Top Gun is an air combat shooter that has the player take on the role of Maverick as it loosely follows the plot of the original Top Gun movie, by going through the Top Gun Academy with sidekick Goose, and into real combat over the Indian Ocean. Jack Epps Jr., the original screenwriter of the film, helped to add new story elements as well as fresh dialogue from the film's iconic characters, including Goose, Iceman, Jester, Viper, Merlin, Slider, Wolfman and more.
The game focuses on a more "arcade" experience, which means the game is less a flight simulator and instead focuses more on the combat. Guns will never overheat, planes will not stall, and health replenishes over time. The game also contains a cover of the "Danger Zone" song, as well as the Top Gun theme music.
Top Gun: Wingman Edition
On May 24th, 2011, a blu-ray disc was released that includes both the Top Gun video game as well as the original movie on one disc.
The game features a single player campaign with 11 missions that mirrors the 3 acts of the film:
- Prologue, which introduces you to the Soviet enemies.
- Top Gun Academy, where you will compete against Iceman, Merlin, and others for Top Gun honors.
- Indian Ocean, where you will engage in active combat with Russian MiGs over the Indian Ocean.
The game also features a single player Horde Mode, which has you face off against endless waves of increasingly difficult computer controlled enemies.
There are five different 16-player online multiplayer modes:
- Team Deathmatch
- Capture The Flag
- Top Gun (choose your wingman and compete against other enemy pairs)
- Bombing Run (an Attack & Defend mode)
The game has 6 different unlockable fighter jets to choose from, each one with different levels of speed, destruction, agility and durability:
- The US Navy's F-14, F-16, or F/A-18
- The Russian's MiG-29, MiG-31, or Su-27