Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine breaks its sales target and all who oppose.

• 160 results
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By GunnBjorn

Okay, they've got no excuse now. Atlus can now invest in an English translated version and with a well-aimed marketing campaign this game should sell really well!
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Bocam

Was Persona 4 released in Europe?

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By mutha3
    @Bocam said:
    " Was Persona 4 released in Europe? "
    Yes.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By Catolf
    @GunnBjorn said:
    "
    Okay, they've got no excuse now. Atlus can now invest in an English translated version and with a well-aimed marketing campaign this game should sell really well! "
    but how would they market it? Even the trailer's shown might get slammed by the fox news crowd.. would like have to play after dark or something XP But then again, any publicity is good publicity.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @mutha3 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Bocam said: 

@FluxWaveZ:  The have low expectations for their non-Persona games "
    I'm pretty sure they don't.  
    Um, he's right. Atlus games rarely break 100k for a territory. "
    I really should have clarified there. I mean, I'm pretty sure they have low sales expectations also for their Persona games. 

@Catolf said: 

" but how would they market it? Even the trailer's shown might get slammed by the fox news crowd.. would like have to play after dark or something XP But then again, any publicity is good publicity. "

The game has much more to it than its sexual themes so they could just focus on that aspect of the game for publicity instead of the other way around for the initial Japanese advertisements.    
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Brendan
    @SuperSambo said:
    " @damswedon
    @SuperSambo said:
    " It broke it's target by 10k? Why is that newsworthy? "
    It isn't that is why this is a forum. I'll add a GiantBomb meme to the original post if that will help make that more like a normal topic.
    Ok, noteworthy then. But as 150k was all time and 160k was 1 week then I see why it is. "
    Atlus is also known for low-balling its sales targets, so take that as you will.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @OtakuGamer said:
    "Let me guess, its not going to be released in Europe? Damn. "
    It probably will, but probably later than in North America and, by the time it was released, I would think most who wanted to play it would have already imported it. I don't think it'll sell horribly there, but probably not as well as Japan or NA when compared.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Catolf
    @FluxWaveZ:  Though it is hard to avoid the focus (not saying the games focus is sex) but it is focusing on adult relationships and the puzzle platforming parts. it would be hard to market if not for making a whole new trailer or snipping parts of it and pasting it into a new one...  Speaking of has any ATLUS made game been on TV for trailer wise? (not published games just atlus made)
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mutha3
    @Catolf said:
    " @FluxWaveZ:  Though it is hard to avoid the focus (not saying the games focus is sex) but it is focusing on adult relationships and the puzzle platforming parts. it would be hard to market if not for making a whole new trailer or snipping parts of it and pasting it into a new one...  Speaking of has any ATLUS made game been on TV for trailer wise? (not published games just atlus made) "
    From everything I've heard from JP players and seen, its not anything you wouldn't find in a PG-13 movie.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bocam
    @Catolf:  In Japan there have been some Atlus games that had TV-Spots
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By keyhunter

Japan loves sexy games.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Catolf: There's absolutely no way that there'll be the exact same Japanese trailer for Catherine in North America, if that's what you're saying. They'll make a new one. And, the fact that the game focuses on adult relationships is almost irrelevant when it comes to basic publicity such as trailers. There are a whole lot of things that could be shown in them without the need to zoom in on Catherine's boobs or show her having sex with Vincent. There's nothing too explicit and it'd be very easy to make a trailer that wouldn't bring about controversy.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Catolf
    @Bocam:  I'm sure they did over in Japan, i just mean in NA i've never even seen a trauma center game advertised on TV, I think they rely more on word of mouth here.

@FluxWaveZ: I know they wouldn't be able to use the same trailor.. cept for one, i don't think there was another to worry about in like.. trailer..three.. or was is six.. I can't remember.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#65  Edited By Vinny_Says

cool, but comparing it to a game that has already sold 5 million copies is kinda weird. I guess I now know what Japan likes, sexy ahnime ladies and monster hunting.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By Fallen189

Good for them, I guess. 

