Advertising in The Podcast?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cheesebob

Jeff has mentioned many times in his Jar Time videos that he is thinking about advertising in the podcast. What is the general consensus of this? Personally I am not particually bothered about it, unless it is one of the 'cast' advertising the product...that I am not cool with.

However, if it is an advertisement before and after the podcast starts, I could totally deal with it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

Bring it on, like all podcasts I listen to that have ads I can just skip them so it isn't that big of a deal

EDIT: As long as they aren't game specific ads (obviously) then I'm ok with it. Bombcast is free and extremely hard to monetize, I understand that so ads are your typical go to. At least it isn't as dumb as their split it into two separate Bombcasts for free and subscribers and release the other portion the next week. That was just a dumbass idea.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

Zojirushi says hello.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By superfriend

I think they should have video ads during the podcast. Just to fuck with everybody.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By neurotic

It would be a bummer, but a minor one. Before and after the podcast would be okay though. If it gets them more money to spend on doing stupid shit then they should do what they gotta do.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BillyMethers

My answer is no. I honestly view it as a cop out. If they truly want their users to support them, then maybe they should give them more value for their money and encourage subscriptions. Pervasive advertising in podcasts is already bad enough (with podcasts hosts embedding them in regular conversation)

So, I don't support it. If he has to pay the bills, I understand. But I know about the world of advertising and if the bombcast gets ads then it's a confirmation to me that they've sold out (especially if they dont do it right)

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By thebunnyhunter

As long as its not Audible.com......they seem to be in every podcast i listen to.

I can also see supporters getting ad free shows

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell

I already listen to podcasts that tell me about sweet deals and free trials I can get. It'd be weird though,  cos I've never heard the GiantBomb guys read out an advert.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turambar

How would subscribers go about not having to listen to the podcast ads? A separate, slightly altered mp3 file behind a pay-wall I guess?

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By yoshimitz707

Absolutely no problem with it. Almost every podcast I listen to has ads in it and it's totally fine there.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheHumanDove

More mountain dew and doritos please!

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Levius

Only if it is compartmentalised in a pre or post podcast ad, even then if would be pretty shitty. Podcasts can be great gateway drugs for websites, so pervasive advertising could scare people off.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nightriff

@Turambar said:

How would subscribers go about not having to listen to the podcast ads? A separate, slightly altered mp3 file behind a pay-wall I guess?

I can't imagine them doing that, ads for all. I think it's more insulting as a paying member to get an ad before Live Streams. Though that only happens every now and again for me so I don't know if it is just a mistake.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coakroach

If it's just a couple of soundbites thrown in I wouldn't mind

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't like it, and like an above poster I think it's just plain lazy. Give subscribers more actual content and encourage subscriptions more than you already have. Sure, that would require more actual work, but it would be a much cooler way of trying to get more money than advertising on the heart and soul at the center of the site; what existed before the site itself. 

It's kind of surreal how rapidly this site fell out of "we're doing things differently and going into business with our users" to "just another website doing businessy business." It's depressing that people tolerate what already exists. 

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nightriff

@Marokai said:

I don't like it, and like an above poster I think it's just plain lazy. Give subscribers more actual content and encourage subscriptions more than you already have. Sure, that would require more actual work, but it would be a much cooler way of trying to get more money than advertising on the heart and soul at the center of the site; what existed before the site itself. It's kind of surreal how rapidly this site fell out of "we're doing things differently and going into business with our users" to "just another website doing businessy business." It's depressing that people tolerate what already exists.

It was just inevitable unless every single person subscribed. Whiskey Media lived by that and they died out sadly.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dungbootle

It wouldn't be a bother really

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Turambar

@Nightriff said:

@Turambar said:

I can't imagine them doing that, ads for all. I think it's more insulting as a paying member to get an ad before Live Streams. Though that only happens every now and again for me so I don't know if it is just a mistake.

I'm pretty sure they will think of a way to keep ads out of the podcast, for subscribers at the least. I'm just wondering how they'd do that, with a separate mp3 file of the podcast hidden behind a paywall that is ad free being the only solution in my mind.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By ssj4raditz

Something like, "This week's Bombcast brought to you by so-and-so" wouldn't bug me, I hear it on most every other podcast I listen to nowadays.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By mordukai

I actually would like to hear Jeff, Brad, Vinny, and Ryan do some ads. Should be amusing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nightriff: Sure, but it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking. No less so because of the speed with which everyone has made peace with more and more and more advertising and traditional corporate website behavior. People say they have no problem with it because most other podcasts advertise.. but I would say the exact same thing as to why I think the Bombcast shouldn't. It used to feel like Giant Bomb had aspirations to be better than the rest, now it seems like everything is on the table. 
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nightriff

@Marokai said:

@Nightriff: Sure, but it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking. No less so because of the speed with which everyone has made peace with more and more and more advertising and traditional corporate website behavior. People say they have no problem with it because most other podcasts advertise.. but I would say the exact same thing as to why I think the Bombcast shouldn't. It used to feel like Giant Bomb had aspirations to be better than the rest, now it seems like everything is on the table.

I agree but I understand where websites eventually have to go sadly.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By toowalrus

That would bug the hell out of me. Not enough to make me stop listening, of course, but it's so god damn annoying when an interesting conversation is interrupted by "Hold on, I have to read this thing. This weeks podcast is brought to you by Audible dot com, the Internets leading bla bla bla..."

