Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

IGN UK 8.3, Thank God They Did Their Job

• 80 results
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By Jadeskye
    @extremeradical said:
    " 8.3 typically signifies a good game, or so I am lead to believe. "
    nah, to these guys an 8.3 is the worst game ever designed. 

Personally i got the collectors edition pre-ordered (on 360 no less) and i fully intend to enjoy it. Don't know why the hate is nessesery.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Yukoei

Brad likes it so... STFU.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By TheHBK

man i would give that game a fucking 5.5.  But because its FF, it cant get anything realistic.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Matthew: In another thread someone posted a picture with their faces on top of each other, the similarities were shocking.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jadeskye
    @TheHBK said:
    " man i would give that game a fucking 5.5.  But because its FF, it cant get anything realistic. "
    I agree, they should make the magic more real. My Summon looks a lot better IRL then that crap. 

my sword can turn into a gun 10x faster too. wtf?
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By korwin

It's worth pointing out that a 8.3/10 would register as a 4 star rating under the giant bomb scale.... which is what I would expect for the game.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Cube
    @Zenaxzd: And people think I'm bad.

Serious, good job.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Ace829

8.3 equals 1/10 to half the internet population for some reason. Ah well.

Number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Number1
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " You'll have to excuse all the underlines n bold n shit, they suck to remove, as in it is impossible at times as I learned trying to edit some Star Ocean page or something. 
    @KaosAngel
    said:

" @EpicSteve said:

" I'm still waiting for my FF IX related game. "

Pick up FF14...cause we all know Square's best games are Sci-Fi.  FF6, FF7, FF8, and FF10.   "
    @KaosAngelsaid:

Yes.  Honest to god, if it's your first RPG...it'll be great.  No so much for fans who have stuck around before overhyped piece of shit 7  "  

@KaosAngelsaid:

Okay, before all the threads in the Final Fantasy XIII board turn into hate threads on users who like the non-so-good Square games (FF9 and FF7)  "

Hmm 

@KaosAngelsaid:

Anyways, pick up ME2 it's fucking awesome.  I only plan on playing through it once and then to transfer it to ME3...and I don't think I'll be touching FF13 until the International Version comes out late 2010 or early 2011.  "

@KaosAngel said:

"  I haven't had a good RPG since PS2 days...for some reason I have a hard time going back to Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII (3 MORE TROPHIES!  >.<), or pretty much every RPG game out this generation.    I feel your pain.  The KB+M control for the guns is really bad, and not responsive at all...sometimes I wish this game just gave me the option to play with the 3shitty controller so I can just lazy it up and not get pissed at the mouse speed (or lack of control).  >.>  Plus it just gets boring doing everyone's side mission and then scanning planets.  Hopefully everything will be fixed with Heavy Rain. "    

(slightly off course but HEAVY RAIN!?!!?!?!?!??!?! )   

And of course the classic: 

No Caption Provided

But at least that picture makes this make more sense: 

@KaosAngel said:

Read my review and the disapointment thread.  This game gave me mixed feelings.  >.> "

In conclusion: 

No Caption Provided
    "
    Lol what a contridicinator
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By WinterSnowblind

At least they only gave it an 8.. but once again it sounds like they didn't particularly enjoy the game.  Any other JRPG would have been hard pushed to get a 7 for this kind of quality, but because it's Final Fantasy it still earns bonus points.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By metal_mills

I don't get how the graphics get a 10. Yeah the characters are nice but from the battles I've seen the terrain is so bland. You fight on a completely flat area.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By turbomonkey138

Since when did 8.3 become a bad score ? People in the comments on the review were complaining that the score was too low ..

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By turbomonkey138

Arcagenesis posted:

Very poor review, and this reviewer needs to go back and play those stupid games like Mass Effect 2 or other western RPG's, this review is made with a WRPG perspective, and this is not a WRPG is a JRPG. Sorry but this is a bad review.
     This guy is an idiot ...
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#64  Edited By KingBroly

Since FF7, Square has only had 1 approach to making Final Fantasy games:  Pretty graphics, especially in cutscenes.  Everything else...afterthought.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @Matthew said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @RoujinX said:
    " I bet it's still better than FFVIII. "
    @GreyFox10S said:
    " @RoujinX:  anything is better then that shit. "
    You guys both suck....VIII is better than IX and FFV. "
    Whatever.  It's all about this guy... 

No Caption Provided
    "
    Isn't lightening a girl? "
    Final Fantasy VII is about as much fun as having your face smashed in with a brick and thats without me mentioning the fact that it has the world's worst fanbase. VIII was a better game.
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By StrikeALight

Seems like another FF game I'll really enjoy. You can't approach any JRPG with the same ideals as a Western one, since we already know how different they play out. This certainly seems to be a marmite experience, and it really all depends on the quality of the story. If it isn't up to snuff (or you you just don't appreciate it, for some reason), then that is when the game could (and rightfully, should) fall apart at the seams.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By Whisperkill

Whatever, I'm expecting certain things from this game, hopefully I'll like it

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Meowayne

Ha ha, I just checked what IGN UK gave Lost Odyssey: 

An 8.2 - It seems like they were just covering their asses with not rating FFXIII lower than LO even though judging from the review the game is very mediocre.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69  Edited By KaosAngel
    @MysteriousBob said:
    "
    Final Fantasy VII is about as much fun as having your face smashed in with a brick and thats without me mentioning the fact that it has the world's worst fanbase. VIII was a better game. "
    But FFVI is where true art is.  :)
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#70  Edited By Computerplayer1
    @KaosAngel said:
    " The battle system is easily broken and weak, end game is just grind, 4/5 of the game is the most linear bullshit Square...   "
    You just described every final fantasy ever made.

