Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed II

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The second installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise follows the life of Ezio Auditore da Firenze as he seeks revenge on those who betrayed his family.

First review is in...kinda.

• 58 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

The UK branch of OXM had posted this today. 

OXM's Mike Channell was the first non-Ubisoft person in the world to complete the game, the company tells us, and he was impressed. It addresses nearly all the gripes we had with the original game, including all that artificial flag-collecting nonsense, and delivers a brilliant single-player experience that's built around a cracking story.

We can't say any more 'cos it's all embargoed, so pick up the new issue for all the juicy details. it's in stores now, or you can buy a single issue online.

Obviously this preview of a review is just another marketing ploy in order to move more copies, but way not if you sell more copies right? 

I am glad to see that Ubisoft stood by their word and addressed most of the issues people had with the first game. I am going to wait until the PS3 version is reviewed and see if they fixed the issues that plagued the PS3 version of the first game. I played the first game on my 360 but I hear that the PS3 version had a few problems.  

So first review is in...well kinda, and its a good ol' 9. Now lets wait and see what the other reviews say about it.  

P.S - I know some of you don't like this game, and its ok by me, but please if you have nothing to add but your 4th grade abbreviations, then keep your comment to yourself. Some of us here actually enjoyed the first game very much, despite it's imperfections. 
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FunExplosions

I have the first for ps3 and I can tell you honestly that I didn't face one problem like you said you heard of. Only problem I had with it was that they couldn't implement trophies in time. It sucks that I'm apparently one of the few that agrees with you that the first game was good.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @FunExplosions: From what I heard the PS3 version of this game had suffered from Frame Rate Drops and the graphics did not look quite as good as the 360 version. 
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

I really liked the first AC but yea, those flag collecting missions were indeed bullshit. I dunno why anyone would do those, except maybe if you're a crazy completionist who absolutely has to get 1000/1000 achievements on every game you own. 

And I dunno if I even rescued every citizen by the end of the game. It's kinda foggy, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. By the end, I'd gotten kinda sick of rescuing those poor innocents from the bullying of the city guards. The apathy had just started to set in, I think. Didn't really care about their woes anymore. I'm not sure how Batman does it, night after night. He's a better guy then me, cause yea... I just couldn't get interested in exacting justice anymore. The drive just wasn't there. It'd been bled out of me. Very uh, very nonchalant about the bullying. Just found the cries annoying. That's me, I'm not a messiah. I'm not Batman. I can't stand to fly. It's not easy. Wait, that's a song about Superman. Oh well.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rowr

First game was fantastic, i enjoyed it far more than i expected to after all the mixed reviews. My main complaint was that the game was too easy, i'm hoping they have ramped up the difficulty a little.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Toxin066

All I got out of that was "the grievances have been attended to".   Wish I could hear more. I'm pretty psyched for AC2. Loved the first one. All of it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Rowr: so you enjoyed the retarded ai, the repetitive missions, riding that horse for miles, collecting flags etc etc etc!?!?!?! the first game fucking sucked!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hope this game meets my expectations. Loved the first game, but for some reason I'm getting turned off by the marketing direction. We'll see, I suppose.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I played Assassin's Creed in June of this year on my 360. It turned out to be a wonderful June. I liked it a lot. I could see where the criticism came from, but for me, I loved it.

I'm so hyped for Assassin's Creed II. I'm going to buy it day one. Now where's my wallet?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai
    @Claude said:

I'm going to buy it day one. Now where's my wallet? "

I have no idea. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Claude said:
    " I played Assassin's Creed in June of this year on my 360. It turned out to be a wonderful June. I liked it a lot. I could see where the criticism came from, but for me, I loved it.  I'm so hyped for Assassin's Creed II. I'm going to buy it day one. Now where's my wallet? "
    I got the first free with my 360.  I haven't touched it, so my level of interest in the 2nd hasn't started yet.  My younger daughter played a little of it and quite liked it.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The first game was pretty impressive, though I found it to be pretty darn repetitive, so I gave up on it. It looks like I'll have to try the sequel, however.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#13  Edited By Soap
    @Mordukai said:
    " @FunExplosions: From what I heard the PS3 version of this game had suffered from Frame Rate Drops and the graphics did not look quite as good as the 360 version.  "
    Your spot on, and as one of very few people weird enough to have completed it to 100% of both consoles I should know lol.
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By MrSnow
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Rowr: so you enjoyed the retarded ai, the repetitive missions, riding that horse for miles, collecting flags etc etc etc!?!?!?! the first game fucking sucked!!! "
    It had its problems like the weapons and stuff. And the non skipable cutscenecs. One mission was really hard where you had to kill 3 guys without anyone seeing you and i wanted to smash the tv because i dont give a fuck about whatever he is talking about.

