The Community Spotlight - 02/11/2017

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
It's time to slam thanks to the Giant Bomb Game Jam!
It's time to slam thanks to the Giant Bomb Game Jam!

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week. This week, as notable video game releases such as For Honor and Nioh grace western audiences it appears we are slowly but surely making our way out of the "Winter Game Drought." Regardless, the Giant Bomb community has been up to a number of interesting and creative projects this week. Speaking of which, let's get on with the site related housekeeping as this week there's actually quite a bit!

Community Activities

Giant ROM 4 - The Giant Bomb Game Jam Encore (By: @zandravandra)

The fourth annual Giant ROM, Giant Bomb Game Jam, has officially concluded! That said, please feel free to try out and play all of the wonderful creations spawned from the event. How can you say no to a game called "Lang Attack?"

No Caption Provided

Street Fighter V Season 2 Tournament (By: @saft)

The Giant Bomb Street Fighter V Season 2 tournament is officially accepting sign ups! Get the details on how to join the fun NOW!

The (Un)Official Elysium Project Giant Bomb Guild (By: @pfhor)

Are you playing on the new Elysium vanilla World of Warcraft server? Luckily for you, we have a new Giant Bomb community guild just for you

Clips Of The Week

I Made A Giant Bomb Thing (By: TestingTesting9)

I know, I know. You might think you are tired of watching Roundabout videos, but this one for "Sheikh Zanzibar" is too PERFECT to ignore!

Giant Bomb Galleria

Jason Warm-up Sketch (By: @morehandclaps)

morehandclaps' warm-up sketch this week played around with Jason on the Bombcast last week. Many thanks to her for doing so!

No Caption Provided

Future For This Is The Run (By: thazMeInTheBack)

thazMeInTheBack had fun contemplating possible next installments for This is The Run after having buckets of fun with the Contra edition.

No Caption Provided

This Is The Run Webcomic (By: Paul Abbamondi)

Over on Tumblr Paul Abbamondi illustrated his favorite "This Is The Run - Contra Edition" quote into webcomic form.

No Caption Provided

Best Of Blogs

Sorry Sonic, but according to danielkempster it isn't.
Sorry Sonic, but according to danielkempster it isn't.

A Seven-barreled Blast Of Video Game Blogging Fun (By: @marokai)

Marokai made up for lost time by reviewing every game, seven in total, he has completed since his last blog on Giant Bomb.

The Backlogbook - Week Five (By: @danielkempster)

danielkempster details his time with Tomb Raider (2013), and reasoning for balking at the Sonic Adventure franchise, over here.

Gravity Rush Remastered Is A Flawed Gem And One Of My Favorite Games Of Recent Years (By: @bigsocrates)

Can a game be flawed, but also one of your favorites in recent years? BigSocrates explains why he feels that way about Gravity Rush Remastered.

Discover why Ezekiel objects to this screencap.
Discover why Ezekiel objects to this screencap.

Dropping Third-person View From Survival Horror And Other Games(By: @ezekiel)

Ezekiel extrapolates why the recent trend of dropping third-person view from survival horror games, and games in general, frustrates him to no end.

February Vita Lineup And Upcoming Titles (By: @blacklagoon)

A new month means BlackLagoon is back with a convenient list of every game set to release on the PlayStation Vita this month.

Super Mario 16: My Quest to Speedrun Mario 64 (Part 1) (By: @generic_username)

Generic_username is on a quest to be able to speedrun Super Mario 64. Discover why and how his effort is developing in recent days.

Join The Discussion

It's a marriage no one asked for!
It's a marriage no one asked for!

Games To Play With Wife Watching (By: @seriousbug)

SeriousBug's wife loves watching him play video games, but they need YOUR help in selecting the next game they enjoy together!

Netflix Announces Castlevania Television Show (By: @dafdiego777)

What is your gut reaction to Netflix's announcement of a Castlevania animated TV Show? Share your fears and desires for what I can only imagine will be a colossal train-wreck.

Is The Start Of 2017 Shaping Up A Bit Too Well For Games? (By: @nietzschecookie)

What games from the first quarter of 2017 are you most excited about and cannot wait to play? Vote and discuss your picks over here!

Are you finding Fire Emblem Heroes to be a ton of fun, or a horrible nightmare?
Are you finding Fire Emblem Heroes to be a ton of fun, or a horrible nightmare?

Fire Emblem Heroes Discussion Thread (By: @zevvion)

Have tried out Nintendo's latest mobile offering, and the Fire Emblem's first foray into iOS and mobile? If you have feel free to share what your experiences with Fire Emblem Heroes has been like.

Street Fighter II Is Twenty-Six Years Old (By: @pauljeremiah)

Twenty-six years ago Street Fighter II came out in arcades! Share your first experience and/or impression with the game among other nostalgic users.

