• 81 results
#1 Edited by Marino (4696 posts) -

Hey, everyone (anyone!). The moderator team wants to let you all know about some changes to how moderating works on the new site. As you may know, on the current (old) site, we have the option to ban users from the forums and the wiki separately. So, for example, someone who gets banned from the wiki would currently still be able to post on the forums. Once we move to the new site, there is only one type of ban, which covers both aspects of the site.

What does this mean for you?

First of all, it's not retroactive. If you are someone who is currently banned from the wiki, but not banned from the forums, you will still be able to post in the forums on the new site. You will still not be able to edit the wiki though.

Secondly, from February 12th forward, if you do something that warrants a ban in either the wiki or the forums, you will lose your privileges for both. So, if you value your ability to talk to people on the forums, don't do something dumb on the wiki. And vice versa.

Our best advice to you, as always, just DON'T BE A JERK. Achieve that and none of this other stuff will pertain to you. Between now and when the new site launches, you might want to refresh yourself on the rules of the site. And if you have any questions regarding this or anything else about rules, moderating, etc, just PM Mods

Staff
#2 Edited by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

Any chance there are going to be rules against just saying "First" on every article/video?

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (1719 posts) -

That's actually a great idea. Will hopefully keep people from doing dumb things on either.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10999 posts) -

Good to know! I will continue doing my best to not be a jerk!

#5 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

New site? Are there two Giant Bombs now? Sorry I'm still new here.

I won't be a jerk, I promise.

#6 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
@ShadowMoses900 There's been a site redesign in progress. The beta is open to everyone at seaserpent.giantbomb.com. The site will be live Feb 12.
#7 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

If I could add something, I'd really like if there was something that said someone was banned, like an avatar; even if it was just their minibio or something. I mean obviously not for the spambots but I totally didn't even know was banned until someone said so like 3 months later.

#8 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

Any chance there are going to be rules against just saying "First" on every article/video?

Oh please, this. I hope that it stops now that quests aren't a thing, but for some reason I have this nagging fear that it will happen anyway.

#9 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@ShadowMoses900 There's been a site redesign in progress. The beta is open to everyone at seaserpent.giantbomb.com. The site will be live Feb 12.

The site doesn't let me log in, it just keeps going back to "log in" again. Guess they are still working out the bugs.

#10 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
@ShadowMoses900 Whoops, the beta is available to anyone who signed up before thanksgiving. You'll be able to sign in when the site goes live.
#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@ShadowMoses900: Have you changed your password in the past few months? If so, the beta expects your old one.

#12 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1049 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

Oh please, this. I hope that it stops now that quests aren't a thing, but for some reason I have this nagging fear that it will happen anyway.

Before we had that quest i don't think i ever saw one person do that on this site so it should be ok, but there are more new people on here so who knows.

#13 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

@SexyToad: Ah well I'm still new here...so that might be why lol.

I have to say I really like this community, it's very mature and respectful.

#14 Posted by Mento (2540 posts) -

When I saw that uploaded "Banned" emblem in my feed, I thought for a moment that the Seal of Mod Approval just got a dark antithesis for the blogs that really suck. Probably a little harsh to ban people for bad blogging, but it would've been all the convincing I needed to give my future ones another once over for typographical errors before publishing.

I had absolutely no idea you could be banned from just the wiki or forums and still have access to the other. It's odd to think how many trolls that are out there who earn thousands of points in accurate and helpful wiki submissions to then jump on a random thread and make spurious claims that Patrick's hair contains secret Nazi memorabilia or something equally incendiary. Why be so dedicated to this site one way and so dismissive in another?

#15 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1049 posts) -

@ShadowMoses900: you joined in 2011 so you should be able to get in.

#16 Posted by Fobwashed (2065 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

Before we had that quest i don't think i ever saw one person do that on this site so it should be ok, but there are more new people on here so who knows.

