• 90 results
Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Mattalorian

Frankly, I find all these complaints about "advertising" more than a little ridiculous. I wonder if it has to do with the bizarre internet-wide hatred towards Treyarch...

I listen to the BombCast for two reasons: 1, it's entertaining, and 2, it provides an informative view on games. In this instance, getting an inside look on the upcoming WaW DLC was certainly interesting, and Josh Olin did provide information that GiantBomb couldn't otherwise provide.
The developer/guest appearance was enjoyable, and I hope that GiantBomb will have similar appearances in the future.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Jimbo

'All these complaints'? Come on, the thread has been derailed by like 2 or 3 guys.  The OP didn't say or suggest that money was changing hands and that clearly wasn't the point he was making.  Jeff obviously had to respond to the accusation when it was made (not by the OP), but I see no reason for people to assume that their opinion is widespread.

Back to the original point the OP was making, I kind of agree that the regular weekly Bombcast should be considered 'sacred', I think that is a totally valid position.   I think people stop being 'guests' if they have effectively dictated what can and can't be discussed.  The 'PR' Bombcasts are clearly labelled as such and I've still listened to every single one of them.  Similarly, I think Quick Looks should be exclusively in the hands of GB staff - the Bionic Commando video was labelled differently iirc, and I think that's totally the correct way to handle it.

I think comparing 'Some PR Guy From Treyarch' to Alex Navarro guesting on the podcast is a completely ridiculous position; considering his history with Jeff, the site (before it even existed!) and his proven loyalty to both.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Aska

I think my problem with it was the whole "Everything we make is great" vibe that the whole segment had, it wasn't just a normal interaction with the dude like some other guests have been.  So I get where the OP is coming from.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Osaladin
Aska said:
"I think my problem with it was the whole "Everything we make is great" vibe that the whole segment had, it wasn't just a normal interaction with the dude like some other guests have been.  So I get where the OP is coming from."
Honestly, that's his job. It's to say that everything they do is great, Treyarch is still a company, and companies want to make money, and that means he has to sell his product. I'm very surprised that many people in this thread seem shocked by that. Believe me, if you where working for a game company, and you went onto a podcast to talk about your game, you would hype it like there's no tomorrow, because that is your job.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#55  Edited By LordAndrew

He was on the HotSpot this week as well, and listening to both podcasts he seems relatively humble for a guy who works for a developer. I really don't mind him.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By BinaryDragon
LordAndrew said:
"He was on the HotSpot this week as well, and listening to both podcasts he seems relatively humble for a guy who works for a developer. I really don't mind him."
but I also found that part of the hotspot a little redundant, So I didn't really listen. The hotspot has gone kinda down hill since 'the event' Plus their intro music is AWFUL! IS so bland and slow and has no computer-game-vibe AT ALL.

Some times it can be ok, but I definitely think that the Bombcast has a stronger to hit ratio than other gaming podcasts. Plus the theme music is kick ASS. The way the guest was delt with on this weeks episode was great, he says his bit they chat breifly then he's off. Simple and to the point. THANK YOU Bombcast keep that shit up!
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By JJOR64

I really like guests on the podcast.  I thought the Capcom Bombcast was kick ass.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By lordofultima

You know you can just scrub through the parts you don't like, right? Just keep sliding it forward until you don't hear the guy anymore.

"Sheesh!" -Chie

lazyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By lazyb

ehhh I don't mind too much I thought I was going to be pissed about it but they didn't have him on for the whole show.

plus theres probably a lot of people that play WAW liked it a bunch. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#60  Edited By natetodamax
Jeff said:
"keyhunter said:
"They probably got paid like 15 stacks for the time that guy spent advertising his overpriced map pack. SO IT'S OKAY."

Yeah, keep dreaming. Last time I checked, "podcast guest" was not part of our advertising offering. When and if we do any advertising on the podcast, it will be clearly labelled as such. We're not in the business of attempting to fool people into thinking ads are pieces of content. If you want to be treated that way, there are plenty of other sites out there willing to help you out with that.

