Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a semi-trailer truck driving simulator and logistics management game developed and published digitally by SCS Software for the PC on October 18, 2012. It was later re-released via Steam on January 16, 2013 (after a successful Steam Greenlight campaign), received post-release Mac and Linux support, and received multiple retail versions in Europe by Excalibur Publishing.
The sequel to the 2008 game Euro Truck Simulator (and its spin-offs German Truck Simulator and UK Truck Simulator), Euro Truck Simulator 2 improves the previous installment's graphical prowess and vehicular physics while increasing the depth of the series's open world (adding new paths and cities while changing the overall scale) and revamping both the company management, truck customization, and player progression systems of the series.
Like the original, players control a customizable truck driver and the owner of their burgeoning trucking company in central Europe. After completing quick delivery jobs as a hired driver (or making a bank loan), players can eventually purchase their own semi-trailer truck, improve their classifications and reputation (to receive better-paying deliveries), and expand their trucking empire (by hiring NPC drivers for their fleet and buying more trucks and garages). Much of the game's driving simulation aspects are customizable, allowing players to approach the game at their own pace (whether its a more realistic setup more suitable for third-party driving controllers or a simplified casual setup).
Since the game's original release, it has received numerous updates that add new features (such as additional customization options with Steam Workshop support, the option to own customizable trailers for delivering cargo, random detour encounters,) while adding new semi-trailer trucks, cargo types, and AI vehicles, improving much of the game's routes and cities, and tweaking the game's UI and physics simulation. It also has numerous expansions and DLC for sale, adding numerous locales (including Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, and Iberia), expanding other locales (including France and Italy), adding new cosmetic options, and adding new cargo types (including oversize loads). Much of the game's updates were also applied to the game's 2016 spin-off, American Truck Simulator.
ETS2 divides the player's attention between driving trucks throughout Europe to deliver goods and managing the logistics of the player's company.
ETS2 is a truck driving simulation at it's core. On the outset, the player is tasked with choosing a load to haul. The player then sets off with a destination and expected time of delivery. Driving fatigue, fuel, cargo damage, truck damage, truck maintenance, and the rules-of-the-road must all be considered as the player makes their way to the drop off point.
The trucks are meticulously simulated. Player's may dive as deep as they want into the simulation aspect of the game. Wipers, lights, high beam lights, a clutch and H-shift, transmission ranges, engine braking, engine retardation, blinkers, and trailer attachment are some of the things the player has full control over. New players, however, have many options to simplify the driving experience.
Once the player reaches their destination, they have the option to park the trailer, which may be quite difficult in some situations. With the trailer successfully delivered, the player is rewarded (minus damage) with currency and experience points.
Coupled with the driving mechanic of the game is the player's business enterprise. The player chooses a starting location for their headquarters as they create their character. The player is given a tiny, run-down garage to begin their business venture. When starting fresh the player does not have access to a truck and must haul loads using a contracted truck, which lowers the amount of compensation for the haul but allows the player to quick-travel between cities to haul freight.
As the player delivers loads and collects currency, the player may then purchase their own truck. This allows the player to make much more money per haul, but also adds more risk and increases the player's travel expenses. Owned trucks must undergo maintenance, be fueled by player currency, and must physically be in the pick-up city to haul a load.
Further progression sees the player hire drivers, buy fleets of trucks, and expand their enterprise to multiple garages across Europe.
Progression is handled through a mutual interaction with the business and driving portion of the game. Successfully delivering freight gives the player experience points and currency. The currency can be used to purchase trucks, upgrades, drivers, and garages. Experience points are used to level up. The player gets one skill point per level up that they can put into skills that open up new types of contract options, increase player compensation, or increase fuel economy.
The base game features 69 cities across 12 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Switzerland and United Kingdom.
The Going East! add-on expands the map with new destinations across Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary with a total of 13 new cities including Warsaw, Krakow, Ostrava, Budapest, Kosice and more.
The Scandinavia add-on further expands the map with 27 new cities across Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
The Vive la France add-one further expands the country of France with 15 new cities.
The Italia add-one further expands the country of Italy with 19 new cities, including Rome, Napoli and Palermo.
The Beyond the Baltic Sea add-on further expands the map with 24 new major cities and many smaller towns across Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Southern Finland and Russian territory including Saint Petersburg and Kaliningrad.
The Road to the Black Sea add-on further expands the map with 20 new major populated cities through Romania, Bulgaria, and the European part of Turkey (Thrace).
The Iberia add-on (In development) further expands the map through Spain and Portugal.
Trucks and Upgrades
The player begins the game without a truck, but can take out a loan from the bank after a few deliveries to purchase their first truck. When creating a profile, the player chooses their preferred manufacturer. The main showroom for the player's preferred manufacturer is shown on the world map, and the player may instantly visit the showroom to purchase their first truck. As the player travels the world, they will discover more dealers representing different truck manufacturers.
The player must visit the showroom to purchase their first five trucks after which they may purchase trucks "online" through a menu instead of having to visit the dealer.
There are seven European truck manufacturers represented in the game, with a total of eight different truck models (Renault has both a Premium and Magnum series truck available.) Each manufacturer has a unique look and feel:
Other than the "Going East!" expansion, all map expansions also add new local industries and cargo types and new Steam achievements.