But if overlook this it was a preety fun game. Wish there was a diffculty setting where you couldnt just stand your ground and massacare the presuing soilders.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Karmum

Can't wait for this game. Only three more weeks or so, right?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax

Cool.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VWGTI
    @Karmum: 

Yep! I can't wait either. I really enjoyed the first game and the second looks even better.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I enjoyed the first, and I hope their work on fixing it's problems pays off; if it does this could end up being extremely impressive. The repetive side missions and rather underdeveloped story were the only large complaints I had with it.

That said, AC2 isn't really on my 'must buy' list, but I'll get to it eventually.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Rowr: so you enjoyed the retarded ai, the repetitive missions, riding that horse for miles, collecting flags etc etc etc!?!?!?! the first game fucking sucked!!! "
    The AI wasn't retarded it wasn't anything special but there was nothing wrong with it same as any stealth game, Yes the missions were repetitive I will give you that but the story at the end of them was so worth it, riding the horse was a small part of the game and it looked cool, Collecting flags? If your talking about the achievement flags that is optional if you mean the missions where you run on the rooftops to get flags in a certain time those were incredible short but fun little platforming bits.

The Game was great: Awesome story, awesome combat system, Great graphics, Perfect? Not by a long shot but still a great one.
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By RedRoach

hey guys, i just bought a copy of the AC 2 preview OXM issue. I think you should know before you buy the issue, that the 4 page article contains SPOILERS of the first 3 hours. i was excited to see assassins creed 2 all over the cover of the latest oxm, but once i opened up my copy, there is a big spoiler warning at the start of the article. OXM needs to put spoiler warnings on the cover so we don't buy issues for a specific article and then don't even read it. But of course they wont, because it means less money in their pockets.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am definitely excited for this game and I am glad the first, though exclusive, coverage is positive. I will wait to hear what more reviews say to get a good feeling of it.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rayfield

I'm excited for AC2. It looks like they've fleshed out the gameplay a hell of a lot. As long as you can still stab beggars when they ask you for money, I am on board.
    b_radt007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By b_radt007

I really enjoyed the first game despite it's faults, honestly the thing I found most annoying was the last boss....I just thought it was a lame fight.  But I thought the first deserved an 8.5 or so, maybe a 9.   

I think this game or Modern Warfare 2 will be Game of the Year.  I'm betting it gets 5/5 from Giant Bomb, 9.5 from Gamespot.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By End_Boss

The original was a good first step. Here's hoping the sequel really brings the house down.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#25  Edited By citizenkane

Too bad I won't play this game until December.  Damn you MW2!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By TheHBK

Its pretty retarded for them to hold off the reviews like that, especially when they burned players with the last game and it turned out to be less than promised. Gamers are not so forgiving and trusting, so reviews are important.

ranbir_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ranbir_flame

I would say that the first review will most probably come a few days before the release.    

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well this may only be marketing but it's at least a little bit promising. Thank god they've got rid of those damn flags.

Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scorpinox
    @TwoOneFive said:

"@Rowr: so you enjoyed the retarded ai, the repetitive missions, riding that horse for miles, collecting flags etc etc etc!?!?!?! the first game fucking sucked!!! "

I kinda agree,but chill out on the hate.The 1st game WAS awesome until I got about 1/2 way through it and it just got boring.However,Assassin's Creed 2 looks very impressive and like a great improvement over the 1st so I'll probly be buying it for PS3.    
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks

Wow, I had no idea a review was out already. Nice to know it's on the right track, but I will be looking  for more credible reviews.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bubahula

i didn't really like the first game. but this one seems to have fixed all my problems with it so, ill keep it on watch

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Jayzilla

Yeah, the first game was a mixed bag for me. I agree with all of the criticisms and also found the games combat, parkour, and look to be top-notch. The ending was awful, and the story sucks. I am supposed to believe that this Desmond Miles character was related to a Jewish Assassin during the Crusades, and got whatever the shady organization needed from him with the Animus.  Fast forward to Assassin's Creed 2 and Desmond is miraculously related to an Italian Assassin during the Renaissance?  I am all for creative license, but don't you have to draw the line somewhere? I know that Leonardo DaVinci got his first job in real life designing siege weapons, so I think it is cool that they incorporated that.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Griddler

