• 148 results
ExcessDebris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ExcessDebris

Does anyone thing Giant Bomb should use half stars in their reviews? Occasionally it feels like the overall score is skewed one way or the other because the GB reviewers only have 5 choices. Examples of this may be God of War III getting 4 stars when the text of the review definitely sounded more like a 4.5 kinda thing. Personally I'd be fine if Giant Bomb didn't have any "Score" to go along with the text of the review (ala Joystiq or Kotaku), but I know that is hard to pull off. Any thoughts?    

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By spankingaddict

i thought that ever since i joined GB back in july 09'

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skytylz

Whole stars is fine, because I think it's funny how Ryan gave GOWIII and Just Cause 2 the same score.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ez123

Nope, 1-5 works fine and the God of War review seemed more like a 4.25.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

No, because having half stars just make the scoring system essentially a 10 point system, which they wanted to avoid with stars. I agree no reviews should have star,s just read the review but for a good face value of the worth of a game, 4stars is much better then something like 7.8 or a 8.5, less mess

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap

No Caption Provided

Reviews aren't about stars... they are about the content.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

I think whole numbers are better.  I really don't like .5 or .1-9 that much.  Just a solid number is easier to understand.

ExcessDebris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ExcessDebris
@Soap said:

"

No Caption Provided
   Reviews aren't about stars... they are about the content. "

Well I agree with you. As I said before, I'd be perfectly happy if GB didn't use stars at all, but since they do, the 5 star system seems a bit too imprecise. 

Also I understand wanting to avoid the whole IGN, well this game is an 8.45 while this other one is an 8.53 so the second one must be a better game. But I think a 4 and a half stars is not really the same as an 8 out of ten. Plus using half stars would be a 10 point system as opposed 7.5, 8.3 type stuff which is really almost a 100 point system
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By captain_clayman
@Dany said:
" No, because having half stars just make the scoring system essentially a 10 point system, which they wanted to avoid with stars. I agree no reviews should have star,s just read the review but for a good face value of the worth of a game, 4stars is much better then something like 7.8 or a 8.5, less mess "
yeah 
"this game got 4 and a half stars, it's OBVIOUSLY superior than this game with 4 stars"

i like giantbomb because they almost force you to read the reviews.  4 stars doesn't tell you a whole lot.

i ALSO like giantbomb because you get to know the people that write the reviews by watching quick looks, listening to bombcast and all that stuff.  you find out about their personal preferences and opinions so you understand a review more when you read it.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Animasta
@Skytylz said:
" Whole stars is fine, because I think it's funny how Ryan gave GOWIII and Just Cause 2 the same score. "
yeah, JC2 definitely deserved to be rated higher than GOW3.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skytylz
@Laketown said:
" @Skytylz said:
" Whole stars is fine, because I think it's funny how Ryan gave GOWIII and Just Cause 2 the same score. "
yeah, JC2 definitely deserved to be rated higher than GOW3. "
Absolutely
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By FreakAche

Do you remember the Twilight Princess 8.8 "controversy" back in the Gamespot days? I think it was by design that Giant Bomb has an extremely low scale for their scores. It encourages people to actually read the reviews rather than dissecting the meaning of minor score differences.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By BrickRoad

If you go down the half star route you might as well just go for the .5 thing Gamespot moved to way back when. I actually didn't like that move, but it was born out of people going 'so.. Zelda GC is 8.9 and Zelda Wii is 8.8.. the GAME CUBEZ BETTAR?' Or so I believe, it seemed to come shortly after. Anyway the reviews should always be about the content, not the number at the end. Amazon, Itunes etc all use 5 star systems, and they quickly reflect someones personal view, but always read the written review. I wouldn't mind if no score was given to games.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Siris

The 5 star system is perfectly fine, you should read the review if you want to know how they really feel about a particular game.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By grilledcheez

No, it's great the way it is.  It's not about what game is better, it's about what level of quality or the kind of experience you can expect from the game.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VIGGO123

I think stars just are there for the people who don't bother reading the reviews. You might skim through the review, while not going int details since you already know the conclusion.  I don't have anything against stars, but half-stars just makes it easier just to skip reading altogether. I would prefer ditching the stars, because that way more people will probably read the article.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

no and that's the dumbest thing ever and it does not help anyone

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Semition

No. The scores are as precise as they need to be. Read the text if you want more detail.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Aetos