- Vive la France! - Released on December 5, 2016, expanding France westward. The island of Corsica was added post-release.
- Italia - Released on December 5, 2017, expanding Italy southward. The island of Sardinia was added post-release.
- High Power Cargo Pack - Released on August 14, 2014. Adds seven new high-value cargo types (including tractors, helicopters, and yachts).
- Heavy Cargo Pack - Released on May 12, 2017. Adds eight new heavy cargo types (including bulldozers, power transformers, and train locomotives), as well as two new trailers for heavy cargo, both with steerable rear axles.
- Special Transport - Released on December 13, 2017. Adds eleven new oversized cargo types (including silos, large service boats, and heavy-duty dump trucks), as well as four new trailers for them, all with steerable real axles. Transporting these cargo types are unique as they require unique routes and the use of an AI escort vehicle.
Paint Themes & Accessories
- Halloween Paint Jobs Pack (October 24, 2013)
- Ice Cold Paint Jobs Pack (December 10, 2013)
- Force of Nature Paint Jobs Pack (April 4, 2014)
- Metallic Paint Jobs Pack (May 19, 2014)
- Flip Paint Designs (May 29, 2014)
- Fantasy Paint Jobs Pack (July 15, 2014)
- Christmas Paint Jobs Pack (December 3, 2014)
- Raven Truck Design Pack (December 8, 2014)
- Viking Legends (May 6, 2015)
- Prehistoric Paint Jobs Pack (July 28, 2015)
- Cabin Accessories (September 30, 2015)
- Wheel Tuning Pack (April 13, 2016)
- Window Flags (June 8, 2016)
- Mighty Griffin Tuning Pack (June 28, 2016)
- Schwarzmüller Trailer Pack (September 16, 2016)
- Pirate Paint Jobs Pack (September 19, 2016)
- Michelin Fan Pack (January 10, 2017)
- Dragon Truck Design Pack (February 2, 2017)
- Valentine's Paint Jobs Pack (February 10, 2017)
- XF Tuning Pack (August 18, 2017)
- Space Paint Jobs Pack (August 31, 2018)
- KRONE Trailer Pack (September 17, 2018)
- Goodyear Tyres Pack (August 2, 2019)
- Actros Tuning Pack (September 4, 2019)
- Pink Ribbon Charity Pack (October 1, 2019) - All proceeds donated to multiple charities for breast cancer.
- HS-Schoch Tuning Pack (March 19, 2020)
- FH Tuning Pack (June 2, 2020)
- Super Stripes Paint Jobs Pack (September 17, 2020)
Country Paint Jobs
Each Paint Job Pack has four unique paint jobs based on the country's flag. Sold for $0.99 each.
- UK Paint Jobs Pack (May 20, 2014)
- Irish Paint Jobs Pack (May 20, 2014)
- Scottish Paint Jobs Pack (May 20, 2014)
- Polish Paint Jobs Pack (June 5, 2014)
- Brazilian Paint Jobs Pack (June 11, 2014)
- Canadian Paint Jobs Pack (July 1, 2014)
- USA Paint Jobs Pack (July 3, 2014)
- German Paint Jobs Pack (October 1, 2014)
- French Paint Jobs Pack (October 10, 2014)
- Czech Paint Jobs Pack (October 24, 2014)
- Russian Paint Jobs Pack (March 23, 2015)
- Norwegian Paint Jobs Pack (May 6, 2015)
- Danish Paint Jobs Pack (May 6, 2015)
- Swedish Paint Jobs Pack (May 6, 2015)
- Japanese Paint Jobs Pack (November 9, 2015)
- Hungarian Paint Jobs Pack (April 19, 2016)
- Turkish Paint Jobs Pack (April 19, 2016)
- Slovak Paint Jobs Pack (May 4, 2016)
- Italian Paint Jobs Pack (May 4, 2016)
- Spanish Paint Jobs Pack (June 1, 2016)
- South Korean Paint Jobs Pack (June 21, 2016)
- Chinese Paint Jobs Pack (April 19, 2016)
- Austrian Paint Jobs Pack (July 15, 2016)
- Swiss Paint Jobs Pack (July 15, 2016)
- Finnish Paint Jobs Pack (December 1, 2016)
- Belgian Paint Jobs Pack (December 1, 2016)
- Romanian Paint Jobs Pack (January 20, 2017)
- Australian Paint Jobs Pack (January 20, 2017)
- Portuguese Paint Jobs Pack (June 8, 2018)
- Dutch Paint Jobs Pack (July 26, 2018)
- Estonian Paint Jobs Pack (November 29, 2018)
- Latvian Paint Jobs Pack (November 29, 2018)
- Lithuanian Paint Jobs Pack (November 29, 2018)
- Bulgarian Paint Jobs Pack (December 5, 2019)
PC System Requirements
- Windows XP/Vista/7, Dual core CPU 2.4 GHz
- 2 GB RAM, graphics card with 256 MB memory
- Video card: GeForce 7600 GT-class equivalent or better
- Windows 7, Dual core CPU 3.0 GHz
- 4 GB RAM, graphics card with 1024 MB memory
- Video card: GeForce GTS 450-class equivalent or better