Awesome, he says the story is good and that's the main thing I'm looking for in AC2.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By juice8367

I loved the first one actually.  So much so that I jumped on message boards that talked about the symbols right at the end of the game.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolemnOaf

Less repetition, no flags, better story, sure that's all great...but will it have an ending this time?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Mordukai:
    They are promoting the PS3 version as the leading version. The PS3 box is in the front in all of the trailers, the limited edition ads always only show the PS3 version, and it has the "you get extra stuff if you hook it up to your PSP" feature, so I feel pretty confident that the PS3 version is going be just fine.
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinkshley1

I'm way more hyped for this game than L4D2.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kohe321

The first one was good, so I can't wait until GB reviews the sequel. It looks amazing from what I've seen of it so far.

ChuckLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ChuckLee

I loved the first AC. Two problems though. 

1. As stated above those god damn flags were bullshit! 
    2. Towards the end of the game it was kind of repititive.. and i just wanted to finish the game and get it over with. 

From what i've seen so far AC2 looks great.. so far. It looks like they polished up some of the flaws from the first AC. 
    I'll keep in touch until it comes out!
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By Ujio

Just got my copy of Official PlayStation Magazine yesterday and they gave it their Eds. Choice.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By me3639

If you want to read a full article review go here and click on the ps3. They gave it a 92%.

http://www.gamerzines.com/

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Rhaknar

i loved the first game, finished it, enjoyed it, but whoever says it didnt have problems, especially the repetition (all 9 assassinations or how many there were were all exactly the same set of 5 little pre-missions that you didnt even have to do most of them, goes to show how much i loved the look and gameplay of the game that I did them all everytime) is just being blind. Its fine to say you liked it DESPITE the issues, theres nothing wrong with liking a flawed game, but to say that it wasnt flawed.... damn.

In fact, this is a huge pet peeve of mine, people unable to say a game is bad or mediocre or whatever, but like it. Or the opposite, where you dont like a game so its automatically shit. It seems for 90% of the people, if you like it it must be good, if you dont like it, it must be bad.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Red12b
    @oldschool: 
    You should I think you might like it, a problem that most people had was the control scheme, It is a puppeteers control scheme and I think it is brilliant, It fits in with the story, It is a little violent though, so, I don't know, at least try it, If you are interested in that time in history at all,  

@CitizenKane said:
    " Too bad I won't play this game until December.  Damn you MW2! "
    Yes I agree, damn a good game to be played, Lvl 21, Progress is slow.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Red12b
    @Rhaknar:  

Oh yeah, It had it's flaws, not sayin it didn't but when you look past them, and realise what the developers were trying to convay, You see it's beauty, 

the 5 missions for example sure they are extremly repetitive, and godamn so hard to sit on a bench and listen... 
    Urgh, but you get more story and it becomes more fleshed out, I liked that aspect of it, And I hope that this game will retain that element of the story. 

Also please please make the cut scenes skipable, Dear god, takes away re playability, 
    Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kiro

It's good that they have fixed the repetitive gameplay, or so they claim at least. But i really hope they also did something about the dialog, The first game only had a handful of voice actors for the not so important characters and nearly even less lines of dialog. It made the world seem so Oblivion-ish.

Theif, i'll have your hand for that!

obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By obiwan

It is rumored that the publisher brokered with the reviewers for guaranteed favorable reviews in exchange of early release of reviews. Is the OXM review credible?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By citizenkane
    @Red12b: I am on Level 35.  Starting on the challenges for the SCAR-H after completing most for the M4A1.  ^__^
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Red12b
    @CitizenKane:  
    Sorry to hijack the thread, But Yeah the SCAR is good, I just unlocked thermal scope,  
    bling thermal and silencer, pure deadness, 

Xbox or PS3?
    Bitemarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bitemarks

I liked the first game despite it's problems. I suppose that's a testament to how fun the game play was, major flaws aside. 
    P.S-where did you hear this nonsense about the PS3 version? I'm pretty sure AC1 was developed on the PS3. Many reviews actually mention how it even runs and looks slightly better on the PS3 so I doubt they would do it any different this time around.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By citizenkane
    @Red12b: Xbox 360

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.