Games that the critics loved that you hated?

• 94 results
Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I've seen the reciprocal of this topic done a million times, but I've never seen this actually be asked.

So, I ask giant bomb to bring out their inner contrarian, and rant off about a game everyone loved that you hated.

I personally have two big ones, and they are No More Heroes 2 and Eternal Sonata, both of which I think are absolute garbage of the highest order.

No More Heroes 2 is a shitty game that disguises itself as a shitty game.   Strangely enough, people saw this and thought it was a great game.  What? 

Eternal Sonata is a ridiculously easy pretention-fest that has some of the most bizzare design flaws I've ever seen in a game.  Also id doesn't have shit to do with Frederic Chopin.  

So. Now that you all hate me, it's time for you to let everyone else hate you!

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By CptChiken

In before halo, Cod, mass effect, and RDR. 

Me personally, the critics said NBA2k11 was awesome, i really didnt like it... but thats probably cos i suck at it.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By nohthink

Well..... Critics didn't really love this game but I hate Prototype.

I thought the game was broken, unplayable and utter piece of crap, which was why I was surprised when they decided to make a sequel for it. But yeah... hated it.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aronman789

I hated Prototype, nothing with the gameplay itself, the story just seemed like shit to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COD: WAW. 

BioEradication

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BioEradication

Grand Theft Auto IV, LittleBigPlanet, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and Oblivion.

Johnny2900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Johnny2900

I actually did not enjoy Link to the Past...I just did not feel the magic that everyone claim to have felt...
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Undeadpool

Fable. The game is too schizophrenic, it's got this deadly serious storyline and then you can fart on people, the combat is a mess of button mashing, it's never difficult, there's absolutely zero character arc or even development of any kind, and yet people seem to like it for...something! And I cannot for the life of me see what.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not a huge fan of Halo, or Red Dead. I don't hate them, I just don't love them.

Tairoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Tairoku

Prototype. And Braid. I have no idea what's so amazing about Braid.

jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By jdquach

I didn't really care for GTA4, and coincidentally, I'm not very fond of RDR ether. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Final Fantasy XIII - not every reviewer liked it obviously, but let me just say I'm 100% with Sterling on this one

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

ME2, UC2, and GTAIV.

I didn't really hate any of these games, but I feel like I wasted my money on them.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By owl_of_minerva
Fable 2, Resistance, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1/2, Infamous, Eternal Sonata, Batman: AA, Red Faction 3.
Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By shivermetimbers

GTA4, MW2, every single Zelda game besides Windwaker and Majora's Mask, the first Mass Effect game, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Silent Hill Shattered Memories 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

I could make a whole list about just that. Gimme a minute:

• Final Fantasy XII. Why do people love it? It's not even a game; it's a masturbating disc.
  • Singularity. Holy hell, is it generic.
  • Halo 3, obviously.
  • Devil Survivor, more obviously.
  • Oblivion. It's good as an open-world game, but not really as an RPG. Plus, the glitches.
  • Modern Warfare 2. So that's what a patriotic orgasm looks like. I shouldn't have to tell you how unfun it is to watch other people orgasm.
  • Mother 3. I like Mother 2, Earthbound fans; that's as far as I'm willing to go.
  • StarTropics. Wow, that hasn't aged well AT ALL.
  • Magic of Scheherazade. The music sounds like it was composed by RNG.
  • ShadowRun on the SNES. It just isn't good.
  • Sonic Advance 1.
  • Half Life 2's presentation of its story. The rest was fine; it's just that one aspect I don't like.
  • Silent Hill 2. It's just boring. Besides, I played Fragile Dreams before Silent Hill 2 came into the picture. and Fragile Dreams is essentially a much better Silent Hill 2.
  • The first King of Fighters. That is all.
  • Wario Land 3. Just a tad too much Metroid to it.
  • Comix Zone. Apparently, there is a way to fuck up the beat-em-up formula: make your own punches hurt you.
  • Monkey Island. Kind of. I still don't have a good concept of what a good/bad adventure game is, since I haven't played a lot of them, so I gave it a score lower than most would.
  • FF4: The After Years. God, that game sucks.
  • Out of this World. It's like Prince of Persia with the "son, I am disappoint" face already in there.
  • Super Smash TV. Eh.
BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

