Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

BioShock 2 Multiplayer Is The Prequel Part

• 82 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    If you're already thinking about teabagging little sisters, you're a bad person.
    If you're already thinking about teabagging little sisters, you're a bad person.
    Back in October, BioShock 2 was described as being both a sequel and a prequel to the original BioShock. This touched off a heavy round of speculation about the game and if it would contain some kind of flashback in its story. Today, 2K released details on the game's multiplayer, and those earlier comments finally make some degree of sense.

The multiplayer in BioShock 2 takes place before the events of the first game. In fact, it'll take place during the fall of Rapture. According to the released info, you'll play as a "plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics."

The info doesn't get specific about what the modes or options are, but it does state that players will earn experience points as they play, which unlocks access to additional plasmids, tonics, and weapons. Locations like Mercury Suites and the Kashmir Restaurant will appear in their pre-fall form.

The multiplayer is receiving external development assistance from Digital Extremes, the Canadian company that helped out with the PS3 version of the first game and most-recently developed Dark Sector. The company is perhaps best known for its multiplayer-focused development in some of the Unreal Tournament games.

The revelation that the multiplayer will occur before Rapture gets completely torn up is probably the coolest thing I've seen or heard about BioShock 2 so far. Does this news impact any of your hopes and fears about the game?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Back in October, BioShock 2 was described as being both a sequel and a prequel to the original BioShock. This touched off a heavy round of speculation about the game and if it would contain some kind of flashback in its story. Today, 2K released details on the game's multiplayer, and those earlier comments finally make some degree of sense.

The multiplayer in BioShock 2 takes place before the events of the first game. In fact, it'll take place during the fall of Rapture. According to the released info, you'll play as a "plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics."

The info doesn't get specific about what the modes or options are, but it does state that players will earn experience points as they play, which unlocks access to additional plasmids, tonics, and weapons. Locations like Mercury Suites and the Kashmir Restaurant will appear in their pre-fall form.

The multiplayer is receiving external development assistance from Digital Extremes, the Canadian company that helped out with the PS3 version of the first game and most-recently developed Dark Sector. The company is perhaps best known for its multiplayer-focused development in some of the Unreal Tournament games.

The revelation that the multiplayer will occur before Rapture gets completely torn up is probably the coolest thing I've seen or heard about BioShock 2 so far. Does this news impact any of your hopes and fears about the game?
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Meh, cool idea, but I'm still holding 'till the game comes out before I jump to any conclusion on it's quality and coolness.

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ryu

I was gonna get it anyway but that sounds cool.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

...However cool it sounds, I'm waiting until I see it in motion before I pass judgement. Like, I still wish multi-player wasn't part of BioShock 2, to be honest. I mean, even if it is good (which I doubt) it's still going to have a tiny online community.

And I guarantee there will be a ton of stupid online achievments for this, e.g. kill 10,000 players, win 500 games.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Gmanall

And people thought that  MP for Bioshock would be a bad thing. 

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FlipperDesert

That certainly does sound interesting, though I don't see much strategy in it without the hazards like pools of water on the ground you can shock people in.

Does this mean there'll be some kind of story element to the multiplayer?

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I dunno... I'm not trying to hate, but the SHOOTING was the worst part of Bioshock, or in my case, the wrenching.  Considering that is almost all the multiplayer is, I feel like they will be emphasizing the worst part of Bioshock by doing this.  I'm not asking for it to be like Call of Duty 4 or anything, but does anybody here actually expect to play this online for more than an hour?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Chummy8

I'm still not happy that they are including multiplayer into this game.  They better not cut the singleplayer short just to pander to multiplayer.

Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
    GristleMcThornbody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irrational Games, now 2k Boston, isn't touching this game. 2k Marin is the primary dev.

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheClap

This opens up a lot of possibilities for the MP.  This way they'll be able to show numerous locations at different times, without having to provide a story arc for each.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Gmanall
    TekZero said:
    "

I'm still not happy that they are including multiplayer into this game.  They better not cut the singleplayer short just to pander to multiplayer.

"
    They are outsourcing it, if the SP sucks it is there own fault. 
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chummy8
    TheClap said:
    "This opens up a lot of possibilities for the MP.  This way they'll be able to show numerous locations at different times, without having to provide a story arc for each."

It's prolly the only way that they can fit multiplayer into the Bioshock universe.  However, I am still concerned for the singleplayer being neglected.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

Still need to play the 1st Bioshock

CaptainElvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainElvis

i'm hoping that they actually put work into making the MP good, since BioShock is a single player game, and single player story and gameplay is done very well i wouldn't want them to just throw in MP just to say they have it like many games try to do. Stick to what you do well, and now that they have released it has MP, lets just hope they do that well also

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BoG

Honestly, that's actually pretty clever. If they're going to add mutiplayer to the series, this is the way to do it. 

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghostin

Just like with the reveal of the DJ Hero's waffle iron, this announcement - while not unexpected - leaves me a little cold.   Everytime they bring me back onside with Bioshock 2 they show me another thing I'm supposed to want - but don't.  It seems disingenuous to say the Bioshock feedback wanted multiplayer.  If they can spin that line out, why should I believe the last commentary about them being a safe pair of hands... Multiplayer was just the easy choice to add value for the investors of the product, and secure a bigger budget for the developer.  How'd they pitch it?

'It's like Shadowrun seen through a lavalamp.'