I like the stars. It makes you read the review to actually understand why it got that score. I feel that to many people just see the score and go with that, instead of actually reading the review.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By s-a-n-JR

No, otherwise it'd be a ten point scale system and if they wanted that they would have done 10 stars from the get-go.
allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By allprox

The scoring system is perfect the way it is. It gives a general overview of what the reveiwer thought of it without pissing anyone off by going to halfs and quaters and shit like that.
Gamespot used to do scores from 1 to 10 in decimals and it was just stupid to have a reviewer pick arbitrarily from 100 different numbers to reflect their opinion when it can be easily satisfied with the 5 stars system. Trust me it's better this way.

ExcessDebris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ExcessDebris
@FreakAche said:
" Do you remember the Twilight Princess 8.8 "controversy" back in the Gamespot days? I think it was by design that Giant Bomb has an extremely low scale for their scores. It encourages people to actually read the reviews rather than dissecting the meaning of minor score differences. "

I agree, but the problem for me is that since there are so few score differences the score doesn't really tell you very much. if something gets 4 stars on Giant Bomb, there is such a huge range of possibilities about the quality of the game that it tells you almost nothing. Now I can already hear people saying "well then read the review". Exactly, I always read the review, but if that is your answer than why have a score in the first place? Call me cynical, but part of me feels like it is to make sure they get the coveted Metacritic traffic. I just feel like you should either have a score system with enough gradations to be meaningful, or just not use scores at all. 

I suppose a 1-5 scale can help at a glance, but as has been pointed out with the JC2 and GOWIII comparison (regardless of which game you think is better) it certainly can create some odd scoring situations.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By sjschmidt93

I very much like the 20 point scale. So 0.5-10, .25-5, and 1-20. 

Yes, Gamespot's scale.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

Don't the users already have that option?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Red

I like whole numbers because they give a good, definitive, simple picture of the quality of the game. I know what five stars mean, but a 4.5 just gets into territory too complicated for real use, and only pleases fanboys who liked the game better than the reviewer.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iamjohn
@Semition said:
" No. The scores are as precise as they need to be. Read the text if you want more detail. "
This is how I feel.  Scores, if they exist, should be there to give you a ballpark idea of how the game is, not tell you the whole story.  If you're going to go for as much "accuracy" as possible in a score, why even have text?
OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OldGuy

Wait, they have stars? I must have missed that because I was reading the review.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By apathylad
@Video_Game_King said:
" Don't the users already have that option? "
Yeah, I wonder why users can review using half stars...
J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By J0n3s1

Absolutely! that or no score at all.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yes, them not using it means they care more about the written content than accurate scores for their reviews.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iamjohn
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Yes, them not using it means they care more about the written content than accurate scores for their reviews.

"
Uh... why is that a bad thing?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trophyhunter
@Allprox said:
" The scoring system is perfect the way it is. It gives a general overview of what the reveiwer thought of it without pissing anyone off by going to halfs and quaters and shit like that. Gamespot used to do scores from 1 to 10 in decimals and it was just stupid to have a reviewer pick arbitrarily from 100 different numbers to reflect their opinion when it can be easily satisfied with the 5 stars system. Trust me it's better this way. "
yeah 2 good stars 2 bad stars and 1 star in the middle it's perfect.
the 10 point scale is awful and useless
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Andorski

5 star reviews with half stars is the same as the 10 point whole numbers system.  I always viewed the 5 star scoring system as:

1. * = Awful
  2. ** =  Bad
  3. *** = Okay
  4. **** = Good
  5. ***** = Great

There is no reason for a scoring system to be more granular other than to cause "game vs. game comparisons" and other fanboy-centric topics.  5 stars scoring quickly conveys what the reviewer thinks in the most simple and straight-forward manner.  Making such a system more complex just undermines its original purpose.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch13696

Why the fuck does it matter. Don't worry about the score. Worry about the content. Now stop making posts like this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hunkulese

They should do away with the stars and switch to an Siskel and Ebert system but come up with something clever to do with bombs like a dud or explosion.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By damswedon
@Apathylad said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Don't the users already have that option? "
Yeah, I wonder why users can review using half stars... "
it's from ComicVine they use the half star scale, they came first so it just kinda carried over.
i think the staff can use half stars if they want, but they just don't.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King
@damswedon: 

