Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week. We have a lot to review this week whether it be big video game release, Extra Life, or even a site re-design! So, without further ado, let's just jump into the general site housekeeping!
- The new site re-design is live! You can share feedback about the new site using this link.
- There's a new batch of Giant Bomb merchandise that uses the new Giant Bomb logo. Check it out if you are interested in buying some stuff before the holiday season.
- There's a new podcast series featuring the Giant Bomb dev team. This week, listen to how they built episodes and seasons.
Extra Life 2018 Post-Mortem
Just look at those stats for a minute. This year, the Giant Bomb Extra Life team raised over $300,000! Additionally, $172,834 is an amazing amount for the Giant Bomb staff account to raise! Let's review some housekeeping about Extra Life 2018.
- You can still donate to Giant Bomb's profile or team until the end of 2018.
- Dave Lang still has not reached his Extra Life 2018 goal.
- We still have 37 members of the Giant Bomb Extra Life roster that have raised $0. If you can, go to the roster, and please donate whatever you can so every member of the team at least has something to show before the end of the year.
- The Giant Bomb moderators worked on a Google Sheet that compiles all of the information you would want to know about each and every Giant Bomb hosted Extra Life stream.
Giant Bomb Galleria
Over on Twitter, jae_rum decided to throw Abby's lot into the Giant Bomb x Dragon Ball Z fan art. Personally, I think the results of their hard work are AWESOME!
The master of Giant Bomb t-shirt designs is back, and this week has two 8-bit renditions of everyone's favorite Giant Bomb puppy enthusiast, Mr. Rorie!
Clips Of The Week
JeremyM is saying the "premise" of their latest compilation video is "flimsy" but when the results are this hilarious, who cares? Regardless, this week compiles the Giant Bomb staff's "enjoyment" of The Quiet Man into one video.
Tweets Of The Week
For those of you still enjoying Red Dead Redemption 2, learn how you can join the Giant Bomb Community Social Club for the game over here.
This is a friendly reminder that we only have an online Red Dead Redemption 2 posse for the PS4 version of the game. If anyone is interested in creating a Xbox One version, that would be great!
Best Of Blogs
Many thanks to Giant Bomb user ButButtBat for compiling some AWESOME stats for Giant Bomb Infinite! If you want to know which videos are the most likely to be picked by chat, check it out.
Giant Bomb user DrM2theJ is one of the users whose Soulcalibur VI creations were shown off during @giantbomb's Extra Life show. Check out the creations that didn't make the cut.
Moderator Gamer_152 uses Jazztronauts as a case study on the merits of games and applications that run within Garry's Mod. Give it a read on how Garry's Mod is helping indie developers get their feet wet.
Giant Bomb user Sniffulls is back with an update on the results from the Versus Fighting Cup! Give their blog a read and see how the rankings for the Capcom Pro Tour have changed!
If you have been following the recent news about Final Fantasy XV, check out moderator ZombiePie's final blog about Final Fantasy XIII. In it, they explain why Final Fantasy XIII is the game that "killed" Square Enix and the beloved JRPG franchise, and NOT the usual suspects.
Mento considers how the huge number of annual game releases means you can either enjoy a wide variety of genres or be an expert in one or two, but not both. There's also more Tales of Berseria talk as the playthrough winds down and a review of the overlooked weepie adventure game Rakuen.
Join The Discussion
Hitman (2016) was a recurring community favorite and GOTY winner two years ago, so it goes without saying the Giant Bomb staff and community cannot wait to get their hands on Hitman 2. If you received the game early, use the link to share your early impressions. Everyone else should join the discussion when you can.
Tetris Effect is quickly becoming a bit of a "killer app" for PSVR, but do you have any tips or tricks for people struggling with their top score or the different modes? Well, share them over here and make another user's day!
Some big news broke about Final Fantasy XV recently. Share how you feel about the game's canceled DLC, Tabata's resignation, and the current state of Square Enix.
Do You Like The Re-design Of The Site? As mentioned earlier, the site re-design is the biggest news that impacted Giant Bomb proper this week. Feel free to use the following thread to share your positive and negative impressions of the re-design, and remember: we are all users and friends of the same site.
Here's another fun Giant Bomb community activity. Before the site re-design, how did you navigate the site and consume content? Check out this survey and join the discussion about your answers.
Battlefield V is playable for EA Access and Origin Premier members! If that's you, join our community discussion about the game and share if you think it has improved since its beta over here.
With "Game of the Year" discussion right around the corner, do you rush or feel pressured to finish games before the GotY podcasts? Even if you do not cover games professionally, do you make a mad dash to play everything before the end of the year?
There's a fun Giant Bomb community activity where users try to list every example of video games being referenced in hip-hop or rap songs. Join the community fun over here.
As everyone starts to prepare for the onslaught of 2018's GOTY debates, what’s your favorite video game soundtrack from this year? Which games had the best/worst earworms?
Useful User Reviews
- @brentoland played and reviewed The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. Read why they were thoroughly enamored by Swery's latest game.
- @riostarwind is up to their old tricks even with the site re-design, their review this week is all about Hallow Knight, a game they enjoyed very much.
- @kaos_cracker uses their review of Assassin's Creed Odyssey to discuss why they think it creates a polished world populated by gameplay misgivings.
- Giant Bomb user @wasabiicecream tested out Starlink: Battle for Atlas on the Nintendo Switch and shares their mixed impressions of the game.
Giant Bomb user CaptainNovolin ranked the Legend of Zelda games they have played from best to worst. Whether they employed "science" is up to you to decide.