It still looks TERRIBLE

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @Catolf said:
    " @GunnBjorn said:
    "
    Okay, they've got no excuse now. Atlus can now invest in an English translated version and with a well-aimed marketing campaign this game should sell really well! "
    but how would they market it? Even the trailer's shown might get slammed by the fox news crowd.. would like have to play after dark or something XP But then again, any publicity is good publicity. "
    Remember Persona 3 with teenagers shooting themselves in the head? That made the news and they did fine.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Catolf
    @ChrisTaran said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @GunnBjorn said:
    "
    but how would they market it? Even the trailer's shown might get slammed by the fox news crowd.. would like have to play after dark or something XP But then again, any publicity is good publicity. "
    Remember Persona 3 with teenagers shooting themselves in the head? That made the news and they did fine. "
    I don't remember that int he news.. at all. Maybe in gaming news, unless i missed something.

@Fallen189 said:
    " Good for them, I guess.  It still looks TERRIBLE "

fabulous trolling sir.. simply fabulous.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Fallen189
    @Catolf said:
    " @ChrisTaran said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @GunnBjorn said:
    "
    Remember Persona 3 with teenagers shooting themselves in the head? That made the news and they did fine. "
    I don't remember that int he news.. at all. Maybe in gaming news, unless i missed something.

@Fallen189 said:
    fabulous trolling sir.. simply fabulous. "
    Just because I'm not a hardcore japanophile, and expressing my opinion, that's trolling? 

Right.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Catolf
    @Fallen189:  Your entitled to your opinion that something about this game is 'TERRIBLE" but unless you sit and describe what your speaking of and just just in general I take it as such. How about expressing WHY you think something is terrible. Is that to much to ask?

Also it was nice of you to at least congratulate them. I should have said as such.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Fallen189 said:
    " Just because I'm not a hardcore japanophile, and expressing my opinion, that's trolling?  Right. "
    I don't see what a "hardcore japanophile" has anything to do with this. I'm not sure why you felt the need to randomly say it looked terrible in a topic that's not destined to discuss the game itself.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By benjaebe

Good news! Hope they announce a localized release soon :)

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#73  Edited By MikeGosot
    @benjaebe said:
    " Good news! Hope they announce a localized release soon :) "
    Speaking about that, have you people ever tought that they made the game on the X360 just to see the capacities of the console? I mean, Catherine itself was supposed to be a "test of this generation", so... Maybe they didn't planned to make a NA release. D: 
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By benjaebe
    @MikeGosot said:
    " @benjaebe said:
    Speaking about that, have you people ever tought that they made the game on the X360 just to see the capacities of the console? I mean, Catherine itself was supposed to be a "test of this generation", so... Maybe they didn't planned to make a NA release. D:  "
    Considering the amount of international coverage this game has gotten, they'd be stupid not to localize it for other countries. Besides, with the 360 market the way it is in Japan, why would they even bother testing the capabilities of a console that no one bought?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jimbo

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MikeGosot
    @benjaebe said:
    " Besides, with the 360 market the way it is in Japan, why would they even bother testing the capabilities of a console that no one bought? "
    LOL. 

Anyway, when you think this game gonna be released here?
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77  Edited By Animasta
    @MikeGosot said:
    " @benjaebe said:
    " Besides, with the 360 market the way it is in Japan, why would they even bother testing the capabilities of a console that no one bought? "
    LOL.  Anyway, when you think this game gonna be released here? "
    December, probably
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#78  Edited By Hailinel
    @benjaebe said:
    " @MikeGosot said:
    " @benjaebe said:
    Speaking about that, have you people ever tought that they made the game on the X360 just to see the capacities of the console? I mean, Catherine itself was supposed to be a "test of this generation", so... Maybe they didn't planned to make a NA release. D:  "
    Considering the amount of international coverage this game has gotten, they'd be stupid not to localize it for other countries. Besides, with the 360 market the way it is in Japan, why would they even bother testing the capabilities of a console that no one bought? "
    Well, Catherine is the first game that Atlus has made for either the PS3 or 360 (kind of crazy that it took this long, but yeah).  It makes sense that they'd want to at least test the development waters on both platforms, though I can't imagine that the types of games that they normally make would find a large 360 audience in Japan.  But Catherine?  Who knows?  In Japan, the 360 is all just shooters games like IdolM@aster titles.  Something like Catherine might be esoteric enough for the console's Japanese audience.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Laketown said:
    " @MikeGosot said:
    " @benjaebe said:
    December, probably "
    DECEMBER!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... 