A.) ComicVine has reviews? Weird.
B.) I think it's more that they don't have pictures for the half scores.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#38  Edited By BeachThunder

Thumbs up / Thumbs down is where it's at...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By AndrewB

This might not be contributing much to conversation, but...

sigh

-_- Giant Bomb community...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The score is supposed to be a rough guide of the overall quality of the game. And the 5 stars system does that well. It'll tell you if a game is fantastic, good, average, poor or terrible. And ultimately that's all the ratings are supposed to tell you. Going into any more detail would be pointless.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By PerryVandell

While I believe that it would be completely fine to take scores out of reviews, I believe I heard on the bombcast that they won't take out review scores since there are those people who just want to read a score and tell whether or not a game is good. And I'm fine with that too. I do get annoyed however when places (like ign) have reviews with .1 increments since that just causes people to determine a games quality purely on it's score. There are too many times that I have read arguments where someone said that "so and so" a game was better because it got a 9.4 while the other game got a 9.2. I do like the star system because when you have a 10 point scale, then the scores 1-5 essentially are just different scores saying the same thing: That the game sucks and don't buy it. I just think the star system is simpler and easier, and is the best method to use when having scores for reviews.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jmrwacko
@captain_clayman: Yeah, tbh I personally watch the quicklooks to learn about a game rather than read the review. More informative (and hilarious).
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NTM

I never liked stars. They're just kinda stupid and make whatever it is being scored seem less important. But yeah, half stars would be better. I like having five aspects. It could be gameplay, graphics, sound, lasting appeal, and presentation, just like IGN for example. You add each up, then divide it.  

1.0 + 2.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 + 5.0 = 15 / 5 = 3.0. I've always liked it that way. It seems a lot more important than what stars could tell someone. Because in each number, there's a lot of words in between. Know what I mean? (Ooo, rhyme) I also hate how Gamespot does it too. I also like pros and cons. I'm sure for people who don't like reading reviews all the way through, can at least get through that. It's quick and gets to the point.
Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shiftshaper

Back when GB started they made it pretty clear why they went with the star system, and frankly I agree with them. a solid 5 point scale is easier to understand and gives a clear message. 
1 star-absolute shit. 
2 stars- Not very good. 
3 stars- Its alright, but it's got issues. 
4 stars-Pretty damn good. 
5 stars- Amazing. 

When you give games imprecise numbers like 8.3's it only serves for people to have petty complaints about dark void getting a 7.6 while bionic commanda recieved a 7.7, or MGS 4 getting ONLY a 9.4!
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Stars are not meant to be used to compare games. God of War III and Just Cause 2 are not the same because they each got four stars. The star rating is indicative of the game being rated at the time. Also, adding half-stars just turns it into a ten point system. Why not have ten stars at that point? I still don't think we should have any ratings at all, but at least Giant Bomb's star method is a tiny step in the right direction.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By Willy105

Nah.

When Giantbomb reviews their games, they are SURE of their score. They don't do halfsies.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PillClinton

I could dig half stars.  A good 1-10 scale is always nice, especially considering the fact that gow3 and jc2 got the same score.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meltac

Nope, because then it would just be a 1-10 rating system.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
@100_Hertz said:
"I could dig half stars.  A good 1-10 scale is always nice, especially considering the fact that gow3 and jc2 got the same score. "

They got the same score because they are in the same ballpark in terms of quality.   

But really, the decimal points just give readers the illusion of minute details that don't exist.  Very little, if anything, seperates an 8.9 from a 9.0, but for some reason it makes the idiots of the internet go nuts.  The 5-point scale makes everything really easy.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Coombs
@Skytylz said:

" @Laketown said:

" @Skytylz said:
yeah, JC2 definitely deserved to be rated higher than GOW3. "
Absolutely "
Agreed.

@Shiftshaper said:
" Back when GB started they made it pretty clear why they went with the star system, and frankly I agree with them. a solid 5 point scale is easier to understand and gives a clear message. 
1 star-absolute shit. 
2 stars- Not very good. 
3 stars- Its alright, but it's got issues. 
4 stars-Pretty damn good. 
5 stars- Amazing.   "

It doesn't get better than that.   
Numbers don't mean shit since enjoyment of a game is mostly dependent on personal preference