Cod nough said

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WickedFather

Fallout 3.  What do you get if you mix up boredom and mud?  Sixteen hours I spent waiting for something to happen that wasn't absolute drudgery... oh great, I've made somebody's head come off and spin around again... yeah, great.  What's that, love?  You want me to beat a badger with a plank?  Ok... done that now, have to say it was a little bit boring, but what now?  Oh, go somewhere and do something else that's just like what I've been doing but boring in a different way.  Ok.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By KingBroly

GTA IV 
Halo Reach 
Fallout III - To an extent, same with Oblivion, but that's a lot more fun

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By evanbrau

The Silent Hill series, almost all of the Zelda games and Little Big Planet. Tried my best so many times but just couldn't feel the same love critics and fans had for them.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Geno

Burnout Paradise. There's literally nothing to do in that game and it's not much of a looker either. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Hate is a strong word. I rarely hate something, I usually just decide it's not for me and put it aside. The critics did love Dragon Age and Oblivion much more than I did though.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Dragon Age are the first that come to mind.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By ryno9881

sigh

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Skytylz

I wanted to blow my brains out playing Farcry 2, but that's about the only one that comes to mind.  Theres a reason games get good reviews usually and I'm not worried about being internet cool.  

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jkz

Limbo. 

It was pretty, and sounded good, but that wore off after a few minutes, and I stopped playing about 3/4 of the way through out of boredom.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: Don't agree with you on most of those but I do agree with ShadowRun....damn that game hasn't aged well at all.
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mahonay

- Every Madden game in the past 9 years.
- Resident Evil 5

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rattle618

Mostly GTA IV and Fallout 3... mostly.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BaneFireLord

Not a big fan of COD. I can see the appeal, but the whole mentality that's sprung up around it makes me itch.
Otherwise...hmm. I fucking hated Force Unleashed, when critics were merely ambivalent. I generally just try to buy games I know I'll like based on past games I've played.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shirogane

GTAIV most definitely. Oh god, what did you do to GTA?! T_T 

ME series i didnt' hate, but i just didn't like that much, even though i just bought the ME2 collector's edition. Yeah, i'm insane.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#32  Edited By LordAndrew
@Video_Game_King: Of course, it's worth noting that you hate fun.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Animasta

GTAIV (GTA:SA is the best GTA game and maybe the best rockstar game, but I really like Bully) and Bioshock (granted I haven't gotten that deep into it, but that's because the mechanics fucking suck)

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By onyxghost

psychonauts. That game sucked pretty damn bad. Critics loved it. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures: 

Perhaps the most egregious error the game made was not giving mouse support. Ogre Battle got away with it because...wait, it didn't get away with it. Give me mouse control, Ogre Battle! Also, the only reason I didn't mention the NES version of Ys is because I'm the only person who "reviewed" it :P.

@LordAndrew:

I don't hate fun; I just hate bad games.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I can only think of one game. Mgs 4.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Subjugation
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I can only think of one game. Mgs 4.

"
90% movie/10% gameplay
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePickle

Fallout New Vegas. Fallout 3 is better in every aspect. 

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By coryrx8

Half-Life 2 - I HATE this game. The whole thing played like a really long, boring physics tech demo. The plot is nearly non-existent; what little we know about is a bunch of wild mass guessing by fans. The weapons could have been good had they been given a little attention and balancing, but instead Valve focused on the gravity gun to a fault. The levels are also far too long, dragging on way before they're finished. The vehicles make them even worse. Pretty much the only positive things that I've even said about HL2 is that the beginning of the game before you get the handgun is incredibly atmospheric and could have made an incredible adventure game, and that the art direction was top-notch.

NBA2K11 - Yeah, still not a great simulation of the sport. I always have to throw in my standard disclaimer though: I love basketball. I love playing it. I love watching it. It's going to take a lot for a basketball sim to ever impress me.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By subject2change

fallout 3, couldn't get into it (I played more New Vegas than Fallout 3...)

