Interest in seeing Giant Bomb cover more sports games?

• 58 results
WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WVUEers

I know that stereotypically sports gamers are viewed by (the ironically self-stereotype fulfilling) hardcore gamers as just being "Bro's interested in pounding some Natty light". But to be quite honest the sports gaming market is pretty damn diverse, it's sales obviously make up for a heavy portion of game related sales which by sheer logic would imply most gamers are in some ways "a sports gamer". I personally have long been kind of turned off by Giant bomb's inadequate coverage of what really is this large sect of the gaming industry, journalistically I also find it somewhat bothersome. On occasion we do get thrown a bone (see Virtua Tennis 4) but usually this comes in a slow gaming week and it seldom is more then that of quick look. I understand the staff are perhaps not sports buffs and hence their apprehension in fully covering topics they are not kept up to speed on, but when you look at the various other franchises they cover where they are not aware of the back stories aside from a brief Wiki over view then I feel as though their argument there falls apart. The second issue I'm sure will be raised is that the staff simply has no interest in those games, which is where I kind of would have to question the motives of the site then. If the staff's disinterest in sports is so severe then they should hire someone who has an interest and knowledge on the subject to write and review for them.  I understand logistically the site is unable to even review/cover some mainstream games but they do seem to put a stronger effort towards those at least. Last year NBA 2K11 was released, by all account the game was one of the best sports games to date, it was a complete new direction in the series and on a lot of critics GOTY list, and yet it was never mentioned on the site. 

I don't know perhaps I'm in the minority on this subject,  I just think that if the site is going to branch out and try to legitimize itself as a premium provider of gaming news and discussions it shouldn't keep neglecting a huge genre. I found it more excusable in the past due to the size of the site and what I perceived as limited resources and space, but from what I grasp now, GB is doing pretty well so I think now is the time to move forward on this topic. 
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The staff cover the games that interest them. The majority of the staff aren't interested in Madden or NBA, so they don't cover them. And there is nothing worse than games press being unenthusiastic and bored of the games they're playing, and that's what would happen if they started covering them. They just don't enjoy those games, so coverage of them would be largely useless. Alex is somewhat interested in those games, so we have had reviews from him of Madden & other sports games, but since none of the other staff care about those games, any other form of coverage would be pointless. A Quick look of Madden would just be Jeff & Ryan talking about how they don't care about the game for 30 minutes. Either that or they would be faking enthusiasm for it, which would be even worse.

And saying "hire someone" isn't going to help. None of us know the inner workings of Whiskey Media's finances and the feasibility of hiring new people. And I doubt the benefits of hiring a new person to cover sports games would outweigh the costs.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

Christ no.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I don't care much about sport games but if they do find a way to cover them better for the people that like them, then sure why not?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Yeah, that's not going to happen. We might see a Quick Look of a sports game here and there, but you'll need to look elsewhere for a more informed opinion. People hate on IGN on these boards all the fucking time, but I enjoy their sports coverage along with some other sites. I've seen Alex do some sports news, but that's about it.

Edit

I also read user reviews on Giant Bomb when it comes to sports games. Again, some people have a major dislike for user reviews.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Yanngc33

Unless it's fifa, hell no. Fell asleep twice during that Virtua Tennis 4 Quick Look

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By laserbolts
I guess they could cover them but seriously they barely ever change from year to year. I mean besides a few new animations. Of course there are exceptions but they are few and far between. This is why I stopped buying the NHL games. I pay 60 bucks a year for basically the same game fuck that.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

No thanks, I know what to expect out of the sports games that I like.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Jumbs

Sports games are literally the worst genre of game.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany

None of them are that interested except Alex kinda and he is leaving to NY so I doubt it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

I wouldn't call many people that like sports games (mainly) "gamers". Plus, it's not always what we want. The Giantbomb crew as a whole said themselves that they're not that into sports games, so I don't see a huge reason to do this unless they got someone from the outside to come in and help.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daveyo520
@Claude: Some people have a major dislike of you! BURN! Nah, jk no one does.
PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PokeIkzai

I hope they end up covering more. It'd be fun. I love some sports games like The Show.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Hell no. The staff have no interest in them and I don't either.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

Oh, hell no.  Most of the staff has no interest in sports games, so there's little point.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp
@WVUEers: Are you trolling?

Why the fuck would you want them to cover something they know nothing about?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude
@Daveyo520 said:
@Claude: Some people have a major dislike of you! BURN! Nah, jk no one does.
No Caption Provided
You hurt me man. You hurt me bad.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Daveyo520
@Claude: I am so sorry! I didn't mean it! ;_;
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

I'd be interested in seeing reviews of alternative sports titles. Or, maybe they do, already? Did they review Blitz: The League? I'm not sure. I guess that speaks to how much I don't pay attention to them already.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

Then again, if we get more reviews for games like Madden NFL Football, I wouldn't be totally against it. :P

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jimbo

They should bring back ridiculously violent sports games.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hockeymask27

After in my opinion was the best quick look ever. I'm hungry for some more NHL game coverage from the staff.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn

Consider how many hires the site has made since its inception: two.  One hire was a second video editor because Vinny can't do everything by himself; the second was a news guy who is not only satisfying a niche GB has always been resoundingly poor at, but he is also pretty unique when it comes to the industry in general because Patrick is one of the few games writers that does investigative reporting.  Finding someone who can do sports games coverage is a lot harder than you think, since it involves finding someone who is a competent writer and can well articulate the differences between titles, not to mention someone who can look at the games both as products of the legacy of a brand without letting identification with a brand cloud their judgment (and I know from the experience of living with a bunch of dudes who were super into sports games that sports gamers are especially bad about brand loyalty).  And what do you really suggest they do?  Hire someone as a full-time employee?  Well that requires them to find someone who can do more than cover the sports games that occasionally come out because otherwise you're going to have someone sitting around doing nothing.  Get someone to do freelance?  Well, they already have Alex to do the occasional Madden and wrestling game review.  And above all, it's about finding someone who really gels with the personality defined in the three years the site has been around.  So really, if you're going to be breaking down all the reasons why they should have a sports writer, perhaps you can acknowledge the realities of the situation and give us a suggestion for who would fit the bill well?

