Cops say video game made 9 year-old jump off building; die.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Kinarion

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6761446

Yup.  I like how wrestling gets a pass.

Splitterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 78

#2  Edited By Splitterguy

Hold on a minute.  How did they know that's what inspired him to do it unless they asked him before he jumped???  If the parents knew he was going to do this, shouldn't they have, y'know, stopped him?  And, even if they had assumed it was the game after he jumped, aren't they taking a rather large leap in logic?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Notice how there is no direct quote from the police saying that. I suspect the police may have briefly mentioned a possible link, and the media have immediately jumped on it and exaggerated it.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

Professional Wrestling doesn't have the same cultural cache that it did ten years ago, so it doesn't get blamed for the harm that happen to "our" children. Games are the current persona non-grata as far as "why" things like this happen. See also: Beavis and Butthead, Power Rangers, and yes, at one point, Professional Wrestling in the past.

As always, tragic incidents like this are often caused by a lack of observance by parents and communities. But it is easier to blame your "culture" than your neighbors.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By eclipsesis

i say geomatry and gravity had more of a involvement than video games

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kinarion
MattyFTM said:
"Notice how there is no direct quote from the police saying that. I suspect the police may have briefly mentioned a possible link, and the media have immediately jumped on it and exaggerated it."
About that, I found the link on CNN which uses this headline: Boy imitating game dies from fall

Compare that to the headline of the actual article from ABC: Boy who fell to death had makeshift parachute

Gross.
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlipperDesert
ABC News said:
"Police now say the 9-year-old may have been imitating wrestling moves he saw on his favorite game, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw."
Ah yes, the "elbow-drop off of a motherfucking building!" maneuver, I know it well.

One day parents will stop blaming everyone but themselves for shitty parenting, and on that day I'm going to hold a party. He may well have been inspired to jump because of a move he saw, but who's the genius that brought him a wrestling game, hm?
KingGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KingGeorge

This is nonsense. I play tons of video games, and I've never done anything stupid or crazy like this.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ahh, KingGeorge, you are still here. I want to see how long you can keep this up.

Anyway, I like how "wrestling" isn't blamed but a wrestling gae is blamed instead. Jesus, are you serious? The moves are from wrestling, not the game. And, besides, there is no "jump from a building with a shopping bag" move either.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aurelito

Superman does it too. Why they neglected him?

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Maybe this kid's parents should of had that talk with him. You know that talk about not jumping of roofs are doing dangerous stunts.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus
ValkyrieGoddess said:
"Maybe this kid's parents should of had that talk with him. You know that talk about not jumping of roofs are doing dangerous stunts."
My parent's never had the don't-jump-off-of-tall-buildings talk with me :-(

Although if you need to know how babies are made... I've got the info!
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MKHavoc

I saw this on my local news last night.  I don't know what move he could have been imitating  that would require him to jump out the window.  It's stupid to be blaming the game or wrestling because someone should have been watching him.  The whole thing is sad really.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheKidNixon
RHCPfan24 said:
"\Anyway, I like how "wrestling" isn't blamed but a wrestling gae is blamed instead. Jesus, are you serious? The moves are from wrestling, not the game. And, besides, there is no "jump from a building with a shopping bag" move either."
The larger point is that neither is really to "blame." The only deaths that the wrestling industry has any responsibility for are those who worked within it. And as others have pointed out, to suggest that the kid was even imitating wrestling of any sort with he was attempting to parachute off the roof is fairly short sighted. This is all chalked up to a lack of supervision, plain and simple, unable to check common childhood curiosity. Any attempt to point fingers anywhere else is pointless and baseless.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Wow. A pro wrestling video game making a kid jump off a building? You've got to be fricking kidding me. The kid wasn't being supervised and all the doors were unlocked, according to the video. I love how they're trying to blame a video game for their own negligence. Fail.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Illmatic

