the Iphone/Ipad/PC and now it looks like we are going through the same crap with HBOGo on the 360. What the hell is their problem?

@DeepSpace9MM said:

What are you guys talking about?

HBO is fucking owned by Time Warner, is that cable company that fucked up?

#19 Posted by CosmicQueso (572 posts) -

@Gunharp said:

Whoa, nice press for MLB.TV, haha. I don't think it would have gotten acknowledged or made news on its own here on GiantBomb or everywhere else if it wasn't tagging along with HBO. As PS3 owners know, it's really not that great of a service.

Wow you're just so incredibly wrong. But hey, opinions.

#20 Posted by 617_jbug (350 posts) -

Comcast app is also coming out today.

#21 Posted by DeepSpace9MM (126 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Guessing so. Shit, just like said, we've only been able to actually use HBO Go on iPads/PCs for a couple of weeks now. Time Warner hates us all.

#22 Posted by Skywarpgold (153 posts) -

HBO Go is the best app in the past year for sure.

#23 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

Is anyone else not able to get in on Time Warner Cable? I could've sworn HBO and TWC settled this shit months ago...?

@Doctorchimp said:

@mrwolf710 said:

@DeepSpace9MM said:

What are you guys talking about?

HBO is fucking owned by Time Warner, is that cable company that fucked up?

Time Warner spun off the cable company a couple years ago. They kept the name and still have licensing rights to Roadrunner and other stuff, but they're two different companies now.

#24 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -

Too bad Canda gets fucked.

#25 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Why would I have an MLB.TV account? I'm just going to lose it when Tuvalu sinks into the ocean in a few years anyway.
#26 Posted by Gunharp (337 posts) -

@CosmicQueso said:

@Gunharp said:

Wow you're just so incredibly wrong. But hey, opinions.

So incredibly? I don't think the video service has been that good for me to be incredibly wrong.

#27 Posted by MrCHUP0N (248 posts) -

@Alex Cathouse --> "Dead" "wood". I see what you did there.

#28 Posted by drowsap (683 posts) -

Really no Comcast what the hell

#29 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -

Oh well. I live in Belgium. We don't even have Netflix, let alone anything HBO-related.

#30 Posted by Mijati (949 posts) -

For those outside of the US I would highly recommend getting a VPN. For $6 a month I can access Netflix US content (as well as UK content), use normal HBO, Pandora and various other US only online services. While it is a pain to have to do that it's entirely worth it if you use any amount of video/audio streaming services online.

Although it won't have an impact on Xbox 360 content it's certainly something worth considering. Before I did that I too was annoyed at these sort of things, now I know it still sucks there are perfectly easy ways to counteract it somewhat.

#31 Posted by Bloodfarts (63 posts) -

I'm downloading the App now. Does Comcast allow use of the app though XboxLive?

#32 Posted by masternater27 (920 posts) -

When the MLB fixes their archaic blackout rules I'll be interested. The Mariners are blacked out for like 5 states. I would gladly pay to watch them, but not on top of having to move to California or a state not in the Pacific time zone.

#33 Posted by Deathpooky (1443 posts) -

Really looking forward to when HBO sacks up and allows you to subscribe just to HBO GO and not through a cable service.

#34 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@Bloodfarts said:

I'm downloading the App now. Does Comcast allow use of the app though XboxLive?

They said on the Bombcast a couple months ago that Comcast currently only has a mobile deal for HBO Go, and Comcast currently isn't listed in the providers.

#35 Posted by Tetsuo (57 posts) -

Oh hey, awesome, yet more features we don't get while still paying the same as everyone else.

#36 Posted by skadave (200 posts) -

FINALLY I CAN WATCH HBO ON MY TELEVISION!!!! - - - Oh wait.

#37 Posted by Leeroi (29 posts) -

Xfinity app is listed as coming soon, but if you do an app search it comes up and you can download it. Still doesn't work however, cause the authentication server isn't online yet. I am so disappointed.

#38 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

As a huge Rays fan, this headline pleases me.

#39 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Sweet. I love the Roku box, but the HBO Go app is shit.

#40 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -
@skadave said:

Well, you can watch any of the HBO original programming that you want to watch... when you want to watch it.  

That's useful, because when you want to be watching Game of Thrones, HBO really stands for, "Hey, Beastmaster's On!"
#41 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

@LoveYouSomeEric: FYI, anyone who subscribes to HBO via their cable provider can "activate" up to 7 devices with HBO go (at least thats what it is in my area) . All you need is their account number. AKA find a friend with it and use theirs.

I also no longer subscribe to cable (a little over 2 months clean and going strong!) and have access to HBO and Showtime this way.

#42 Posted by FinalDasa (2046 posts) -

Hell yeah out of market Rays games.

Moderator Online
#43 Posted by GenghisJohn (257 posts) -

Tampa Bay Rays getting some GB love! A great day indeed!

#44 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

All the Real Sex you want...

All of it.

#45 Edited by wjb (1696 posts) -

Would like to have MLB.TV if their blackout policy didn't exist. Living in NC, I cannot watch any games involving the Braves, Orioles, Nationals, or Reds.

Gave up on the service because I would sometimes watch a game that's halfway done -- in real-time -- from the beginning, and then it's streaming service would have issues and would end up going back live in real-time. Kind of pointless watching a game when I want to watch it when it skips several innings and spoils the score for you.

#46 Posted by masternater27 (920 posts) -

@msavo said:

I'm loving these TV content apps that are coming to both PS3 and 360. If the MLB app on 360 is as good as the PS3 one than people are in for a treat. My brother isn't much of a gamer so I plucked down the money to get him it on PS3 and he's been loving it ever since. It has a few hiccups here and there but if you want baseball 24/7 it has you covered.

Unless you live within a state the team you want to watch plays in. Or in the general area. Or are Canadian and want to watch the only Canadian team. Or you want to watch baseball on weekends, because games on FOX on weekends are now blacked out too.

#47 Posted by ds8k (414 posts) -

So I take it this is stuck behind Microsoft's pay-wall as well?

#48 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@Alphazero said:

@skadave said:

Well, you can watch any of the HBO original programming that you want to watch... when you want to watch it. That's useful, because when you want to be watching Game of Thrones, HBO really stands for, "Hey, Beastmaster's On!"

You're forgetting the part where a bunch of us can't access HBO Go on 360 because we're Comcast or Time Warner Cable subscribers.

@ds8k said:

So I take it this is stuck behind Microsoft's pay-wall as well?

Yup.

#49 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

Hey Hey! The Astros may flounder around but it will not be helplessly.. except for Carlos Lee, he'll be too busy throwing down roast beef and burritos.

#50 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Still no Xfinity app, and Comcast doesn't support the HBO Go app. Awesome! Thanks, Comcast!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.