All that said, I think Andrew Fitch could be a good fit for the site since he does really great coverage of both JRPGs and sports games, both of which GB seriously lack, but there's no telling if he'd even be interested in coming to work for Whiskey.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aetheldod

No , I was bored to hell with the virtual tennis QL and TNT , glad they changed to MK instead

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

If Novak Djokovic is in them, then yes. 

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

Best chance of getting sports reviews is from Alex Navarro....most of the staff aren't into sports games.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By fox01313

But this is why that they allow user reviews so the diehard fans of 'insert sports franchise here' to put up reviews or other thoughts to fill in the gaps of where Whiskey Media crew haven't covered enough.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By blueaniman93

i really don't have an opinion of sports game fans. I like sports games that are not simulation based, rather arcade based e.g. NBA Street, NBA Ballers, NBA Jam, and NFL Street.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax

Nope!

WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WVUEers

Is this not a video game coverage site though? Seems pretty narrow minded to not cover an entire genre because you don't like it, that'd be like film critics not seeing romantic comedies because they don't like them, it still pertains to the job at hand. Not to mention I don't see how their lack of knowledge of players/sports is relevant, they go into quick looks of tons of games that are existing franchises completely blind as to the fiction involved when it's assumed most fans will know, that  hardly seems to harm their coverage. 
Also Virtua Tennis was boring because Virtua Tennis is boring (Ryan didn't exactly bring his A game in enthusiasm as well), that's not indicative of an entire genre though. I'm not really asking for a crazy amount of coverage but as it stands crazy ass PC games receive more attention. 

Deiterbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By Deiterbomber

I think it would be cool if they threw some more coverage up for sports games, because that would mean they're covering a wider variety of stuff, but it's always better to have less GOOD coverage, rather than more MEDIOCRE coverage. I think it's best if the team stays focused on what they enjoy and do best.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Hizang

Not unless theres red shells and bannana skins..
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BaneFireLord

Nope.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Subjugation

Considering the fact that new iterations of established sports series hardly every innovate at all and are simply content with updating rosters, I don't really see the point. This year they improved the normal mapping and specular mapping on the football! Wow! /yawn

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By benjaebe

The problem with sports games is they're more or less the same every year and they probably don't make for the most entertaining coverage.

WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WVUEers
@weeman105 said:
Considering the fact that new iterations of established sports series hardly every innovate at all and are simply content with updating rosters, I don't really see the point. This year they improved the normal mapping and specular mapping on the football! Wow! /yawn
This argument could made for tons of games though that aren't even sports related. I mean Guitar Hero/Rock Band? Every FPS sequel ever? Besides simply because they look review NHL 11 doesn't mean they must look at NHL12. I think it probably only calls for persistent updates when genre defining changes take place, ie. NBA 2K11, Madden 05, etc. Even if they wanted to look at it every year it's not that big of a yawn fest, they practically cover every WWE SvR release and that is roster/re-paint the max. 

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OppressiveStink
@WVUEers:
The thread should tell you how many people who're actually interested in seeing sports reviews.  A very small percentage of Giant Bomb users are into video games and with the small amount of actual content creators employed at the site, it wouldn't be cost effective or worth it to spend their time on it.  They just wouldn't get enough "bang for their buck."

That's discounting the fact that they've all expressed how boring the average sports video game is for them.  IMO, the occasional arcade-y sports game like NBA JAM or fantasy sports games like Blood Bowl are okay, but the iterative yearly sports game bores me(and a majority of other users) to death.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blueaniman93 said:
i really don't have an opinion of sports game fans. I like sports games that are not simulation based, rather arcade based e.g. NBA Street, NBA Ballers, NBA Jam, and NFL Street.
WHY DID YOU LEAVE US EA SPORTS BIG?!
hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By hawkinson76

no

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chrissedoff
@iAmJohn: i think andrew fitch is a good writer but i can't imagine him being comfortable at whiskey media.
still, it would be nice to see more sports game coverage from giantbomb, but our community is such a bunch of haters i bet they'd leave the site if they thought they might have to share it with "jocks"
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By face15

Sports games are incredibly boring to watch.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Milkman

If they hired someone interested and knowledgeable about sports games, sure. But with the current staff? No. That wouldn't do anyone any good.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Enigma777

No.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BabyChooChoo

What Matty said...

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sameeeeam

The staff doesn't really know much about sports games. It wouldn't be good for anyone.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Leafhopper

No. Just no.

Seeing them cover game that just gets updated every year by changing the roster slightly and the controls slightly and maybe the graphics every year and are getting charged a full priced game. Please no.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By PhatSeeJay

With sports interested staff and users here being a minority - I really don't see why they would dedicate resources for it.

I for one don't care too much about sports games. The ones I'm interested in are games I know what to expect from without reading about them.

I would, though, watch a scrub league tournament with sports games. Some NHL or Virtua Tennis tension with everyone screaming at each other. Now that's how sports games should be covered on Giantbomb.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, sports game tend to be boring to watch.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vexxan

No.