While video games certainly aren't the main blame for this we can't simply cover our eyes and say video games, or any media at all, played no part in this if he did, in fact, try to imitate a move he witnessed in game. The problem here isn't that games are being blamed but that the media is playing it up as the only thing to be blamed when in reality it is a collection of different factors that unfortunately led to his death. A wrestling game, a wrestling television show, lack of supervision, unsafe building (roof door wasn't locked), mental handicap (if I remember correctly from a report on this story, he needed special education). All of these played a part in this. While it is reasonable to be upset at the fact that games are the main target here, lets not get ahead of ourselves and claim they had nothing to do with it either. We'll never know, as the dead cannot speak.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Illmatic said:
"While video games certainly aren't the main blame for this we can't simply cover our eyes and say video games, or any media at all, played no part in this if he did, in fact, try to imitate a move he witnessed in game. The problem here isn't that games are being blamed but that the media is playing it up as the only thing to be blamed when in reality it is a collection of different factors that unfortunately led to his death. A wrestling game, a wrestling television show, lack of supervision, unsafe building (roof door wasn't locked), mental handicap (if I remember correctly from a report on this story, he needed special education). All of these played a part in this. While it is reasonable to be upset at the fact that games are the main target here, lets not get ahead of ourselves and claim they had nothing to do with it either. We'll never know, as the dead cannot speak."
They don't know if he imitated it, they just assume that shit to get ratings. They always do that. At what point in wrestling games do they jump off of buildings? The kid could have just as easily jumped down a small flight of stairs, but instead he chose to jump off the roof. Shit, I even remember trying to use bags as parachutes while I was a kid. It didn't work when I jumped off my front porch stairs and fell all of ten feet. Let's blame Mario 3 for that! You jump a lot in that game! It's as you said though, a lack of supervision and the door being unlocked.
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kinarion
Illmatic said:
"While video games certainly aren't the main blame for this we can't simply cover our eyes and say video games, or any media at all, played no part in this if he did, in fact, try to imitate a move he witnessed in game. The problem here isn't that games are being blamed but that the media is playing it up as the only thing to be blamed when in reality it is a collection of different factors that unfortunately led to his death. A wrestling game, a wrestling television show, lack of supervision, unsafe building (roof door wasn't locked), mental handicap (if I remember correctly from a report on this story, he needed special education). All of these played a part in this. While it is reasonable to be upset at the fact that games are the main target here, lets not get ahead of ourselves and claim they had nothing to do with it either. We'll never know, as the dead cannot speak."
So what's on the table here basically originates from this famous study called the "Bobo doll experiment" by a guy named Bandura in the 60s who looked at how TV makes children behave differently.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Mirror's Edge actually sold?
I swear, why is it that young kids have no common sense?  I had tons more when I was the same age.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb
Splitterguy said:
"aren't they taking a rather large leap in logic?"

*Snicker*
Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
TooWalrus said:
"ValkyrieGoddess said:
"Maybe this kid's parents should of had that talk with him. You know that talk about not jumping of roofs are doing dangerous stunts."
My parent's never had the don't-jump-off-of-tall-buildings talk with me :-( Although if you need to know how babies are made... I've got the info!"
That just sounded wrong in so many ways...
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60

"It says no "SmackDown vs. Raw" characters jump off buildings or use parachutes."

I laughed when the article said this.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Milkman

Swanton bomb off the roof! OMIGOD!

Seriously? A 9 year can't recognize that "Hey, falling off a FUCKING BUILDING might just kill me"?
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By TheHBK
Kinarion said:
"http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6761446Yup.  I like how wrestling gets a pass."
What do you mean they get a pass?  This should be about everyone getting a pass, that kid was fucking retarded, jesus, what kind of kid does something this stupid, plus like the article says, where in the WWe do they use parachutes or fly off buildings?
Plus with those names the kids have, no wonder they were retarded, dumbasses piss me off.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Not_Rage

the aritcle it dosn't blame video games at all. it even says " no SmackDown vs. Raw characters jump off buildings or use parachutes.".

The article says the boy was recreating a scene from a video game, but it does not neccessary put the blame on the video game.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Just think about how awesome it would be if he actually pulled it off.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EvilTwin
Not_Rage said:
"the aritcle it dosn't blame video games at all. it even says " no SmackDown vs. Raw characters jump off buildings or use parachutes.".