It'd be too confusing a rule to enforce. Most people online know not to be jerks and that being an ass might result in a ban but it's too much to ask the general populace to know that commenting with a "first" type comment would result in a ban. People will always want to be seen at the topside of comments so they'll always post something without reading/watching the content -_-;; I'd think a better option would be if you could up/down vote comments with downvoted ones automatically being collapsed but we can't all have what we want =)

#17 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1469 posts) -

Is "Brad is leaving" almost a bannable offense on the new site? I feel like it should be.

#18 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
@Lego_My_Eggo

Huh, when you said "new" member I thought this year. Try using a old password.
#19 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@Lego_My_Eggo

Huh, when you said "new" member I thought this year. Try using a old password.

I made the account a long time ago but I didn't start posting here until just recently. It's also the same password.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

It'd be too confusing a rule to enforce. Most people online know not to be jerks and that being an ass might result in a ban but it's too much to ask the general populace to know that commenting with a "first" type comment would result in a ban. People will always want to be seen at the topside of comments so they'll always post something without reading/watching the content -_-;; I'd think a better option would be if you could up/down vote comments with downvoted ones automatically being collapsed but we can't all have what we want =)

What do you think this is, Reddit!?

#21 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Nah, you could just have a general "no pointless stuff" rule, which I think we already have. You can't just comment "lol," so "first" should be included.

#22 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Be nice, y'all

#23 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

Is "Brad is leaving" almost a bannable offense on the new site? I feel like it should be.

I hear Brad is leaving when the new site launches. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist...)

#24 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The whole "don't be a jerk" rule is kind of a terrible one. It's entirely subjective. I've seen mods do their fair share of jerky things.

#25 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

@GreggD said:

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

I hear Brad is leaving when the new site launches. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgAImk7PCf0

#26 Posted by PandaBear (1371 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

Except there's a quest that rewards this, so it's actually encouraged.

#27 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

More importantly don't be a snitch, bitch!

I kid! I kid! Don't ban me!

#28 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
@DarthOrange

More importantly don't be a snitch, bitch!

I kid! I kid! Don't ban me!

Snitches get stitches.

*PM mods about DarthOrange's post"
#29 Edited by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

Actually, there already is. To quote the section of the forum rules on spam, we prohibit "making comments which have no discussion value such as "first" or "bump"".

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

It's not "Almost bannable", but we already deal with such comments here. It's spammy and it genuinely upsets users.

@McGhee said:

The whole "don't be a jerk" rule is kind of a terrible one. It's entirely subjective. I've seen mods do their fair share of jerky things.

I disagree that it's entirely subjective, but we are aware that different people are going to have different interpretations of what being a jerk is. However, the mod team believe that a site can't be moderated by just sticking to a draconian set of rules and that some personal judgement must always be implemented. We will give people some leeway on this one up to some point, but what we refuse to allow is any user using this site to clearly be a dick to people here, and then turning around and trying to pretend there's an excuse for it. When we make it our foremost rule not to be a jerk, that leaves no excuse.

#30 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@Fobwashed said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

Yeah, fuck that. Downvoting kills individuality and results in endless circle-jerks. People don't downvote inane comments or those that violate rules (there's reporting/flagging for that) they downvote what they don't agree with, which is stupid.

Everyone gets the same visibility in GB.

#31 Posted by Undeadpool (4935 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

I saw tooooooons.

#32 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

I think a temporary comment ban and a message explaining why it happened would be a perfect way to address it. People would not be permanently punished for being a first time idiot, but they will definitely find out it is frowned upon. If they do it again it could be a permanent comment ban. I say "temporary ban" as in a week or something long enough to make a point, but not enough to make someone upset if they were unaware of the rule. This seems at least reasonable to me. Also, I don't want this to turn into reddit/youtube with the up vote/down votes. Comment section is fine as is.

#33 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

I was hoping for a murder slingshot but hey, that'll do.

#34 Posted by konig_kei (617 posts) -

good news, those freeloading peasants have been going willy nilly like the internet hooligans that they are. maybe they will behave like civilised gentlemen now.