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august

Man I really don't remember Jeff saying anything about advertising on a Jar Time.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By itsVASH

Seeing ash how I usually listen to the podcast as i sleep I rather not hear it... its bad enough I'm brainwashing myself to play games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nightriff said:

@Marokai said:

I suppose so. But I'll think I'll lose my mind if I hear Jeff start bragging again as if Giant Bomb has any sort of moral highground over anyone else at that point.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By rjayb89

As long as it takes up one minute for every two hours of the show.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nightriff

@Marokai said:

@Nightriff said:

@Marokai said:

I suppose so. But I'll think I'll lose my mind if I hear Jeff start bragging again as if Giant Bomb has any sort of moral highground over anyone else at that point.

If they turn to ads then they can't use the highground anymore. But isn't that more of a community thing than the staff?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mosespippy

I like it when podcasters get to do their own ad copy like MBMBaM's Extreme Restraints ads or NSFWs Square Space and Netflix ads. They can be more entertaining than the rest of the podcast sometimes. I dislike the style on shows like Weekend Confirmed where there is a flat and stiff ad read at the beginning and end.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bones8677

Careful guys, ads in podcasts started as only one at the start, then it was the start and end, now it's the start, end, and during the podcasts. This shit likes to escalate.

Hell The Roosterteeth Podcast has four-five different sections for ads.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

As long as they personally endorse extremerestraints.com, I am fine with it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By iamjohn

@Nightriff said:

@Turambar said:

You know those ads are handled by Twitch and they don't control that, right?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nightriff

@iAmJohn said:

@Nightriff said:

You know those ads are handled by Twitch and they don't control that, right?

No I didn't so I guess that explains it then

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34  Edited By Sin4profit

I have no problem with Ads on the podcast, curious how they handle it, though.

I think My Brother My Brother & Me handle their ads the best as they make a comedy bit out of it. i look forward to hearing from their Extreme Restraints sponsor.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By randyf

It makes sense. They've said a few times that the Bombcast is the most popular portion of the sight and they hate that it's not earning them money. I don't think it would be that annoying if it was just a short premade ad that played at the beginning, half-way through, and at the end. If they stop conversations and read us a pitch, that might suck.

In terms of how they could make it so subscribers don't hear it, they could put up a separate MP3 like people say. Or they could have it so that the podcast page pauses the podcast to play a short ad and then resume. I don't know.

Giant Bomb has kind of been about the high moral standard, so if they use ads, that's a shame for that reason. But I don't think hearing the ads would bother me.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bones8677

@TooWalrus said:

That would bug the hell out of me. Not enough to make me stop listening, of course, but it's so god damn annoying when an interesting conversation is interrupted by "Hold on, I have to read this thing. This weeks podcast is brought to you by Audible dot com, the Internets leading bla bla bla..."

Literally every episode of the Roosterteeth podcast for the last year. And every Frogpants Network podcast does just that. Ugh.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By 49th

Don't want any ads honestly.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Why are ads immoral?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShaggE

As others say, going the MBMBAM route would be amazing. Now THAT'S how you advertise.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By TheHT

Do it like like Colbert does product placement.

"Bat or knife, either way I'll need a refreshing Dr. Pepper to rejunevate my mind, body, and soul from the bloody street duel. *crack* *phsss* *glugluglug* Ahhh."

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShadyPingu

If they do it the MBMBAM way, sure.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

They already sold their souls to CBS so this wouldn't surprise me. Can skip through it anyways.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Brother_PipPop

As long as its something like "The Money Zone" in MBMBAM

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toowalrus

@Bones8677 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Literally every episode of the Roosterteeth podcast for the last year. And every Frogpants Network podcast does just that. Ugh.

Absolutely. I still listen to Roosterteeth and the Instance (even though I haven't played WoW in years), but god damn, it never gets any less irritating.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Canteu

@thebunnyhunter: Why read the books, when the books read to you?

The actual ad wouldn't bother me, but the idea behind it does. Why am I giving them money? They are owned by CBSi, one of the biggest entertainment companies about. Why do the need sub fees, adrev and CBSi money do do a piece of shit Spooking with Scoops every week?

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Sure it starts out with just advertising on a podcast, but I think we know all too well how it may end up.

No Caption Provided
megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By megalowho

Not a problem with me, especially since the show is 3 hours. They should be getting sponsors for their most popular content.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bones8677

While the Money Zone from MBMBAM can and has been funny. It's length has been turning me off, it's almost a full 1/3rd of the show. And considering the show is already kinda short, that get's annoying. Plus I think their sponsorship with Extreme Retraints has run it's course with me. I get it, that site sells some wacky stuff. >_>

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bones8677

@TooWalrus said:

@Bones8677 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Absolutely. I still listen to Roosterteeth and the Instance (even though I haven't played WoW in years), but god damn, it never gets any less irritating.

Yeah, the only podcast from Scott I actively listen to is Film Sack, I even recommended an episode to a friend. Thought he would like the movie they talk about, but he couldn't listen to it, because of all the ads at the front of the show being almost 3 minutes long. It turned him off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea of "wacky" advertisements is always good until it's taken too far, and with ads, they are always taken too far. They'll put up more and more and more ads until there's a severe enough backlash. This is the nature of business, and anything else. Give an inch, they'll take a mile, and then they'll keep on taking for as long as they can get away with it. I want Giant Bomb to be better than that. Just because they can't survive on subscription money alone (or, are unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to do so) doesn't mean they have to go the completely shameless route of monetizing every last piece of the site.