LittleBigPlanet, bought it played it a bit and just got bored of it and couldn't stand the controls. Gave it to my sister after she got a PS3 for streaming purposes and wanted some games to play (loaned her Ratchet and Clank as well)

Halo, series. Grew up with FPS on PC and this was the first step in moving shooters over to the console big time. Also not a fan of the story, i've played most of the 1st and just didn't care for it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zombie2011

Shadow Of The Colossus.  

I don't hate the game it's good, but i found the controls clunky as hell especially when you have to ride Argo and shoot Colossus with you boy.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By EpicSteve

Flower

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43  Edited By natetodamax

Modern Warfare 2. I don't think I saw a single review that mentioned how unbalanced and busted the multiplayer was and still is.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Burnout Paradise, Darksiders, Final Fantasy X, Fable 2 and borderlands. I didn't really hate them, but I didn't like them.

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oldjack327

God of War: It felt painfully obvious that the game was marked to a 13 year old demographic ( bewbs and blood rockzors, lolololololol). I felt awkward playing it. Also the game, needed some serious enemy variety. Minotaur with a hammer is not significantly different from Minotaur with a mace. 

Grand Theft Auto 4: The GTA series has always struggled with a bit of tedium and repetition, but it more than made up for those slight flaws by being batshit crazy. GTA 4 takes the tedium of the previous design... and adds in the tedium of real life. I like the story, but I couldn't bring myself to play the game in order to experience those cutscenes. 

Mass Effect 2: I don't know, I just felt like the developers played me. They somehow managed to get into my head and manipulate me to aimlessly wonder around the galaxy and play the most boring variant of minesweeper ever conceived. I don't want to count how many hours of my life were wasted on this completely mindless, bullshit compulsory task. Mining should have been left on the cutting room floor.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox

GTA4 to a degree. I wouldn't say I HATED it... but I certainly wasn't pleasantly surprised with it. Unlike Red Dead Redemption.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Osaladin

Oblivion - I detest this game. 
Halo 3 - I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. 
Street Fighter 4 - It is by no fault of the game, I just suck and hate fighting games. Except for MK II. 
Tales of Monkey Island - I freaking hate these games, every single one of them, they are horribly unfunny, very badly paced, and just generally no fun what so ever. 
GTA 4 - It's a great game... as long as the story is still going, so many bad design choices, but I still played it twice, I don't hate it by any means, but I do regret buying it. 
Killzone 2 - ehhh, multiplayer was good. 
Braid - I don't get it, I found no part of this game fun. 
Fallout 3 - Same as Oblivion. 
Tales of Vesperia - Because it sucks. 
Valkyria Chronicles - I really hated it the first time I played it, but I get a feeling that I will like it if I play it again. 
Resident Evil 5 - I really hate the game play. 
LittleBigPlanet - I thought it was extremely boring. 
Dead Rising - I don't think it needs an explanation. 
All Madden games. 

That's all I can think of now.

Vlodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vlodd

I also dislike GTAIV, RDR, Oblivion, and every COD since MW.  I'm surprised only one other person mentioned FFXII.  I disliked almost everything about that game (and still completed everything, including defeating Yiazmat).

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iam3green

mass effect, i don't know why but i found the game to be boring. it was just boring game that i couldn't stand. i was in the beginning of the game. i had to find the citadel but could never find it. whenever i asked people would say it's in the north by something something and i would say to myself where is that.... 

another game is gta 4. i do think there is an excuse for this because we never got to play the game. rockstar changed the entire game around.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By RichardLOlson

Fable 3 just felt lacking to me.  The premise is good and the game play is decent, but there was just something lacking.  I was sorely dissapointed with the ending, at least before the add-ons.  I enjoyed Oblivion cause it did stop after the main story line.  With Fallout 3 it did and it was fraustrating that I had to go back to the beginning and play it over to get the other achievements.  I like to get all in one fell swoop.