#35 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

Fat chance. Not only is it accepted, but it's fucking encouraged. For at least a year, being the first person to post in an article was a fucking quest achievement. God mother fucking damn it that absolutely pissed me off. It ensured that the first whole page would be absolutely meaningless shit. I mean, moreso than usual.

@Subjugation said:

@Fobwashed said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

Considering how half the posts in threads are "look at this stupid photograph, video, or image of a pseudo-meme that I'm posting in response to your comment, instead of writing one mother fucking sentence!" . . . . it'd be easy to confuse the two.

Also, no, Slashdot originated rating comments by about a decade. And, frankly, probably someone before that.

Also, GB had voting on comments, initially. It didn't seem to actually mean anything and didn't impact anything, so not sure what the point of it was. It went away after awhile. Probably for the better, because voting on comments is a shit solution as it simply turns every conversation into group-think. "This guy is saying something I disagree with, so I'm voting his comment down!"

@EmuLeader said:

@Fobwashed said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

I think a temporary comment ban and a message explaining why it happened would be a perfect way to address it. People would not be permanently punished for being a first time idiot, but they will definitely find out it is frowned upon. If they do it again it could be a permanent comment ban. I say "temporary ban" as in a week or something long enough to make a point, but not enough to make someone upset if they were unaware of the rule. This seems at least reasonable to me. Also, I don't want this to turn into reddit/youtube with the up vote/down votes. Comment section is fine as is.

For all the shit that Polygon is, this is one thing that is interesting about their system. When someone moderates your comment, it requires you to acknowledge that you've been moderated and then read a brief explanation written by the person who performed the moderation before continuing with the site. As soon as you load a page after the activity has occurred, it just throws a little pop-up that basically says "Hey, we did XYZ, because you wrote ABC. Please blah blah blah in the future or blah blah blah." I'm not sure how the system really works here and I know moderators will PM people privately after some moderation activities, but it should be a streamlined process that happens as the moderator is committing the action to the system.

#36 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

As long as a little fuckin around here and there is still acceptable.

#37 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

I saw tooooooons.

You saw "toooons?" Huh?

#38 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I knew things would get bad eventually. CBS-itus.

#39 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
@ShadowMoses900

New site? Are there two Giant Bombs now? Sorry I'm still new here.

I won't be a jerk, I promise.

there is going to be a redesign of the site. no need to apologize.
#40 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

Well, there won't be a quest for it anymore. At least when it launches.

#41 Posted by Fattony12000 (7404 posts) -

Meh. I don't know, I think I'll try being a jerk this time around.

#42 Posted by Undeadpool (4935 posts) -

@insouciant said:

@Undeadpool said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

I saw tooooooons.

You saw "toooons?" Huh?

Yep, an exaggerated extension of the word "tons" to indicate a great number more.

#43 Posted by The_Nubster (2130 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

I knew things would get bad eventually. CBS-itus.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

#44 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

What is the point of this, if you don't mind me asking? Seems kind of silly to ban people who are good wiki writers but bad forum posters from both and vice versa.

#45 Posted by Wacomole (819 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

What is the point of this, if you don't mind me asking? Seems kind of silly to ban people who are good wiki writers but bad forum posters from both and vice versa.

I don't see why not.

If it means more people are aware of the consequences of their jerkish actions, in this case losing all of their posting privileges, I say more power to 'em.

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Going on gut feeling, I'd wager that if someone is bad enough to get banned from one, they're probably not very good at the other.

#47 Posted by BillyTheKid (485 posts) -

I do not plan on being banned, and I do not think I am a jerk so... this doesn't really apply to me. Either way it is good to see this kind of stuff implemented, keeps the level of dicking around to a minimum.

#48 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

Can I suggest not banning people just for mentioning they go banned? A reply would be nice.

#49 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Wow, that old system was strange.

#50 Posted by Hailinel (24716 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@iAmJohn said:

Going on gut feeling, I'd wager that if someone is bad enough to get banned from one, they're probably not very good at the other.

Or if they get banned from one, it may cause them to go apeshit in the other. Like a user that gets banned from the forums going on a vandalizing rampage through the wiki.