DEVELOPER DIARY: Small Forum Feature

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

Hey duders.... here's a quick friday diary for you guys. Just wanted to make you all aware, that we recently launched a nice little feature in the boards that allows you to associate a new topic to a specific wiki page on the site - instead of just attaching a new topic to a basic forum.

To do this, click the 'Specific Page' link (next to the board drop down) and use the auto-completer to search for the page you wish to attach your new topic to. Quick note, the form will allow you to add more than one item - but we take the last item you add and attach your board to that ;)

Here's a quick screenshot of the feature.

No Caption Provided

I'm currently working on some better signup/registration functionality -- as well as a consolidation and cleanup of our registration code in general..... Prolly won't really affect you dudes too much as you're already registered, but it will help GB going forward and it will make things a whole lot easier when we start updating our profile code :)

Other than that - hope ur all having a great friday! Take care, have a good weekend and be safe :)
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By coonce

Hey duders.... here's a quick friday diary for you guys. Just wanted to make you all aware, that we recently launched a nice little feature in the boards that allows you to associate a new topic to a specific wiki page on the site - instead of just attaching a new topic to a basic forum.

To do this, click the 'Specific Page' link (next to the board drop down) and use the auto-completer to search for the page you wish to attach your new topic to. Quick note, the form will allow you to add more than one item - but we take the last item you add and attach your board to that ;)

Here's a quick screenshot of the feature.

No Caption Provided

I'm currently working on some better signup/registration functionality -- as well as a consolidation and cleanup of our registration code in general..... Prolly won't really affect you dudes too much as you're already registered, but it will help GB going forward and it will make things a whole lot easier when we start updating our profile code :)

Other than that - hope ur all having a great friday! Take care, have a good weekend and be safe :)
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By serbsta

Nice feature! Should make things a lot more organized.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

That is a small, but great little feature. It will make things more organized and all, and organization is SWEET. Good job, nice add-on.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Systech

Cool... Convenient... I like it!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Endogene

This is the best feature yet, i have been hoping for this for a long time. Not sure if everyone realizes how important this is. Say there is some news about a new game. You can post your thread in the game's page where it should belong and on the forum page of the console where most of the people go and check if there is new stuff.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kush

I have to admit that this is a pretty awesome new feature...it's so simple, yet so essential. I hope that people actually notice the change and post more effectively.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Endogene
Kush said:
"I have to admit that this is a pretty awesome new feature...it's so simple, yet so essential. I hope that people actually notice the change and post more effectively."
Make me wonder, since you can move thread around can you now also attach them to different places?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum
Endogene said:
"This is the best feature yet, i have been hoping for this for a long time. Not sure if everyone realizes how important this is. Say there is some news about a new game. You can post your thread in the game's page where it should belong and on the forum page of the console where most of the people go and check if there is new stuff."
This actually sparked an idea in my head, having a section up at the top for tracked games, and getting updates when news is posted.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Endogene

I found two "bugs" well things that dont really work.

First thing is that when you create a thread in a game page you can not link that thread to another page, you can only do this when you create a thread on the main board.

Second thing not a bug at all really but when you add a new page to a thread it uses the same search engine as at the top right hand corner of the site that only shows the most popular pages with the words you are typing. Even if you type the exact title of the game page you wish to add the thread to it will not appear if the game is "obscure".
Exaple would be me not finding both the Arcade platform page and the page of a game i just added.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, well that's a problem with the search itself. Wait until you all see my ridiculous new search suggestion. You'll all pay!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rowr

This is why i love coonce so much...blah blah blah...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

New features are always bomb.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

Awesome!  :)

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Thanks Coonce AGAIN for his updates .

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By suneku

great feature, hopefully people use it.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Once again, you impress with your foresight.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Snail

Oh. Schweeet!

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By suneku

What happened to this ability? It's not there anymore

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, it's disappeared for me too. What gives?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Endogene

Did it actually work? I tried to look up the pages to wich i linked the threads i made but i could find no trace of them. Might just be me not knowing where to look though...

This thread posted in the Dead Rising wii game page should also be linked somehow to Nathan Spencer and Bionic Bommando.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
"Quick note, the form will allow you to add more than one item - but we take the last item you add and attach your board to that ;)"
Same thing as with trivia. You can only actually attach it to one of the selected pages.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Endogene

Looks like i never really understood the "associated pages" thing, where does it show up?

on a side not: just noticed that it is possible to e-mail friends trivia questions... wonder how long that is there.