Activision approached us about a week or two ago to see if we'd like to have someone on to discuss the map pack. Since that's a pretty relevant upcoming release, we said heck yeah. End of story. While I had hoped we'd be able to also cover all of the weird Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward internal politics that seem to have bubbled up into public view over the last year or so, they had nothing to say on that topic. Rather than awkwardly ask a ton of questions that wouldn't be answered in a way that would satisfy anyone, we covered the basics.
"
deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By deaux

I didn't like this week's guest.  Sometimes I don't like the taste tests, sometimes I think there are too many Quicklooks.  There are a million little things one could nitpick.  There's absolutely nothing sinister, and Jeff is right to feel slighted.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jimbo
Osaladin said:
"Aska said:
"I think my problem with it was the whole "Everything we make is great" vibe that the whole segment had, it wasn't just a normal interaction with the dude like some other guests have been.  So I get where the OP is coming from."
Honestly, that's his job. It's to say that everything they do is great, Treyarch is still a company, and companies want to make money, and that means he has to sell his product. I'm very surprised that many people in this thread seem shocked by that. Believe me, if you where working for a game company, and you went onto a podcast to talk about your game, you would hype it like there's no tomorrow, because that is your job."
Nobody should be that 'shocked'; he read the same script all PR guys read.  I just think the regular Bombcast & crew are too good to be reduced to nodding their way through a press release. Edit~ If a lot of you guys got something from it then that's great, I can learn to live with it.

Even from Treyarch's perspective I don't think they played it great.  Sending your front-line, script-reading PR guy to try and cater to an audience like us, is like trying to perform surgery with a baseball bat.  With the best will in the world, the guy isn't going to convince me that the WW2 and Zombie markets aren't oversaturated, or that setting your game in the Pacific Theatre is a first.  If you're going to send somebody, send a developer or something -  somebody that has a level of knowledge about the game that goes deep enough to engage my interest, somebody that will be comfortable going off-script because they're probably into gaming as much as we are, send somebody with a selection of salt candy.
Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Aska
Osaladin said:
"Aska said:
Honestly, that's his job. It's to say that everything they do is great, Treyarch is still a company, and companies want to make money, and that means he has to sell his product. I'm very surprised that many people in this thread seem shocked by that. Believe me, if you where working for a game company, and you went onto a podcast to talk about your game, you would hype it like there's no tomorrow, because that is your job."
I know it's his job.  I'm in no way shocked that he was promoting his game and the company he works for, I was simply stating my problem with that segment.  By Jeff's post they seem to acknowledge this.
Avatar image for cleverloginname
CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By CleverLoginName
It was only 18 minutes of some goofy commentary and some PR speak, which I don't know why that bugs anyone. So you heard shilling and shilling and it wasted your time, what planet are you from where you don't see that everyday. Marketing and advertising permeates every aspect of our society, just ignore it, the fast forward button is real handy. Maybe it's because Giantbomb hasn't been hitting anyone over the head with ads, and it stands out but at least it was related to a game that more than a few people are interested in. World at War is still getting played by thousands of people so it's a relevant thing for them to discuss even without money changing hands, which only asses were insinuating.
Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Aska
CleverLoginName said:
"
It was only 18 minutes of some goofy commentary and some PR speak, which I don't know why that bugs anyone. So you heard shilling and shilling and it wasted your time, what planet are you from where you don't see that everyday. Marketing and advertising permeates every aspect of our society, just ignore it, the fast forward button is real handy. Maybe it's because Giantbomb hasn't been hitting anyone over the head with ads, and it stands out but at least it was related to a game that more than a few people are interested in. World at War is still getting played by thousands of people so it's a relevant thing for them to discuss even without money changing hands, which only asses were insinuating.
"
This.  I'm not mad or anything about that part of the podcast, nor did I or will I skip over it on a repeated listen.  It's just something that I would prefer not to be in future podcasts.  It's no big deal really.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By PercyChuggs

I wonder.

Do you people get pissed off when you watch Conan, and some celebrity is on to promote their movie or TV show? I liken the Bombcast to a variety show. It's got comedy. It's got information. It's got personality. Part of the INFORMATION is having special guests on to talk about their game. You guys make it sound like the Treyarch guy did nothing but beg people to buy his game. I thought his segment was just fine.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By dsplayer1010

It's not like they're giving these games great reviews though. I trust them

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Hamz

The Staff of this here fine website and company that designs websites have not and are not in the habit of lying to the community or treating them with underhanded methods and intentions.

How people managed to jump to such a conclusion is beyond me. Honestly I would have thought that faith in our benefactors would be strong enough to make people realise they aren't the sort to do such shadey dealings.