Well, better late than never.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MikeGosot said:
    " LOL.  Anyway, when you think this game gonna be released here? "
    It's absolutely coming here, no doubt about that. I'm gunning for June 1st (or around that time), but, realistically, I'm thinking September-October.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By DukeTogo
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " How cheap was the development if they expected to only sell 150K? Nowadays, it's "one million or go home". They must have had a helluva small team.  Now that they gots all that extra cash (and a useless 360 port in Japan), they can localize it here, maybe? "
    It's not "1 mill or go home" in Japan, where selling 100k is a big deal.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By iamjohn
    @MikeGosot said:
    " @benjaebe said:
    The fastest turn-around time they had for a localization, last I remember, is five months - Persona 4 came out in July 2008 in Japan and December 2008 in North America.  My guess is they prep Catherine for an early September release and try and get it out before Gears 3 and the other fall games hits.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MikeGosot
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @MikeGosot said:
    " LOL.  Anyway, when you think this game gonna be released here? "
    It's absolutely coming here, no doubt about that. I'm gunning for June 1st (or around that time), but, realistically, I'm thinking September-October. "
    Now, that's better.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mutha3
    @iAmJohn said:

" @MikeGosot said:

" @benjaebe said:

The fastest turn-around time they had for a localization, last I remember, is five months - Persona 4 came out in July 2008 in Japan and December 2008 in North America.  My guess is they prep Catherine for an early September release and try and get it out before Gears 3 and the other fall games hits. "
    I think their fastest turnaround for a game they ever had was Radiant Historia. Then again, they started localizing that game way back in August and unlike Catherine it doesn't have hours upon hours of VA work and is on a much simpler system to code for to boot.

I don't think we'll be seeing Catherine any time soon. I'm starting to doubt we'll even see it this year, to be honest.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Hailinel

No, the shortest localization time for any Atlus game will undoubtedly be Devil Survivor Overclocked.  It's not even out in Japan and is already slated for a summer release in North America, plus a large chunk of the game was already localized in the original release.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By benjaebe

In all honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if they had already started work on localizing it awhile ago. It's been getting a huge amount of press for awhile and the multiplatform release hints at them planning an outside release anyway.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mutha3
    @Hailinel said:

" No, the shortest localization time for any Atlus game will undoubtedly be Devil Survivor Overclocked.  It's not even out in Japan and is already slated for a summer release in North America, plus a large chunk of the game was already localized in the original release. "

I was specifically talking about games that needed to be localized. I imagine there isn't much that needs to be done to get DS up and running on a US 3DS system. DS is a cheatcode, man.

I have to say, though, recently Atlus USA publishing decisions and localization choices have been really disappointing.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By iamjohn
    @mutha3 said:
    " I think their fastest turnaround for a game they ever had was Radiant Historia. Then again, they started localizing that game way back in August and unlike Catherine it doesn't have hours upon hours of VA work and is on a much simpler system to code for to boot.  I don't think we'll be seeing Catherine any time soon. I'm starting to doubt we'll even see it this year, to be honest. "
    Really?  For some reason I thought Radiant Historia was, like, at least six months old, if not older. 

And there's no way Catherine doesn't come out this year.  Of that, I'm sure.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By Sooty

Japan and their xenophobia. Poor 360. 

