• 86 results
The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By The_Icon

Do you think that we will finally reach CG realism in the next-gen? - I think so

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If in the second year of PS3, we have a game like Uncharted, or Killzone 2. Then what will we have in year 4 or PS3? Year 6?

I think by the time the next generation starts, we will have near CG quality in games. But that won't be what is important. Game variety is what I think will start to drop, slowly..

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blu_Magic

I think so too.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

I'm actually really excited to see what Nintendo does for graphics next generation.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
^ err... why?  Your most excited about the worst graphical console this gen's successor's graphics?  hmm...Anyway, we'll probably reach stuff like toy story and whatnot, we're coming pretty close to that.But cg will always be ahead of games.  That being said, I think games are progressing faster than most cg is
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ err... why?  Your most excited about the worst graphical console this gen's successor's graphics?  hmm...Anyway, we'll probably reach stuff like toy story and whatnot, we're coming pretty close to that.But cg will always be ahead of games.  That being said, I think games are progressing faster than most cg is"

Because the Wii isn't capable of high-resolution, hyper-polygonal gaming, doesn't mean a Nintendo console will never be on that level.  In all seriousness, the Nintendo is profiting more from the Wii than Microsoft the 360, or Sony the Playstation 3.  I would not be surprised in the slightest if Nintendo made a push for hyper-realism in the next-generation, if only because they have regained a lot of power lost in those Gamecube days. 

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cube
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ err... why?  Your most excited about the worst graphical console this gen's successor's graphics?  hmm...Anyway, we'll probably reach stuff like toy story and whatnot, we're coming pretty close to that.But cg will always be ahead of games.  That being said, I think games are progressing faster than most cg is"
Um, yes. I want to see if they go HD next generation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if Nintendo does go into the HD direction, you think they will even be competition? The games would probably look like PS3/360 games now, just like Wii looks like PS2 games... :\

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Icon

PS3 has still a long long way to go, I am also excited to see stuff at the end of it's life cycle.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aska
Sentry said:
"Even if Nintendo does go into the HD direction, you think they will even be competition? The games would probably look like PS3/360 games now, just like Wii looks like PS2 games... :\
"
Why?  Just because the Wii is currently like that?  You think because they're behind in graphics once now they'll always be one step behind?
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By clarke0

Well CGI movies will always be ahead of games simply because they do not have to render in real time. Games next generation might look somewhat on par with more recent movies. What I am looking forward to are advanced physics engines and AI, something we are improving on too slowly in my opinion.

EDIT: Also animation in games has a long way to go. We are improving graphical quality but characters don't seem to animate very realistically.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By hazelnutman

Only a matter of time. However, say goodbye for good to third-party exclusives due to extreme costs.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Aska said:
"Sentry said:
"Even if Nintendo does go into the HD direction, you think they will even be competition? The games would probably look like PS3/360 games now, just like Wii looks like PS2 games... :\
"
Why?  Just because the Wii is currently like that?  You think because they're behind in graphics once now they'll always be one step behind?"
They will for a while. Look how well it worked for them this time.

I think when the PS4 comes out, gamers everywhere will have an outcry of panic, saying, "We've already played this game before!!!" It won't be long before the age of rehash ends, and the new dawn arrives, most likely in the form of an upstart developer with the right priorities in mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aska said:
"Sentry said:
"
Why?  Just because the Wii is currently like that?  You think because they're behind in graphics once now they'll always be one step behind?"
No, because everything they have always made is like that lol. Obviously they don't want to dish out the resources to compete graphically with PS3 or 360. You really think they would have better graphics or a better system when it comes to specs, then the next Xbox or PlayStation machine? Doubtful.
efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By efrucht

We have already reached CG realism. Play MGS 4. The in-game cut scenes are perfect, and could pass for a CG movie if I didn't know it was a game, and saw someone watching a cut scene.

Will that become the standard? I hope not. I want things to be a little more artsy. Real-life is very boring!

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By efrucht
Sentry said:
"Aska said:
"Sentry said:
"
No, because everything they have always made is like that lol. Obviously they don't want to dish out the resources to compete graphically with PS3 or 360. You really think they would have better graphics or a better system when it comes to specs, then the next Xbox or PlayStation machine? Doubtful."
The GC was ahead of the PS2 in power.
Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Aarny91

Possibly.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By banksrob

yes nintendo's next console i think will have to have good graphics. I hope so anyway

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Karmum
Sentry said:
"
The Wii is competition already. They are spanking the 360 and PS3 sales wise. Nintendo is taking their time, they are making a huge amount of money on the Wii, and they obviously hope their next generation of a console and produce the same result, if not better.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By brukaoru
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Anyway, we'll probably reach stuff like toy story and whatnot, we're coming pretty close to that.But cg will always be ahead of games.  That being said, I think games are progressing faster than most cg is"
Toy Story is old in terms of CG animation, it's been surpassed by a few videogames already, in my opinion. I think we won't reach true photo-realism until a couple next-gen systems from now (if the world survives long enough to reach that point).
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colonel_Cool