As Jeff and many others have said in this topic. The simple fact of the matter is they had a guest on, he did his job as a PR rep and the bombcast crew did their part as a video games related website and a segment of the podcast was based around that. Usually when you invite or are approached to have someone join in on a discussion, whether it be TV shows or podcasts etc there is a little bit of plugging that goes with it. That is how things are in this or any other media industry. It is considered good form to essentially allow someone to plug their product a little if they are willing to appear on your podcast and take the time to do so.

I have to wonder though would the reaction to this have been different if the guest was from another developer or publisher?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jayge_

I understand that the guests are definitely a bonus for the BombCast and its credentials, and that it's a lucky opportunity whenever any appear on the show, but when they go into unabashed marketing spiel for 20+ minutes it gets pretty aggravating. I was psyched about the cast with the Doctors and that turned out to be nothing but "yeah we love everyone we love our games we love ourselves we love the merger we love bioware wow so awesome." The Treyarch guy was just kind of annoying. Didn't seem very prepared for the interview. I do love the casts that Navarro can appear on and the best guest-cast was definitely the Eve Online one, which was really interesting and great to listen to. The Candy-Cast was an absolute classic. I'm no fan of Giancarlo's writing, but he's got a funny sort of resigned witty sense of humor that I like. It's a mixed bag, I just wish some of the people who treat it like a marketing spot would have a bit more respect for the podcast and turn off their overshields for a little bit.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Aska

I don't see a problem with people complaining about that segment, as I have been.  But I don't think anyone should be saying that it was some sort of stealth-advertisement.  I forgot that was even an issue (re-read first page), and think it's a low blow to the dudes running this awesome site.  You know who these guys are and I trust them 100%.

PercyChuggs said:

"I wonder.Do you people get pissed off when you watch Conan, and some celebrity is on to promote their movie or TV show? I liken the Bombcast to a variety show. It's got comedy. It's got information. It's got personality. Part of the INFORMATION is having special guests on to talk about their game. You guys make it sound like the Treyarch guy did nothing but beg people to buy his game. I thought his segment was just fine."

I don't think anyone is legitamitely pissed about this, it's just a complaint.  I didn't mind some discussion about the map pack or whatever, and I knew as I was listening to that there was going to be a thread on it pop up.  If there was, I'd post my 2 cents, if there wasn't I wouldn't have said anything because it's honestly not that big of a deal to me personally.
herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By herreno

I dont mind if they have someone pimp there product on the bombcast but i'd rather if they did it at the end of the show. Just so they give the option of people who are interested in it to have a listen and those who aren't can turn it off.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jimbo

The chat show example is a good one.  The audience and the host expect the 'guest' to come on,  chat for say 15/20 minutes (about whatevs) and in return they are extended the opportunity to plug their latest product for 5 minutes.  That's why they're there and the audience and host accept that deal.  If the guest tries to stonewall the host on any subject they don't like, then the audience has a right to feel shortchanged - if the 'guest' tries to dictate terms beforehand, they would likely be told to forget it (unless the show is desperate or the guest is Jesus Jr. or similar).

You're right that it's partly about the calibre of the guest -  Treyarch ain't no Jesus Jr after all.  Would this thread exist if Infinity Ward's PR guy had come on to read an exclusive press release about MW2?  I admit, it probably wouldn't.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Kr3lian

I don't want to give people the impression that I think Giantbomb is trying to pull the wool over our eyes or anything like that.  That's not what I meant.  I do think that they can't stick it to their guests regularly, or else they won't get any guests!

That said, my only point was that you should always digest information critically...and there is no such thing as a free lunch.  I don't think that Jeff et al. are trying to be sneaky or devious, but you should still question their motives, simply because you should question everyone's motives.  Especially if they are selling a product.

I have mad respect for the Giantbomb staff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
I just don't like Treyarch.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By guerrilla_mason
Fr0Br0 said:
But most of the guys they bring in contribute to the podcast in other ways than just plugging in their ... [more]
Am I the only 'Giant Bomber' that doesn't like Alex Navarro?  It's fine if he's on the cast, because this ain't my site, and the dudes like him, but I find him...I don't know what it is.  Just something.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#76  Edited By JackiJinx

You know, I am absolutely sick of reading all these replies. I can't believe so many people actually believe that the GB gang are into the idea of blatantly deceiving everyone. Doesn't anyone remember the strong rumors about Jeff's dismissal and the soon there after quitting of the other members? Disgusting.

