• 54 results
Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Davvyk

i might be on my own in thinking this but i preferred the front page layout that was featured on the website during E3.

By that i mean that the top section was divided into 8 static icons that featured the latest and most important news/features. Now the site has obviously reverted back to its original design with the coverflow esq carousel of icons that your can scan through.

Totally understand its just an opinion but did any one else prefer the E3 layout to the current layout?

opinions?

a poll has now been created here
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By samcotts

Definitely, the 8 box layout looked good. The front page needs a redo in my opinion. Add some colour at least.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By Hector

Yeah. I also prefer the E3 layout. Looked more catchy!!

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By darkspirit138

Nah, I really liike this layout.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Pazy

+1 E3 Version :)

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By daz0608

I liked the design more of the E3 skin but this is way more functional it's a lot easier to use and to see more content

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Davvyk

" I liked the design more of the E3 skin but this is way more functional it's a lot easier to use and to see more content "
@Daz0608: yeah il add although the skin of E3 rocked it rocked in the short-term. I Just found the E3 layout more functional. The sites constantly under redesign so im sure anything said here will be taken notice of by the developers.

whatever the community may decide
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tmthomsen

The fancy flash menu is too slow for navigating. You have to slide through all the news to get an overview.

I like the E3 version a lot better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree. I hate those things that change. So ineffective.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By snide
@Davvyk: We're always looking at what people have to say. The only problem with the previous layout is that in non-E3 moments we very rarely have 8 stories that are something everyone will be interested in. I may look into something that doesn't use flash in the next month or so but for the immediate moment we'll be sticking with the current layout.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By artofwar420

Or how about TWO layouts, that would surely satisfy everyone.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ineedaname
@snide: A non flash one would be nice as it doesn't work on my iphone =(
Speaking of which what ever happened to the iphone app?
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By maxszy

I also like the design of E3 better but as Dave mentioned above, I recognize why they don't do it on a regular basis. I would however like a more static page. Would help with the loading on my netbook. But that could be a selfish way of looking at it :-P

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60

Looks find too me.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By mattbodega

Really, what we need here is compromise: how do we keep the traditional scrolling-story front page and add in a T-Rex fighting a Bear?
That really seems like the best answer.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickL
@MattBodega said:
" Really, what we need here is compromise: how do we keep the traditional scrolling-story front page and add in a T-Rex fighting a Bear?That really seems like the best answer. "
ya i sure will miss that trex and bear...
Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Davvyk
@snide said:
" @Davvyk: We're always looking at what people have to say. The only problem with the previous layout is that in non-E3 moments we very rarely have 8 stories that are something everyone will be interested in. I may look into something that doesn't use flash in the next month or so but for the immediate moment we'll be sticking with the current layout. "
Totally understand that. In all honesty i never had alot of issues with the slider until E3 week ended and all of a sudden i really missed that layout. understand the comments regarding a lack of constant updates to fill 8 boxes however how about 8 boxes that are not solely dedicated to post updates. The space could be used to focus on other things much like the old tables did in previous layouts.

anyone got any ideas on what they would want to see if a 8 box layout was used? obviously this has nothing to do with me as im just a avid reader but im sure that most would agree that any dialog on future site development is good for all who enjoy GB.

This is all just dialog so that talented people like you snide can hear ideas and go ahead to make GB even more awesome than it already is. Laying further waste to the rest of the internet :)
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kohe321

Yeah I really like the E3 layout. I hope they can keep it, just without the E3 logo.

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Scratch

I also preferred the E3 layout. Maybe it's just because I've seen this quite more times and just want to see some change.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the E3 layout better, not to say that this one sucks, but yeah I'll miss the crazy Trex & Bear

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am fine with both versions, but the E3 did have more info and a slightly better look on my opinion. But Dave's reasoning is sound:  there usually aren't 8 stories that are important at a time, so this is understandable.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the site is still organized very poorly.  The videos and articles aren't even in the correct catagories a lot of times, and once something is old it's so hard to find.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kohe321
@RHCPfan24 said:
" I am fine with both versions, but the E3 did have more info and a slightly better look on my opinion. But Dave's reasoning is sound:  there usually aren't 8 stories that are important at a time, so this is understandable. "
That is somewhat of a valid point, but debatable. Do every story in the 8block layout have to be "breaking news"?
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PureRok

I hated the E3 layout.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kohe321

The problem with the new layout is that there is NO link to the GB store... Really weird. XD

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax

Does it matter? Giant Bomb is awesome either way.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kohe321

Yeah, I just think it would bring them more sales (and money) if they linked to the store. I bet there is a ton of users of the site who don't even know the store exists. Anyways, I love the old layout now that I see it again.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Kohe321 said:
"
@RHCPfan24 said:
" I am fine with both versions, but the E3 did have more info and a slightly better look on my opinion. But Dave's reasoning is sound:  there usually aren't 8 stories that are important at a time, so this is understandable. "
That is somewhat of a valid point, but debatable. Do every story in the 8block layout have to be "breaking news"? "
You know, you could just put random stories and videos to fill it up, and I would be fine with that. But I guess Dave feels that there should be important stuff up there all the time. In my opinion, all of GB's articles and videos are worth seeing ;)
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cheapoz

There is a greater problem with the front page flash.