It's only become more obvious now because we're on the 13th game.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Zenaxzd: You Win!
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Magresda

Coming from someone who's played and loved this game despite it's flaws: buy it and see for yourself. This sort of reception is nothing new when it comes to FF games, and even if you end up hating it, this is a game you need to play. Plus, an 8.3 is still considered a good score, you know.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73  Edited By Willy105

You can tell who came from Gamespot and who didn't by reading this thread.

On Gamespot, anything lower than a 9 is a terrible terrible game.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SquadBroken

Good job it has the Leona soundtrack

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By Snail

Why not just let the franchise die if it's gone so downhill? I mean, 13 titles, for chrissakes.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Lambert

Final Fantasy games tend to have inflated review scores. It is nice to see that the game isn't being heralded as some big event that will change gaming. It is obvious it is another boring and tedious JRPG from Square. This can only mean good things as Square would have to actually improve their games. What is that? They decided to ignore review scores? What arrogant pricks.

I regret importing this game, and getting my otaku friend to translate everything. It just was a huge mess.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Lambert said:
    " Final Fantasy games tend to have inflated review scores. It is nice to see that the game isn't being heralded as some big event that will change gaming. It is obvious it is another boring and tedious JRPG from Square. This can only mean good things as Square would have to actually improve their games. What is that? They decided to ignore review scores? What arrogant pricks.  I regret importing this game, and getting my otaku friend to translate everything. It just was a huge mess. "
    Nomura can fix all this with Versus XIII in 2011.  >.>
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The battle system for this game, that kid called Hope who suppsosedly spends most of the game whining, and the tired deus ex machina style story glossed in HD suddenly made me realise that I am totally done with Final Fantasy. It's a game that I'm too old to play (i am now 25) and I regret those who are buying this who didn't get the first hand experience with the PlayStation 1 era installments. Those were the days - for me personally - that made FF a great experience and it was the talk of the school back then without it being embarrassing.

I may share a common consensus here that Final Fantasy vs.13 is going to be a more interesting title. And it has to be If I'm ever to have a little faith in this series again.  

I believe Agito was announced as a mobile game if I'm right?

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shinryu

I love the way so many people are so quick to bury this game before they've even touched it. Not that i'm defending it, as I havent played it either. But at the same time, did anyone REALLY expect a non-linear Dragon Age 'esk JRPG product? . It seems the problem here is that too many people forget just how linear most JRPG's of this generation have been and expect elements of western design methodology to appear in an entirely eastern produced role playing game. This is realistically not going to happen, least of all with Square Enix who are fairly set in their ways from a design perspective.

Also, many people here seem to be claiming that Lost Odyssey was far from this "linear path". And as much as i LOVED Lost Odyssey, that game was linear as hell.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Turambar
    @KaosAngel said:

" Linky  Looks like he had the same problem like all of us who bought it from Japan or the importers.  The battle system is easily broken and weak, end game is just grind, 4/5 of the game is the most linear bullshit Square has done since The Bouncer, and characters aren't so hot.    Might I also add on 2channel (biggest Japanese gaming forum), the game is considered joke with even the most die-hard Japanese fans and is selling for less than 1000円 ($10) for trade in value in Japan right now.  Thank god, and hopefully Square wakes the fuck up and makes the games they are good at from now on.  EDIT:  The one added bonus for getting the shiny edition of FF13 (first prints with holo-foil cover), we got a special code for exclusive items in FF14 that only first edition prints get and no other region.  Plus automatic FF14 PS3 beta.  :) "

You know, when even in the closing comments of the review, they state that they felt the combat was pretty damn good, and is part of the reasons why they would recommend this game, I feel compelled to tell you to shut the fuck up and stop being being incredibly wrong with just the second sentence of the post. Also "die-hard Japanese fans" are usually the most knee-jerk reactionary fans around  (What better way to protest Tales of Veperia on the PS3 getting bonus content than to snap your 360 disc?).  The fact that you give their opinions such complete authority over the quality of a product astounds me.

Here's the general rational behind the score given to the game for those too busy to read through the entire thing. (To set the context, the paragraph before this is applauding the graphical presentation of the game.)

"But the lack of anything substantial to do beyond fleeing and fighting soon brings the game crashing back to earth, and even when the walls are lifted Final Fantasy XIII’s world can seem strangely lifeless. As a technical feat the game is a triumph, but it seems a slave to its own spectacle, manacling the gameplay to serve its own bombastic vision and ultimately while the excellent combat and stunning visuals are enough to recommend it, they're not enough to earn it a place amongst the series’ top rank."

Looks like the game has it's issues, has it's strengths, and is not exactly a "joke".  Gee, a game that has its ups and downs and isn't in one extreme or another quality wise? Who would have guessed?  Everyone's mileage is going to differ based on personal preference, of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.