The article says the boy was recreating a scene from a video game, but it does not neccessary put the blame on the video game.
"
Agreed.  You guys are falling prey to the same knee-jerk bullshit that you hate anti-video-game media for.  Not every article that mentions video games is always blaming them for something.  If you had bothered to read the article at all, you'd realize it actually mentions wrestling more than games and doesn't necessarily blame either of them.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
Kinarion said:
"Illmatic said:
So what's on the table here basically originates from this famous study called the "Bobo doll experiment" by a guy named Bandura in the 60s who looked at how TV makes children behave differently.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment"
making the letters bold and underlining them doesn't make the link work. fail. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
FlipperDesert said:
"ABC News said:
"Police now say the 9-year-old may have been imitating wrestling moves he saw on his favorite game, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw."
Ah yes, the "elbow-drop off of a motherfucking building!" maneuver, I know it well.One day parents will stop blaming everyone but themselves for shitty parenting, and on that day I'm going to hold a party. He may well have been inspired to jump because of a move he saw, but who's the genius that brought him a wrestling game, hm?"
Too bad that day will never come. There will always be idiots who leave a bazooka out in the open and then blame "that Mortal Kombat jive" for a kid blowing their brains out with the bazooka.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By TheJollyRajah
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
TwoOneFive said:
"Kinarion said:
"Illmatic said:

"
lmao
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Karmum

Looks like this kid was free falling. Ah wait, shitty joke. Seriously though, where were the parents? Wouldn't you think you would tell the kid sometime in his life, it isn't a good idea to jump off the top of the apartment roof?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#33  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
MattyFTM said:
"Notice how there is no direct quote from the police saying that. I suspect the police may have briefly mentioned a possible link, and the media have immediately jumped on it and exaggerated it."

Exactly.  The media's gotta find somebody to point a finger at in order to create more time for the talking heads.  Heaven forbid the media singles out, ya know, bad parentingand general idiocy as the cause.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Not_Rage
EvilTwin said:
"Not_Rage said:
"the aritcle it dosn't blame video games at all. it even says " no SmackDown vs. Raw characters jump off buildings or use parachutes.".

"
Agreed.  You guys are falling prey to the same knee-jerk bullshit that you hate anti-video-game media for.  Not every article that mentions video games is always blaming them for something.  If you had bothered to read the article at all, you'd realize it actually mentions wrestling more than games and doesn't necessarily blame either of them."
I'm glad you noticed this too.
Kotaku headline- "Wrestling Video Game Blamed for Child Parachuting Death" - Not true at all, the game isn't being blamed.
Out of all the sources that covered this story, Kotaku are the ones that are linking video games to his death the most. 

Sigh
thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By thordain
TheKidNixon said:
"RHCPfan24 said:
"\Anyway, I like how "wrestling" isn't blamed but a wrestling gae is blamed instead. Jesus, are you serious? The moves are from wrestling, not the game. And, besides, there is no "jump from a building with a shopping bag" move either."
The larger point is that neither is really to "blame." The only deaths that the wrestling industry has any responsibility for are those who worked within it. And as others have pointed out, to suggest that the kid was even imitating wrestling of any sort with he was attempting to parachute off the roof is fairly short sighted. This is all chalked up to a lack of supervision, plain and simple, unable to check common childhood curiosity. Any attempt to point fingers anywhere else is pointless and baseless."
This sums it up perfectly.
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kinarion
CL60 said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"Kinarion said:
"Illmatic said:

"
lmao"
...thought they'd implemented that functionality...fuck.

Thordain said:
"TheKidNixon said:
"RHCPfan24 said:
The larger point is that neither is really to "blame." The only deaths that the wrestling industry has any responsibility for are those who worked within it. And as others have pointed out, to suggest that the kid was even imitating wrestling of any sort with he was attempting to parachute off the roof is fairly short sighted. This is all chalked up to a lack of supervision, plain and simple, unable to check common childhood curiosity. Any attempt to point fingers anywhere else is pointless and baseless."
This sums it up perfectly."
I suppose the point that I'm most interested in is where/when the parental failure occurred.  Bandura's study has some pretty serious implications about letting young kids watch violent TV. 

You guys think this could have been prevented by keeping this kid from watching people jump off the turnbuckle all day?  Again, I agree with the general sentiment about the parents.  I just tend to think that the parents should have been on top of this before it ever got to the balcony.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By regularassmilk

What the hell?
They blame the game and not wrestling?
Ahhh!
Fucking Media!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Systech

Not news that it was blamed on video games.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince

So he decided to try it off a building?!?

Poor kid.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Black_Raven

Is there a wrestling move in SmackDown vs. Raw where you jump off a building?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiggerBomb
Black_Raven said:
"Is there a wrestling move in SmackDown vs. Raw where you jump off a building?"

Well, there wasn't.