Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision

Company »

Activision is the largest third-party publisher in the world. It became the first third-party developer for video game consoles, and is responsible for popular franchises such as Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk.

Activision Adding Paid Services & New Online Monetization Models

• 70 results
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Ok I tried making this in the Call of Duty Series page but it won't let me(screwed up thread making problem again) so move it later if a mod wants.     Screwing over PC gamers was just the beginning. Have fun paying Xbox live fees and $15/m for CoD. :|

This was found at neogaf.

Activision Hints at Call of Duty Online Plans
    Gamers demanding additional services and innovations, publisher says.
    by Jim Reilly

US, November 12, 2009 - The online business models for many of Activision's key franchises could start to change in the near future.

During today's BMO Capital Markets Conference, CFO of Activision Blizzard Thomas Tippl was asked if the successful World of Warcraft online business model will ever translate into the publisher's other major franchises, such as Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. While Tippl said WoW's model is difficult to replicate, players should expect new monetization models for its other titles soon enough.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added. "I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

Tippl added there is a demand from its core fanbase willing to pay for additional services and content.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," Tipple explained.

A supposed
    leaked online survey from June possibly hints at what Tippl is driving at. The survey centered around the idea of a monthly service that gives subscribers additional multiplayer and gameplay enhancements for future Call of Duty titles. 

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1044965p1.html 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

"Our gamers are telling us that basic, previously implemented services in our game are not present. From what we see so far, considering the content we omitted the first time, as well as all the services that make no sense in an fps, there is a demand from the core gamers to give us more money over and over again."

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Furyjoell

Fuck Activision!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By meteora

They better not, otherwise I can't find myself justified for killing bitches online for P2P. Not until I get a job anyways.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By myslead

i'm okay with it as long as it does not unbalance the game

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Furyjoell

If I'm already paying for Live then I'm totally not okay with it.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok
    @myslead said:
    "  i'm okay with it as long as it does not unbalance the game "
    You're okay having to pay $15 a month to play a FPS?
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By myslead
    @PureRok said:
    " @myslead said:
    You're okay having to pay $15 a month to play a FPS? "
    well depending on what those additional multiplayer & gameplay enchancements are, no I wouldn't mind.
    but like i said, as long as it does not unbalance the MP, and for me to buy that, it would mean that they actually unbalance the MP ahah.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I'll believe it when I see it... 

future Call of Duty titles

and if I see it, I won't be getting future Call of Duty titles.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PureRok
    @myslead said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @myslead said:
    well depending on what those additional multiplayer & gameplay enchancements are, no I wouldn't mind. but like i said, as long as it does not unbalance the MP, and for me to buy that, it would mean that they actually unbalance the MP ahah. "
    According to this it's the whole game, like an MMO. There wouldn't be anything to unbalance anything. You pay to play.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By TomA

As Price says, "You have to trust someone to be betrayed, I never did".

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Kblt

Activsion responds to gamers who are disgusted over monthly payments for FPS:

-HUEHUEHEUHEUEHUEHEUHEUEHEUHEUHEUHE GIBE MONI PLOS I BAN UR CD KEY HEHEUHEUEHUEHEUHEUHEUE

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I doubt they'll go ahead with it.  While I'm sure some people would pay for it anyway, most would just jump over to Halo or KZ2.  
    ESPECIALLY 360 owners who are already supposed to be paying for this stuff.  Not even Activision are this stupid.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CABBAGES

This will never happen
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Reuben
    @Kblt said:
    "  Activsion responds to gamers who are disgusted over monthly payments for FPS:  -HUEHUEHEUHEUEHUEHEUHEUEHEUHEUHEUHE GIBE MONI PLOS I BAN UR CD KEY HEHEUHEUEHUEHEUHEUHEUE "
    LOL
    FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FongGhoul

Calm down guys.  Where does he say he's going to charge $15/mo? 

It sounds like they're exploring monetization models for new services and gameplay features, not subscription charges for what we're currently getting for free (forgetting XBL fees for now). 

Activision will never charge for basic online play.  What they could do is make a new online multiplayer system - "MW Pro Super Turbo Mode" - with enhanced matchmaking, leaderboard features, clan support, tournaments, etc. and charge people a subscription fee for that. 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By metal_mills
    @CABBAGES said:
    " This will never happen "
    This is activision. They've wanted a subscription service for CoD for a while but IW said no. They can't say no forever.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By apathylad
    Joystiq also posted an article about this, hope it never happens though. If it does, it will be Xbox Live Gold  membership  + DLC $ + Call of Duty membership.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Karmum
    @PureRok said:
    " @myslead said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @myslead said:
    well depending on what those additional multiplayer & gameplay enchancements are, no I wouldn't mind. but like i said, as long as it does not unbalance the MP, and for me to buy that, it would mean that they actually unbalance the MP ahah. "
    According to this it's the whole game, like an MMO. There wouldn't be anything to unbalance anything. You pay to play. "
    Especially if they decide charging $60 a pop for PC games. You're paying $75 initially, then $15 each month afterward.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VWGTI

I ask Activision. 

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

What, you thought PC gamers would be the only ones getting fucked over once you let them start?  As we were told at the time, "if you don't like it, don't buy it".

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By natetodamax

Absolutely not.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Hamz

I see absolutely no problem with Activision doing this. It's up to them how they run their company and adjust existing policy or create new business models. I don't get why people would be so angry about it, in fact I'd go out on a limb here and say I support our new corporate overlords. Say it with me kids, ALL HAIL ACTIVISION! ALL HAIL ACTIVISION!