The only thing I can agree with most people here is the dissatisfaction with the guests on the show. The last episode's beginning was so dry because of it. To be super frank, if it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't have know who was talking.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By roofy

its really funny to see the shift in tone as soon as Jeff posted.

it went from everyone bashing treyarch and hating on the guest seat to people asking for more guest spots and commending the GB staff.

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By richied0
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
I just don't like Treyarch.
This. Spiderman 3 has put me off of them for a good long time. COD5 was pretty good, but meh... Treyarch >.<
Shinogomaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shinogomaru

Personally I like having the guests brought in to hear about up and coming releases to the market. But guests like Giancarlo Varanini, Drew, and Dave are always welcome and make the bombcast even better when one of the cast arent there or even if they are just guests in general

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By nixium
wrecks said:
And people wonder how the bomb makes money... Advertising!
Just read Jeff's post. Getting rid of this post which seems to be contrary to what Jeff said.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#81  Edited By Undeadpool

I liked the Swedes and all the candy tasting. Especially the hockey powder when everyone flipped out and started screaming, I damn near bashed my head against my desk I was laughing so hard.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By stephengotlost

I disagree, I podcast involving those two Swedish developers was awesome. In addition, I found the discussion on World at War to be quite enjoyable.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#83  Edited By gingertastic_10

when they had GRIN on, i they did talk about what they were doing game wise...but they also spent a good amount of time having fun...probably one of my favorite podcasts

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Origina1Penguin
Hamz said:
The Staff of this here fine website and company that designs websites have not and are not in the habit ... [more]
 "How people managed to jump to such a conclusion is beyond me" is right.  Do people just look for something to be wrong?
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Dogma
Vinchenzo said:
I don't mind guests on the Bombcast. But if they're from a shitty company like Treyarch then I am completely ... [more]
Ain't that a totallt subjective way to see it? Their is problably alot of people that Play WaW and find the discussion interesting. I personally like when the have guests from time to time, it stirs stuff up. I found the Bioware talk quite boring because I'm not big fan of those type of games but did I bitch about it? Did I start saying that the Bombcast i sacred or if it was payed advertising? No, I did not.

Everything can't fit everones taste AND it's down right stupid to think a company representive will will allow bashing of his company. The Giantbomb crew could be asses and bash Treyarch (that is what alot of you here seems to think they should do) but would that helped? It would been a terrible show with a company guy that with get extremly tight lipped about everything because I will get nervous and annoyed.

Can I say my pet peeve now? I think the Bombcast should have higher sound levels. sometimes I can't barly hear what they say when I'm making dishes or walking outside. itäs really really low volume most of the time. Other podcast have higher levevs and if you think that those are to high you can allways lower the volume but you can't raise the volume on the Bombcast above it's max on a iPod.
Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Grimace

I think the alarmist comments about the Treyarch guy on the podcast have nothing really to do with advertising, more to do with the fact that the Giant Bomb crew always portrays themselves as typical gamers rather than high-rolling gaming enthusiast press and now because they have a guest who happens to work for a developer who made such a popular or mainstream game people think "oh, no! they're becoming just like "insert generic gaming website here".

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By CashBailey
Grimace said:
I think the alarmist comments about the Treyarch guy on the podcast have nothing really to do with advertising, more ... [more]
And have nothing to do with this thread, as it happens.

Funny how a few fanboys with an agenda can completely distort a thread, isn't it?

But that's the internet, I suppose.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Player1

Most of the podcast with other people either aren't on tuesday, or don't take to much time. i don't mind it at all. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roofy said:
" its really funny to see the shift in tone as soon as Jeff posted.it went from everyone bashing treyarch and hating on the guest seat to people asking for more guest spots and commending the GB staff. "
That's because there's a handful of Jeff-wannabes on here. You can easily spot them as they always put "dude" or "totally" in every one of their posts. Not to mention all of their opinions on games come directly from what Jeff thinks on the bombcasts.

But yeah, I'm fine with guest spots, they just need to be handled a little better. I know there was one guy who came on and hardly said anything throughout the whole show lol. Not really your guys' fault though.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Feanor

That first GDC podcast was pretty memorable, and that was a hotel room full of people.  So I say keep the guest spot, just make sure the guest will be worthwhile.  And the guy from tryarch is just getting hammered due to all the COD4 fanboys on this site (every site is full of them).  Just because they did not make COD4 the fanboys think they are an awful developer that has done nothing worthwhile.