In Your Eyes, Which Fighting Game Franchise Is The Definitive #2 In The Genre? (By: @liquiddragon)

Speaking of fighting games, which fighting game franchise is the definitive #2 in the genre? Join our discussion and poll as to which series you think can tango with Street Fighter.

For Honor Open Beta Discussion Thread (By: @zanien)

Did you have the chance to tinker around with the open beta for For Honor? If you did, share your initial impressions of what you played over here.

Lovable Lists

Super Shotgun > Double-Barrel Shotgun in Doom. FIGHT ME!
Super Shotgun > Double-Barrel Shotgun in Doom. FIGHT ME!

Favorite Shotguns In Games (By: @psykhophear)

Ranging from Doom to Left 4 Dead, Psykhophear created a list annotating what are his favorite shotguns in video games!

Princess Personality (By: @mento)

Giant Bomb moderator examines how Zelda's characterization has evolved throughout the franchise which bears her name from beginning to end.

Useful User Reviews

Wonderful Wikis

ALL UNITS!
ALL UNITS!

Halo Wars

Halo Wars is set to have a definitive edition released soon, and you can read why some think it is worthy of such treatment on our massive wiki page for the game.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Finally made it to The Community Spotlight ^_^

zeouterlimits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

...isn't the Double-Barreled shotgun in Doom also called the Super Shotgun?

Good gun, nonetheless. I actually used it all the time in DOOM (2016) in my playthrough.

arawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great stuff!

Pfhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Thanks for helping promote our Giant Bomb Elysium guild. We have 62 members and are growing daily! Big up @zombiepie!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is so cool! So much amazing stuff! Great job to all those who took part or helped organize the giant bomb game jam!!!! You folks are awesome!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

You are WRONG about me being sick of Rounadabout videos.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just had to twist that knife and mention Persona 5, huh? *cries*

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 24

Eh, is that how Google Translate translates "police state" into Chinese?

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hi, I made that and haha yeah, it actually roughly would say POLICE COUNTY? POLICE COUNTRY? anyway I have no experience speaking japanese so I was just hoping no one would notice!

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Thanks for including my comic in this! :D :D

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By ZombiePie

@rxanadu said:

...isn't the Double-Barreled shotgun in Doom also called the Super Shotgun?

This is what happens when someone who has never played Doom tries to make a Doom joke.

@pabba said:

Thanks for including my comic in this! :D :D

Thank you so much for creating the comic! Feel free to keep me updated on future works of yours as I almost missed it.

Finally made it to The Community Spotlight ^_^

Thank you for creating what you did this week, and thank you for sending me a PM updating me on your activities.

@pfhor said:

Thanks for helping promote our Giant Bomb Elysium guild. We have 62 members and are growing daily! Big up @zombiepie!

Always happy to promote a community guild for any game. Even if I have never played World of Warcraft, it is always fun to help get people connected.

Just had to twist that knife and mention Persona 5, huh? *cries*

Watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run is the closest I have ever come to playing a Persona game, but this new game certainly looks interesting. But seriously, how long can you all tolerate being teased by a company?

Also, I was very close to promoting this screencap, but it felt "wrong" in so many ways:

No Caption Provided

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Eh, when every company does, you get used to it. For that screencap, good thing its before Mario Party Party or he would have fallen asleep during it. I wonder if the official channel or the unarchived has more content duration-wise as the latter has all the TNT and other various livestream...

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By coolarman

I will never be tired of the Roundabout meme.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By infantpipoc

@mub said:
@infantpipoc said:

Oh hi, I made that and haha yeah, it actually roughly would say POLICE COUNTY? POLICE COUNTRY? anyway I have no experience speaking japanese so I was just hoping no one would notice!

I happen to be a Chinese who majored in Japanese during my college years, so I am sensitive to English speakers using Chinese character/kanji. "州"(zhou) is roughly what we translate "state" as in "one state in the United States of America" into here in China, so there is that.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mub said:
@infantpipoc said:

I happen to be a Chinese who majored in Japanese during my college years, so I am sensitive to English speakers using Chinese character/kanji. "州"(zhou) is roughly what we translate "state" as in "one state in the United States of America" into here in China, so there is that.

That's very interesting actually!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@mrcraggle: Well, let's just say that mistakes were made on my part then. My sincerest apologies to @fobwashed. This unfortunately isn't the first time I have misattributed a user created work when it came to Steve.

I will never be tired of the Roundabout meme.

I mean... it's the same joke over and over again. Something has to give at some point.

@mub said:
@infantpipoc said:
@mub said:
@infantpipoc said:

That's very interesting actually!

I would also like to chime and say that this conversation was highly entertaining and educational.

This still does not beat the time two or three users attempted to discuss how to make communism practical or workable... oh were the heady days of Whiskey Media.

_Mattallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41