Just don't expect me to buy a product associated with them in the future if they do go through with this ;)

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

Activision wants more money out of people? who knew.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PercyChuggs

They haven't done anything yet, this thread title is terribly incorrect.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By FireBurger

I think Activision is getting a little carried away with themselves. If they go through with this, they're going to get a rude awakening to their own mortality.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By meptron

if they go ahead with this that's fine. I'll just find another game to replace it...

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bubahula

wait so im paying for the game, and live, and they want me to pay a subscription? 
    if thats actually true i am just going to find another game. what the fuck are they thinking? what part of it justifies a fee? its one fps.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By flaminghobo

If this occurs then I refuse to buy another Call of Duty title and perhaps any Activision published game.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

i just have to say infinity ward wants ur money. i just think that it is a bad idea to do that. people will have to pay for live and another subscription fee.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By meteora

This would be a pretty stupid move on Activision; one that I have no idea where they pulled out of. I mean seriously, just by making us pay subscriptions they'll lose millions of consumers. Who would want to lose that money?

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Origina1Penguin

What scares me more than the possibility of this happening is that it will work.  I'm disgusted by the number of people on my friends list that have bought shitty avatar clothing and props, even though I thought not so many people would get behind $5+ outfits that do absolutely nothing.

LtWeight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LtWeight
    @Meteora said:
    " This would be a pretty stupid move on Activision; one that I have no idea where they pulled out of. I mean seriously, just by making us pay subscriptions they'll lose millions of consumers. Who would want to lose that money? "
    Isn't that what we said about Activision/IW screwing over the PC platform (not exactly millions though...)? The game is seeming to do really well on PC. I'll be picking it up soon, and will have lots of fun with my 300 ping.  

Don't put MMO in my FPS. The pc controversy made me somewhat mad, not mad enough to not buy the game, but if they do this, see ya Activision... I don't have enough time to make the $15/m worth it, and thats probably the same with lots of others.
    Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mgsfreak

No dice.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By meteora
    @LtWeight said:
    " @Meteora said:
    " This would be a pretty stupid move on Activision; one that I have no idea where they pulled out of. I mean seriously, just by making us pay subscriptions they'll lose millions of consumers. Who would want to lose that money? "
    Isn't that what we said about Activision/IW screwing over the PC platform (not exactly millions though...)? The game is seeming to do really well on PC. I'll be picking it up soon, and will have lots of fun with my 300 ping.   Don't put MMO in my FPS. The pc controversy made me somewhat mad, not mad enough to not buy the game, but if they do this, see ya Activision... I don't have enough time to make the $15/m worth it, and thats probably the same with lots of others. "
    Yeah I suppose you're right, but subscription fees apply universally on all platforms and we have to fork up money... monthly.
    LtWeight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LtWeight
    @Meteora said:
    " @LtWeight said:
    " @Meteora said:
    Isn't that what we said about Activision/IW screwing over the PC platform (not exactly millions though...)? The game is seeming to do really well on PC. I'll be picking it up soon, and will have lots of fun with my 300 ping.   Don't put MMO in my FPS. The pc controversy made me somewhat mad, not mad enough to not buy the game, but if they do this, see ya Activision... I don't have enough time to make the $15/m worth it, and thats probably the same with lots of others. "
    Yeah I suppose you're right, but subscription fees apply universally on all platforms and we have to fork up money... monthly. "
    The things I (my parents) fork over money for are actually worth it though. Phone for texting, internet for gaming, and the internet.. Tv for sports, shows.  

I subscribed to Champions Online for 2 months, first month was worth it, but second month just got boring, probably since I didn't have much time to devote to it. Champions seems like it brought a lot more new things than a FPS would bring to the table,  and $15/m might be justified for it. I get bored with Cod4 every now and again, and I don't pay for that. I would think that your boredom would intensify with you forking over $15/m for it.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah... screw this.  Already paying for XBLG.

LtWeight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LtWeight
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Yeah... screw this.  Already paying for XBLG. "  
    Ditch 360. Get gaming PC.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @LtWeight said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Yeah... screw this.  Already paying for XBLG. "  
    Ditch 360. Get gaming PC. "
    Would if I could.  Probably.
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Crixaliz

Daily quests in Call of Duty?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By meteora
    @Crixaliz said:
    " Daily quests in Call of Duty? "
    Kill 500 enemies in one day.

Grindtastic!
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By StarFoxA

If Activision charges for me to play Modern Warfare 2 online, I'm selling the game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By JoelTGM

they wouldn't

LtWeight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LtWeight
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " they wouldn't "
    "They wont take dedicated servers" 
    "They wont take away mods" 
    "They wont gimp the pc verison" 

Yes they will.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iam3green: It's not Infinity Ward...
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By George_Hukas

Wow.. this has nothing to do with Modern Warfare 2. NOTHING.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mourne
    @FongGhoul said:
    "It sounds like they're exploring monetization models for new services and gameplay features, not subscription charges for what we're currently getting for free (forgetting XBL fees for now).  Activision will never charge for basic online play. "
    Judging from the lack of 'new' gameplay features in MW2, I'm concerned as to what they would consider worthy of holding back in order to charge for them. You can say they won't charge for basic online play, and that may be true--it's just that what you get without paying will be something more than basic.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You heard it here first: They're going to charge for dedicated servers.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By imhuntad

Man...and I was worried about the balancing of the game so far. If this happens i'm gonna go play halo, and then kill myself for doing it.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Infinity Ward need to go away from Activision now! Make another series and make it from the ideas of their next COD but under a new label and put a sticker implying that it's made from the guys who made COD and people will buy it!. I would. 

Actually if they don't do this maybe it's Activision just trying to keep you on note about there games and thinking about the game see if none of this shit is getting published then people will just forget about some of there games. Maybe this just made no sense but it does in my head, I just get out in words. 

Edit: arhh got it this is keeping them in the spotlight, that's what I'm trying to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.