On the NXE dashboard, the slides are positioned wide enough to read the text on every one, on GB the slides cover one another over and you can't instantly read 3/4 of the slides.

I know there are design challenges there, like if you made the slides further apart they'd all be way smaller. But yeh. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187
@MattBodega said:
" Really, what we need here is compromise: how do we keep the traditional scrolling-story front page and add in a T-Rex fighting a Bear?That really seems like the best answer. "
I agree with that right there.  I prefer the current layout over the E3.  Actually, to be honest, I didn't like the E3 layout at all, but it was already there and it wasn't changing, so no point in saying something.

However, the T-Rex versus Grizzly Bear was excellent.  Now all you need is the T-Rex brandishing an Electric Eel Sword and the Grizzly Bear brandishing his fashionable Fedora Hat of Bladed-Rim Glory...and it will be complete!!!
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Pie

Make a poll dude

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I think it was pretty awesome too.  I suppose you could put it up at big events and stuff.  The thing I think you needed most during E3 at least is to have a dedicated tab on the video player for the event.  I mean you guys put like 40 videos up over 3 days.  Having all that stuff on its own tab would be very useful.

FACT: The single best thing about E3 was the GiantBomb vs. E3 wallpaper on the front page.
GhostOfLeChuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GhostOfLeChuck

The E3 skin is much more appealing and is easier to browse through.

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lyphen

I hate scrolling. I'd love to see the E3 layout come back.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper

I prefer the one we've got now, it's easier to see what's new and there's rarely going to be a time when you're away for 1 day and all 4 boxes will be different. Anyway, say if they put up alot more content you can always use the arrow thing to catch up with the stuff you missed.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AllanIceman

I really like the E3 layout.  It was easy to read at a glance with more info on several stories.  The current one blocks some of the headings which forces you to make an extra click just to see what the post is about.  Also the E3 one loads a lot faster.  

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By coonce
@Davvyk: ya - i really liked that e3 frontdoor too. looked nice. :(
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The E3 layout looked better, bud I did like pressing the arrows to go through the recent/important stuff....But what's that really matter?

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joshs

Just adding another post in favor of the E3 layout. With the one before and after E3, I just scroll down past the Flash bit because it annoys me when something I think is worth reading isn't even on there but it is in the first 3-4 articles in the list below.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E3 layout was better. Instead of 8 boxes, I'd just have 4 though, since there's not as many stories.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dalai

Add one more vote for the E3 layout.  You could cut the number of stories from 8 to 6 and BAM!

There it is?

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BODDAH

Honestly, as much as I don't like Gamespot, I like their layout.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Davvyk
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Actually I liked the old layout before E3, that way I could see the newest stuff unlike the icons where it seemed to be whatever was most popular at the time.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Davvyk
@VisariLoyalist said:
" Actually I liked the old layout before E3, that way I could see the newest stuff unlike the icons where it seemed to be whatever was most popular at the time. "
that was also my favorite 
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#46  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I like the way it is now.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Optiow

I like this design. But I still think that Gamespot has one of the best layouts ever.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Davvyk
@Cheapoz said:
" There is a greater problem with the front page flash.

On the NXE dashboard, the slides are positioned wide enough to read the text on every one, on GB the slides cover one another over and you can't instantly read 3/4 of the slides.

I know there are design challenges there, like if you made the slides further apart they'd all be way smaller. But yeh. 
"
i can imagine that was something that was played with for hours on end to get a balance of looks and functionality. Id guess whats on the site is what worked best.

i can imagine hours of "does this.....or this look better?"   "wider?" "smaller?"

ah the joys of web page design
Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Davvyk
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
" The E3 layout looked better, bud I did like pressing the arrows to go through the recent/important stuff....But what's that really matter? "
it does not matter a great deal its just always good to have a open forum discussing users opinions on the site. That way a year down the line the site will be even better. I do agree that this is all a minor point but there is alot of good points that have come out in this discussion and they are all things  that the makers can take forward with them and implement if they so choose.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Davvyk said:
"
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
" The E3 layout looked better, bud I did like pressing the arrows to go through the recent/important stuff....But what's that really matter? "
it does not matter a great deal its just always good to have a open forum discussing users opinions on the site. That way a year down the line the site will be even better. I do agree that this is all a minor point but there is alot of good points that have come out in this discussion and they are all things  that the makers can take forward with them and implement if they so choose.
"
I meant that whats pressing the buttons really matter to me Not a whole lot. I wasn't downing the topic, I like the E3 layout.