CGI animation is so far ahead of any near-future game graphics technology, mainly because CGI uses a ray-tracing rendering technique and is not rendered in real-time, while games use a rasterization method. Ray-tracing is much more accurate and much better looking than what you can do with rasterization, but because it is so demanding to render in real-time, we won't be seeing anything like CGI graphics on next-gen hardware. I would probably expect entry level PS4/Xbox 720 games to look somewhere around Crysis Very High quality.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cube
Sentry said:
"
Hey genius. 2 generations in a row Nintendo didn't have the weakest console. They can definitely compete, and they've proven it, but only this generation did they choose not to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cube said:
"Sentry said:
"
Hey genius. 2 generations in a row Nintendo didn't have the weakest console. They can definitely compete, and they've proven it, but only this generation did they choose not to."
Thanks for calling me a genius. :) I feel special. =D

And yeah, that was when we hadn't really stepped into the technical age yet, like we are now, where specs means nearly everything, or a large quantity at least.

I highly doubt Nintendo could whip up something to compete with the PS3/360s tech inside. But thats just my opinion, I can't see the future; deal with it

Karmum said:
"Sentry said:
"
The Wii is competition already. They are spanking the 360 and PS3 sales wise. Nintendo is taking their time, they are making a huge amount of money on the Wii, and they obviously hope their next generation of a console and produce the same result, if not better."

I see your trigger post happy eh? Read my post, we are talking about tech, specs, etc. Not sales, just about the graphics/technology within the system. At least read the thread title before posting.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

I doubt until at least 2020+ honestly we will be on par with amazing looking CG, honestly the sooner the next wave of consoles get here it isn't going us any favors... the graphical differences from these to whatever is next will hardly shift, with our luck, we'll get another 'we're now done with this console completely, and btw your games won't work on it from now either once more! now buy these new shitty launch titles!"  Its not about just adding more power to it, its about whats possible at this time, thats what I figure anyway.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By angelkimne
efrucht said:
"Sentry said:
"Aska said:
"Sentry said:
"
No, because everything they have always made is like that lol. Obviously they don't want to dish out the resources to compete graphically with PS3 or 360. You really think they would have better graphics or a better system when it comes to specs, then the next Xbox or PlayStation machine? Doubtful."
The GC was ahead of the PS2 in power."
And look at how successful GC was compared to Wii. 
Nintendo are more likely to keep as close as possible as the Wii for their next console to try and emulate the Wii's success. Therefore they will try to keep the specs low and the price low.
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not quite. Next gen will not look as good as cg in movies just yet. But i hope i am wrong.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gunraidan
Cube said:
"I'm actually really excited to see what Nintendo does for graphics next generation.
"

Nintendo has stated many times that they aren't following the standard 5 year console transition. Expect like a Wii Lite or Wii + with features like HD and slightly better anti-analyzing (think GB Pocket to Original GB). As well as some other nice features during the time of the Xbox 3 and PS4's release.

efrucht
said:
"We have already reached CG realism. Play MGS 4. The in-game cut scenes are perfect, and could pass for a CG movie if I didn't know it was a game, and saw someone watching a cut scene.

Will that become the standard? I hope not. I want things to be a little more artsy. Real-life is very boring!"
Exactly what I was thinking while playing the game.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Nintendo probably won't make their next console a direct competitor to the next Playstation or Xbox, simply because they don't have to. They can make a console for cheap, which makes sure that the "soccer-moms" will buy it, which wil result in Nintendo making a crap ton of money. Nintendo's problem is gonna be to convince the "soccer-moms" to buy another console, but that's an entirely different discussion.

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Icon
efrucht said:
"We have already reached CG realism. Play MGS 4. The in-game cut scenes are perfect, and could pass for a CG movie if I didn't know it was a game, and saw someone watching a cut scene.

Will that become the standard? I hope not. I want things to be a little more artsy. Real-life is very boring!"
PLAY MGS 4?LMAO.. I guess u didn't visit my profile.....anways MGS 4 looks awesome, but it still a bit behind CG, like FF.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah dude, i think that when ps3 reaches the mature age of when ps2 released god of war 2, we will already be seeing a game that is knocking on Pixars door. So i believe, without a doubt, developers are going to have enough tricks up their sleeves to trick the eye into thinking its watching hollywood quality graphics. i say trick because thats mostly how real-time graphics work, it'll never match cgi, but in the midst of gameplay it will definitely look like it. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422

It could be on par with a lower quality of CG for sure,and some of the things in that game look amazing(best visuals atm) but its still far behind CG, talking about the standard very high quality CG,we've still got years to go before that is what we end up controlling in a game.

gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By gameshark5

Final Fantasy/Square Enix probably have the most realistic cut scenes so far,

theyre already so close to real, they can only improve so much more

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cube
Gunraidan said:
"Cube said:
"I'm actually really excited to see what Nintendo does for graphics next generation.
"

Nintendo has stated many times that they aren't following the standard 5 year console transition. Expect like a Wii Lite or Wii + with features like HD and slightly better anti-analyzing (think GB Pocket to Original GB). As well as some other nice features during the time of the Xbox 3 and PS4's release.