@benjaebe said:

" In all honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if they had already started work on localizing it awhile ago. It's been getting a huge amount of press for awhile and the multiplatform release hints at them planning an outside release anyway. "
    Definitely I would say the 360 version existing is reason enough to assume a western release is coming, Atlus are generally good at getting their games to us as well.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @iAmJohn said:
    " And there's no way Catherine doesn't come out this year.  Of that, I'm sure. "
    Agreed.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mutha3
    @iAmJohn said:

" @mutha3 said:

" I think their fastest turnaround for a game they ever had was Radiant Historia. Then again, they started localizing that game way back in August and unlike Catherine it doesn't have hours upon hours of VA work and is on a much simpler system to code for to boot.  I don't think we'll be seeing Catherine any time soon. I'm starting to doubt we'll even see it this year, to be honest. "

Really?  For some reason I thought Radiant Historia was, like, at least six months old, if not older.
    It was released in late november last year. Real quick of  'em.

@FluxWaveZ

said:

" @iAmJohn said:

" And there's no way Catherine doesn't come out this year.  Of that, I'm sure. "

Agreed. "
    Sounds great to me, guys. But that AtlusAram guy said, like, a month ago that they had "no current plans to bring it over". He was a PR dude, so he could be bullshitting, but.....

Localizations tend to take 10 months. This is their first  360/PS3 game so their programmers will have to learn how to code around that.

I dunno, a release this year does not seem that set in stone to me. I'd love to be convinced otherwise, though!
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#92  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Hailinel said:
    " No, the shortest localization time for any Atlus game will undoubtedly be Devil Survivor Overclocked. "
    Fuck! And the original Devil Survivor's localization wasn't that good.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Fallen189 said:
    You look terrible. Nyahh!
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#94  Edited By Aus_azn

I'd make the presumption that Persona 5 will run on this engine too. Based on my time with the demo, it seems fairly solid and good-looking, so it should be good.

I'm not expecting a release on this side of the pond until next year as well.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mutha3
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " No, the shortest localization time for any Atlus game will undoubtedly be Devil Survivor Overclocked. "
    Fuck! And the original Devil Survivor's localization wasn't that good. "
    What are you talking about? It was a great localization.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hailinel
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    No, it was actually pretty good, minus that one section that accidentally left untranslated.  My guess is that section will be in English this time.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By iamjohn
    @mutha3 said:

" This is their first  360/PS3 game so they're programmers will have to learn how to code around that. "

Actually, Atlus USA doesn't have any internal programmers and they outsource all the technical elements of their localizations.  Now you know! 

@Hailinel said: 
    @Video_Game_King said: 
    @Hailinel said: 
    No, it was actually pretty good, minus that one section that accidentally left untranslated.  My guess is that section will be in English this time. "
    Seriously?  That actually happened?! 

Hahahahahaha, man, I kind of wish I didn't hate Devil Survivor, since I want to see that for myself!
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By mutha3
    @Hailinel said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @Hailinel said:

No, it was actually pretty good, minus that one section that accidentally left untranslated.  My guess is that section will be in English this time. "
    NO SHUT UP THAT ONE SCREW UP THE PROGRAMMING DEPARTMENT AT ATL- I mean -OUTSOURCED COMPANY MADE COMPLETELY DEVALUES THE WELL WRITTEN DIALOGUE AND THE COHERENT PACE

@iAmJohn

said:

" @mutha3 said:

" This is their first  360/PS3 game so they're programmers will have to learn how to code around that. "

Actually, Atlus USA doesn't have any internal programmers and they outsource all the technical elements of their localizations.  Now you know! "

Awesome. I didn't.

I'm still worried, though. Hope that PR guy was bullshitting out of concern for his job!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#99  Edited By Animasta
    @mutha3:  Persona 4 only took like 6 months though, I think you're overestimating what they're going to have to do :P
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mutha3
    @iAmJohn said:

I kind of wish I didn't hate Devil Survivor, since I want to see that for myself! "

You're no longer my Intelligent Qube bro
     (also, its half a sentence you can only access by picking a specific set of repsonses)
    @Laketown said:

" @mutha3:  Persona 4 only took like 6 months though, I think you're overestimating what they're going to have to do :P "

They probably started early on that one. Also, the team they deployed for that was huge.

Catherine probably has atleast as much text and probably more voice work then P4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.