I just hope, now we are stuck with it, they don't pull a Farcry 2 and give us multiplayer achievements.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By grilledcheez

This article made the multiplayer sound a whole lot better, the leveling system sounds fun as does the general concept surrounding mp...I like it. :)

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Shabs

I'm of two minds about this.

Multiplayer will probably be fun, and having another studio doing it means that it won't affect single player.  That's cool.

Calling it a "prequel" is not doing justice to the idea of a prequel.  You could probably set a pretty cool RPG in a functional Rapture.  I'd prefer if they just called this what it is - a standalone multiplayer mode that doesn't fit into BioShock canon, but can be properly developed without having to remake all of the assets required.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BinaryDragon

The idea to take bioshock and splice (pun intended) it with a CoD4 style of upgrade system is pretty cool. Can we have a prestige mode pls? :D

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AllanIceman

I guess I am a bad person then.

XuShin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By XuShin

hmmm interesting...

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sharpshooter

I really like that idea. So simple and yet so cool. We get the sequel we want and we get to see what Rapture was like before the shit really hit the fan. Bravo 2K bravo.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kyle

Sigh... We really don't need it, but I suppose if we're going to get Bioshock multiplayer anyways, this is at least some kind of step in the right direction... I think?

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By DaemonBlack

As long as the single player is as amazing as the original. Multiplayer is whatev.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn

I still don't think multiplayer in Bioshock is a great idea, but at least they're outsourcing it to a team that knows how to do good multiplayer.  That gives me a bit more hope.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pibo47

Oh god...its being done by the dark sector tards....what have they done. At least the 2k guys are doing to SP...don't have to waste their time with the MP...hopefully make a good game. There still should not be a bioshock 2.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yzzerdd

No just no.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#30  Edited By JackiJinx
    BoG said:
    "Honestly, that's actually pretty clever. If they're going to add mutiplayer to the series, this is the way to do it. "
    My thoughts exactly. It's rather shameful that so many people are skeptical about the sequel. It can work, and I believe it will, especially if ideas like this are being created. Most other developers would've just taken a bunch of big daddies, thrown them together, and proclaim, "This is your multi-player. Go frolic," but no. We're getting something that has so much more potential. Good stuff.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#31  Edited By ImperiousRix

Eeeeh, though I feel that this'll turn out better than most people suspect, I'm really not all that sure that it's necessary to have multiplayer in Bioshock.  I mean, unless this single player is far inferior (which I suspect it might be) to its predecessor, I can't see many people getting really into this.

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By EndlessMike

Sounds kind of gimmicky. It's like how they continued the Warcraft universe in WoW instead of a proper Warcraft 4. Storyline + multiplayer = dumb.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yzzerdd

Yes I too eagerly await exciting modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture the Flag TM

mooseburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mooseburger

I also think that giving Bioshock multiplayer the COD4 style treatment sounds pretty interesting.  It seems that a lot of the plasmids would work pretty nicely as perks.  Who knows if that's how it'll work, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

I don't know why people hate so much before it happens, like it's a sin to add multiplayer to a series like Bioshock.  Sure games like Metroid Prime 2 don't provide great track records, but if you ask me it's innocent 'til proven guilty.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By darkjester74

That's a brilliant design decision, imho.  For once the MP part of a game now makes sense in the scope of the story, and I am really excited to see pre-fall Rapture.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#36  Edited By Vinchenzo

MP mode? Not buying the game now. What a shitty decision.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By Reverseface

MP could be really fun. I never get why people diss SP games when they add a MP it's not like it's gonna hurt the game if you don't like it don't play it only play the SP.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Megalon

I'm a tad skeptical...but I'm definitely interested in how this works out. Most of the appeal of Rapture for me was the atmosphere of the city in ruin; I'm not so sure I'll dig it pre-ruin as much. But Bioshock was rad enough for me to give these dudes the benefit of the doubt for now. 

KyleBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KyleBaron

Just what I always wanted in Bioshock...multiplayer deathmatch? Huh? Who the hell asked for multiplayer? *sigh*, what next, Lego Bioshock? Bioshock: Aerosmith/world tour?

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ElectricHaggis

It sounds more like a simple premise for competitive multiplayer than an important story component to me.
    And wasn't the multiplayer in Dark Sector busted?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By spiceninja

I don't understand why people wanted MP from the first game. It didn't need it and BioShock 2 doesn't need it either. It's pointless. Just because a game is in 1st person doesn't mean it automatically needs multiplayer.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Burns09

Some games just should not have a multiplayer mode, Bioshock is one of them.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am glad they are taking a careful approach to multiplayer, adding some story into it. I am extremely hyped for this game and I think it will be awesome. This is just more icing on the cake.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By Seroth

I've always thought Bioshock multiplayer would be fun, just for the use of plasmids. Just like how I think the Bionic Commando multiplayer is awesome because of the bionic arm... Why does everyone hate multiplayer with cool gimmicks like those? Do we all just want "omg shooting and leveling"?

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By warchief

meh, more interested in the main story / single player.

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kbm600

That's a fantastic approach. I wish Halo had taken this route.

deerpoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deerpoob

bioshock shouldnt have multiplayer, but if it had to, this is totally what I would want.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

o, really?

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By masternater27

Makes me feel less bad that I'm definitely buying this.

HaYHaYHaY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HaYHaYHaY

hmm... was thinking it would be similar to SystemShock 2's co-op multiplayer...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.