Well then that is disappointing as fuck.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pause422
Cube said:
"Gunraidan said:
"Cube said:
"

Well then that is disappointing as fuck."
lol...
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

The real question is, do we want photorealistic games? Is that really what you want? Do you want to have problems telling the difference between gams and reality? Do you think there would ever be made violent games? Wouldn't they be considered as snuff?

Would we go insane or hit the uncanny valley?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By grilledcheez

No we aren't close and I hope we never get there. :)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Cube said:
"Sentry said:
"
Hey genius. 2 generations in a row Nintendo didn't have the weakest console. They can definitely compete, and they've proven it, but only this generation did they choose not to.
"
Actually, the N64 was the strongest, right, with 64 bit? Mecha pwned.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pause422
VilhelmNielsen said:
"The real question is, do we want photorealistic games? Is that really what you want? Do you want to have problems telling the difference between gams and reality? Do you think there would ever be made violent games? Wouldn't they be considered as snuff?

Would we go insane or hit the uncanny valley?"
To plenty of people who aren't into those games unless they purposely are cell-shaded or made to look cartoony, we're already at that point. Some people think games already are too close to real that they feel something for killing people in them. That isn't me though, the more realistic everything looks, I enjoy it more, regardless of how real it ever appears to look, it is still only a 'game' , the same could be said for violent movies since years ago, using real actors and killing them off violently, I'm sure some people don't like that,but others realize its just a movie.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#39  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I hope I"m wrong and that we see something amazing with next-gen graphics, but if new consoles are pumped out around 2011 or so, I really doubt we're going to see any sort of major graphical upgrades.  Incremental upgrades, like what we see now, are probably going to be the norm until some major breakthrough in graphics technology happens and is affordable enough to put into a gaming system.

I think with the next gen of consoles, you're going to see more of a focus on gameplay innovations like the Wii.  If I knew what these were, I'd probably be a millionaire.  But I think we'll probably see something like fully body motion recognition, better integration of audio technologies, better voice recognition, and possible alternative methods of force feedback.  Imagine taking a leg shot in Call of Duty 10 and feeling the force feedback through wireless force feedback knee pads.  That'd be cool as hell.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gunraidan
Cube said:
"Gunraidan said:
"Cube said:
"

Well then that is disappointing as fuck."
Not to me really the Wii's potential hasn't even been so much as tapped and development for it will only get cheaper as developers can take more risks as some can't afford to make retail games up to the standard of even the PS3/360 (let alone PS4/XB3).
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
pause422 said:
To plenty of people who aren't into those games unless they purposely are cell-shaded or made to look cartoony, we're already at that point. Some people think games already are too close to real that they feel something for killing people in them. That isn't me though, the more realistic everything looks, I enjoy it more, regardless of how real it ever appears to look, it is still only a 'game' , the same could be said for violent movies since years ago, using real actors and killing them off violently, I'm sure some people don't like that,but others realize its just a movie."
I'm just saying that since games are interactive, you might be more in the moment, than if you're watching a movie. Especially if games start to be more emotional like Bioshock or GTA IV. Some people couldn't play Bioshock, because killing little girls was too much.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
brukaoru said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Anyway, we'll probably reach stuff like toy story and whatnot, we're coming pretty close to that.But cg will always be ahead of games.  That being said, I think games are progressing faster than most cg is"
Toy Story is old in terms of CG animation, it's been surpassed by a few videogames already, in my opinion. I think we won't reach true photo-realism until a couple next-gen systems from now (if the world survives long enough to reach that point)."

Tomzombie6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tomzombie6

lol xbox 720

the9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By the9
It would look like this.
It would look like this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the9 said:
"
It would look like this.
It would look like this.
"
That level looks like crap.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mistervengeance

no
it takes too much work and it's not worth the investment on the side of the developers. that is, unless they start charging 100 bucks for a game

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By samcotts

I reckon the PS4/Xbox 3 graphics will be on par with Crysis on the highest settings.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By jlaudio7
Cube said:
"
same here. I applaud them for stepping outside the box in terms of gameplay, but I hope their next system offers a standard controller as their main controller (or at least an alternative) to play all of their games. Most games I've played on the Wii seemed to have been ruined by wonky controls with the wiimote that would've otherwise been fine with a standard controller.
Also, Nintendo really needs to go HD by next generation. I initially got a Wii as my main console, but I soon saw that I was missing out on alot of games that, had the Wii had enough power, could've been on the console.
exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By exfate

Non-Realtime CG is constantly improving. Realtime can never catch up until what is possible plateaus.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Red
Cube said:

BRAIN IMPLANTS!